Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 14, 2018, 4:24pm

Just thought I would start a thread for discussion of all the World Cup games live on TV to keep them all on one thread.

I'm sure the England games will get a thread of their own.

Russia take an early lead against Saudi Arabia in a lively opening game.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 4:29pm; Reply: 1
How come Russia aren't very good? Is it because they've fallen foul of importing a lot of foreign players?

Funny to hear one of the Saudi players is called Al Faraj. Nigel's little brother.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 14, 2018, 4:38pm; Reply: 2

I think they said all the Russian players play in Russia which isn't the strongest league in the world.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 14, 2018, 4:43pm; Reply: 3
Are there any World Cup games not live on TV?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

I think they said all the Russian players play in Russia which isn't the strongest league in the world.

Some of their clubs do well in UEFA comps though. But then if they're full of foreign mercenaries.

Good team goal that.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 5
Great finish
Posted by: GrimRob, June 14, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 6
Saudis are running around like headless chickens
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 14, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from KingstonMariner
How come Russia aren't very good? Is it because they've fallen foul of importing a lot of foreign players?

Funny to hear one of the Saudi players is called Al Faraj. Nigel's little brother.

Oddly enough, they have a rule which limits the number of foreign players allowed in a team. They're just not very good without a state sponsored doping programme.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 14, 2018, 4:54pm; Reply: 8
Russia will have the lowest ranking at the tournament due to their not playing any competitive games for a couple of years won't they? Obviously, home nations don't have to play any qualifying matches.

The fact that Saudi are ranked above them is obviously not correct in reality, as Saudi look like they would struggle against a Championship side, judging by this game.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 5:11pm; Reply: 9
Atmosphere's very flat.
Posted by: buckstown, June 14, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 10
Saudi's remind me of the Village people at BP last season. Very attractive neat passing out of defence, but stuffed when they get to the half way line
Posted by: Abdul19, June 14, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 11
The Saudi centre backs make Justin Whittle look like Beckenbauer
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 14, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 12
I have absolutely no interest in Russia. They bought the vote and their fans are an absolute disgrace.
I would love to see them fail to get out of the group stage. But luckily enough for them they have a fairly easy group.  
Posted by: LH, June 14, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 13
It’s almost as if the group was fixed. 🤔
Posted by: Abdul19, June 14, 2018, 6:12pm; Reply: 14
Be interesting to see how they do against players like Cavani, Suarez, Salah and, er, that big bloke from West Brom.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 8:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Civvy at last
I have absolutely no interest in Russia. They bought the vote and their fans are an absolute disgrace.
I would love to see them fail to get out of the group stage. But luckily enough for them they have a fairly easy group.  

And England failed to buy the vote. They were just better at it than us. I wouldn't tar all Russians with the same brush, just like I wouldn't Town fans are a disgrace because a few of them smashed bottles in Sheffield the other year.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 14, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 16
Saudi's look poor. I don't remember a shot on target.

Still, some cracking goals. Good start to the tournament.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, June 14, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 17
The lad Cheryshev who actually came on as sub scored 2 beauts! 👌🏼 What an absolutely cracking left foot
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 8:39am; Reply: 18

Really looking forward to the Portugal v Spain match tonight with the added spice of Spain sacking their manager.
Never thought I would say it but I actually want Ronaldo to score tonight.
Posted by: gtfckyle, June 15, 2018, 10:06am; Reply: 19
Egypt v Uruguay should be a corker too.. I think the Egyptians will be a lot more organised at the back than most think, tight game.  
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 15, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 20

Really looking forward to the Portugal v Spain match tonight with the added spice of Spain sacking their manager.
Never thought I would say it but I actually want Ronaldo to score tonight.

Go and rinse your mouth out with soap and water PP! You should never want that girl private to score (unless you have got a bet on it of course 😎)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 11:05am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Posh Harry

Go and rinse your mouth out with soap and water PP! You should never want that girl private to score (unless you have got a bet on it of course 😎)

Mouth rinsed out....I'd like Spain to lose tonight 😁
Posted by: LH, June 15, 2018, 1:34pm; Reply: 22

Just curious - why?
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 15, 2018, 2:10pm; Reply: 23

Good man, that looks much better 👍
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 3:28pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from LH

Just curious - why?

Just think the Spanish were instrumental in bringing cheating into the game.....just my opinion.

Got home from work to see Uruguay scored in the 90th minute to beat Egypt......the Egyptians must be gutted.

Posted by: forza ivano, June 15, 2018, 4:22pm; Reply: 25
THEY DIDN'T DESERVE THAT. EGYPTIANS WERE THE BETTER SIDE AND LOOKED PRETTY GOOD ,EVEN WITHOUT SALAH.bloody caps lock! Godin was Uruguay's man of the match which says a lot. Suarez loooked like a 2017-18 GTFC centre forward!
Posted by: Abdul19, June 15, 2018, 4:25pm; Reply: 26
I can't remember Uruguay's keeper making a save though.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2018, 4:43pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from forza ivano
THEY DIDN'T DESERVE THAT. EGYPTIANS WERE THE BETTER SIDE AND LOOKED PRETTY GOOD ,EVEN WITHOUT SALAH.bloody caps lock! Godin was Uruguay's man of the match which says a lot. Suarez loooked like a 2017-18 GTFC centre forward!

Really? Egypt did absolutely nothing. Uruguay carved out a good few chances, and i thought Cavani was excellent. Rubbish game though.
Posted by: LH, June 15, 2018, 5:32pm; Reply: 28

Just think the Spanish were instrumental in bringing cheating into the game.....just my opinion.

Got home from work to see Uruguay scored in the 90th minute to beat Egypt......the Egyptians must be gutted.

So I take it you’ll be backing Tunisia on Monday night after Raheem Sterling’s dive the other week?
Posted by: Abdul19, June 15, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 29
I suspect there was plenty of cheating in football before it even arrived in Spain.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2018, 5:57pm; Reply: 30
This Morocco Iran game is absolutely dire. One of the Iran players just got clipped and nearly rolled all the way back to Iran.

As i type that, Morocco score an own goal in the 94th minute. Iran have a World Cup win.  ::)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2018, 5:59pm; Reply: 31
Haven't been paying much attention to the game. Looked like Iran didn't want to risk enough to win it, then they fluke it in the end.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings
This Morocco Iran game is absolutely dire. One of the Iran players just got clipped and nearly rolled all the way back to Iran.

As i type that, Morocco score an own goal in the 94th minute. Iran have a World Cup win.  ::)

That rolling around by the Iran player was ridiculous....you'd never see an England player do it  :)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2018, 6:05pm; Reply: 33
Tomorrow is Argentina v Iceland.

All Scrobs aren't we!
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 34
Tomorrow is Argentina v Iceland.

All Scrobs aren't we!

Must admit I had to Google Scrob....

http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/grimsby-what-is-a-scrob
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 15, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 35
Spain v Portugal, penalty for Portugal, but doesn't VAR have to check and confirm?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2018, 7:06pm; Reply: 36
What's the point of VAR? Ronaldo bought that pen and it should have been overturned and Ronaldo booked.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 15, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Really? Egypt did absolutely nothing. Uruguay carved out a good few chances, and i thought Cavani was excellent. Rubbish game though.

See where you're coming from, but thought egypt had the more impressive individuals and made Uruguay look Shiite.they were very disciplined n played some nice stuff
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 38

Cracking game (1-1)....Spain piling on the pressure but Portugal look really dangerous on the break.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 15, 2018, 7:34pm; Reply: 39
Good goal by the Brazilian for Spain!!
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 15, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 40
Henderson could be starting Man U's first game of the season.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 41

3-2 Spain...game over for me.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 42
What a game. It's like the World Cup proper now after the drab fare today.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 15, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 43

3-2 Spain...game over for me.

Shows what I know...Ronaldo hat-trick  3-3
Posted by: Ipswin, June 15, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 44
Hate to admit it as Ronaldo is the sportsman in addition to Lewis Hamilton that I absolutely detest the most but he's a bit good isn't he?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 45
What the hell was De Gea doing there? I'm sat there thinking, that gap to his left looks way too big to me, almost like he's inviting Ronanldo to put it there, and he duly obliged. Love him or hate him, what a player he is.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 15, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 46
That look on his face as he was lining up the free kick, it was never not going in the top corner.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2018, 10:26pm; Reply: 47
Great game.
Have to say that I can't se England getting anywhere near that level of football.  :(
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 48
Great game. Sheer joy watching some of those moves by Spain.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 15, 2018, 10:59pm; Reply: 49
Superb game, perfect Friday evening viewing. If tomorrow's 4 games can be a fraction as good I'll be happy!
Posted by: Rick12, June 16, 2018, 6:50am; Reply: 50
Great game last night.Feel sorry for the Spanish. Love the way Isco plays eg such a technical player. As for Ronaldo=magic
Posted by: RonMariner, June 16, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 51
The speed at which the Spanish control the ball and release to a team mate is incredible. Several times a player who appeared to have opponents up really close was able to move the ball on instantly. The Portuguese just couldn't get possession no matter how closely they marked them. A joy to watch.

Reminded me of Buckley era Town at their best! ;)
Posted by: Rick12, June 16, 2018, 12:32pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from RonMariner
The speed at which the Spanish control the ball and release to a team mate is incredible. Several times a player who appeared to have opponents up really close was able to move the ball on instantly. The Portuguese just couldn't get possession no matter how closely they marked them. A joy to watch.

Reminded me of Buckley era Town at their best! ;)
I fancy Brazil though to win it.With Neymar in your squad you have like 3 players in one. Neymar is my favourite player of the world cup but probably not as good as Messi and Ronaldo in that order  ;)
Posted by: oldun, June 16, 2018, 12:56pm; Reply: 53
After watching that game England won't get a sniff. Spain were on a different planet to our lads.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 2:27pm; Reply: 54

Aquero scores a well taken goal to give the Argies the lead against Iceland.

Iceland level 5 minutes later (1-1), the Argies look good up front but shocking at the back so far.

Posted by: Abdul19, June 16, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 55
The attacking options Argentina have are quite scary  (Higuain and Dybala on the bench, Icardi not even in the squad) but their defence features Man Utd's 5th choice centre back!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 16, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 56
Cheating gets the Argies.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 16, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 57
intercourse off. No way was that a pen. Whinging bar stewards.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 2:49pm; Reply: 58

Messi has done very little first half but we all know he can change a game in a split second.

Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 16, 2018, 2:58pm; Reply: 59
G'wan Iceland. Had a soft spot for them since the Euro's and they qualified for this pretty easily. Fancy them getting something here.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 3:23pm; Reply: 60

Messi has a penalty saved   ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, June 16, 2018, 3:26pm; Reply: 61
For such a great player, Messi takes some shite penalties.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, June 16, 2018, 3:29pm; Reply: 62
Gotta love the Sky live text

ARGENTINA 1-1 ICELAND

64: PENALTY SAVED! Wow, Messi's spot kick is turned away by Halldorsson as the Iceland No 1 guesses right and dives to his right to palm the excrement away, In truth, that was a poor penalty being far too close to the shot stopper to save.

Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 16, 2018, 3:31pm; Reply: 63
"We once saw the hand of God, now we've seen the hand of cod."
Posted by: LH, June 16, 2018, 3:35pm; Reply: 64
I do wonder how arsed Messi is about playing for Argentina seeing as though he’s lived in Spain for 20 years ish of his 30 year life including his teenage years. Imagine how good the 2008-2012 Spain would have been if he’d chosen them instead.
Posted by: buckstown, June 16, 2018, 3:46pm; Reply: 65
Argentina's coach looks slightly demented. The love child of a prowling tiger and a hired assassin who could kill at the slightest wrong move.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 16, 2018, 3:48pm; Reply: 66
Argentinians moaning about gamesmanship is a bit like the Cowleys moaning about gamesmanship
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 67

FT  Argentina 1-1 Iceland

I bet Ronaldo has got a little smile on his face at the moment.
Posted by: Rick12, June 16, 2018, 4:05pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from LH
I do wonder how arsed Messi is about playing for Argentina seeing as though he’s lived in Spain for 20 years ish of his 30 year life including his teenage years. Imagine how good the 2008-2012 Spain would have been if he’d chosen them instead.

Spain tried to secure Messi when he was a youth playing for Barcelona. He opted for Argentina.

Read a debate a while back with ex and current  football players and the majority opted for Messi over Christiano Ronaldo. Overall consensus was whilst Christiano Ronaldo was a great athlete with special skills Messi had that bit more magic.A view I would agree with.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 69

Peru v Denmark

That's possibly the worst penalty I've ever seen by the Peru player.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 16, 2018, 5:54pm; Reply: 70

Peru v Denmark

That's possibly the worst penalty I've ever seen by the Peru player.

The worst? ;)

https://youtu.be/altzU3kU3Lo
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 16, 2018, 5:54pm; Reply: 71
Should never have been a penalty. The guy fell over the defender's trailing foot. The Peruvian had more control over that situation than the Dane.

Second penalty today that shouldn't have been.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 16, 2018, 5:54pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
"We once saw the hand of God, now we've seen the hand of cod."

;D ;D ;D

Who said that?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 5:59pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Abdul19

Not seen that one before.......yeah   ;D
Posted by: gtfc55, June 16, 2018, 6:11pm; Reply: 74
Should never have been a penalty. The guy fell over the defender's trailing foot. The Peruvian had more control over that situation than the Dane.

Second penalty today that shouldn't have been.

Disagree. You cannot scythe a ‘standing’ player down with your ‘trailing foot’ and thus deny them a clear chance.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 16, 2018, 7:06pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from gtfc55

Disagree. You cannot scythe a ‘standing’ player down with your ‘trailing foot’ and thus deny them a clear chance.

No way did he scythe him down. Totally inappropriate dramatic language to describe an unfortunate accident. His right foot got stuck behind him. Hardly touched the Peruvian either.

I suppose next you're gonna say he was 'entitled to go down'. It used to be called cheating. Nowadays 'you're entitled'.
Posted by: LH, June 16, 2018, 7:07pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Rick12

Spain tried to secure Messi when he was a youth playing for Barcelona. He opted for Argentina.

Read a debate a while back with ex and current  football players and the majority opted for Messi over Christiano Ronaldo. Overall consensus was whilst Christiano Ronaldo was a great athlete with special skills Messi had that bit more magic.A view I would agree with.

Both very different players but both absolutely brilliant. We’re spoiled being able to see two greats play at the same time as club rivals. If I was to say who’s better I would say Messi but Ronaldo is brilliant at things Messi isn’t and vice versa. I was aware of how he chose his national allegiance but do wonder if with age he’s come to regret the decision.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 16, 2018, 7:41pm; Reply: 77

No way did he scythe him down. Totally inappropriate dramatic language to describe an unfortunate accident. His right foot got stuck behind him. Hardly touched the Peruvian either.

I suppose next you're gonna say he was 'entitled to go down'. It used to be called cheating. Nowadays 'you're entitled'.

I absolutely hate it when commentators and so called 'expert' pundits say 'he WON a penalty'

Really pisses me off, just shows if it were needed that some cheating illegitimates, and there's a lot of them sadly, simply play for a penno and worse securing one is seen as a skill!

Posted by: TonySmith, June 16, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 78
I know it's going back a few years, but that penalty immediately reminded me of a much ridiculed penalty that Adam Proudlock once took for Town that ended up halfway up the stand. The only difference is that Proudlock's was closer! I don't recall the details, but I'm sure someone does.
Posted by: fishyfanny, June 16, 2018, 9:02pm; Reply: 79
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Roy Keane is a total knob?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from fishyfanny

I'm not a fan myself but he doesn't hold back does he.

What a poor game...no shots on target by both teams first half.

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 16, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 81

Had to laugh when the commentator pointed out that the newly built £235m stadium was built on a marsh and is on borrowed time as it's sinking into the ground.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, June 16, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from fishyfanny

He always has been. He was a half decent footballer who thought he was a hard man. He destroyed a footballers career because of his big man attitude.
He has been a crap manager at every club he has managed and is a rubbish commentator.

Posted by: mariner91, June 16, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from TonySmith
I know it's going back a few years, but that penalty immediately reminded me of a much ridiculed penalty that Adam Proudlock once took for Town that ended up halfway up the stand. The only difference is that Proudlock's was closer! I don't recall the details, but I'm sure someone does.

Aldershot away I think?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2018, 2:55pm; Reply: 84

FT   Costa Rica  0-1  Serbia

Really looking forward to the Germany v Mehico game  (16:00 BBC One)......come one you Mehico.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 17, 2018, 4:53pm; Reply: 85
Quality game this. Mexico have been excellent and shou’d be more than 1 ahead. Also shout out to the ref who has been top draw imo
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 86

FT  Germany  0-1  Mexico  

"Huge number of German fans go home disappointed"   :)
Posted by: LH, June 17, 2018, 5:53pm; Reply: 87
Potentially a brilliant result for England.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 17, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from LH
Potentially a brilliant result for England.

Theres no way Germany losing is in any way good for england. Germans are born winners
Posted by: GrimRob, June 17, 2018, 5:58pm; Reply: 89
Germany will struggle to win their group now. They need Mexico to drop points.
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 17, 2018, 6:03pm; Reply: 90
Germanys team is very slow, I find it crazy they left Sane out.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 17, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 91
Superb performance by Mexico. Agree about Sane
Posted by: LH, June 17, 2018, 6:13pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Hagrid

Theres no way Germany losing is in any way good for england. Germans are born winners

Not on today’s evidence!

With Germany now probably second favourites for the group that means England would be unlikely to meet them in the quarter finals should they progress that far as they would have done according the bookies odds. Obviously a long way to go to be thinking about that though hence “potentially”!
Posted by: Abdul19, June 17, 2018, 6:13pm; Reply: 93
FACT!

3 out of the last 4 holders have gone out in the group stage.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 17, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 94
Can't believe how wide open Germany were on the counter attack.

If Mexico could have strung a pass together in the final third it could have been 4-0.

I am sure Germany will improve on this showing though.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 17, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 95
Germany played badly, Mexico played well and to a game plan. Pressed in midfield and shoved the ball through early on the counter. A bit like Iceland without the muscle. Next 50 games they played each other Germany would win 49 but it was today that mattered.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 96

What a goal from Coutinho........Brazil 1-0 Switzerland
Posted by: Abdul19, June 17, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 97
Seferovic is the Scott Vernon of international football
Posted by: Abdul19, June 17, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 98
What a corner that was!

Ropey defending like
Posted by: jaygy, June 17, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 99
Clear push in the back there, anywhere else on the pitch and that’s a free kick. Nice to see the Swiss equalise though 👍🏻
Posted by: penrith mariner, June 17, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 100
Since when has a small push not been a foul. Poor commentators.  Great for the game to see the equaliser but should be disallowed
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 101

No team has really stood out so far in this World Cup barring Russia who were only playing Saudi Arabia.

I think our name is on the trophy.......the drink is starting to kick in.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 17, 2018, 8:24pm; Reply: 102
Spain looked good.
Posted by: penrith mariner, June 17, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 103
Mexico looked ok too
Posted by: Ipswin, June 17, 2018, 8:58pm; Reply: 104
Just nice to see Germany and Brazil not walking it (yet!) as all the so-called experts predicted.

Be great to see a lesser fancied team win it, don't like to see the same teams dominating all the time
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 18, 2018, 2:25pm; Reply: 105

VAR helps the ref out to award Sweden a penalty.......Sweden 1-0 South Korea
Posted by: GrimRob, June 18, 2018, 2:29pm; Reply: 106
Have we had more VAR penalties than Ref ones?
Posted by: gtfc55, June 18, 2018, 2:51pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from GrimRob
Have we had more VAR penalties than Ref ones?

The ref still awards the VAR penalties but given the threshold for referral (clear and obvious error) it will be a brave ref who declines to change his mind. Interesting to see if this happens.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 18, 2018, 2:55pm; Reply: 108

What's the best result for us in the Belgium v Panama game 16:00 ?

Probably a draw !
Posted by: Ipswin, June 18, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from gtfc55

The ref still awards the VAR penalties but given the threshold for referral (clear and obvious error) it will be a brave ref who declines to change his mind. Interesting to see if this happens.

I'd love to see that happen. Referees are in danger of becoming sidelined in the major decision making process and linos have already been told not to flag for offsides if its at all borderline thuis taking awauy their reason for being there.

Overall I don't like VAR except where a player commits a foul or assault off the ball that the ref doesn't see and he gets red carded later as he comes out of the shower. Goal line tecnology has sorted out the biggest problem, penalties IMO tend to level themselves out (refs often make sure of that)

Can't be much fun having the major decision making taken away from you

Far too many pennos (VAR and otherwise) in this WC already
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 18, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Ipswin

I'd love to see that happen. Referees are in danger of becoming sidelined in the major decision making process and linos have already been told not to flag for offsides if its at all borderline thuis taking awauy their reason for being there.

Overall I don't like VAR except where a player commits a foul or assault off the ball that the ref doesn't see and he gets red carded later as he comes out of the shower. Goal line tecnology has sorted out the biggest problem, penalties IMO tend to level themselves out (refs often make sure of that)

Can't be much fun having the major decision making taken away from you

Far too many pennos (VAR and otherwise) in this WC already

Goalline technology is cut and dried, it's either over the line or it's not. Penalties are down to a persons point of view. How often do you see an incident where a penalty is given and one person will say it was a penalty whilst another will say it's not.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 19, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 111
Exciting start to Group H. Colombia a goal and a man down to Japan inside 5 minutes!
Posted by: LH, June 19, 2018, 2:54pm; Reply: 112
Another potentially brilliant result for England. It’s all lining up nicely...
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 113
Though the red card was a bit harsh. I though the double jeopardy rule meant that you didn't give both a penalty and a red for the same incident?

Obviously it's only the clown that refereed our play off game against Bristol that is afraid of running a game by sending off a player early on.
Posted by: Grantley, June 19, 2018, 4:20pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from RonMariner
Though the red card was a bit harsh. I though the double jeopardy rule meant that you didn't give both a penalty and a red for the same incident?

Obviously it's only the clown that refereed our play off game against Bristol that is afraid of running a game by sending off a player early on.

Only applies when it’s a tackle I think and only when it’s a clear attempt to play the ball.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 19, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 115

Comedy of errors at the back by Poland gives Senegal a 2 goal lead.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 19, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 116

Comedy of errors at the back by Poland gives Senegal a 2 goal lead.

Wojciech Szczesny channeling his inner Anthony Williams
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 19, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 117

Looks like Russia are going to be the first team through to the knock-out stage....    latest....  Russia 3-0 Egypt
Posted by: Rick12, June 19, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 118
Fair play to the Russians.Some thought they would struggle to even get out of the group!

Really pleased they have introduced VAR at this world cup though.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 19, 2018, 9:21pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from Rick12

Really pleased they have introduced VAR at this world cup though.

Really?  At this rate they may as well just make every game a penalty shoot out, it's getting ridiculous, it's heading to a record number of penalties by the end of the group stages alone.

Penalties plus the number of goals from set pieces (corners, free kicks) means a goal in open play is getting rarer and rarer with every game

I'd rather a few of the penalties had been missed by the referees and the VAR team quite honestly (after all they missed two nailed on ones last night!)
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 120
Sad to see Salar a shadow of himself, obviously not recovered from his injury.

Ramos is a total thug. Liverpool may well have won that game if not for his antics.

And they say crime doesn't pay.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 19, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 121
The ruski's played very well I thought. Played as a team and not through 1 or 2 players.
Posted by: Rick12, June 20, 2018, 6:07am; Reply: 122
Quoted from Ipswin

Really?  At this rate they may as well just make every game a penalty shoot out, it's getting ridiculous, it's heading to a record number of penalties by the end of the group stages alone.

Penalties plus the number of goals from set pieces (corners, free kicks) means a goal in open play is getting rarer and rarer with every game

I'd rather a few of the penalties had been missed by the referees and the VAR team quite honestly (after all they missed two nailed on ones last night!)
I know but I think it improves the competition. Eg refs cant get it all right and this technology just gives a second eye.Hence in borderline decisions this could mean a team going through to the next stage of the competition. Eg had this technology been around in 1986 Maradonas hand of God goal may of not stood and they may not of gone to win a second world cup in 1986.
Posted by: Tommy, June 20, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from Rick12
I know but I think it improves the competition. Eg refs cant get it all right and this technology just gives a second eye.Hence in borderline decisions this could mean a team going through to the next stage of the competition. Eg had this technology been around in 1986 Maradonas hand of God goal may of not stood and they may not of gone to win a second world cup in 1986.

But the second eye doesn't always get it right either. I've not agreed with some of the decisions that have been made after VAR. So much of it is down to interpretation, not just black or white factual.

Players make mistakes. Referees make mistakes. Humans make mistakes. I say just let referees make some mistakes (VAR is making them anyway) and get rid of VAR. It's already turning into a farce because games are held up time and time again and it is undoubtedly effecting referee's decision-making during the game itself. And players are making the VAR/TV signal with their hands every time a decision is made that they don't agree with which is already pissing me off and is as bad as the "asking for a yellow card" gesture.
Posted by: TAGG, June 20, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 124
Just turned the volume off.
Would rather watch in silence than listen to that commentator.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 125

Ronaldo puts Portugal ahead after only 4 minutes but it's been pretty much all Morocco since.......cmon Morocco.
Posted by: Meza, June 20, 2018, 3:02pm; Reply: 126
Morrocco have been outstanding....shame they are going home on that performance they deserved something from the game.  Portugal winning ugly and not for the first time either.  Portugal cant always rely on CR.  
Posted by: Abdul19, June 20, 2018, 3:22pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from TAGG
Just turned the volume off.
Would rather watch in silence than listen to that commentator.

Yeah I can't stand Martin Keown either
Posted by: Rick12, June 20, 2018, 3:23pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from RonMariner

Ramos is a total thug. Liverpool may well have won that game if not for his antics.

I admired Ramos as a player and a person prior to the Salah injury.Some of his theatrics left a lot to be desired as well in that champions league final.

I can appreciate the pressures them Real Madrid players are under though eg representing the best team in history and maybe sometimes the need to win trophy's each season which is whats expected from Real Madrid can get to some of the players and boil over into unsavoury tactics ?

Hope he can just learn and improve from this as he has fantasic passion for the game which has to be given merit.

Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from RonMariner

Wtf are you talking about 😂😂😂 wasnt even a foul jesus christ
Posted by: Ipswin, June 20, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from RonMariner

Liverpool may well have won that game if not for his antics.

pmsl

Posted by: LH, June 20, 2018, 7:54pm; Reply: 131
There are some really frustrating teams in this tournament - Spain are struggling to break down Iran tonight. It just shows how important getting the win was for England on Monday.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2018, 8:01pm; Reply: 132

England suffer injury blow.... 8)

The Football Association has revealed that England manager Gareth Southgate has suffered a dislocated right shoulder.

The 47-year-old was injured while running near the team's World Cup base in the Russian town of Repino during a scheduled day off from training.
Posted by: Meza, June 20, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 133
Exactly why 3pts was a must.  Playing against the lesser teams i worry about the better teams i know we'll raise our game.  
Posted by: BraStrap, June 20, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 134
Get used to the negative play. It's going to happen every game there's a big gap between the rankings.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 20, 2018, 9:22pm; Reply: 135
Those frigging vuvuzelas want sticking up their arses. (Sideways). ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, June 20, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Les Brechin
Those frigging vuvuzelas want sticking up their arses. (Sideways). ;)

Straight red if caught in possession of one, definitely an offensive weapon
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2018, 10:06pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from GrimRob

Straight red if caught in possession of one, definitely an offensive weapon

I used to have a football rattle when I was a kid   :)

Posted by: Ipswin, June 21, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 138
Another flipping penalty (for the Aussies again) How many more in this WC?

VAR decision again.

They have a 20 over thrash in cricket taking over from 'proper' (test) cricket, perhaps future World Cups will just be simple penalty shoot outs right from day 1
Posted by: Meza, June 21, 2018, 2:14pm; Reply: 139
And it wasnt even a penalty imo.  Why cant official's get it right.  VAR is being used incorrectly and none decisions are being made.  Brown envelopes to officisls in VAR room. Lol

Hand to ball
Not ball to hand ffs
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 21, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 140

France take the lead against Peru.

Fair play to the Peru fans though, they heavily out number the France fans.....great atmosphere.
Posted by: BraStrap, June 21, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 141
Peru couldn't score in a brothel
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 21, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 142

Blunder by the Argie keeper.......Argentina 0-1 Croatia.

Let's see a shot of Maradona's face   ;D
Posted by: Meza, June 21, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 143
Bye argies 🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 21, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 144

Get in 2-0   ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 21, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 145
Lionel messi, batistuta, Eva peron, Diego maradona, Ricky villa, ossie (from tottingham) ardiles, Gabriela sabatini, che guevara, Carlos tevez

Are you watching?
Your boys took one hell of a beating
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 21, 2018, 8:50pm; Reply: 146

3-0 ........you better light another cigar up Diego  8)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 21, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 147
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Adios Argies!
Posted by: GrimRob, June 21, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 148
Messi's going home
He's going
Messi's going home
Posted by: Meza, June 21, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from GrimRob
Messi's going home
He's going
Messi's going home

has Messi scored in a world cup....if not does that not make him world class haha....unlike Cristiano
Posted by: Abdul19, June 21, 2018, 11:32pm; Reply: 150
They looked every inch a side managed by Russell Slade's 'cool' Latino cousin
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 22, 2018, 10:23am; Reply: 151
I never realised that Tommy Forecast had Argentinian nationality.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 22, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 152
Quoted from Abdul19
They looked every inch a side managed by Russell Slade's 'cool' Latino cousin

Thought it was Louis Spence
Posted by: mariner91, June 22, 2018, 11:20am; Reply: 153
Quoted from Meza

has Messi scored in a world cup....if not does that not make him world class haha....unlike Cristiano

Yes. He's scored four. And even if he hadn't, it is mind boggling that you would even consider that he isn't world class.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 22, 2018, 11:41am; Reply: 154
Quoted from Meza

Grow up
Posted by: Meza, June 22, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 155
Quoted from mariner91

Yes. He's scored four. And even if he hadn't, it is mind boggling that you would even consider that he isn't world class.

Yeah im kidding.  Of course he's world class.  I just want to know what classes u as being "world class" thats all.  Cant argue with both Messi and Ronaldo top top players.  Argentina have never really got the best out of messi.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 22, 2018, 11:46am; Reply: 156
Do not compare them. Both world class, both to be appreciated. I want to see the best players on the best stage. Felt for messi last night, he has a whole nations expectations on his shoulders
Posted by: Meza, June 22, 2018, 12:53pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from Hagrid
Do not compare them. Both world class, both to be appreciated. I want to see the best players on the best stage. Felt for messi last night, he has a whole nations expectations on his shoulders

You could tell from his anxiety when the camera was close up on him during the anthems.
Posted by: LH, June 22, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 158
The first Argentinian face they zoomed on after the celebrations following the first goal was Messi’s rather than Caballero who had messed up for the goal in the first place.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 22, 2018, 1:38pm; Reply: 159
Messi has to carry basically a whole team, I think it shows that the very top 4/5 club sides, e.g. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City etc are better than probably every national side.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 22, 2018, 2:26pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Gaffer58
Messi has to carry basically a whole team, I think it shows that the very top 4/5 club sides, e.g. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City etc are better than probably every national side.

I reckon most Premier League teams could win the World Cup. They have the advantage of training together all year round and being able to pick players which complement one another and work well together.
Posted by: mariner91, June 22, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from Meza

Yeah im kidding.  Of course he's world class.  I just want to know what classes u as being "world class" thats all.  Cant argue with both Messi and Ronaldo top top players.  Argentina have never really got the best out of messi.

Being world class surely just means one of the best in the world in your position? He's one of, if not the, best player of all time.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 22, 2018, 5:08pm; Reply: 162
I think it is unfair to judge him on the Croatia game. A decent goalie would have made a tremendous difference to the whole team and Croatia did a good marking job on him.

However, in the previous game Messi had the ball a lot more than anyone else, he had good chances for goals and opportunities for assists where he went for glory himself. It was as if he felt he had to win the game on his own and he didn’t trust his team mates. I got the feeling that a reaction to that showed  in the way his team mates played with him in the Croatia game.

It’s not the first time I’ve had the feeling that Messi finds it hard to be a team player in a side of lesser lights, and that contrasts with the way Ronaldo’s team works with him to get him into areas where he can be most deadly. That’s not just an ability thing is it? Messi has that in spades, but it takes more than just ability to be a great player in my book.
Posted by: Grantley, June 22, 2018, 5:48pm; Reply: 163
Messi is a better footballer than Ronaldo. But Ronaldo, on the big game stage, is a completely different animal. He drags his teams through the game with his work rate and will win at all costs.

It does make you wonder why Argentina are so bad when you see their standard of player.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 22, 2018, 7:49pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from Grantley
Messi is a better footballer than Ronaldo. But Ronaldo, on the big game stage, is a completely different animal. He drags his teams through the game with his work rate and will win at all costs.

It does make you wonder why Argentina are so bad when you see their standard of player.

Just interested to know. In what way do you think is he better?

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 22, 2018, 8:34pm; Reply: 165

The Serbia v Switzerland game could go either way (1-1)...into the last 15 mins
Posted by: golfer, June 22, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 166
Personally I can't stand Ronaldo but in my opinion he comes very close to being the best player EVER.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 22, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 167
Switzerland's Shaqiri trying to impress Klopp to get his transfer to Liverpool, bit too greedy for me, always wanting to be the centre of attention.
Posted by: golfer, June 22, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 168
The ref is absolutely blind or else he has a personal grudge against Mitrovic
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 22, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from Gaffer58
Switzerland's Shaqiri trying to impress Klopp to get his transfer to Liverpool, bit too greedy for me, always wanting to be the centre of attention.

And scores the winner  :)

Posted by: Gaffer58, June 22, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Gaffer58

Gulp!!! As I was saying he's a world beater and would walk into any team, wish he was English!!!
Posted by: Abdul19, June 22, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 171
2 Kosovans scoring tonight, bet that went down well in Belgrade
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 22, 2018, 11:08pm; Reply: 172

What's the best result for us.... Belgium v Tunisia ?

Not sure myself but will be watching 13:00 Saturday
Posted by: Rick12, June 23, 2018, 7:03am; Reply: 173
Quoted from mariner91

Being world class surely just means one of the best in the world in your position? He's one of, if not the, best player of all time.
I think though for pure skill Ronaldinho tops them all

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 9:30am; Reply: 174
Quoted from Rick12
I think though for pure skill Ronaldinho tops them all

Also tops the list of being up his own @rse......even more than Ronaldo.

Posted by: Rick12, June 23, 2018, 9:43am; Reply: 175

Also tops the list of being up his own @rse......even more than Ronaldo.

Ive always liked him though as a person.Warm and funny. Xavi who played with him at Barcelona said similar
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 176

Belgium making easy work of Tunisia so far.....1 up after 6 minutes (Hazard penalty)
Posted by: Kris2, June 23, 2018, 1:12pm; Reply: 177

Belgium making easy work of Tunisia so far.....1 up after 6 minutes (Hazard penalty)

Should have scored again just a moment ago, scuffed his shot
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 178

Belgium 2-0 up after 15 minutes....is this the Tunisia team that we scraped a late 2-1 win against   ::)
Posted by: Kris2, June 23, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 179
Tunisia are pretty dangerous from set pieces and got one back. They have some tall players. Belgium nearly scored again but lukaku's first touch was too heavy. Good sportsmanship from him for not trying to get a penalty losing his footing when the keeper got to the ball first. Some players would be acting like they've been shot.....Looking at you Neymar.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 23, 2018, 2:07pm; Reply: 180
Wouldn't it be a game worth watching if both teams, any game, went out with the intention of playing fairly, no diving, no time wasting, just pure football. Probably FIFA/EUFA might realise what really urines off the fans off and one day start clamping down on the cheats.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 7:32pm; Reply: 181

Sweden go 1 up against Germany    ;D
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, June 23, 2018, 7:56pm; Reply: 182
Fantastic to view, hope zee Germans get knocked out (100)(100)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 183

Germany down to ten men.......cmon Sweden
Posted by: Hagrid, June 23, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 184
Amazing. never write off the Germans
Posted by: moosey_club, June 23, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 185
Jammy Kuntz
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 8:58pm; Reply: 186
Quoted from moosey_club
Jammy Kuntz

What position was he playing ?

Seriously though the Germans will probably go on and win the World Cup now  :o

Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 23, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 187
Cracking goal by Kroos.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 23, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Cracking goal by Kroos.

Think ?
I honestly think that was pretty poor goalkeeping.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 23, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 189
Quoted from moosey_club

Think ?
I honestly think that was pretty poor goalkeeping.

It was like David Seaman 2002 but the kick was a bit closer to goal.

Posted by: Maringer, June 23, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 190
You could argue that the keeper went with the wrong hand, but it was one hell of a shot. Not sure he'd have saved it, regardless.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 23, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 191
i would be disappointed on a Sunday morning if someone scored from that angle ....never mind being an international keeper.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 23, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 192
Quoted from moosey_club
Jammy Kuntz
Could say that, or could say they kept the pressure on the Swedes incredibly well and eventually they cracked, (they hardly had a kick in the second half) a defender makes a silly decision and they capitalise, a bit like us at Braintree after being pants in the previous game losing 1-0...

The Germans are amazing at tournament football, if Mexico beat the Swedes and the Germans end up second in the Group, I'd back them to beat Brazil again if they get past Serbia, could then be England v Germany again...

Posted by: Pontooner, June 23, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 193
Swedes game management in the last 10 mins was very poor. Kept giving the ball away and finally, a stupid free kick that led to the goal.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 23, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 194
It was almost as if the Swedes were conspiring with the ref to let Germany win.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 10:26pm; Reply: 195

To be fair to the Germans it was the Swedes that looked like they were down to 10 men towards the end.

We're on next   ??)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 23, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from Pontooner
Swedes game management in the last 10 mins was very poor. Kept giving the ball away and finally, a stupid free kick that led to the goal.

Considering they were playing against 10 men as well they should be ashamed of the way they let the game get away from them. Giving away a free kick there in injury time seemed almost inevitable didn’t it?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 197

Off subject I know but I'm watching the England v New Zealand rugby league game in Denver.

I don't claim to know the rules but why was that New Zealand player not sent-off for standing deliberately on the England players hand.

Imagine if that happened in football.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 23, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 198
Rugby league? In Denver?!
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 23, 2018, 10:48pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from Abdul19
Rugby league? In Denver?!

BBC 2..... :)

Posted by: LH, June 23, 2018, 11:24pm; Reply: 200
Odd that I’m less surprised that it’s Denver, CO than I would have been if it was Denver, Norfolk.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 24, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 201

Probably best if we lose to Belgium.......

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11415745/england-knockout-permutations-would-a-second-placed-finish-in-group-g-be-preferable
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 24, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 202
Out of interest, why are there so many supporters from the South American countries, they seem to be easily outnumbering those from the European countries.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 24, 2018, 10:41pm; Reply: 203

Written before Colombia's superb display tonight!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 24, 2018, 11:29pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from Gaffer58
Out of interest, why are there so many supporters from the South American countries, they seem to be easily outnumbering those from the European countries.

I was wondering that. There's a lot by any standard but when you factor in lower incomes it's phenomenal.
Posted by: Rick12, June 25, 2018, 7:08am; Reply: 205
Quoted from Gaffer58
From Brazil's standpoint remember reading a interesting article on why they have done so well in the world cups.They have never been in any major wars for instance and due to the poverty and horrendous past of Brazil eg the slave trade football is a outlet for positive national identity for many .Likewise if you factor in the amount of registered football players they have in that country eg around 2 million in 2014 you start to realise thats its a ideal breeding ground for football success.

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 26, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 206

Messi scores for Argentina against Nigeria......you just know they are going to scrape through to the knock-out stage.

Cmon .....Iceland.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 26, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 207

Messi scores for Argentina against Nigeria......you just know they are going to scrape through to the knock-out stage.

Cmon .....Iceland.

Sadly I think that applies to all the 'big, boring, always do well' pre-tournament favourites who looked a bit wobbly in the first group games

They'll all be there at the last knockings, Argentina, Brazil, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany so predictable

Pinning my hopes on Belgium,Croatia, Mexico and Uruguay to make the whole thing bearable

I exclude England on the basis that they've not actually played anyone who could beat Slade's team yet, our Golden Boot entrant has two penalties and one he knew absolutely nowt about in his total of five and Southgate is just too boringly honest to throw the Belgium game so we get an easier route.

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 26, 2018, 8:09pm; Reply: 208

Argentina 1-1 Nigeria...as it stands the Argies are out   :)
Posted by: Mallyner, June 26, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 209

Argentina 1-1 Nigeria...as it stands the Argies are out   :)

The pleasure i would have seeing that fat, ugly, cheating get Maradonna loose his smirk.  :)
Posted by: bawarmy, June 26, 2018, 8:28pm; Reply: 210
Quoted from Mallyner

The pleasure i would have seeing that fat, ugly, cheating get Maradonna loose his smirk.  :)

If there is a more repulsive man in the world than Diego Maradona I am yet to see him.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 26, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 211
Quoted from bawarmy

If there is a more repulsive man in the world than Diego Maradona I am yet to see him.

I normally have a drink in the No 2 pub after the match  ;)
Posted by: Rick12, June 26, 2018, 9:02pm; Reply: 212
Messi is a joy to watch.Magic

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 26, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 213
Maradona is the least likely looking ex-footballer in history.  Even more so when Rhead retires.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 26, 2018, 9:08pm; Reply: 214
Quoted from bawarmy

Steve Evans  :)

Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 26, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 215
Argies against the frogs next round
Suarez vs Ronaldo too
Posted by: Maringer, June 27, 2018, 8:44am; Reply: 216
I can't see anything but a drubbing by the French given the way the Argies have played this tournament. I suppose there is always the chance of Messi magic or Aguero scoring a cracker, but you'd have to think that the French should be scoring at least two or three goals in that game.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 27, 2018, 10:08am; Reply: 217
France haven't been particularly convincing either though! They certainly didn't drub anybody in their group.
Posted by: Maringer, June 27, 2018, 10:34am; Reply: 218
Can't say I've seen them, truth be told. I'm just going on the fact that the French looked good when they beat us earlier this year and I've seen a game and a half of the Argies who have looked really poor.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 27, 2018, 10:48am; Reply: 219
France look pretty average from what I've seen and he doesn't seem to know his best team. Better than Argentina though! Not often a team plays well from start to end either so who knows who might come good in the knockout stages.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 27, 2018, 11:50am; Reply: 220
There's a decent chance of today's fixtures resulting in Brazil - Germany in the next round
Posted by: Rick12, June 27, 2018, 12:07pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from AdamHaddock
There's a decent chance of today's fixtures resulting in Brazil - Germany in the next round
Thing is when you have the likes of Neymar in your side you have a big advantage. There like 3 players in one.Similar to Messi,Isco and Ronaldo.

Posted by: fishyfanny, June 27, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 222
Germany going out as it stands  ;D
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 27, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 223
Why have South Korea been told not to shoot at goal when they are in the penalty area?
Posted by: Abdul19, June 27, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 224
It's like the DMZ
Posted by: golfer, June 27, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 225
If Germany score and get a lucky win to knock Mexico out who won their first 2 matches, the Mexican players along with the President will most likely be assassinated .  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 27, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 226
South Korea 1-0 Germany      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Make that 2   :X
Posted by: Mallyner, June 27, 2018, 4:57pm; Reply: 227

South Korea 1-0 Germany      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Grexit.  :) :) :)
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 27, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 228
They’re out!!!!

It’s coming home!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 27, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 229
Really upset that Germany conceded a very late goal.

Where were the Germans? But frankly who cares!

Who would have thought that England would play so much better and go further?
Posted by: Sweden, June 27, 2018, 5:04pm; Reply: 230
YES!!!!!
Posted by: Abdul19, June 27, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 231
Curse of the holder strikes again!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 27, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 232
Good job we did not do that "pick your last 4 teams" competition.   ;)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 27, 2018, 5:39pm; Reply: 233
I really dislike the anti-German sentiment. Surely we've moved beyond.........nah I can't do it. That was awesome!
Posted by: Bigdog, June 27, 2018, 6:07pm; Reply: 234
https://twitter.com/richardofyorks/status/1012017529919860736
Posted by: Mallyner, June 27, 2018, 6:53pm; Reply: 235
Quoted from Abdul19
Curse of the holder strikes again!

I thought we had finished mentioning Slade.  :)

Posted by: Ipswin, June 27, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 236
Filthy Hun, they don't like it up 'em you know!

I do though ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 27, 2018, 10:50pm; Reply: 237
Quoted from Sweden
YES!!!!!

Shhhh! You lot nearly let them back in it. First of all losing the other night to them when winning would have been easier, then scoring all those goals against Mexico.

Thankfully, they didn't do their bit.

Only kidding  ;)

Gå På
Posted by: golfer, June 28, 2018, 6:24am; Reply: 238
Schadenfreude-----HERR we go
Posted by: Ipswin, June 28, 2018, 8:49am; Reply: 239
'Two world wars and two world cups, do dah do dah'

Or am I getting ahead of myself here?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 28, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 240
Random England point:  nearly all squad members came from academies outside of the Prem.  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 28, 2018, 4:38pm; Reply: 241

Latest....Senegal 0-1 Columbia

Latest....Japan 0-1 Poland

Senegal look like they are going out with Japan and Columbia going through.
Posted by: Numanoid, June 28, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 242
Why do we always seem to lose when on ITV ,or is my imagination? anyway hope we change the trend for columbia game !  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 3:34pm; Reply: 243

France looking comfortable against Argentina at the moment.......latest France 1-0 Argentina
Posted by: Abdul19, June 30, 2018, 3:54pm; Reply: 244
Mbappe was on fire early on. France may regret not putting the argies out of sight.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 30, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 245
Di Maria scores with a wonder strike from distance.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 30, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 246
Pogba looking awesome too.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 30, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 247
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Di Maria scores with a wonder strike from distance.

Jim Dobbin special.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 4:11pm; Reply: 248

Lucky goal for the Argies ......2-1
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 249

Goal of the tournament for me 2-2
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 30, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 250
France back in the lead.  The better team.  Very good game and 2 good goals - so far.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 4:28pm; Reply: 251

France 4-2 Argentina

Not sure Jolley would be interested if Messi's agent came calling   :)
Posted by: Abdul19, June 30, 2018, 4:29pm; Reply: 252
That spawny Argentina 2nd goal has poked the French bear! Mbappe outstanding.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 30, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 253
Mbappe leads the Argies with 2 goals and winning a pen.  Still a teenager.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 30, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 254
What a game this has been. France not looking average today!
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 255

Otamendi claiming a penalty when his own player knocked him down  ;D

Lets have a camera shot of that cheat Maradona please.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 30, 2018, 4:56pm; Reply: 256
Are Lincoln preparing a big bid for Mbappe?  You never know...........
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 30, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 257
Mbappe was awesome. France have a one man match winner there.

19 years old and five times the player the likes of Rooney and Owen were at that age.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 30, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 258
Blimey, what a game.

Have to say France look so powerful and full of running. Will take some stopping.

But why on earth would the Argies not start with Aguero? Crazy.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 30, 2018, 5:15pm; Reply: 259
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

He’s only young. Not too sure he’s quite ready for the step up  ;)
Posted by: oldun, June 30, 2018, 5:33pm; Reply: 260
Lucky France are in the other half of the draw as England would not live with them on that showing. Such pace and power in midfield.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 30, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 261
Magnifique!

I do love seeing those, cheating, dirty, whinging girl privates lose. If they played to their strengths they'd be superb, but instead they try to niggle their way through.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 30, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 262
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Another 6 stone and they'd be interested
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 263

Latest.....Uruguay 1-0 Portugal

Messi and Ronaldo out of the World Cup on the same day......surely not.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 264

Suarez holding his head poleaxed when he was knocked in the back ......biggest cheat on the planet....embarrassing
Posted by: MidnightMariner, June 30, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 265
Can sombody tell me wby the Uruguay keeper has whst appears to be  4 world cup stars on his jersey?
As far as im aware Uruguay have only won the world cup twice yeah   🤔
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 30, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 266
Suarez rolling apart aside, Uruguay really are a tough team to break down. Cavani especially puts in an incredible shift.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 30, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 267
Sick of all the tap-ins today. Cavani to find a left-footer before full time really would be the perfect hat-trick.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 30, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 268
Lovely goal
Posted by: LH, June 30, 2018, 8:26pm; Reply: 269
This has been one of the best world cups. The two knockout stage games so far have been belters.

Re Uruguay’s stars: two are for Olympic gold wins.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 30, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 270
Agree. Best for years.
Posted by: Marinerdan, June 30, 2018, 8:28pm; Reply: 271
Quoted from MidnightMariner
Can sombody tell me wby the Uruguay keeper has whst appears to be  4 world cup stars on his jersey?
As far as im aware Uruguay have only won the world cup twice yeah   🤔

Two of them are for Olympic gold medals from the Pre-World Cup days.

A couple of their players have their swimming badges on the shorts too.
Posted by: chaos33, June 30, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 272
Some absolutely fantastic goals today, but Pavard's strike for France was sheer poetry.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 30, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 273
I’m confused. I thought there had only been one previous World Cup. In 1966.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 30, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 274
Quoted from Civvy at last
I’m confused. I thought there had only been one previous World Cup. In 1966.

All the others weren't proper World Cups   ;)
Posted by: LH, June 30, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 275
Uruguay bollocksed towards the end. Portugal very limited. Ronaldo anonymous.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 30, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 276
Great start to the last 16, Both games have been excellent.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 30, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 277
Another fine match.

Thought Uruguay were great defensively. Managed not to give  away any dangerous free kicks outside the box all game.

Will be a cracking game against France.
Posted by: MidnightMariner, June 30, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 278
Quoted from LH
This has been one of the best world cups. The two knockout stage games so far have been belters.

Re Uruguay’s stars: two are for Olympic gold wins.

Ahh, cheers.
Didnt know they were awarded for Olympics also.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 1, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 279
Quoted from chaos33
Some absolutely fantastic goals today, but Pavard's strike for France was sheer poetry.

It WAS beautiful in itself wasn’t it. Reminder of why I watch football in the first place.

Plus it was against those illegitimates too :-)
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 1, 2018, 11:48am; Reply: 280
If England are going to win it again, we won't get a better chance than this year. Italy and Holland didn't qualify. Portugal, Argentina and Germany already out. France, Spain and Brazil far from convincing and defensively suspect.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 1, 2018, 12:07pm; Reply: 281
Already the best WC since 1966 irrespective of England's progress.

The Krauts are out, the Argies are out and Ronaldo and Messi are on their way home and Maradona is hopefully crying over his latest line of Colombian marching powder

Just need France and Brazil to intercourse up now, oh, and someone to knock Suarez's teeth down his throat and it will be perfect
Posted by: Abdul19, July 1, 2018, 12:18pm; Reply: 282
Portugal going out is always a highlight of a major tournament. But even aside from that it's been a cracker. Looking forward to seeing Croatia tonight, hopefully they can see off a dull Danmark.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 1, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 283
Quoted from Ipswin
Already the best WC since 1966 irrespective of England's progress.

The Krauts are out, the Argies are out and Ronaldo and Messi are on their way home and Maradona is hopefully crying over his latest line of Colombian marching powder

Just need France and Brazil to intercourse up now, oh, and someone to knock Suarez's teeth down his throat and it will be perfect

Hope so. Sadly I can see them going all the way to the Final. Best I've seen defensively so far, and capable of goals.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 1, 2018, 4:10pm; Reply: 284

Just got in to see latest Spain 1-1 Russia........didn't expect that.
Posted by: carrot top, July 1, 2018, 4:21pm; Reply: 285
Spain are boring. Tippy tap pay possession with little threat. As for Russia they need to have more fire in their bellies to make up for lack of quality
Worst game so far
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 1, 2018, 4:34pm; Reply: 286
Couldn't agree more carrot top!

There's just no passion or positivity to the play.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 1, 2018, 5:49pm; Reply: 287
Spain going home in the rain.  They did not deserve anything for their inability to create clear-cut chances.  Over 1,100 passes for Spain.
Posted by: sutton mariner, July 1, 2018, 5:49pm; Reply: 288
Spain out. Odds shortening on England
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 1, 2018, 5:58pm; Reply: 289

Get in......missed the penalty shoot out as I went across the road to watch the Red Arrows.
Posted by: Perkins, July 1, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 290

Get in......missed the penalty shoot out as I went across the road to watch the Red Arrows.

YES, why did the event organisers time the red arrows arrival to coincide with the penalty shoot out?🤔
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 1, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 291
Quoted from Perkins

YES, why did the event organisers time the red arrows arrival to coincide with the penalty shoot out?🤔

It’s typical liberal western plot to distract attention from glorious World Cup of Mother Russia.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 1, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 292
Spain unlucky not to get a nailed on penalty in ET.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 1, 2018, 7:08pm; Reply: 293

The World Cup that just keeps on giving........Croatia 1-1 Denmark after 4 minutes.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 1, 2018, 7:13pm; Reply: 294
What a start. Can't say I expected Denmark to be involved in a goalfest!
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 1, 2018, 7:49pm; Reply: 295
Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Sweden, Swizterland, Colombia, England. One of those teams will be in The World Cup Final. Come on England, you won't get a better chance than this year!
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 1, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 296
Quoted from Les Brechin
Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Sweden, Swizterland, Colombia, England. One of those teams will be in The World Cup Final. Come on England, you won't get a better chance than this year!

It will be Russia, Mr Putin has already bet £5 on it.
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 1, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 297
Quoted from carrot top
Spain are boring. Tippy tap pay possession with little threat. As for Russia they need to have more fire in their bellies to make up for lack of quality
Worst game so far

You were clearly lucky enough not to watch Denmark v France. Now that was an absolute shocker!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 1, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 298
Why wasn't that a red???
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 1, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 299
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Why wasn't that a red???

I think law states that if they make genuine attempt for the ball then only a yellow.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 1, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 300
Yeah that's the rule. If it's deliberate it can be red and a penalty but if deemed to be a genuine attempt to play the ball then it's a yellow.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 1, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 301

What happened to the ABBA penalties ?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 1, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 302
Seams ridiculous to me. But, that's the rules I guess
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 1, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 303

What happened to the ABBA penalties ?

They have retired  ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 1, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 304
A mixture of poor pens and good goalkeeping.,

Come on England step up to the mark  8)
Posted by: GrimRob, July 1, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 305
England will either lose to Colombia or reach the final IMHO
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 1, 2018, 10:41pm; Reply: 306
France are the only team that look like winning the World Cup.  They won’t win anything with a kid though.
Posted by: LH, July 1, 2018, 11:03pm; Reply: 307
When England inevitably intercourse this up from here it’s going to really hurt.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 2, 2018, 3:19pm; Reply: 308
There is sense in England being in with the other numpties (Russia, Croatia, Sweden, Switzerland and Colombia) farther than be in the other half of the draw with France, Belgium, Brazil and Mexico and Uruguay.

If England beat Colombia then we have a decent chance of reaching the final.  Less chance then of beating the top team that should also get to the final.

How the top teams have failed.  Since 1966 at least 2 of the following teams have reached the quarter-finals:  Spain, Argentina, Italy and Germany/West Germany.

Mbappe made a lighning long run against Argentina, beating defenders.  20 years before to the day, another teenager also made a speedy long run against Argentina, beating defenders.   Michael Owen.  Both runs resulted in goals.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 2, 2018, 3:47pm; Reply: 309
brazil - mexico.cracking first half, so much skill and ability on show.  Interesting that whilst most teams have brought everyone back for corners (was Slade so wrong on this?) Mexico leaving 3 up there to free up the penalty area and to help with the possibility of a breakaway
Posted by: GrimRob, July 2, 2018, 3:53pm; Reply: 310
Quoted from forza ivano
brazil - mexico.cracking first half, so much skill and ability on show.  Interesting that whilst most teams have brought everyone back for corners (was Slade so wrong on this?) Mexico leaving 3 up there to free up the penalty area and to help with the possibility of a breakaway

Slade was ahead of his time  ;)
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 2, 2018, 4:05pm; Reply: 311
Quoted from GrimRob

Slade was ahead of his time  ;)

Slade was barely ahead of the Jurassic time period.

For the unitiated, the Jurassic age ended 145 million years ago and Slade took over at Scarborough soon after.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 2, 2018, 4:10pm; Reply: 312
Well worked goal that. Am hoping for a Mexican win though. Improves our chances should we get through Colombia, Swiss/Swede, and Russia.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 2, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 313
I know he's a fantastic player but Neymar's an absolute cockwomble
Posted by: oldun, July 2, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 314
I know France looked pretty good, but as always to win the cup you have to beat Brazil
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 2, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 315
Quoted from Abdul19
I know he's a fantastic player but Neymar's an absolute cockwomble

You mean he hangs around Wimbledon Common collecting used condoms to turn into something else?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 316

Japan look out of their depth against Belgium....surely only a matter of time before Belgium score.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 317

Japan look out of their depth against Belgium....surely only a matter of time before Belgium score.

Commentators curse.....Japan playing a lot better now   :)

Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2018, 8:10pm; Reply: 318

WOW.........Belgium 0-2 Japan
Posted by: RonMariner, July 2, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 319

WOW.........Belgium 0-2 Japan

Holy Smoke!!
Posted by: RonMariner, July 2, 2018, 8:18pm; Reply: 320
Still think Belgium will win though. Might take extra time though.
Posted by: Maringer, July 2, 2018, 8:20pm; Reply: 321
Not with Lukaku missing chances like that, they won't!
Posted by: Cloudy, July 2, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 322
Quoted from RonMariner

I said the same to my daughter. Can see Belgium winning this still
Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 323
Quoted from Maringer
Not with Lukaku missing chances like that, they won't!

You were saying? Hope Belgium win it I want them to win the whole thing.
Posted by: Maringer, July 2, 2018, 8:34pm; Reply: 324
Belgium succeed by putting it into the box for the big lads. Lump-esque header from Vertonghen, I thought, though dodgy positioning from the keeper.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 325
Quoted from Ipswin

You were saying? Hope Belgium win it I want them to win the whole thing.

Not England ?

Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 326

Not England ?

I've already dismissed that stupid idea, I'm looking at Belgium as the team I like best out of the likely remaining dross. So long as its not the French or Brazilians I'm not that bothered.

Posted by: RonMariner, July 2, 2018, 9:01pm; Reply: 327
Quoted from RonMariner

I was wrong about extra time then.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 2, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 328
England  v  Belgium    Final      
Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 329
Quoted from grimsby pete
England  v  Belgium    Final      

Would be a great final Pete. Would not mind finishing second to the Belgians so long as we don't get beaten by France or Brazil. I'd rather lose tomorrow than to the French in the final
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 2, 2018, 11:48pm; Reply: 330
That was a hell of a second half and NO ONE saw that coming. Glad it didn't go to extra time though. Yesterday's games used up too much time.

Cracking World Cup.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 3, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 331

If we win tonight we could be playing Sweden in the quarter-finals !

Lucky with the deflection but.....

Latest.....Sweden 1-0 Switzerland.

Posted by: forza ivano, July 3, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 332
christ this sweden switzerland game is shiite (apart from shaqiri) .about as much quality as your average conference gam. huff n puff with very little quality.embarrassing shanks, over hit passes, complete with pathetic amateurish diving
sweden (or switzerland) plus russia must surely rank as 2 of the worst teams ever to get through to the world cup quarter finals
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 6, 2018, 4:53pm; Reply: 333

FT    Uruguay 0-2 France

Suarez sent home packing by the French   8)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 6, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 334
Good riddance to a niggly side. Remind me of Gateshead under Gary Mills.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 6, 2018, 5:00pm; Reply: 335
Good riddance to a niggly side. Remind me of Gateshead under Gary Mills.

Surely that must be the first time anyone has compared Gateshead to Uruguay.  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 6, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 336

Really looking forward to this one tonight........Brazil v Belgium.......hope Neymar gets sent off and Belgium win.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 6, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 337
Le chat amongst the pigeons
Posted by: Abdul19, July 6, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 338
Exocet stuff from De Bruyne
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 6, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 339
Manchester winning and losing this match.

Belgium look like scoring on every counter-attack at pace.  Have Brazil not seen their winning goal against Japan? Do they think they can out-score Belgium?

Brazil also look to score when they get within 10 feet of the Belgium goal.

Exciting game.

Posted by: Abdul19, July 6, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 340
Cracking first half. Interesting tactics by Martinez, playing Lukaku wide, working a treat.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 6, 2018, 7:54pm; Reply: 341

Belgium look really dangerous on the counter......deffo more goals in this game.

Interesting stat.....if Belgium win tonight the 6 remaining teams are all European.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 6, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 342

Neymar again tries to con the ref for a pen.........should've been booked
Posted by: Abdul19, July 6, 2018, 8:20pm; Reply: 343
Agreed, it's half a job. All well and good telling him to get up but book him too. Reminds me of that sharp object Maddison in the playoff semi.

As for the slightly later penalty shout: surely it can't be one because the ball was out?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 6, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 344
That was my thoughts - he'd booted the ball out of play.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 6, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 345

I had to smile at a commentators comment the other day......Naymars pain threshold must be really low, I wouldn't like to see his face coming out of the doctors after an injection   :)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 6, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 346
.......Neymar needs a general anaethetic if he has a new tattoo.
Posted by: LH, July 6, 2018, 8:52pm; Reply: 347
I’d love Neymar to come and play in England just so we’d have a chance of seeing him away at a non-league club in R3 of the cup and getting proper rough treatment from Dave the lorry driver/centre half.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 6, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 348
Quoted from LH
I’d love Neymar to come and play in England just so we’d have a chance of seeing him away at a non-league club in R3 of the cup and getting proper rough treatment from Dave the lorry driver/centre half.

Shame Bradley Wood isn't playing anymore. He could get all his mates to place bets on him taking Neymar out.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 6, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 349
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
That was my thoughts - he'd booted the ball out of play.

Seeing it again it was a clear pen. What a shame!
Posted by: GrimRob, July 6, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 350
England could beat Sweden, Russia and Belgium to win the World Cup, neatly allowing everyone else to knock out the favourites  :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2018, 6:58pm; Reply: 351

Who would we prefer to play.......Russia or Croatia.......even though they have the home backing I would prefer to play Russia.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 7, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 352
if rather play Russia but 8 of Croatia players on yellows which would get them banned if they get another 1 this game
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2018, 7:38pm; Reply: 353

Unfancied Russia take the lead over Croatia.........it's coming home.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 7, 2018, 7:39pm; Reply: 354
Hell of a strike
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 7, 2018, 8:05pm; Reply: 355
Quoted from Les Brechin

Surely that must be the first time anyone has compared Gateshead to Uruguay.  ;)

Lots of similarities. Both lie on the banks of a famous river, opposite a more famous footballing place.

River Plate / River Tyne
Uruguay / Argentina
Gateshead / Newcastle
Locals are puzzled when outsiders don't realise the differences between the people on either side of the river
Outsiders don't give a shite.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 7, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 356
If Russia get through tonight can I suggest our players wear gloves between now and the semi, don't want to pick up anything dodgy from any door handles!!!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 357

Lots of similarities. Both lie on the banks of a famous river, opposite a more famous footballing place.

River Plate / River Tyne
Uruguay / Argentina
Gateshead / Newcastle
Locals are puzzled when outsiders don't realise the differences between the people on either side of the river
Outsiders don't give a shite.

River Humber / River Humber
Hull / Grimsby (more famous)   ;)

Posted by: golfer, July 7, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 358
Looking at tonights match I think we could beat both teams at the same time.  The cup's there for the taking looking at the teams left in
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 359

The drama of penalties again.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 7, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 360
Quoted from golfer
Looking at tonights match I think we could beat both teams at the same time.  The cup's there for the taking looking at the teams left in

Ignoring the semifinal France/Belgium might have a say in things.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 361

The Russian players are now on a luxury black and white coach heading to Siberia   8)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 7, 2018, 9:52pm; Reply: 362
England v Modric
Posted by: GrimRob, July 7, 2018, 10:14pm; Reply: 363

The Russian players are now on a luxury black and white coach heading to Siberia   8)

It's the gulags for anyone who missed a pen
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 7, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 364
Quoted from GrimRob

It's the gulags for anyone who missed a pen

As bad as he is....even Putin wouldn't send them to Glasgow   :)

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 7, 2018, 11:46pm; Reply: 365
After the Iceland disaster, who would have thought that England would play 7 matches at the next World Cup?  

And with the last game against France or Belgium.  Depending on whether we are in the final or the third place playoff.  All invaluable experience for this team to build for the future.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 7, 2018, 11:51pm; Reply: 366
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
After the Iceland disaster, who would have thought that England would play 7 matches at the next World Cup?  

And with the last game against France or Belgium.  Depending on whether we are in the final or the third place playoff.  All invaluable experience for this team to build for the future.

Not me for one.

I'm loving being proved wrong.

On an' on
Posted by: GrimRob, July 8, 2018, 8:57am; Reply: 367
Have we got more emotionally attached to the England team. This poll is closer than usual 🇫🇴

https://twitter.com/TheFishyGTFC/status/1015706295318478848?s=08
Posted by: RonMariner, July 8, 2018, 9:50am; Reply: 368
Croatia have really struggled to get past Denmark and Russia. They have little to fear up front, and look a little shaky at the back. They also seemed very weary in extra time.

Modric is outstanding though, and is clearly the main threat.

But on the evidence of what I saw last night I think we have too much pace and energy for them to cope with, especially if it goes to extra time.

We seem to be getting stronger each game.

Amazing as it would have seemed three weeks ago we are now favourites to reach the World Cup Final. :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 10, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 369

HT   France 0-0 Belgium

Intriguing game with so much at stake.

Posted by: Maringer, July 10, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 370
Nobody else watching the other semi? A frighteningly large number of really good players on display for both sides and both keepers have been called on to make some good saves.

Belgium lucky not to have a couple of players in the book for cynical pulls/trips and the leniency shown by the ref might prove to be vital later in the game.

Wouldn't like to pick a winner following a very entertaining first half.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 10, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 371
Yeah, couldn't pick one beforehand and still can't. A good watch though.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 10, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 372

I hope Belgium win the game for their assistant coach Henry   8)
Posted by: Abdul19, July 10, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 373
And then after one coach takes on his home nation another one will on Sunday (Graeme Jones)  :)
Posted by: Abdul19, July 10, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 374
France 1 up. 'Eader from a corner.
Posted by: Maringer, July 10, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 375
France look really good on the break so it's going to be tough for the Belgies to come back now. You'd think France will probably bag another before the end of the game as it opens up.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 10, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 376
If we do play France in the final, it'll be interesting to see what Southgate's plans for Mbappe are. Him v Young sounds terrifying 1 v 1.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 10, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 377
Can't help but think we are watching the World Cup winners tonight
Posted by: Maringer, July 10, 2018, 8:52pm; Reply: 378
Yep. Impressed with just how disciplined the French team has been. They've got a plan and stuck to it - don't think I've seen Pogba perform so faultlessly as he's been one of their best defenders, not just good going forward.

Surprised that the Belgians haven't really gone for it earlier on, truth be told. I suppose the lack of a decent striker on the bench has cost them as they couldn't change it around up front at all.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 10, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 379
All is now clear:  We will play France or Belgium in our last game.

Ashley Young will need a minutes start to keep up with Mbappe. Maybe Rose is a possible starter?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 10, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 380
Super solid from France and they'll start clear favourites on Sunday whoever they play. Let's just hope it's us though and who knows what could happen if it is!
Posted by: RonMariner, July 10, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 381
I think we have a better chance of beating France than Belgium, so pleased to see this result. But there is the small matter of the semi final first.......
Posted by: Ipswin, July 10, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 382
Quoted from Abdul19
If we do play France in the final, it'll be interesting to see what Southgate's plans for Mbappe are. Him v Young sounds terrifying 1 v 1.

Hopefully there will be a rota of players designated to kick him up in the air early doors

Sadly tho' that's not Southgate's way

Posted by: GrimRob, July 10, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 383
Tomorrow is the biggest game (in my head) since Barnet at home  :-/
Posted by: RonMariner, July 10, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 384
Quoted from GrimRob
Tomorrow is the biggest game (in my head) since Barnet at home  :-/

I thought the Notts County game was the biggest of 2018, but maybe tomorrows will be just as satisfying! Hope so.

I really believe we can beat Croatia.

It's not inconceivable that we can beat France either. They lost in the last Euro final against a Portugal team without Ronaldo for most of the game.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 10, 2018, 11:45pm; Reply: 385
Think we saw the World Cup winners tonight.very impressive although felt sorry for 'Les Belges' coz it just didn't fall right for the.de Bruyne was pretty awful by his very high standards, dembele was a failed experiment and lukaku hardly had a kick. They will go away saying ' if only...'
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 10, 2018, 11:52pm; Reply: 386
First thought is that whichever team won that game were going to be the eventual winners. France are the best team I've seen in this tournament so whoever wins our semi is going to be clear underdogs.

However, the way this competition has gone, I won't be surprised if Croatia end up taking the trophy home.
Posted by: Maringer, July 11, 2018, 10:23am; Reply: 387
Flipping heck, talk about sour grapes from the Belgies:

Courtois is reported as saying: "“France heads a corner and does nothing more than defend... I would have preferred to have lost in the quarter-finals to Brazil, at least that was a team that wanted to play football. [France] are just an anti-football team.”

Hazard says: “I prefer to lose with this Belgium than win with this France. But they do defend strongly and are very efficient. We have not found their weak point. That little moment of magic needed to score was not there.”

The match stats show France had more than twice as many shots as Belgium (19 vs 9) with 5 on target in comparison to 3. Belgium received 3 times as many bookings as the French (and the referee was overly lenient) and committed almost 3 times as many fouls (16 vs 6). Which team was anti-football again? Bizarre whinging when they were well-beaten.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 11, 2018, 10:46am; Reply: 388
Lets win tonight against Croatia and see what happens on Sunday,

I think we have a better chance against France than if we played Belgium ,

Its a one off game and the team that scores first has a big advantage,

That relates to both of our remaining games.

ITS COMING HOME !!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 11, 2018, 10:50am; Reply: 389
The one thing that worries me is that the expectation is there now.

Most people didn't really think we'd get this far but now most people think that we'll win tonight.

I just hope that the team don't flop now that the expectation is with them.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 11, 2018, 11:02am; Reply: 390
Quoted from Les Brechin
The one thing that worries me is that the expectation is there now.

Most people didn't really think we'd get this far but now most people think that we'll win tonight.

I just hope that the team don't flop now that the expectation is with them.

I agree Les, the pressure is slightly on us tonight but if we win then all the pressure is on France in the final.

I don't think many England fans would be confident of beating France but you never know in football.

If we were to win it I wonder if anyone has plans for a new tattoo or something ?  :)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 11, 2018, 3:25pm; Reply: 391
Agree Les, all this hype is pissing me off. It never bodes well when the band waggon really gets rolling. I'm even thinking of banning my girls from watching it (one of them asked if she can watch it) despite not being interested in football.
Posted by: Rick12, July 16, 2018, 8:18am; Reply: 392
Mbappe what a player.Has pace and skill and performed admirably in the final .However Messi still eclipses him for me.
Posted by: Maringer, July 16, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 393
France a touch fortunate in the end. I missed first 30-odd minutes but they looked like a completely different team to the one which looked so compact and organised against the Belgians. Giving the ball away endlessly, not following runners and looking panicked at the back at times. Credit to Croatia for taking the game to them, but I can't help but think there was a bit of complacency there from the French - they thought they had it in the bag before kick-off.

Still, despite the luck in the first half, they had enough in the squad to pull away from the Croats in the second half - despite Loris' best attempts to even it out!

A concern is that, for all the talk about how young our squad has been this tournament, the France squad is younger still. We don't have anybody near the level of Griezmann, Pogba and Mbappe in those positions so it is going to have to be a real team performance if we're going to compete against them over the next few years.
Posted by: Rick12, July 16, 2018, 5:14pm; Reply: 394
Quoted from Maringer

A concern is that, for all the talk about how young our squad has been this tournament, the France squad is younger still. We don't have anybody near the level of Griezmann, Pogba and Mbappe in those positions so it is going to have to be a real team performance if we're going to compete against them over the next few years.
And when you see who they left out eg Benzema,Martial ,Payet(injured) and Lacazette  to name but a few you realise just how strong they really are

Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 1:07am