Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 14, 2018, 11:27am
Have heard Jolley is working really hard to get this lad into the club but apparently there is league one interested
Posted by: forza ivano, June 14, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Have heard Jolley is working really hard to get this lad into the club but apparently there is league one interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Long_(footballer)

never played at this level

there's a few comments about him on northampton's forum

http://www.thehotelend.co.uk/  then go to cobbler's corner

scroll down to thread  'Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?' - page 10 has the stuff about long
Posted by: Hannilowe, June 14, 2018, 12:57pm; Reply: 2
70 apps at League One level, and 15 goals
20 apps at Championship level, and 4 goals

not exactly a great scoring record, works out at a goal every 4.7 games. Maybe he would have a better record at League Two level, and I suppose he is still young (23 yrs old), but personally I am not convinced.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 14, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from forza ivano

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Long_(footballer)

never played at this level

Looks like he's never kicked a round football going by that link.  ;D
Posted by: forza ivano, June 14, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin

Looks like he's never kicked a round football going by that link.  ;D

bizarre. i just cut and pasted the address bar. oh well i'm sure people will be able to find it
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 14, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMruFmpTZzg

Can certainly hit a strike from distance. Some nice goals here
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 14, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Hannilowe
70 apps at League One level, and 15 goals
20 apps at Championship level, and 4 goals

not exactly a great scoring record, works out at a goal every 4.7 games. Maybe he would have a better record at League Two level, and I suppose he is still young (23 yrs old), but personally I am not convinced.

A player has 90 appearances and 19 goals in leagues higher than us at just 23 years old and you’re ‘not convinced’?
Posted by: Hannilowe, June 14, 2018, 1:27pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from pontoonlew

A player has 90 appearances and 19 goals in leagues higher than us at just 23 years old and you’re ‘not convinced’?

he is a striker, who hasnt got a great goals to games ratio, so no, i am not convinced.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 14, 2018, 1:42pm; Reply: 8
Let me give you some context, Omar Bogle has a 1 in 6 record in leagues above us. This guys record is 1 in 4.5...
Posted by: Superdan147, June 14, 2018, 1:43pm; Reply: 9
19 goals in 55 starts in the championship and league one. Very highly rated as a youngster and played at Everton and Burnley as well as being capped fair few times across England age groups. Scored numerous goals at youth/reserve team levels and is still just 23....but fish company operative Steve, 46, isn’t convinced that he could be a good signing for league two Grimsby town. Wow
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 14, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 10
Goal scoring record is a bit like Podge's before he came here
Posted by: sam gy, June 14, 2018, 1:58pm; Reply: 11
9 goals in 30 starts in League One last season? BOOOOOO.

Too many people are used to Football Manager and that ruthless rule you have with yourself. Must score one in two. Must have at least 15 for finishing regardless of other ratings.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 14, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 12
Would be a cracking signing looking at those stats and cv
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 14, 2018, 3:12pm; Reply: 13
Getting someone with his pedigree would be a massive advantage as you’d think he’d know what runs to make, where the space is and the technique to score goals at this level
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 14, 2018, 4:32pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Stew0_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMruFmpTZzg

Can certainly hit a strike from distance. Some nice goals here

Some good goals but how poor was the left back for that second goal!!!
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 14, 2018, 5:18pm; Reply: 15
I’m also hoping that our new “management team” I’ll call it are substantially better coaches than we had previously so the players will all improve as the season goes on. Added to that, hopefull, with our new policy of longer term contracts the players will develop over a period of time and for once we’ll reap the rewards.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 14, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 16
It's amazing what you can get from a player when they drop down a league or two and get them playing their best football.

We often refer to Podge and also Connell as examples of when you shouldn't judge strikers on paper.

Luckily managers tend to watch players in addition to reading their stats. Clearly Hurst saw something in Podge, as did Woods in Connell.

As always, you have to trust the manager knows what he's doing. If he can get a hat-trick out of JJ Hooper then I'm sure he can get something from just about any player.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 2:18pm