Source??
Posted by: Tommy, June 22, 2018, 1:52pm; Reply: 2
https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1010137316491489281
Posted by: hheh2, June 22, 2018, 1:52pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from StickfordMariner
Source??

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1010137316491489281
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 22, 2018, 1:59pm; Reply: 4
👍👍good news that a very experienced player is staying on as the average age of the squad is going to be relatively low I’d guess
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 22, 2018, 2:00pm; Reply: 5
Well thats good news
Posted by: GrimRob, June 22, 2018, 2:03pm; Reply: 6
Good stuff
Posted by: denni266, June 22, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 7
Still a good player . and his experience will be needed with the younger players
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 22, 2018, 2:07pm; Reply: 8
Too slow and too many errors last season, so was really not bothered if he left.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 22, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 9
How stupid do the people slagging him off this week look now?
Posted by: Meza, June 22, 2018, 2:26pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pontoonlew
How stupid do the people slagging him off this week look now?

Not sure if they were slagging him off...more about being concerned about his age but thats there opinion.  Im happy he has signed top professional...bags of experience for the younger pro's and was also much improved.  Not sure if he got caught out by lack of pace as some have said.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 22, 2018, 2:39pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Too slow and too many errors last season, so was really not bothered if he left.

Don't mean to be disrespectful but...give your head a wobble, yes he's no bolt but he's anticipation and reading of the game was excellent with some superb tackling thrown into the mix...And, if my memory serves me right never gave a penalty away all season, unlike the donkey called clarke!!...
Posted by: Perkins, June 22, 2018, 3:12pm; Reply: 12
Welcome Danny, even though you never left.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 22, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 13
Glad he’s stayed.

Know what your going to get with him, solid and defensively very clever. Much prefer DC as back up (as that’s what I think he’ll be) than someone we’ve not seen before.

Posted by: 1542 (Guest), June 22, 2018, 3:46pm; Reply: 14
One of the most important signings IMO. His Age and experience is going to be key and he will be a calming influence to develop this MJs Young Guns!!

Do not underestimate this signing!!! DC has been superb!!!

UTM
Posted by: Kris2, June 22, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 15
Almost unexpected considering lots of people were telling me that he'd signed with some MLS team as a player/coach and was just sorting a work visa before he can sign. Maybe that just says most town fans who say they have insider knowledge or sources are full of excrement  ;D. The person who told me was 100% sure he wasn't signing for us.

I think Collins was our best signing when he came in for what he bought to the defence which started off very shaky. Obviously lacking sharpness for his first few games but was soon very effective and calm at the back. I think he helped Pearson a lot with decision making and being a better defender. He's an experienced head and good to have around. He's shown that his age is not an issue, it often isn't with top flight players and many go on until they are 40. He's not lacking in fitness at all and his experience is something he can pass on playing alongside younger players.

I think he was one of the better players of a bad season and probably doesn't get enough credit because of results. Still very effective in the air and a threat for set pieces and a cool head when defending them.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 22, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 16
Maybe Trump would not give him a work visa,

America first !!!!!!!!!

Good older head to have with our younger players.
Posted by: lukeo, June 22, 2018, 5:37pm; Reply: 17
Where is this shown? Os isn't showing anything. Glad if it's true though.
Posted by: Grantley, June 22, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Don't mean to be disrespectful but...give your head a wobble, yes he's no bolt but he's anticipation and reading of the game was excellent with some superb tackling thrown into the mix...And, if my memory serves me right never gave a penalty away all season, unlike the donkey called clarke!!...

Pedant klaxon! He gave one away by handball in the Wycombe home game.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 22, 2018, 6:13pm; Reply: 19
For those he think hes so great, go through the highlights videos and see how many goals were from unmarked players in middle of the pen area (the main bit the centre halfs are supposed to defend) both set pieces and open play and also how often he ended up on his arris when players were running at him. Yes hes ok but nothing outstanding (not as bad as Clarke). I await more red crosses for not agreeing with a lot of people; I'm going to speak to the club now about how I'm being bullied into thinking DC is a great player :).
Posted by: Bigdog, June 22, 2018, 6:57pm; Reply: 20
I thought he was outstanding in some games last season, others he was very poor, In some games he didn't look his age and in others he looked old and shot to pieces.

Time will tell how MJ will use him next season. I'd be very surprised if MJ picks him for every game and more likely expect to see his body being managed more.

I saw the interview with DC when he said that he felt more effective if he played every game. There was plenty of evidence to the contrary at times. At that age you can feel a million dollars physically and for some reason your legs don't work as well and other times feel shattered but surprise yourself and play really well. The ability is definitely there with DC, his body is a bit more inconsistent

Good player, but at times I think he needs to be honest with himself.

MJ is no mug and while DC's experience will be invaluable at times, my prediction is that he will play no more than half of the games next season.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, June 22, 2018, 7:21pm; Reply: 21
For those he think hes so great, go through the highlights videos and see how many goals were from unmarked players in middle of the pen area (the main bit the centre halfs are supposed to defend) both set pieces and open play and also how often he ended up on his arris when players were running at him. Yes hes ok but nothing outstanding (not as bad as Clarke). I await more red crosses for not agreeing with a lot of people; I'm going to speak to the club now about how I'm being bullied into thinking DC is a great player :).

I would keep quiet if i were you. An aggregate of almost 50 red crosses is pretty poor on your part and puts you in a league i wouldnt want to be in.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 22, 2018, 7:42pm; Reply: 22
I'm quiet happy to have him as a back up and rotation option, he'll help the two other lads with his experience if he ends up having a blinder of a season we've done well, if he doesn't it seems like we've got 2 other decent CBs this season who can easily step in.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 22, 2018, 7:42pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chipsandgravy

I would keep quiet if i were you. An aggregate of almost 50 red crosses is pretty poor on your part and puts you in a league i wouldnt want to be in.

Its a record for me, but then I had load of Xs when I said Kelly was cr@p before he kicked a ball for us, ;D
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 22, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 24
What's interesting for me is the logistics of this deal..... DC lives in and commutes from Sunderland 3 times per week, not including match days.

So how does this fit in with MJ's policy of players living within an hour of the ground? Has he changed tact? Will DC be staying in accommodation during the week? Have we bent the rules just for him?
Posted by: sydney, June 22, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 25
Great News
Posted by: moosey_club, June 22, 2018, 8:34pm; Reply: 26
Just the type of centre half we need on the books, physically strong and excellent in the air....may not be needed every game but playing strikers of the ilk of Rhead, Ikpeazu etc a young ,quick centre half wont be much use, there are those physical centre forwards out there who need to be dealt with accordingly just as much as there are quick ones.

Posted by: chaos33, June 22, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 27
Ticks loads of positive boxes. Pleased.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 22, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from chaos33
Ticks loads of positive boxes. Pleased.

What Chaos says......
Posted by: chipsandgravy, June 22, 2018, 9:36pm; Reply: 29

Its a record for me, but then I had load of Xs when I said Kelly was cr@p before he kicked a ball for us, ;D

Well one a season is good Going!!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 22, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 30

Can I borrow your VHS video player, as I no longer have one and haven't for a very long time.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 22, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Can I borrow your VHS video player, as I no longer have one and haven't for a very long time.

VHS far to modern for me, now Betamax! (beta)
Posted by: Hagrid, June 22, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 32
Still waiitng for the club to confirm this!!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 22, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Hagrid

With you on this one...
Posted by: pizzzza, June 22, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Hagrid

They did confirm it.... then deleted it.
Posted by: Pogo, June 23, 2018, 12:31am; Reply: 35
That guy has invaluable experience ... judging by the new signings it’s needed
Posted by: fiveallive, June 23, 2018, 2:54am; Reply: 36
I think having Danny Collins for another year makes sense we have Whitmore and Davis, Collins can help both of them especially young Whitmore having a former Premier league and international player helping you.

Probably won't play every week but definitely worth keeping, and Jolley isn't going ask somebody of Collins age to move when he's settled in the Sunderland area.

I think Collins staying is a positive.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, June 23, 2018, 8:31am; Reply: 37
Still no proof hes signing yet 🤔
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 23, 2018, 10:08am; Reply: 38
Hold your horses on this one, there has to be a reason the club removed the post off the OS in such a fast and efficient manner.
I'm starting to think someone jumped the gun with a pre written statement about Collins signing a new contract and what worries me is there another pre written statement about him leaving and they're waiting to see which statement should be realised to the supporters...
Posted by: Garth, June 23, 2018, 10:18am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Hold your horses on this one, there has to be a reason the club removed the post off the OS in such a fast and efficient manner.
I'm starting to think someone jumped the gun with a pre written statement about Collins signing a new contract and what worries me is there another pre written statement about him leaving and they're waiting to see which statement should be realised to the supporters...

Released even
Posted by: Maringer, June 23, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 40
At his age, I reckon Collins will need to keep playing to get his fitness to the required level, so I'd expect him to be a regular starter. Not sure I'd have kept him for another season but let's hope his experience is enough to keep him at the required level of performance.

If it ends up that he's kept out by other players, a decent option on the bench in case of injury/suspensions.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 23, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Garth

Released even

I don’t think he released he’d put that 😉
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 25, 2018, 9:14am; Reply: 42
Now confirmed

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/collins-re-signs-for-town/
Posted by: pizzzza, June 25, 2018, 10:09am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Mariner_09

There's a shock  ;D
Posted by: Kris2, June 25, 2018, 11:55am; Reply: 44
Guess they pulled it because of all the transfer news on the same day. Can just save it for another day when there is no other news just so they can say something happened. Even though by now everyone knew it already happened last week.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 12:27pm