Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 21, 2018, 7:21am
So far, it’s all very quiet on signings.  Should we be worried by the current state of the squad?

This is not an attempt to criticise Jolley but a niggling worry and wondering what others think?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 21, 2018, 7:24am; Reply: 1
No.
Posted by: Maringer, June 21, 2018, 7:38am; Reply: 2
It's mid-June.
Posted by: buckstown, June 21, 2018, 7:50am; Reply: 3
Actually, the world cup is an ok fill in, but the real highlight of the summer is the GTFC rumour mill and there ae none at the moment.
Could someone help me out by starting one?
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, June 21, 2018, 8:15am; Reply: 4
On the basis Jolley is picking off signings I think it's more about you being bored than it is Jolleys transfer market incompetence
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 21, 2018, 8:36am; Reply: 5
I think there was an expectation that Jolley would make wholesale changes, with that comes a raft of signings.  But Jolley himself as said it will be evolution not revolution.

Looking at the squad we've already got I don't think we'll be making that many more signings.

Back up 'keeper
Another centre back/utility defender
Winger - if Dembele goes
Striker
Posted by: Townee82, June 21, 2018, 8:38am; Reply: 6
I believe there is a date when all contracts run to , after that date is usually when it really takes off ?
Posted by: Davec, June 21, 2018, 8:42am; Reply: 7
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think there was an expectation that Jolley would make wholesale changes, with that comes a raft of signings.  But Jolley himself as said it will be evolution not revolution.

Looking at the squad we've already got I don't think we'll be making that many more signings.

Back up 'keeper
Another centre back/utility defender
Winger - if Dembele goes
Striker

That would leave us very very short out wide and up front
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 21, 2018, 8:44am; Reply: 8
30th June is usually the date contracts expire.

It's a fine line because you don't want to be waiting until the last minute and ending up with crap like we did last summer, but also if you go in too early you may miss out on players that went under the radar a little and everyone missed.

I trust Jolley has his preferred targets lined up and he strikes me as the type to have numerous contingency plans in place should they not come to fruition.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 21, 2018, 8:47am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Davec

That would leave us very very short out wide and up front

Wingers (or players who can play on the wing) - Hooper, Woolford, Kelly, Wright, Clifton.  That's 5, not including Dembele or if Jolley brings one in.

Strikers (or players who can play up front) - Cardwell, Robles, Hooper, Rose, A.N Other.  That's 5.  Apart from when Hurst went a bit crazy, I don't remember too many campaigns where we've had more than 5 at any one point.  Jolley favoured a 1 up front towards the end of the season and I think he opted for that when in Sweden too.  
Posted by: Maringer, June 21, 2018, 8:51am; Reply: 10
I think Robles can play out wide as well (and I think he might well do so).

I personally think we may well see a 4-3-3 at times - Hooper certainly did better on the left and playing him as the left of a front 3 could work.

Just need to make sure we have the midfielders to cover in a 4-3-3. It sounds as though Whitehouse certainly has the legs and (if he stays), so does Summerfield. Would make it difficult to choose between Rose and Clifton then, however.
Posted by: 11MARINER11, June 21, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 11
Quite a few players willing to sign for gtfc . But not quite top of his list ive been informed by a friend connected to the club . Hes still working on his first choice signings .
Posted by: Kris2, June 21, 2018, 11:14am; Reply: 12
It's still June before pre season begins. MJ said it himself that ideally you want everyone to sign before pre season but it's not always the case. Some will sign in July, some players join on trial during pre season and some of those will probably get signed. Then some join on deadline day before the window closes or sign in August after the season has begun. Nobody signs their entire team in June.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 21, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 13
Based on the previous few seasons where we have signed very little at all early doors and ended up with triallists coming in the week before the season starts and getting contracts based on a good 45 minutes against Trinity or Brigg or trialiists taking 4/5 games to be assessed before we then give them a 2 yr deal ....i do think Jolley has started off ok.

Given when he came into the club he had his hands pretty much tied but still brought in Foxy & Sheffers shows he can deal and gives me some hope we will be better prepared come start of pre season than we have been in recent seasons.
Posted by: Jimbob, June 21, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 14
still need creative midfield player.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 21, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 15
I've been the first to criticise the transfer policy of the club. Allowing player of the years contracts to simply expire, waiting until late and shopping in the bargain bin before the inevitable panic loan signings and ageing mercenaries looking for their last deals. The board have been guilty of all of these, but not this time. Michael has begun assembling his squad before a lot of FL contracts have expired. It's only mid June and he and the board have made significant progress. That's all I ask, give us a fighting chance. I appreciate if you're going to get the good players signing early on, we may have had to pay good money. Money well spent IMO, if we have a smaller squad then fine, this is the way to conduct our business. Less chance of buying problems.
Posted by: acko338, June 21, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 16
Jolley is probably on a foreign jolly seeking out our international signings with a love of bleak northern winter weather conditions so probably in Sweden or AN Other Scandinavian country.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 21, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 17

Also it all seems to have gone quiet on Dembele since the Bradford bid was turned down........who knows he could still be a Town player next season.
Posted by: Jimbob, June 21, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 18
hope not.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 21, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Jimbob
hope not.

Me too, I want him gone the ungrateful little snake. Billy big balderdash when he's done nowt yet. All changed when he started colouring his hair like a big time charlie.
Posted by: Pontooner, June 21, 2018, 9:34pm; Reply: 20
Think we need a Striker (one that scores goals). Can't afford to have another season without one.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 21, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Pontooner
Think we need a Striker (one that scores goals). Can't afford to have another season without one.

We need two like that, at least!
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 21, 2018, 10:06pm; Reply: 22
If we could get this Long bloke and potentially a decent winger who’s going to beat men and whip in decent crosses and create chances that would make us far better than last season immediately.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 21, 2018, 10:51pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mariner_09
If we could get this Long bloke and potentially a decent winger who’s going to beat men and whip in decent crosses and create chances that would make us far better than last season immediately.

Wicked Wanda of Riby Square
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 22, 2018, 7:09am; Reply: 24
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Wicked Wanda of Riby Square

Leave my sister out of this, she retired years ago, apparently bust too many whips on your ar$e!!!
Posted by: golfer, June 22, 2018, 8:19am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Jimbob
hope not.

Why on earth is there all this negativity against Dembele. For 3/4 of the season he was God's gift-he suffered injury so his form went down.As for wanting to move to a higher club who can blame him. Admittedly he has a lot to learn but he is only young and if Jolly looks after him I am sure he will become a better player. In my opinion too much expectation was heaped on his shoulders under Slade . What were we like at his age.?
Posted by: Cloudy, June 22, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 26
Jordan Cook from Luton is mentioned in the Gy Telegraph boggy thing as a target. Previously had a couple of seasons at Walsall in League one- midfielder
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 22, 2018, 1:55pm; Reply: 27
Scott Wagstaff also mentioned!
Posted by: lukeo, June 22, 2018, 5:42pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from LondonMariner43
So far, it’s all very quiet on signings.  Should we be worried by the current state of the squad?

This is not an attempt to criticise Jolley but a niggling worry and wondering what others think?

If it had been a couple of weeks fair enough but it hasn't.. I have been constantly checking the OS I can't lie. But still early days yet.
Posted by: Sigone, June 22, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 29
Latest tweet says business not done for the day
Posted by: Mendonca1995, June 22, 2018, 6:43pm; Reply: 30
Dembele gone to Peterborough for undisclosed fee does this mean we can now for once spend some money on a goalscorer like we did Hearn Bogle etc should have enough money in the kitty from this sale one would think ?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 22, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Good to see my innocent question attract so many red crosses!!

Anyway, it worked - today hasn’t been quiet at all.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:19pm