Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: hheh2, June 25, 2018, 2:04pm
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1011232699753869312

Sad to see him go, transformed as a player last season.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 1
Strange one for me.

16/17 season he was crap
last season he was ok but his effort stood out for me, so he goes with my best wishes.

Would he of been good enough to challenge at the top half of the league? not for me.
Posted by: Tommy, June 25, 2018, 2:08pm; Reply: 2
I don't think he was half as crap in his first season as people make out.
He made a few stray passes that resulted in the opposition being able to attack our goal early in the season and that stuck with him. But in general he was OK. Don't forget we weren't far off the play offs with him being a constant in the midfield early on. Could be proven wrong but I'm not sure any of these stray passes actually led to goals against us either, maybe one?
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, June 25, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 3
Think we've very clearly signed better. Had a decent season in a struggling side and has been more than adequately replaced so no worries here
Posted by: Father Christmas, June 25, 2018, 2:12pm; Reply: 4
The clubs been very fair with him and given him plenty of time to make a decision. No doubt he’ll be moving down to kidderminster now so he can crack on with his second job. Read he’s just passed his firefighting training and plans to be a retained firefighter in kiddy.

Good luck to him but no great loss to town.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, June 25, 2018, 2:12pm; Reply: 5
we needed more goals from midfielder imo and in 2 seasons he scored 1 goal, against Stevenage at home.
Posted by: Garth, June 25, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 6
Full of effort and some skill, sorry to see him leave because he had improved a lot since the season before last,  when he was shipped out on loan to save his blushes,  Good Luck for the future
Posted by: topuphere666, June 25, 2018, 2:15pm; Reply: 7
Decent for this level. He stood out last season - more so because he was surrounded by absolute garbage at times but he took the team by the scruff and led well in the final 8 games.

Good luck with the firefighter role.
Posted by: hheh2, June 25, 2018, 2:16pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Father Christmas
The clubs been very fair with him and given him plenty of time to make a decision. No doubt he’ll be moving down to kidderminster now so he can crack on with his second job. Read he’s just passed his firefighting training and plans to be a retained firefighter in kiddy.

He certainly has a fighting spirit for sure
Posted by: forza ivano, June 25, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from topuphere666
Decent for this level. He stood out last season - more so because he was surrounded by absolute garbage at times but he took the team by the scruff and led well in the final 8 games.

Good luck with the firefighter role.

Agreed. although hessenthaler scores fewer than summerfield you have to think we've got someone who's better quality and 6 years younger
Posted by: Chips44, June 25, 2018, 2:26pm; Reply: 10
Very sorry he's gone.   For me , with his drive and commitment , he would have made an excellent captain.
  Wish him all the best.
Posted by: Maringer, June 25, 2018, 2:34pm; Reply: 11
Disappointed he didn't stay after he was the real engine of our team last season. Where might we have finished without his considerable efforts?

I don't doubt he'll get himself a decent deal for a year or two elsewhere and I wish him luck.

It sounds as though the midfielders we now have at the club will put in a similar amount of effort so we shouldn't miss him too much.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 25, 2018, 2:48pm; Reply: 12
He leaves with our best wishes.  He was instrumental in keeping us up.
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 25, 2018, 2:49pm; Reply: 13
I liked him last year for his workrate and commitment but this season it looks like these qualities are a bare minimum and brought in better players ahead of him. Wondering if Hessenthaler was off our radar until recently hence the offer to Summers still stood. Now Jake is signed on the offer has been removed so not to crowd the midfield too much
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 25, 2018, 2:50pm; Reply: 14
Might come across harsh or get red crossed but am not in the slightest bothered.

Todays signing imo is an improvement and summerfield was one that gave it all and moves with my best wishes but good for us imo he moves on.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 25, 2018, 3:05pm; Reply: 15
Good luck to him. I don’t think he was that crap in his first season but I think he just did the bare minimum at times. That loan at Macclesfield gave him a kick up the behind and last seaon he stepped up and even when we looked doomed you could see the effort. I’m not that gutted he’s gone though as I really think to make a stride forward we needed to make a couple of stronger additions in the middle of the park, however I also wouldn’t have complained if he’d stayed. I’m assuming the club retracted the contract offer because of the time he was taking to decide and because of new signings. Either way good luck to the guy. I’m sure he’ll land in LG2 somewhere and do a job wherever he goes
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 25, 2018, 3:06pm; Reply: 16
Seems to me that maybe the club had got frustrated waiting for his response and with the arrival of younger, fresher blood in his position they decided to pull the plug on his offer.
Yes, I agree with most that he was the engine house in a misfiring team last year and I for one would have liked to have seen.him stay.
All that said, I'm not sure we will miss him, once young jack, jordan, Elliot and crowd bang a few in, I know I'm optimistic there, I think summers will be a distant memory in our minds. Was never going to be a town.legend as his truly split opinion and unfortunately played in one of the worst squads I have seen in my 42-years of supporting GTFC..
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 25, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Stew0_0
I liked him last year for his workrate and commitment but this season it looks like these qualities are a bare minimum and brought in better players ahead of him. Wondering if Hessenthaler was off our radar until recently hence the offer to Summers still stood. Now Jake is signed on the offer has been removed so not to crowd the midfield too much

On the IFollow interview with Hessenthaler he says that he spoke to MJ a while ago, so MJ has probably had this lined up in case of Summerfield leaving. If Summerfield had stayed we might not have signed JH.
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 25, 2018, 3:20pm; Reply: 18
Summerfield may rock up at macclesfield ???
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 25, 2018, 3:32pm; Reply: 19
Stand out player for me last season.  If it wasn't for the sentimental vote going for McKeown I think Summerfield would have taken a clean sweep at the Player of the Year awards.

I thought he would have proved a very good foundation for more attacking midfielders this season, however I don't think he's irreplaceable either.

We move on.
Posted by: Hannilowe, June 25, 2018, 3:54pm; Reply: 20
It's a shame he is gone, but I think we have better now with the likes of Whitehouse, Hessenthaler, and Cook coming in, alongside M. Rose and Clifton.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 25, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 21
Thanks for your efforts Luke, especially towards the end of the season and helping us miss the drop.

Decent player for most bottom half L2 clubs I think.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 25, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 22
Liked his commitment and effort stood out last season and rightly so he had plenty of time to decide good luck Summers you turned the tide of opinion around here not an easy thing to achieve.
Posted by: oldun, June 25, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 23
I thought Summers was very good for the second half of the season. Showed real commitment to the cause. If we had had a few more with his fitness and work rate we would not have been in the relegation battle. I suspect location was a bit difficult for him. I personally wish him well.
Posted by: Garth, June 25, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 24
One massive weakness in his play was the inability to score goals like Dis did
Posted by: newarkmariner, June 25, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 25
Was absolute crap 1st season but made me eat my words last,was a real battler at a time that we really needed one, He goes with my thanks and good wishes for the future
Posted by: Welwynmariner, June 25, 2018, 6:29pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Stew0_0
Summerfield may rock up at macclesfield ???

Have thought exactly that for a while now. He was on loan there in 16/17 and it's allegedly closer to home so presumably he's been holding out for their best offer.
Posted by: Zmariner, June 25, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 27
Massive impact on us staying up and sad to see him go. When we needed players with bottle he was brilliant. Always gave his very best and I wish him all th best utm
Posted by: mariner91, June 25, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 28
All the best Summers, never one to put in less than 100% and we needed your endeavour and spirit last season as you made a real difference when you came back from injury at the end of the season.

Think this also shows how professionally MJ works. Had the offer on the table for Summers but clearly been working on other (quite possibly better) plans at the same time and as soon as they come to fruition it's "Thank you and good luck".
Posted by: golfer, June 25, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Father Christmas

Where did you read that he was to be a retained firefighter F.C. I know he was training but thought he would be taking up his new career after his playing days. What happens if he is called out in an emergency half way through a match and they have used all their subs.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 25, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from golfer

Where did you read that he was to be a retained firefighter F.C. I know he was training but thought he would be taking up his new career after his playing days. What happens if he is called out in an emergency half way through a match and they have used all their subs.

They'll call Fireman Sam  8)
Posted by: Grimal, June 25, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 31
I liked Summers but feel MJ is picking better replacements for all positions. Great work by manager and the board. Early days and other parts of the jigsaw still needed but looking good.
Posted by: golfer, June 25, 2018, 7:44pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They'll call Fireman Sam  8)

1]   Is he a midfielder ?

2]   Have they got a car park where he can park his fire engine ?

3]    Will Chief Fire Officer Boyce get a free ticket if he lets him play?
Posted by: Grimbiggs, June 25, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 33
Can't blame his effort and commitment last season, but we've got to remember this was the poorest squad we've had so far this decade....wish him all the best, but if we want to move forward we have to have better players than him, and I think Jolley has signed better players
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 4:37am