Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sigone, June 21, 2018, 11:09am
Contract cancelled by mutual consent
Posted by: Hagrid, June 21, 2018, 11:13am; Reply: 1
Good. Bye. Thanks for nothing
Posted by: Kris2, June 21, 2018, 11:17am; Reply: 2
Guess he can go find his level elsewhere. Best decision for everyone because he wasn't going to get games here and not good enough. Probably the worst Slade signing.
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, June 21, 2018, 11:17am; Reply: 3
12 games? I didn't think it was that many. https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/kelly-departs/
Posted by: Kris2, June 21, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 4
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
12 games? I didn't think it was that many. https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/kelly-departs/

Including appearances off the bench? Maybe it was 12 but for some he didn't play much of a part. Maybe he was so ineffective that you didn't notice he was on the pitch.
Posted by: Townee82, June 21, 2018, 11:22am; Reply: 5
Shown some professional pride more than what could be said about some hanger ons we've been lumbered with in the past.
Posted by: mariner91, June 21, 2018, 11:26am; Reply: 6
He was a very poor signing, clearly not even close to L2 standard. But I wish him all the best in whatever level he ends up at.

The good news is that this frees up some more wages and we can bring in someone to replace him with some pace and the ability to go past a man.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 21, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 7
Excellent news
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 21, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 8
Probably end up Conference North level
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 21, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 9
Quoted from mariner91
He was a very poor signing, clearly not even close to L2 standard. But I wish him all the best in whatever level he ends up at.

The good news is that this frees up some more wages and we can bring in someone to replace him with some pace and the ability to go past a man.

Surely if its by mutual consent weve done a deal and paid him off with e.g 50% of his salary?

Posted by: mariner91, June 21, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 10
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

Surely if its by mutual consent weve done a deal and paid him off with e.g 50% of his salary?

Quite possibly which would still free up some of the wages which may have been wasted on him.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 21, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 11
Can we do the same with Dixon?
Posted by: forza ivano, June 21, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 12
best news i've heard in ages. will go down as one of the all time worsts
Posted by: BraStrap, June 21, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 13

Money well spent. We can't change the past and not every signing works out, you have to budget for failures.
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, June 21, 2018, 11:45am; Reply: 14
[quote=120909]Can we do the same with Dixon?[/quote

Would rather keep him as back up then pay him so we can bring in a back up in who is no better. Wouldn't make sense.

Posted by: VinnyGTFC, June 21, 2018, 11:46am; Reply: 15
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
[quote=120909]Can we do the same with Dixon?[/quote

Would rather keep him as back up than  pay him up so we can bring in a back up  who is no better. Wouldn't make sense.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 21, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 16
Great, that's just ruined my 2018/2019 fifa squad....git was my best player last season....thanks GTFC for only thinking about yourself!!...on a serious note, got to say best thing for all parties involved, Kelly was, in his time with us,  never of league  football quality and right now we need quality, not journeymen or bottom of the barrel scraping, proper quality players with league pedigree, more Harry Davis's and Whitehouse's....
Posted by: mariner chopper, June 21, 2018, 11:54am; Reply: 17
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

1. Chesterfield away - 55 mins (taken off for Summers)
2. Stevenage away - 45 mins (taken off for Tombola)
3. Derby home - 64 mins (taken off for Mills)
4. Wycombe home - 45 mins (taken off for DJ)
5. Check-a-trade - Doncaster home - 90 mins
6. Yeovil home - 8 mins (came on for Dembele)
7. Check-a-trade - Scunny away - 90 mins
8. Cheltenham away - 7 mins (came on for Woolford)
9. Check-a-trade - Sunderland U21s home - 90 mins
10. Crawley away - 45 mins (came on for Wilks)
11. Cambridge away - 19 mins (came on for Dixon)
12. Port Vale home - 13 mins (came on for Dembele)
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, June 21, 2018, 11:54am; Reply: 18

Not necessarily, he could have been told your not in the managers plans if you can find something else then we are happy to let you go and cancel your contract.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 21, 2018, 12:11pm; Reply: 19
He has just signed a double your money 2 year contract at Lincoln. ;)
Posted by: Maringer, June 21, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 20
The odd thing about him was that he looked reasonably nippy, had a decent touch and could run with the ball, but there was absolutely no end product whatsoever. I remember in one of his early appearances at BP this season, he went on a good run down the left, beat his defender but then somehow let the ball run out of play instead of getting in a cross!
Posted by: sam gy, June 21, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 21
Strange, strange one. Barely played at all and was very quickly dumped out of the squad by Slade, after just a few games.
Posted by: WokingMariner, June 21, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 22
He didn't gell last year but he may well get on better elsewhere. Good luck to the guy.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 21, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 23
When I saw the title of the thread I checked the date to see if it was April 1st, it wasn’t so it must be 25th December!

Great news, clearly not got heart or attitude to be a professional footballer at any level.

UTFM
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 21, 2018, 1:11pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from mariner chopper

1. Chesterfield away - 55 mins (taken off for Summers)
2. Stevenage away - 45 mins (taken off for Tombola)
3. Derby home - 64 mins (taken off for Mills)
4. Wycombe home - 45 mins (taken off for DJ)
5. Check-a-trade - Doncaster home - 90 mins
6. Yeovil home - 8 mins (came on for Dembele)
7. Check-a-trade - Scunny away - 90 mins
8. Cheltenham away - 7 mins (came on for Woolford)
9. Check-a-trade - Sunderland U21s home - 90 mins
10. Crawley away - 45 mins (came on for Wilks)
11. Cambridge away - 19 mins (came on for Dixon)
12. Port Vale home - 13 mins (came on for Dembele)

Someone needs to get out more 😉
Posted by: toontown, June 21, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 25
So only completed 90 mins in checkatwat thing. Really awful player but at least he has enough pride to try and get a contract at the club he will actually play games for. I would be very surprised if he can cut it at conference level. Expect him to drop 2 divisions at least. Gutless player that made Berett look like Ronaldo for impact
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 21, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 26
He was pretty rubbish but he has my respect for leaving without costing us a wage. Not many like that these days so I wish him the best of luck.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 21, 2018, 1:54pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from pontoonlew
He was pretty rubbish but he has my respect for leaving without costing us a wage. Not many like that these days so I wish him the best of luck.

if i was a cynic i'd guess a) kelly knew he hadn't got a chance in hell of getting anywhere near the first team b) jolley had confirmed this,so c) his agent has found him another club and  d) he's negotiated a pay off that suits both parties finally e) he'll be turning up at a new club with a new contract and a nice little pay off within the next few weeks
Posted by: Meza, June 21, 2018, 1:59pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from forza ivano

if i was a cynic i'd guess a) kelly knew he hadn't got a chance in hell of getting anywhere near the first team b) jolley had confirmed this,so c) his agent has found him another club and  d) he's negotiated a pay off that suits both parties finally e) he'll be turning up at a new club with a new contract and a nice little pay off within the next few weeks

Unless hes that fed up and just wants out and stuff any payout.  Personally i think he has just had his contract torn up and no payments made.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 21, 2018, 2:14pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Meza

Unless hes that fed up and just wants out and stuff any payout.  Personally i think he has just had his contract torn up and no payments made.

I doubt that he just walk away from his contract with no settlement.

Posted by: Meza, June 21, 2018, 2:18pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

I doubt that he just walk away from his contract with no settlement.

But we are well within our rights not too...after all hes under contract Les and its SK that wants it terminating which tells me there is no decision to be made.  Sometimes you cant have your cake and eat it lol.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 21, 2018, 2:22pm; Reply: 31
3 months pay and a reference is the norm,

No idea what the club could say on the reference though. :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 21, 2018, 2:24pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimsby pete

Good at doing the half-time oranges?
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 21, 2018, 2:27pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin

Good at doing the half-time oranges?

Good timekeeper ?
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 21, 2018, 2:29pm; Reply: 34
In no way disappointed to see Kelly leave however I see the overall disappointment of his time here more a reflection of how the club approached last summer than on the player himself.

Under Slade our recruitment process seemed to consist of players that Slade had worked with before and were available, players that Wilkinson had worked with at Norwich Under 23's and were available, panic signings that no-one else wanted.

From the pre-season opener last summer you could tell something wasn't quite right with Kelly.  He didn't look like he wanted to be here and his performances continued in that manner in the early stages of the season.  Now that may be the player and his own attitude but he wasn't the only player to not be in the right frame of mind under Slade last year.  I don't think we underestimate the terrible way he was running the club.

Almost ironic that Kelly's last two performances were arguably his best for us.  Cambridge away I thought he came on and looked up for it, won a penalty following a nice one-two and could probably have felt disappointed he hadn't played himself in for the next against Carlisle.    Jolley's first game against Port Vale he came off the bench and actually added some much needed energy when we were flagging a bit.  He never even made the bench again I don't think.
Posted by: monkeyboy, June 21, 2018, 2:46pm; Reply: 35
The article was like his gtfc career - short with very little content.

Wish the guy well all the same
Posted by: davmariner, June 21, 2018, 3:03pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from grimsby pete

Competent at putting cones down for training?
Posted by: Ipswin, June 21, 2018, 3:04pm; Reply: 37
Surely as he was still under contract Man City should be paying us a transfer fee.

Him just getting out of his contract in order to go to the Etihad can't be allowable
Posted by: davmariner, June 21, 2018, 3:04pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from davmariner

Competent at putting cones down for training?

Oh no sorry that was Wilko’s strong point.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 21, 2018, 3:09pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Maringer
The odd thing about him was that he looked reasonably nippy, had a decent touch and could run with the ball, but there was absolutely no end product whatsoever. I remember in one of his early appearances at BP this season, he went on a good run down the left, beat his defender but then somehow let the ball run out of play instead of getting in a cross!

That seems to fit plenty of the recent era wingers we have had ... Serge, Tombola, Marshall, Dembele .....

long gone are the days of Brolley, Childs, Gilbert etc who rarely seemed to waste a cross.
Posted by: Maringer, June 21, 2018, 3:38pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from moosey_club

That seems to fit plenty of the recent era wingers we have had ... Serge, Tombola, Marshall, Dembele .....

Never seen anybody accuse Makofo of having a decent touch before now!  ;)
Posted by: hheh2, June 21, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 41
Future evostik premier player
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 21, 2018, 4:40pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from grimsby pete

Decent stand in as an Ed Sheeran impersonator to boost squad morale during half time.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, June 21, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 43
I think it was pretty clear Kelly wasnt going to feature this coming season. I thought he was likely to go out on loan so you have to give him credit for agreeing have his contract terminated. There are a lot out there who would have stuck around picking up a wage packet regardless.

He perhaps has a deal lined up somewhere. I hope so. I think some of the comments on this thread have been a bit unnecessary. For sure he didnt tear it up in a Town shirt but I am sure he was an honest pro. His appearances were limited (so many posters will say that vindicates their view that he was shite) but I didnt see enough of him to form a set opinion. Regardless I wish him well.
Posted by: TAGG, June 21, 2018, 6:48pm; Reply: 44
Good luck to the bloke wherever he ends up 👍🏻
Posted by: moosey_club, June 21, 2018, 7:20pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Maringer

Never seen anybody accuse Makofo of having a decent touch before now!  ;)

Really ? I remember it well, it was in the 2nd half at Kiddy 2011/12 ...took a high ball on his chest spun and twisted past two men
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 21, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from moosey_club

Really ? I remember it well, it was in the 2nd half at Kiddy 2011/12 ...took a high ball on his chest spun and twisted past two men

Yeh, the only problem with that was that the 2 men were ours!!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 21, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Meza

Why on earth would he agree to that? Would you?

Unless he has a club willing to take him on and pay him the same or more money, or a longer deal which I doubt. And in which case he would have gone on a free transfer instead of cancelling his contract.
Posted by: toontown, June 21, 2018, 11:24pm; Reply: 48
Sorry diehardmariner I thought his last performance against vale personified how truly awful he was - and I think that explains why he nebver even made the bench again. I recall him getting the ball, in space, and simply running off the pitch with it rather than try and take his man on. I would hav said it was a freak occurence except I recall someone else saying he had had done the exact same thing more than once earlier in the season. Bizarre. Really dreadful player. If that was his best performance then God help him!
Posted by: Meza, June 22, 2018, 12:10am; Reply: 49
Quoted from 75

Why on earth would he agree to that? Would you?

Unless he has a club willing to take him on and pay him the same or more money, or a longer deal which I doubt. And in which case he would have gone on a free transfer instead of cancelling his contract.

Well im not in the know and just based on assumptions.  I mean who wants to terminate the contract? Town or SK.

9 /10 its usually the player.  So if a player wants his cake and eat it should the club pay for his cxke....cos i know i bloody wouldnt. Lol.  If he doesnt agree then he stays as a town player surely.  If he wants out for whatever his reason is fine....we'll rip up the contract and release his registration.

Posted by: Father Christmas, June 22, 2018, 8:20am; Reply: 50
Oh Meza
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 22, 2018, 1:20pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Meza

Well im not in the know and just based on assumptions.  I mean who wants to terminate the contract? Town or SK.

9 /10 its usually the player.  So if a player wants his cake and eat it should the club pay for his cxke....cos i know i bloody wouldnt. Lol.  If he doesnt agree then he stays as a town player surely.  If he wants out for whatever his reason is fine....we'll rip up the contract and release his registration.

I haven't had chance to speak to my contact yet but my assumption would be that the club would have been pushing to terminate his contract, there would have been no point in keeping an unhappy player who was unlikely to feature in any games.

I would also assume that he has been compensated in some way.

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 12:37pm