Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 24, 2018, 11:44am

A few pictures to help reminisce.......      

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/gallery/remember-blundell-park-standing-might-1708462
Posted by: Kris2, June 24, 2018, 12:01pm; Reply: 1
Some music to help you while you remember the way things used to be https://youtu.be/hOX15agZ3-0
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 24, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 2
Great times in the ponny when it was standing.
And, to be honest, never once felt unsafe.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 24, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Great times in the ponny when it was standing.
And, to be honest, never once felt unsafe.

Me neither ...well until Chelsea came in but thankfully our elders of the day dealt with them
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, June 24, 2018, 12:32pm; Reply: 4
I was at the back of the Pontoon for the Everton & Wolves games in the league cup. Couldn't see a bloody thing but brilliant atmosphere
Posted by: LH, June 24, 2018, 12:36pm; Reply: 5
I’ve bever known BP with standing. Hopefully that will change with a law change but I can’t see that happening with the current government.
Posted by: mariners1, June 24, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 6
As a kid i spent my first few seasons in the barratts stand, climbing those rickety stairs up the rear of the stand to  the top and i swear it used to sway when it was full. Blimey... i've just realised i'm and old man now
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 24, 2018, 12:48pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Jackie Lewis
I was at the back of the Pontoon for the Everton & Wolves games in the league cup. Couldn't see a bloody thing but brilliant atmosphere

I was in the Barrett's stand....the atmosphere against Everton that night was probably the best I have ever witnessed a BP.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 24, 2018, 1:34pm; Reply: 8
I was at the front of the osmond when we beat Exeter 2-1 to seal promotion and got crushed against the fence at the front for both goals and remember being scared and excited at the same time . If only my lads could ever experience that they’d realise why being a football fan is so amazing !!
Posted by: Badger57, June 24, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 9
It was great in the pontoon but sometimes scary if you were young. When Town scored you could end up to 10 yards away from your original position!
I also remember a couple of dangerous moments. The first was when the crush barriers were wooden in a game against Scunny. Town scored, the surge forward was too much for one of the barriers and it collapsed. I don't recall if anyone got injured though.
The second was shortly after the Bradford disaster when a small fire broke out below the stand. You could see the fire through the wooden floorboards. Fortunately it was swiftly put out but could have been another very serious incident.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 24, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 10
My formative Town watching was in the Barratt stand. I'm sure the whole structure moved six feet northwards during some games  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 24, 2018, 2:16pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner
My formative Town watching was in the Barratt stand. I'm sure the whole structure moved six feet northwards during some games  ;)

I got told it was an old barn that was moved to BP......probably not.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 24, 2018, 3:09pm; Reply: 12
Bloody big barn PP.

I read it didn't have foundations/deep foundations.
Posted by: lee65, June 24, 2018, 3:50pm; Reply: 13
In the late 70's, when I was in my teens, I used to get in to the Pontoon around 2pm to ensure a good view (leaning on one of the rails)
I used to love watching the crowd and atmosphere build up before kick off!
Posted by: jock dock tower, June 24, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from promotion plaice

I was in the Barrett's stand....the atmosphere against Everton that night was probably the best I have ever witnessed a BP.

It was THE place to be on the night absolutelyfuckingbollockybillbrilliant.
Posted by: Townee82, June 24, 2018, 4:20pm; Reply: 15
Remember being in the barrets in the mid 70s against i think Gillingham and having some old guy pointing out Henry Kissinger in the main stand i would of been 11 or so at the time and was thinking to myself  ,who the hell is he talking about ?
Posted by: Belfast Town, June 24, 2018, 4:47pm; Reply: 16
I’ve stood in some of the biggest stands in the country: the Kop (against Town), the Kippax, Old Trafford, and the North Bank, but never experienced a better atmosphere than in the Pontoon. The surges when we scored were amazing - completely effing mental to be honest!

There have been some scary moments though: when the wooden sleepers were burning shortly after the Bradford fire sticks in the memory (someone offering to urine on it was hilarious) and the fighting against Leeds particularly come to mind.

But I do feel for the younger fans who will never experience those days.
Posted by: Grim74, June 24, 2018, 5:08pm; Reply: 17
Lets go fxcking mental was mental.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 24, 2018, 7:00pm; Reply: 18
When I was 11 I was very small for my age and I used to queue long before the turnstiles even opened. I used to take a packed lunch with me to eat while stood in the (very short) queue :)

My intention was to stand behind the Pontoon stairwell then it was impossible for anyone to stand in front of me. These were much sought after spots amongst my age group, hence my solution was to form a Wimbledon-style queue long before anyone else came along.  8)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 24, 2018, 8:07pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from GrimRob
When I was 11 I was very small for my age and I used to queue long before the turnstiles even opened. I used to take a packed lunch with me to eat while stood in the (very short) queue :)

My intention was to stand behind the Pontoon stairwell then it was impossible for anyone to stand in front of me. These were much sought after spots amongst my age group, hence my solution was to form a Wimbledon-style queue long before anyone else came along.  8)

And thus started your lifelong fascination with working out the odds!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 24, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 20
Would arrive at BP for about 1:30pm to take up my spot three quaters up in the middle behind the goal in the Pontoon, many a time ended near the front after a goal, those were the days.
Posted by: mrsd, June 24, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 21
I used to stand near the tunnel in the Main Stand. We spotted a fire under the Stand one game. It was fine, a steward took a bucket of water to put it out!
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 7:20pm