Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cloudy, June 23, 2018, 2:13pm
With the comings and goings I may have lost track who we have and were we are lacking.
Clearly need a back up keeper, maybe another auxiliary defender, winger and at least one main striker?

Maybe 4 or 5 more?
Posted by: Meza, June 23, 2018, 2:35pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Cloudy
With the comings and goings I may have lost track who we have and were we are lacking.
Clearly need a back up keeper, maybe another auxiliary defender, winger and at least one main striker?

Maybe 4 or 5 more?

Thats what i think Cloudy 4/5 more maybe 6 now Dembele has left or 7 if Simmers leaves.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 23, 2018, 2:39pm; Reply: 2
Back up keeper, back up full backs.do we need 4 central defenders (3at present)?.central midfield looks v full but out wide there's not much so 1 or 2 wide men? Goalscorer and/ or an old head badly needed so could be anything from 4-8
Posted by: Meza, June 23, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 3
Mckeown
-----------------
Reece-hall Johnson
Paul Dixon
Andrew Fox
--------------------
Harry Davis
Alex Whitmore
Dannt Collins
---------------------
Elliott Whitehouse
Mitch Rose
Luke Summerfield?
Harry Clifton
Maryn Woolford
Max Wright
-----------------------
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell
Louis Robles
JJ Hooper
Ahkeem Rose?

Posted by: livosnose, June 23, 2018, 3:24pm; Reply: 4
I hope I'm wrong but currently think we are going to struggle for goals
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 23, 2018, 3:32pm; Reply: 5
6/7 more if Summers/Rose sign, 8 or 9 if they don't - GK, right back, 4th centre back, 2 wide midfielders, 2 more midfield & 2 strikers
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 23, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from livosnose

Hard to say until we've seen how we set up under a full summer under Jolley. As improved as we were last 5 games of last season, we still weren't free-scoring - FGR game aside. None of the guys we've brought in have great scoring records so I can understand the concern.

But we've brought guys in before with pretty average records who've gone on to score for fun (Amond) and it all depends on how Jolley sets these players up.  It really wouldn't surprise me if we have 5/6 guys breaking double figures rather than one guy getting 25+

That all said, I've a gut feeling that both Hooper and Cardwell will massively benefit from a full summer under Jolley and his team. Be interesting to see if Jolley gets any of the Dembele money to re-invest in a striker too.
Posted by: Bigdog, June 23, 2018, 4:42pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from livosnose

As it stands at the minute, I'm a little underwhelmed with our transfer window so far. Hoping for some "hairs on the neck" signings in the near future..
Posted by: Superdan147, June 23, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 8
Think MJ is clearly a man with a plan and his signing exactly the right people who he believes will fit his system. I’m pretty certain it will be a 4-2-3-1 . It seems as though there’ll be 2 players for every position so with our current 15 contracted players I’d imagine another 7 to come in.

1 Back up keeper
1 right back
1 centre back
1 defensive midfielder
1 attacking right sided forward/winger
2 first choice strikers

As some others have said, I’m concerned as to where the goals will come from although I believe the 3 behind the main man will hopefully contribute well. We cannot go into the season with only Harry Cardwell. We need a main man (hopefully chris long)
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 23, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 9
Currently squad of 15 as collins not confirmed. Either way we need about 8 more. Squad of 23 as matchday squad needs 18 and 3 of those will be Clifton, Wright and Akheem Rose. All with less than 15 league games between them.
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 23, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 10
Backup keeper,
Utility defender who can cover RB and CB,
Central midfielder,
Quality winger,
Quality striker

That should give us enough to start the season at least without bloating the squad too much.
Posted by: Tommy, June 23, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Superdan147
Think MJ is clearly a man with a plan and his signing exactly the right people who he believes will fit his system. I’m pretty certain it will be a 4-2-3-1 . It seems as though there’ll be 2 players for every position so with our current 15 contracted players I’d imagine another 7 to come in.

1 Back up keeper
1 right back
1 centre back
1 defensive midfielder
1 attacking right sided forward/winger
2 first choice strikers

As some others have said, I’m concerned as to where the goals will come from although I believe the 3 behind the main man will hopefully contribute well. We cannot go into the season with only Harry Cardwell. We need a main man (hopefully chris long)

What makes you so certain of that?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 23, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 12
I don't think there will be a set system as such. Hurst used to set teams up to counter teams strengths but I think MJ will set our team up to counter teams weaknesses.

To be adaptable during a game you need some utility players in the squad but I think we need:

Backup to McKeown
Right Back
Defender to cover across the back line
2x wingers
Summerfield/his replacement
2x strikers

With pre-season starting next week it would be ideal if we could get most of the above done this next week.
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, June 23, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 13
Don't know if MJ is the type of manager to have a bunch of trailists in for pre season. I'm sure there are a ton of out if contract players who'd be worth looking at.  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 23, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Jackie Lewis
Don't know if MJ is the type of manager to have a bunch of trailists in for pre season. I'm sure there are a ton of out if contract players who'd be worth looking at.  

Genuine question..... When was the last tike we had a trialist that actually turned out to be half decent?!? Derek Niven?
Posted by: Abdul19, June 23, 2018, 11:28pm; Reply: 15
Dembele?

Although he wasn't a pre season one. Errrrm, Abdul?
Posted by: Mikoo, June 23, 2018, 11:40pm; Reply: 16
craig clay
Posted by: Meza, June 24, 2018, 1:48am; Reply: 17
Andrew Fox but then RS didnt want him.
Posted by: Bigdog, June 24, 2018, 7:35am; Reply: 18
Bearing in mind that teams generally have around three players out injured for every game and we've got three relatively untried kids in our squad, I can't see us managing to get through to the January transfer window with less than 24/25 players. It was a ridiculously large squad that Slade assembled last season but I think many fans are overcompensating that fear of quantity over quality by thinking we need less than we do..

Keeper
RB
1xCB plus another if MJ wants to play three at the back
2x CM, 1x if Summers signs
2x Wide players, maybe less if MJ wants to play wing backs
1x or 2x Strikers depending on preferred formation

MJ has said he wants to be flexible with his approach game to game so I can't see us going into the season with anything less than 24/25 including three youngsters in the squad. He'll want to pick his desired formation on the basis of combating the opposition, not on who is available from a squad that's too small..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 24, 2018, 8:05am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Bigdog
MJ has said he wants to be flexible with his approach game to game so I can't see us going into the season with anything less than 24/25 including three youngsters in the squad. He'll want to pick his desired formation on the basis of combating the opposition, not on who is available from a squad that's too small..

Once the season starts you can only sign free transfers until January although you can sign players on loan until the end of August. Permanent transfers between clubs must be done before the season starts.
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 24, 2018, 9:27am; Reply: 20
With cook having signed, there's probably only room for one more striker, presuming hooper is used as a wide man. I think we definitely need another 2 out and out wingers with pace, because we lack that at present. The central midfield looks pretty full already, especially if Summerfield signs too. And i think a right back, central defender and goal keeper will complete it.
Posted by: Grimal, June 24, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Genuine question..... When was the last tike we had a trialist that actually turned out to be half decent?!? Derek Niven?

Carl Magnay, he looked $hite in his first game as a trialist but didn't turn out to bad did he.

Posted by: Mendonca1995, June 24, 2018, 6:02pm; Reply: 22
Goalscorer needed simple as that surely we can’t rely on cardwell and hooper as proved last season obviously not sure on the other two we’ve signed or what position they might play but we need to for once spend some money on a goalscorer now we have some money I can’t bear to watch another season with no strikers scoring goals !!!
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 6:46am