Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner55, June 25, 2018, 1:42pm
The new signing is  Jake Hessenthaler, a midfielder from Gillingham.  I'm 100% sure of this.
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 25, 2018, 1:46pm; Reply: 1
Looks a good signing, plenty of experience in a league higher and still only 24.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 25, 2018, 1:47pm; Reply: 2
Let's hope he's as quality as his old man was
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), June 25, 2018, 1:47pm; Reply: 3
Signs 2 year deal
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 25, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 4
Strange that he was released from Gillingham after playing quite a few games for them
Posted by: Maringer, June 25, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 5
His Dad was always a right pain in the neck when he played us, so hopefully similar sort of attitude and ability. A big move if he's been in the south east all his career.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 25, 2018, 1:53pm; Reply: 6
some encouraging comments here and on following page

http://gillsconnected.proboards.com/thread/9345/retained-list?page=2
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, June 25, 2018, 2:02pm; Reply: 7
also Summerfield offer has been withdrawn now so he is departing us.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 25, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 8
Thinking of how we might line up.

The back four would appear to be Fox, Whitmore, Davis and RHJ.

We could have a midfield three of Whitehouse, Hessenthaler and Clifton. That looks pretty good to me.

I like Hoper wide left. I assume Cook will be up front. Leaving only wide right to sort out. Max Wright possibly?
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 25, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 9
Our best signing so far IMO.
Posted by: hheh2, June 25, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 10
Gillingham fans rate him and hes young. He cracked it at league one level so top signing for us!
Posted by: acko338, June 25, 2018, 2:15pm; Reply: 11
Cracking signing with a proven record at the level above - welcome, and hurry up new season.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, June 25, 2018, 2:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from RonMariner
Thinking of how we might line up.

The back four would appear to be Fox, Whitmore, Davis and RHJ.

We could have a midfield three of Whitehouse, Hessenthaler and Clifton. That looks pretty good to me.

I like Hoper wide left. I assume Cook will be up front. Leaving only wide right to sort out. Max Wright possibly?

Maybe Mitch Rose in midfield and Clifton wide right?
Posted by: bedders78, June 25, 2018, 2:22pm; Reply: 13
From Gills supporting mate:

"Son of our greatest ever player. I think he’s decent but not much more than that. Strangely when I used to go in my early 20s he was a very young kid and used to kick the ball in goal during the warm up, big cheer from the crowd and he’d run back to his dad. Very sweet"

Decent league 1 player and goal scoring crowd favourite in his younger days.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 25, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Maybe Mitch Rose in midfield and Clifton wide right?

Sounds good. Rose in front of the back four, the other two in more attacking roles. Including Rose we now have three midfield players who can score goals.  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 25, 2018, 2:45pm; Reply: 15
He will be living locally as he is coming from Kent.
Posted by: GTFCH, June 25, 2018, 2:50pm; Reply: 16
Am I the only one who thinks he looks a bit like a grown up Stuart Little? Best signing so far I believe though.
Posted by: monkeyboy, June 25, 2018, 2:51pm; Reply: 17
7 goals in 160 outings, i dont think hes in for his attacking ability.
Looks a very much improved replacement for Summers, i think Rose will be a more attacking midfielder this year, he does score a few.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 25, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 18
Sounds encouraging. As has been mentioned, his dad was a very good player with an excellent attitude, hopefully he's a chip off the old block.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 25, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 19
Good day all round.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 25, 2018, 3:01pm; Reply: 20
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/life-beyond-the-premier-league-jake-hessenthaler-is-flourishing-with-his-dad-in-the-gills-dugout-9727666.html

Interesting read....
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 25, 2018, 3:13pm; Reply: 21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPCbizqbJM

A few more of these and he'll be a town legend :-)
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 25, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 22
Good to see that MJ is insisiting on new signings moving to the area too.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 25, 2018, 3:24pm; Reply: 23
Gills fans thoughts.

http://gillsconnected.proboards.com/thread/9393/jake-hess-grimsby
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 24
Should fit in. I always felt like Gillingham was a Grimsby like place, just set in the south.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 25, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

Can somebody cleverer than me construct a composite of pictures of Brigsley, Waltham, Scartho, Barnoldby, Humberston the dock tower, St. James church and the rest to send to other fans forums every time they say "shithole" or as in this case "not much of a place"?

Obviously miss out Freeman Street and any bad areas but it is really getting on my nerves about Grimsby being rubbish. Of course Gillingham will be like Monte Carlo when the sun is out, without a doubt.
Posted by: pizzzza, June 25, 2018, 4:49pm; Reply: 26

or as in this case "not much of a place"?

He missed a golden opportunity for a pun there.
Posted by: oldun, June 25, 2018, 5:51pm; Reply: 27
A close family member of mine lives in Sittingbourne and keeps tabs on The Gills reckons he will be a good signing for us and give the midfield legs. So a midfield 3 of Rose, Whitehouse and Hessenthaler looks pretty strong to me.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2018, 6:16pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from oldun
A close family member of mine lives in Sittingbourne and keeps tabs on The Gills reckons he will be a good signing for us and give the midfield legs. So a midfield 3 of Rose, Whitehouse and Hessenthaler looks pretty strong to me.

Mmmm. Shepherd Neame.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 25, 2018, 7:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Should fit in. I always felt like Gillingham was a Grimsby like place, just set in the south.

I get what you’re saying and agree having worked in the Chatham area for a bit 4/5 yrs back very similar
Posted by: moosey_club, June 25, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Sounds encouraging. As has been mentioned, his dad was a very good player with an excellent attitude, hopefully he's a chip off the old block.

?? His dad was good..sounds encouraging...how good his dad was is hardly an indcation is it..for instance my dad never really played football so was absolutely rubbish at it whereas i .....erm erm well anyway it makes no difference.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I get what you’re saying and agree having worked in the Chatham area for a bit 4/5 yrs back very similar

Bloody cold on that north Kent coast too with the wind whistling straight down the North Sea.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 2:58pm