Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 17, 2018, 8:06am
After years of absolute dross are we due a bit of success , ffs it’s been 20 years (wallbash)(wallbash2)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2018, 8:26am; Reply: 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSTivVclQQ0
Posted by: GrimRob, June 17, 2018, 8:27am; Reply: 2
Acceptable = midtable
Success = top 7
Posted by: Grumps, June 17, 2018, 9:37am; Reply: 3
Gone for mid-table so my expectations can be surpassed when we finish higher.
Posted by: lukeo, June 17, 2018, 9:40am; Reply: 4
Quoted from GrimRob
Acceptable = midtable
Success = top 7

This.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 17, 2018, 11:12am; Reply: 5
I will be happy with mid table but have a hunch MJ will only settle for play offs.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 17, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 6
50 votes in and the general feeling appears very positive  :)
Posted by: rancido, June 17, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 7
I think at this footballing level the club and the fans should aim for and expect a play off position as an absolute minimum. With three automatic promotion spots and 4 play-off positions then finishing in the top 7 is not an unrealistic expectation.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2018, 11:34am; Reply: 8

I slipped up and quickly voted for the top choice without reading the other options......can I change my vote to the the bottom choice please ?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 17, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 9
It's only league 2. We are Grimsby Town. Play offs an absolute minimum. It's time we pushed this club forward as we've been stagnating for fifteen years or since John Fenty arrived - take your pick.
Posted by: sam gy, June 17, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 10
I honestly think we are starting again this season. It’s a season of consolidation, with MJ building a base for us to really kick in from the season after. We were terrible last season and this is his first proper season in management In this country.

So I’m going to say mid table. Anything more would be a great achievement.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 17, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 11
Surprised automatic promotion ( i.e. finishing 2nd or 3rd) is not an option?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 17, 2018, 1:05pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from sam gy
I honestly think we are starting again this season. It’s a season of consolidation, with MJ building a base for us to really kick in from the season after. We were terrible last season and this is his first proper season in management Jon this country.

So I’m going to say mid table. Anything more would be a great achievement.

I know where you are coming from, but seeing our form in the last five games, and seeing also the first few signings, I think there are definitely grounds for optimism.

Maybe we are all getting carried away, but why not? After years of desolation and pessimism I think we are entitled to some positivity for a change :).
Posted by: mariner91, June 17, 2018, 1:33pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from RonMariner

I know where you are coming from, but seeing our form in the last five games, and seeing also the first few signings, I think there are definitely grounds for optimism.

Maybe we are all getting carried away, but why not? After years of desolation and pessimism I think we are entitled to some positivity for a change :).

Are they as good as people are making out? A young defender from a recently relegated side with a decent amount of FL experience but probably not the best centre back in the division. A centre back from the Scottish Championship who was very well thought of but not so highly rated at Crewe. A striker/winger who at almost 22 has only one appearance in the FL and was last playing in the Spanish third division without pulling up any trees. And Whitehouse is a good player but certainly no world beater.

We're still some significant quality away from being even considered for the play offs in my opinion. At the very least we need at least one quality striker (realistically we need two though), I'd like to see at least another quick, skillful wide player come in, a central midfielder if Summerfield doesn't sign and a dominating centre back.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 17, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 14
My optimism levels have risen slowly under MJ's leadership. And I genuinly believe with a few more good additions we can push for those top places.

I know we keep going on about it but if he can yield performances and results we saw in the last few weeks of the season from a squad that went 20 games without a win and finished second in the form table, I have every confidence that with his own squad, and a full pre-season to work with them then we will surprise a few this year and really go for it.

It's the hope that kills you though right?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 17, 2018, 2:55pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mariner91

Are they as good as people are making out? A young defender from a recently relegated side with a decent amount of FL experience but probably not the best centre back in the division. A centre back from the Scottish Championship who was very well thought of but not so highly rated at Crewe. A striker/winger who at almost 22 has only one appearance in the FL and was last playing in the Spanish third division without pulling up any trees. And Whitehouse is a good player but certainly no world beater.

We're still some significant quality away from being even considered for the play offs in my opinion. At the very least we need at least one quality striker (realistically we need two though), I'd like to see at least another quick, skillful wide player come in, a central midfielder if Summerfield doesn't sign and a dominating centre back.

All valid points, but you don't have to be a world beater to be part of team that can challenge in L2. I doubt Accrington had many world beaters in their side last year. Davis and Whitehouse would seem to be decent signings at this level. I'd back the new signings ahead of the likes of Kelly, Clarke, Dixon and Berret that we have signed in recent years.

A well organised team with plenty of energy and pace will go a long way in L2.  We do need some more signings, especially, as you point out, goal scorers, but things are moving in the right direction and I for one think the glass is half full rather than half empty at the moment.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 17, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 16
Mid table, get the ball down and score some goals I guess is what I expect considering the last couple of seasons at least, real success would be the play offs though.
Posted by: denni266, June 17, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 17
play off`s will do nicely thank you
Posted by: TonySmith, June 18, 2018, 12:50am; Reply: 18
The first option in the poll should be "promotion" rather than "champions." You'd have to be a Man. Utd. fan not to see finishing second or third or winning a final at Wembley as a successful season!
Posted by: newarkmariner, June 18, 2018, 6:18am; Reply: 19
I'm looking forward to the new season in my purple shirt and rightly so, we have an exciting young manager who made a silk purse out off a pigs ear last season, but I'm not getting carried away.
For me top half will be a good season but with a few more decent signings and a little luck you never know,UTM
Posted by: RonMariner, June 18, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 20
If we can produce the same type of football we saw in the Notts County game then we will be very competitive and at the right end of the table.
Posted by: rancido, June 19, 2018, 6:33am; Reply: 21
Quoted from mariner91

It's the sum of the parts together that lead to success and not just individuals.
Posted by: Grim74, June 19, 2018, 8:49am; Reply: 22
Quoted from 75
It's only league 2. We are Grimsby Town. Play offs an absolute minimum. It's time we pushed this club forward as we've been stagnating for fifteen years or since John Fenty arrived - take your pick.

We are only Grimsby to be honest (that was hard to type) we have no more right then say Oldham or Tranmere, if we get to the play offs we get there on merit not because we are Grimsby.
Not being funny cos I would of said a similar thing a few years ago but I think now having that mindset and a lot of us do,only puts the pressure on. It's good to see the poll is showing people are being realistic this year, it might just be a turning point.
Posted by: mariner91, June 19, 2018, 8:56am; Reply: 23
Quoted from rancido

It's the sum of the parts together that lead to success and not just individuals.

Absolutely I agree. However, even Accrington with their small budget had two players with real quality: Billy Kee and Sean McConville. That can make the difference in tight games, a bit of magic from somewhere. I don't think we've got any real quality in the squad as it stands but I certainly don't think we'll do badly under Jolley.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 7:13am