Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner55, June 26, 2018, 8:44am
After all the comings & goings of recent days, does anyone have an up to date list of what the squad now looks like?
Thanks
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 26, 2018, 9:21am; Reply: 1
http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 26, 2018, 9:31am; Reply: 2
I like that bit at the bottom Craig Disley..legend..forever
Posted by: psgmariner, June 26, 2018, 9:38am; Reply: 3
I like the way JJ Hooper is simply Jonathan Hooper.
Posted by: Mariner55, June 26, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 4
many thanks
Posted by: WokingMariner, June 26, 2018, 11:07am; Reply: 5
https://thefishy.co.uk/squad.php
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 26, 2018, 11:10am; Reply: 6
Looking at the list, I hope we don’t sign too many more. I think our friends down the road, despite coming up short in the end, had absolutely the right idea keeping their squad small.

Quite exciting times ahead.
Posted by: mariner91, June 26, 2018, 11:24am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Heisenberg
Looking at the list, I hope we don’t sign too many more. I think our friends down the road, despite coming up short in the end, had absolutely the right idea keeping their squad small.

Quite exciting times ahead.

We need at least 5 more I think. As it stands we've got 19 players. 3 of those have never made a FL appearance (A. Rose, Wright and Robles) and Clifton only has a handful to his name. Between our five strikers they've only got between them 32 goals in professional football (16 each for Cook and Hooper) so we clearly need some more fire power at the very least.

I reckon we need a goalscorer as a priority, another forward/striker/wide forward depending on what formation Jolley is planning to use, a back up keeper, another right back and possibly another centre back too. If Dixon leaves which has been rumoured then we'd also need cover at left back.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 26, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 8
I think we only need 2 more 3 at the most,

A back up keeper and a goal scoring striker ( might need to spend some money on that one )

Plus a player that can play in a few different positions.
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 26, 2018, 12:01pm; Reply: 9
A matchday squad is 18 and we have 19 (if Akheem's contract goes through) so we need at least another 5...

• Backup keeper
• Right Back
•• 2 Wingers
• and a Quality Striker

Squad of 24 should be about right.
Last season saw 13 released and 7 loanees return to their parent club, so 20 players replaced by 12 would suggest a smaller and tighter group with added quality. Bring on the new season
Posted by: Mariner55, June 26, 2018, 12:12pm; Reply: 10
We now have a squad of 19.  We ended last season with a ridiculously large squad - 34 (including Clements).  Even if we end up with as many as 26 then that still represents a 25% reduction in squad size.  I think we need another defender, GK and then invest heavily in a goal-scoring forward.  That would mean a squad of circa 22 - quality not quantity will get us promotion.  
Posted by: Tommy, June 26, 2018, 12:19pm; Reply: 11
I think anything between 22-24 players will do us.

Enough for two 11v11 teams in training and allows for one or two extra. Would probably see you have two players for each position. And still gives a bit of room if need be to add to the squad during the season with loans without making the squad too big.
Posted by: Cloudy, June 26, 2018, 12:26pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Tommy
I think anything between 22-24 players will do us.

Enough for two 11v11 teams in training and allows for one or two extra. Would probably see you have two players for each position. And still gives a bit of room if need be to add to the squad during the season with loans without making the squad too big.

Hopefully we can promote from the youth squad to cover any vacancies on the bench that may arise. Much rather give the kids a taste rather than loanees, although I wouldn't be adverse to a decent season long loan
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 26, 2018, 12:27pm; Reply: 13
Think with the transfer window being shut one week after the season starts up until January having a small squad with potential injuries etc could be a potential danger this year.
Posted by: Tommy, June 26, 2018, 12:38pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Cloudy

Hopefully we can promote from the youth squad to cover any vacancies on the bench that may arise. Much rather give the kids a taste rather than loanees, although I wouldn't be adverse to a decent season long loan

Absolutely agree.

I was thinking more of a loan to strengthen the XI rather than a loan to provide squad depth (more Nathan Pond than some others we've had that hardly feature).

I don't think we'll dip into the loan market so much unless its a season long loan (striker potentially?) or to cover injuries.
Posted by: Cloudy, June 26, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Tommy

Absolutely agree.

I was thinking more of a loan to strengthen the XI rather than a loan to provide squad depth (more Nathan Pond than some others we've had that hardly feature).

I don't think we'll dip into the loan market so much unless its a season long loan (striker potentially?) or to cover injuries.

Isn't the loan market just for a half, or full season loans now?
You have until the end of August and then again in the January window? No loans outside of these times?
Posted by: Tommy, June 26, 2018, 1:34pm; Reply: 16
Yeah think you're right actually. Even so, I'd be surprised to see as many loans this year as we had last year. Don't think there'll be the same knee-jerk from Management, recruitment has probably been better (although tough to say at this stage when we haven't seen most of them play), and mainly, I expect Jolley and Limbrick to be able to get more out of them - by coaching first and foremost, and adapting tactically.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 26, 2018, 2:17pm; Reply: 17
We always get a few loan players, normally one or two season long loans
Posted by: Maringer, June 26, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 18
I'd imagine that it will be permanent signings first with loanees to follow in the coming month or so.

The reasons are quite obvious. Most of the permanent signings tend to be out of contract so will not be getting paid in a few days time so they have more of an impetus to make a move. I tend to think that we will probably pick up a few long-term loan players (who are getting paid regardless, of course) once their home clubs have completed the rest of their signings - not to say that an informal agreement couldn't be discussed before then.

I'd say that the departure of Warrington would probably make a loan goalkeeper less likely as a club with a youngster with promise wouldn't be keen to ship them out for experience without knowing what sort of a training they would be receiving.
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, June 26, 2018, 2:20pm; Reply: 19
I'm going to asume Dixon will be going at some point, leaving us with a squad of 18 if Rose signs.

Looking at that list I'd say we need as a minimum
Backup GK
Full Back
Winger
Striker
Probably another Centre back too, having only 3 is a bit risky in my opinion.

I think Rose could benefit from a loan in the National League too given that he's not played any first team football yet.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 26, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 20
Any news on the young Leeds striker who was injured.  Seemed to think he may be back.  Although Leeds do have a new manager now, so that might put a spanner in the works !!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 26, 2018, 3:39pm; Reply: 21
i'm sure I remember Jolley being open about the possibilities of taking 1 or 2 loan players for the season
Posted by: fiveallive, June 26, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 22
It's great to be signing players early aswell compared to last year bringing in a load of trialists you get the odd decent one, Slade panicked signed players late last year the players nobody wanted.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 5:34pm