Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Superdan147, June 12, 2018, 3:28pm
Really hope we are in for Charlie carter this summer. Spent the season with our new number 2 Anthony Limbrick at Woking and looks/sounds a real prospect. 21 year old attacking midfielder who came through their ranks and who scored 12 goals in 43 appearances for them in the national league last year. Their fans rate him highly and is currently out of contract although they’ve offered him another deal so compensation would be needed.

Looks good on the ball, strong, and obviously has an eye for goal. There is a lovely 6 minute video on YouTube showing his goals, assists and general good play. Certainly ticks the boxes in terms of the athletism and age MJ is keen on. Also seems a very level headed and intelligent lad listening to some of his interviews. Spoke highly of Limbrick in them. We desperately need a creative midfielder who can chip in with 10 or so goals. Really hope we can get him!
Posted by: fiveallive, June 12, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 1
Never heard of Charlie Carter he sounds a possibility the rumours are there that Whitehouse is joining I know Whitehouse is better player in a three man midfield.

There also rumours Summerfield is staying, then we have Rose, Clifton can play centrally, Jolley also likes Woolford to play Central aswell.

I know there only rumours about Summerfield staying and Whitehouse signing but if them players are in a town shirt next season, I don't know how many games Carter he would get.

But we need to look at goals from midfield someone like a Paul Groves who could get you 12 plus a season.
Posted by: WokingMariner, June 12, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 2
He was a crowd favourite at Kingfield last season, always gave 100%, if we can persuade him to move north he could be a good signing
Posted by: ginnywings, June 12, 2018, 4:42pm; Reply: 3
Get Carter!
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 12, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 4
I've seen posts on a general forum from Woking fans warning us to get our hands off Josh Staunton!
Posted by: Maringer, June 12, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 5
Another central midfielder? It's like Bignot all over again!  ;)
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, June 12, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin
I've seen posts on a general forum from Woking fans warning us to get our hands off Josh Staunton!

You should reply Les, tell them ok providing they keep their hands off Sam Kelly ;)
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 12, 2018, 5:16pm; Reply: 7
Signing promising players from Woking where one of our coaching team is well acqainted with the players capabilities and attitude is a logical way of ensuring you minimise the risk of signing players from non league.
Might even have signed one and left woolford go as Carter is a real midfield player rather than a winger who can cover. :)
Posted by: psgmariner, June 12, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 8
Working were relegated from the conference. I would be very surprised if they have players to help us league 2. Even more so if our ambition is greater than just staying up again.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 12, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 9
Oh and a lot of Woking fans blame our new assistant manager from their fall from 2nd to relegation. Fingers crossed he’s a better assistant than he is a manager.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 12, 2018, 5:34pm; Reply: 10
One of them also pointed out he got them from relegation contenders to 2nd spot in the first place.
Posted by: Saudimariner, June 12, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings
Get Carter!

Not a lot of people know about him!
Posted by: golfer, June 12, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin

With all this speculation we might as well call ourselves  " Woking Mariners"
Posted by: Garth, June 12, 2018, 7:41pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
Get Carter!

When the wind did not blow
and the ship would not go
They sent for Carter the farter
to starter her
Posted by: Meza, June 12, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 14
Seen Woking on BTSports a few times and Carter impressed me each time, strong, a bit pace, stamina and an eye for goal.  He looks like Barkley \ Duncan Edwards lol
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 12, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 15
Just watched his youtube highlights, looks a promising player, still rough round the endges but certainly looks like someone who could develop, might be worth a punt even if we loaned him out in the end to a conference side in his first season to get him more match experience.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 12, 2018, 11:46pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from psgmariner
Working were relegated from the conference. I would be very surprised if they have players to help us league 2. Even more so if our ambition is greater than just staying up again.

There were several ex conference players in the recent League 1 play off final.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 13, 2018, 7:08am; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There were several ex conference players in the recent League 1 play off final.

And they lost didn’t they but nether the less some will  become championship players  ‘shortly’
Posted by: Superdan147, June 13, 2018, 7:24am; Reply: 18
Just watched his youtube highlights, looks a promising player, still rough round the endges but certainly looks like someone who could develop, might be worth a punt even if we loaned him out in the end to a conference side in his first season to get him more match experience.

More match experience? He’s just played 43 times for Woking in the national league and scored 12 goals. He also featured in a number of games the season before and is 21. Harry Clifton has only played 9 games and will probably be an important player for us next year. I’d hope that Charlie would be ready to play after a decent pre season under his belt
Posted by: cannylad68, June 13, 2018, 8:17am; Reply: 19
The Get Carter film was from the book written by a school friend of mine at Barton Grammar School.
Posted by: WokingMariner, June 13, 2018, 9:22am; Reply: 20
Quoted from psgmariner

Woking were top 10 until about Xmas, they were as high as second at one point I think. They had a Town-like collapse. 4 relegation places means it is easy to get relegated from the NL.

Even relegated teams have good players.

I thought Chez Isaac was outstanding for Woking when they were doing well in the first half of the season. He really went downhill in the second half but he's another midfielder I'd keep an eye on.
Posted by: Mariner55, June 13, 2018, 10:05am; Reply: 21
Saw him a couple of times on TV and he looked impressive for the National League.  With 40+ games in one season at 20/21 and 12 goals he could well make in League 2.  He looks like the kind of young, eager player we need.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2018, 1:18am; Reply: 22
Quoted from cannylad68
The Get Carter film was from the book written by a school friend of mine at Barton Grammar School.

And GY was one of the options when they were deciding where to set the film.

Michael Caine saying 'canna paghk me cagh nerr the maghket?' would have been ace.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, June 14, 2018, 3:43am; Reply: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

And GY was one of the options when they were deciding where to set the film.

Michael Caine saying 'canna paghk me cagh nerr the maghket?' would have been ace.

The original book WAS set in GY, I believe.

His name was Ted Lewis, there's a book just been published about him recently.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 14, 2018, 5:13am; Reply: 24
I thought it was set in Scunthorpe
Posted by: cannylad68, June 14, 2018, 7:27am; Reply: 25
The book was set in Scunthorpe.

I met up with him in London after leaving school.

He decided to sell the book rights because he needed the money, not knowing what a success it would turn out to be.

In later years returned to Barton.

Died young.
Posted by: Croxton, June 14, 2018, 8:31am; Reply: 26
Something for me to chat about at the Barton Grammar School reunion in September! Problem is, the old scholars planning this event have booked a hotel for 12.00 o'clock on a Saturday. Could be a brief visit!
Posted by: rancido, June 15, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Superdan147
Really hope we are in for Charlie carter this summer. Spent the season with our new number 2 Anthony Limbrick at Woking and looks/sounds a real prospect. 21 year old attacking midfielder who came through their ranks and who scored 12 goals in 43 appearances for them in the national league last year. Their fans rate him highly and is currently out of contract although they’ve offered him another deal so compensation would be needed.

Looks good on the ball, strong, and obviously has an eye for goal. There is a lovely 6 minute video on YouTube showing his goals, assists and general good play. Certainly ticks the boxes in terms of the athletism and age MJ is keen on. Also seems a very level headed and intelligent lad listening to some of his interviews. Spoke highly of Limbrick in them. We desperately need a creative midfielder who can chip in with 10 or so goals. Really hope we can get him!

I may be missing something but if he is out of contract why would compensation be needed ?
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 15, 2018, 12:47pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from rancido

I may be missing something but if he is out of contract why would compensation be needed ?

Because of his age... Think its classed as compensation for his development.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 15, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from cannylad68
The book was set in Scunthorpe.

I met up with him in London after leaving school.

He decided to sell the book rights because he needed the money, not knowing what a success it would turn out to be.

In later years returned to Barton.

Died young.

Yes Scunny and where Jack dies is out at the gravel pits out past App Frod Steelworks. The pub outside the station (in the film Jack ask for a straight glass and stares down the locals) must be the Bridge Hotel - I expect its kicked off in there a few times with Town fans. Cracking film, I've watched it so many times I can quote most of the dialogue - kids think it's very strange, that and Tora Tora Tora (where I quote Japanese of course...)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2018, 5:51pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yes Scunny and where Jack dies is out at the gravel pits out past App Frod Steelworks. The pub outside the station (in the film Jack ask for a straight glass and stares down the locals) must be the Bridge Hotel - I expect its kicked off in there a few times with Town fans. Cracking film, I've watched it so many times I can quote most of the dialogue - kids think it's very strange, that and Tora Tora Tora (where I quote Japanese of course...)

Haven't seen that for about 40 years. Remember it as better than the usual Hollywood shite about WWII - like the more recent one where the Yank wins the Battle of Britain before going back home to give Yamamoto a kicking. Midway was good mind.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 20, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 31
Signed for Chesterfield for an undisclosed fee >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44553128 / https://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/2018/june/20180620-attacking-midfielder-signs/
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 20, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Superdan147

More match experience? He’s just played 43 times for Woking in the national league and scored 12 goals. He also featured in a number of games the season before and is 21. Harry Clifton has only played 9 games and will probably be an important player for us next year. I’d hope that Charlie would be ready to play after a decent pre season under his belt

Just because he's played 43 games and scored 12 goals doesn't mean he needs more match experience, some of his play looked rather amateur at times and wasn't making the best decisions. Look at Ross Barkley all the skill in the world but his decision making at times is beyond shocking and shows he needs more match experience and he plays in the Premiershite.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 20, 2018, 9:51pm; Reply: 33
“Good evening.

At lunchtime today, we signed an attacking midfield player with a very good goal ratio.

Charlie Carter is young, hungry, full of energy and he will improve and do well for our club.

I met him a few weeks ago at Wembley Stadium where I was watching the FA Trophy final. He's been up to Chesterfield to look round our stadium and he loved it all.

He's a proper bloke, a proper player and he's a good signing.

I told him this morning that there's over 1,500 season tickets sold now and he just laughed and said that he can't wait to play for Chesterfield!

Take care,

Martin“

These “announcements” never get boring but surely this guy is taking the urine now........This must be on purpose?
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 7:29am