Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2018, 10:25pm

Just wondered how many on here will be following England in the World Cup ?

England are my 2nd team after Town so I'll be watching all 3 England games   8)
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 12, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 1
I'll be watching as many games as I can to be honest no matter the country, I'm in need of a football fix this off season.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 12, 2018, 11:33pm; Reply: 2
I love the World Cup and usually watch every game (one of the advantages of being self employed), but for the first time ever, i will be away on holiday during this one, and will be in remote parts of Scotland, so will probably struggle to find somewhere to watch many games. Will be in a well populated area on Monday and will most likely be able to find somewhere to watch the first England game, but after that, not really sure as i head into more remote areas.  :o
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2018, 11:37pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
I love the World Cup and usually watch every game (one of the advantages of being self employed), but for the first time ever, i will be away on holiday during this one, and will be in remote parts of Scotland, so will probably struggle to find somewhere to watch many games. Will be in a well populated area on Monday and will most likely be able to find somewhere to watch the first England game, but after that, not really sure as i head into more remote areas.  :o

Just don't cheer if England score Ginny   ;)

Posted by: AndyDarloFC, June 12, 2018, 11:47pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from ginnywings

What part of Scotland you heading to? I'm heading up to the highlands on Monday for the week.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 13, 2018, 12:24am; Reply: 5
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

What part of Scotland you heading to? I'm heading up to the highlands on Monday for the week.

Going to Arran on Sunday, then onto Kinytre, then Mull, followed by the Ardmanurchan peninsula, then up to Applecross. After that, we will probably head up to the Assynt mountains. Going for three weeks, so we could end up anywhere.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 13, 2018, 7:13am; Reply: 6
Quoted from ginnywings

Going to Arran on Sunday, then onto Kinytre, then Mull, followed by the Ardmanurchan peninsula, then up to Applecross. After that, we will probably head up to the Assynt mountains. Going for three weeks, so we could end up anywhere.

Sounds great. Plockton isn't that far from Applecross. Well worth a visit.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 13, 2018, 7:19am; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings

You’ll enjoy that, I’ve been to all those places, the Ardnamurchan peninsula is a lovely drive (especially to the lighthouse) I’d recommended Sutherland too Ginny  (Smoo cave is nice) near Durness, once you get above Ullapool the scenery is spectacular, enjoy yourself.
Posted by: Rick12, June 13, 2018, 7:56am; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings
I love the World Cup and usually watch every game (one of the advantages of being self employed),
Same.Ever since being a kid Ive always looked forward to the world cup.Like Christmas  ;)

Magazine I would recommend Ginny which I always get is world soccer's world cup edition. Excellent addition as a guide to the world cup .Includes talks with all the managers,tactics and profile for every squad player.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/publication/world-soccer/world-cup-2018-special-edition
Posted by: WokingMariner, June 13, 2018, 9:18am; Reply: 9
I normally watch the World Cup/Euros until England get knocked out and then take no interest in it at all.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 13, 2018, 9:44am; Reply: 10
My wife is half Danish so we have Denmark to follow as well as England,

My grandad was German coming to England when he was two,

That gives me another team to follow when England get knocked out,

I always want England to win whoever we play but apart from 66 always end up with Germany going further into the tournament than us.

Are you doing an England prediction game PP like your Town prediction thread ?
Posted by: Rick12, June 13, 2018, 10:00am; Reply: 11
Quoted from grimsby pete

In Christian Ericksen Denmark have one hell of a player. Arguably the best technical player of all the players between England and Denmark  ;)

Posted by: grimsby pete, June 13, 2018, 10:07am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Rick12
In Christian Ericksen Denmark have one hell of a player. Arguably the best technical player of all the players between England and Denmark  ;)

I remember when Denmark did not qualify for the Euro's but was put back in when Yugoslavia was at war,

They only went on to win it !!!!!!!!!!

Yes Ericksen is a very good player and they have some pretty useful ones most of the time,

I would like Town to sign one or two as they have plenty playing in Denmark that would be excellent for us in L2 and L1 and even the championship when we get there, 8)
Posted by: ginnywings, June 13, 2018, 10:18am; Reply: 13
Les- We went to Plockton last year on your recommendation and had lunch at the Plockton hotel. Very nice place, very nice area.

Chris- Thanks for the heads up on Sutherland, looks good and so does Smoo cave. Not sure if we will get that far this year, but will probably get up there next year. We are doing different areas each time we visit, and try not to spread ourselves too thin.

Rick- Thanks for the heads up on the mag, but i doubt i will be watching many games to be honest. More likely to be buying guide books.
Posted by: Toppy, June 13, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 14
Denmark have an excellent player in Eriksen.
But they also have other useful players such as Delaney (just signed for Borussia Dortmund), Christensen at Chelsea and Kasper Schmeichel.
They are lacking a strong goalscorer, especially after the Danish petition to FIFA, to have the world cup delayed until Lord Bendtner recovered form his injury, was ignored!
I think they will be very hard to beat and could surprise a lot of teams.
As will England I hope!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 13, 2018, 11:27am; Reply: 15
Maybe we are fortunate not to be Spanish this morning. They just sacked Lopetegui.

Will they still get further than England? Interesting bet to ponder.
Posted by: Sweden, June 13, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 16
I will follow Sweden and Iceland.
Posted by: Rick12, June 13, 2018, 11:45am; Reply: 17
Maybe we are fortunate not to be Spanish this morning. They just sacked Lopetegui.

Will they still get further than England? Interesting bet to ponder.
Very surprising to be honest . Saying that  the head of the Spanish FA claimed he was disappointed  at being told of the news late on of the  now ex boss  joining Real Madrid.Shame for them as he had been doing a good job.

Posted by: Sweden, June 13, 2018, 11:52am; Reply: 18
Quoted from grimsby pete

I remember when Denmark did not qualify for the Euro's but was put back in when Yugoslavia was at war,

They only went on to win it !!!!!!!!!!

Yes Ericksen is a very good player and they have some pretty useful ones most of the time,

I would like Town to sign one or two as they have plenty playing in Denmark that would be excellent for us in L2 and L1 and even the championship when we get there, 8)

I remember that I was at Bruce Springsteen concert in Stockholm and he announced that Sweden had beat England with 2-1 and that he wanted to play Glory Days. I also remember two Englishmen in the supermarket who would buy beer. One of them says: Look her fellow this is first class, we take that.
Class 1 is the beer that has the lowest alcoholic strength in Sweden. I did not say anything.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 13, 2018, 12:04pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

I always want England to win whoever we play but apart from 66 always end up with Germany going further into the tournament than us.

Good idea Pete.

I will do a free England prediction thread starting over the weekend which will hopefully go more than 3 games.

3 points for correct score after 90 mins in the group stages.
If we reach the knockout stage 3 points for correct score after 90 mins or if needed after extra time.

2 points for each exact correct England scorer.....examples....
If we score 3 goals and you predict exactly all 3 scorers only you get 6 points.
If we score 1 goal and you predict exactly that scorer only you get 2 points.

Posted by: moosey_club, June 13, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete

Jeez .... another opportunity for you.. ...if your Mrs has ever had a personal waxing Pete you could claim allegiance to Brazil as well  ;D
Posted by: Ipswin, June 13, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 21
Really drunk off that the Dutch aren't there

I was in a bar in Amsterdam four years ago when they stuffed the Spaniards 5-1 - amazing evening

It will take England to win it to better that night
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 13, 2018, 2:35pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from moosey_club

Jeez .... another opportunity for you.. ...if your Mrs has ever had a personal waxing Pete you could claim allegiance to Brazil as well  ;D

Well if we’re stretching that far I suppose I’ll be cheering on Greece as well then !!!!!!!!!!!  ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 13, 2018, 3:46pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from WokingMariner
I normally watch the World Cup/Euros until England get knocked out and then take no interest in it at all.

So after the group games that's you usually finished.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 13, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 24
Made it past the groups in 8 out the last 10 tournaments they've been in ;)
Posted by: Skrill, June 13, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 25
It will be interesting to see what England can achieve, barring that South Africa and Brazil were just too much of a hot climate. Russia on the other hand should ease things a little in the European favour. Ignoring Germany of course.
Posted by: Maringer, June 13, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 26
I don't think that South Africa was actually hot for most of our games, was it? I seem to recall that the subs were sitting with blankets on them during the first game. We screwed the pooch there by training and living at altitude in the lead up to the first game, so the players were fecked by the time it came around to playing. Most teams just travelled there to acclimatise for a couple of days before but were based at lower altitude.

Don't disagree that the weather conditions ought to be better for us than in Brazil, however. First game could be pretty warm but the other group matches ought to be more UK-like.

I wonder if the lack of expectation of any success will actually help us a bit in this tournament? I just wish we had better defenders/central midfielders.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 1:07am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Sweden

I remember that I was at Bruce Springsteen concert in Stockholm and he announced that Sweden had beat England with 2-1 and that he wanted to play Glory Days. I also remember two Englishmen in the supermarket who would buy beer. One of them says: Look her fellow this is first class, we take that.
Class 1 is the beer that has the lowest alcoholic strength in Sweden. I did not say anything.

Didn't realise you guys had that system too. You can't buy a neljanen (IV) in a normal shop in Finland. You have to go to the state run Alko shop. And if you're a pish head, if you've got to go in there anyway you may as well buy a bottle of vodka or a koskenkorva as it's easier to carry enough to get you pished  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 1:08am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

Sounds great. Plockton isn't that far from Applecross. Well worth a visit.

You on commission Les?
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, June 14, 2018, 4:15am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Civvy at last

Well if we’re stretching that far I suppose I’ll be cheering on Greece as well then !!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

So if Russia attacked Turkey from behind would Greece help?

Oldie but goody - couldn't resist - taking coat as we speak :) ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 14, 2018, 1:42pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You on commission Les?

Not quite. I just think that it's a place that everyone needs to visit at least once in their lifetime.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, June 14, 2018, 2:27pm; Reply: 31
I do think we’ll get to the quarters this time, we’ll probably be against germany or brazil though
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 14, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 32

In the group there is a lot of tactical play. Teams are not so bothered about winning, just want to make sure they don't lose. We could struggle against Tunisia and certainly against Belgium if they decide to shut up shop. Even Panama might be a hurdle if results go against us. All it takes then is one mistake at the back and we've had it.

There is no player in this squad with the semblance of a football brain and the side plays in a one-dimensional way the whole time whether winning or losing. Finding their way through a sitting back deep midfield and defence is very hard for them and Tunisia will have done their homework.

Oddly enough I think that if we could manage to get past the group stage this side could do better in the KO stages than some we have had in the past. The games may suit them better too because unless opponents are playing for penalties they may be more likely to come out a bit and play which suits the England strengths. Even the favourite teams would be pleased to avoid the England runners in a one-off.

A lot depends on whether this striker coach Southgate has got can get goals out of Sterling because we can't just rely on Kane.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 14, 2018, 4:20pm; Reply: 33

A lot depends on whether this striker coach Southgate has got can get goals out of Sterling because we can't just rely on Kane.

Sterling will score goals all day long, no bother ...

just as long as he is playing with Silva, Aguero, Jesus, De Bruyne, Sane ... :o
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 3:33pm