Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: davmariner, June 8, 2018, 4:25pm
[tweet]1005065404480409600[/tweet]

[tweet]1005095594715746305[/tweet]
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 8, 2018, 4:34pm; Reply: 1
Brilliant!
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), June 8, 2018, 4:38pm; Reply: 2
This man is very special!! GTFC need to keep hold of him!! Not only rebuilding the Club but rebuilding some faith into the Community!!

These gestures go a long way and will sell a number of STs.

Good luck to this gentleman too. Hopefully a speedy recovery and you can be back on the terraces of BP soon!!

Gleaming Michael, Gleaming!!

UTM
Posted by: MarinerMart, June 8, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 3
been supporting town for 50 years.  this really is like a new beginning. not just on the pitch but off it. puts all the bad seasons in the past for me.  a new start without expecting too much in his first full season. no pressure from me for success Mr JolleyšŸ˜Š
Posted by: toontown, June 8, 2018, 4:57pm; Reply: 4
Well done MJ, lovely gesture, genuine bit of thoughtfulness there.
Posted by: Grumps, June 8, 2018, 5:08pm; Reply: 5
What a true gent. Well done Michael
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 8, 2018, 5:17pm; Reply: 6
Is he making a pitch for MP?  ;)

Nice one Michael.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, June 8, 2018, 5:21pm; Reply: 7
A nice gesture by MJ.

He should give lessons in PR to some of the others at GTFC. They could learn a lot form him. A class act.

I have to say the transformation in the club since he took charge is dramatic. Totally different feel about a place.
Posted by: mimma, June 8, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 8
Could someone please explain what it is he's done for those of us who don't do Twitter.

Thank you
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 8, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 9
Canā€™t applaud MJ enough. He certainly isnā€™t like other managers He personifies utter class, Iā€™ve never known a manager to come in and get the fans so on side. Itā€™s hard to think only a few months ago we were stuck in an almost impossible situation with a manager nobody liked or wanted. Iā€™ve not been this excited in a long time.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 8, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 10
Canā€™t applaud MJ enough. He certainly isnā€™t like other managers He personifies utter class, Iā€™ve never known a manager to come in and get the fans so on side. Itā€™s hard to think only a few months ago we were stuck in an almost impossible situation with a manager nobody liked or wanted. Iā€™ve not been this excited in a long time.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 8, 2018, 5:32pm; Reply: 11
Fair play to him - winning the hearts and minds of the supporters is huge!

I did get my hopes up though when I saw the title that it was announcement that he'd signed a new, and extended contract.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 8, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 12
Until he gets a promotion ( which wonā€™t be long ) I canā€™t see anybody coming in for him , then watch the vultures swarm. Today yet again just shows he gets what this club means to itā€™s community
Posted by: BackHeelTony, June 8, 2018, 5:52pm; Reply: 13
Good to see MJ now in charge of the club's PR!
Posted by: mrsd, June 8, 2018, 6:06pm; Reply: 14
Have to go back to Lawrie Mac to find a manager who got so involved with the community
Posted by: acko338, June 8, 2018, 6:20pm; Reply: 15
If he has gone through GTFC history and seen Lawrie's work he will know how much the fans love genuine interactiions.

Excellent PR - if this goes on to.persuade signings to come here, we could be in for a really good season !!
Posted by: hheh2, June 8, 2018, 7:13pm; Reply: 16
Michael Jolley's Black White Army!
Posted by: GTFC_85, June 8, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from mimma
Could someone please explain what it is he's done for those of us who don't do Twitter.

Thank you

Maybe you should get with the times. We don't live in the world of newspapers and phone boxes no more. Like our club we all need to accept that the world and communications are moving on.

Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 8, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 18
Micheal Jolley black and white army, is gathering monentum.

At this rate the first home game will be a sell out and hopefully for the rest of the season, cannot wait for the first away day of the season.

Robles mention in his interview about the fans, being loud and travel in their numbers, he will be amazed, when he witnesses it first hand.

Cannot remember the last time I was so excited about a new season.

Yes I am getting carried away at the moment, but thats the Jolley effect.

UTM

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 8, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from GTFC_85

Maybe you should get with the times. We don't live in the world of newspapers and phone boxes no more. Like our club we all need to accept that the world and communications are moving on.

Any need for that harsh response really??

So did that mean everybody must be on ALL social media platforms?

Perhaps some people don't want to live their life around Twitter and Instagram!

Maybe you should move with the times and talk to people like you would expect to spoken to yourself... Unless you're into people talking to you like a d**k!!!!!
Posted by: jock dock tower, June 8, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 20
It's hard to understand what makes one individual so different to another. The difference between Jolley and Slade is chalk and cheese (and light years) One oozed contempt for the fans whilst Mike just gets it - what it means to be a Town fan. He also knows he has to try and get folk back onside who said they'd never set foot in BP again, and boy is he showing them he means business.

Football's a fickle business though, and it all doesn't go well for him at the start of the season - for whatever reason - he's building up a huge stockpile of brownie points. Keep it up Mike, even from 250 miles away I feel your love! :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 8, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from GTFC_85

Luxury....we lived in a cardboard box in the middle of the road   :)

On a serious note well done MJ.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 8, 2018, 9:03pm; Reply: 22
Michael Jolley is obviously a nice guy, with the brains to go with it. He has a plan, the energy and the kudos to map out a road that will I am sure bring him and the club success. He knows how important fundamental things like good communications, respect for the paying customer and perhaps most importantly how big a part the club plays in peoples lives. A professional football club is often the heartbeat of the community and Michael Jolley, much to his credit gets that.

What I cannot understand for the life of me, is how the club has been quite unable to grasp these simple but crucial facts of life for so long. Compare and contrast the Boards behaviour at the infamous fans forum, to Michael Jolley's in dealing with the press, the fans and the players.

It seems as long as Michael Jolley is here, assuming things go reasonably well on the field, then the club will be invigorated, will be run in a courteous and professional manner, and I hope his influence permeates right throughout the club.

I am trying to put the Fenty years to the back of my mind, and like others am immensely looking forward to the new season. I just hope Mr. Fenty takes a back seat, right at the back, and let Michael Jolley get on with it. If Jolley can make us take off, the future will be a whole lot brighter.
Posted by: Grim up north, June 8, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 23
We've all gone from not renewing our season tickets in March to snapping them back up again this week. To keep us up was a miracle against teams with a need to beat us. I like the way he keeps the message simple and clear to the players and they looked fitter in the last month than I've seen in ages.Shankley and Laurie Mcmenemy went down in folklore here and this guy could be the best we've seen since the Kerr and Buckley years .... Christ knows we've been patient waiting for it to come.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 8, 2018, 9:22pm; Reply: 24
Can only echo what others have said about Michael Jolley. Really outstanding from him, the only fear I have is when he does well (not if) and moves on, will we be back to normal? Let's get him tied up on a long term deal, not now but when he is proven. Maybe Christmas time and keep the vultures away.
Posted by: Grim up north, June 8, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 25
When you look at the odds of a successfull manager being appointed I can only remember 4 good uns in nearly 40 years of following Town so I like JF's rolling contract. That said MJ has saved us from certain relegation and is the first person I can remember who is uniting this town both on and off the pitch in my lifetime. For that reason for me the guy deserves a decent contract in place as soon as reasonably practicable and I'm sure JF knows this too.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 8, 2018, 10:06pm; Reply: 26
Firstly I think heā€™s just a very legitimate guy with very good integrity, I sense his values around brining everyone together to move forward would be the same if he was working in a ā€œnormalā€ job as much as being manager of GTFC.

He has great PR but more importantly he backs it up with actions like visits to schools, working in the shop, quiz nights, todayā€™s bit on Twitter and more importantly just being friendly open & honest.

His football education has been partly at the Dyche school of building, I hope weā€™ll benefit from that for a long while yet.

My view ? He believes in GTFC as long as he does that Iā€™ll believe in him.
Posted by: GTFC_85, June 8, 2018, 10:52pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Any need for that harsh response really??

So did that mean everybody must be on ALL social media platforms?

Perhaps some people don't want to live their life around Twitter and Instagram!

Maybe you should move with the times and talk to people like you would expect to spoken to yourself... Unless you're into people talking to you like a d**k!!!!!

The point im making is whether you like it or not the world is digital and times have moved on. My tone was not meant to be rude. You calling me a d**ck was very constructive thank you.

It's the very fact that MJ is young and progressive is what we've been crying out for.

My response to the lady/gentleman was tending to criticism on the point that they were complaining MJ wouldn't visit them because they were not on Twitter...well how would he have known they were ill if not for social media?

Can't please everyone all of the time
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 8, 2018, 11:20pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from 75
Can only echo what others have said about Michael Jolley. Really outstanding from him, the only fear I have is when he does well (not if) and moves on, will we be back to normal? Let's get him tied up on a long term deal, not now but when he is proven. Maybe Christmas time and keep the vultures away.

What if its too late by then?

What if we go off the league by Xmas and he's poached  away by a club higher up because the compensation figure is low? Look at when Wrexham boss Dean Keates was snaffled up by Walsall.... Wrexham were flying high, looked nailed in for the playoffs and then went on a massive downward spiral when he left!

Conversely, I understand the club but wanting to risk giving him a long-term deal only for it to go wrong but its a risk with taking IMO.

Fir me, MJ is an absolute gem and it won't be long before other clubs see it too!
Posted by: LH, June 8, 2018, 11:23pm; Reply: 29
I was hoping he would announce his contract had been extended tonight at the Trust quiz but either it hasnā€™t happened, couldnā€™t hear it or barralad had read the statement incorrectly like he had the questions.   ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 8, 2018, 11:27pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

[/b]

What if its too late by then?

What if we go off the league by Xmas and he's poached  away by a club higher up because the compensation figure is low? Look at when Wrexham boss Dean Keates was snaffled up by Walsall.... Wrexham were flying high, looked nailed in for the playoffs and then went on a massive downward spiral when he left!

Conversely, I understand the club but wanting to risk giving him a long-term deal only for it to go wrong but its a risk with taking IMO.

Fir me, MJ is an absolute gem and it won't be long before other clubs see it too!

Let's just give Jolley a 3 year deal and if it doesn't work out we all agree JF isn't to blame this time if it all goes pear shaped.

Posted by: RonMariner, June 9, 2018, 10:05am; Reply: 31
A wonderful gesture.

Achieved a miracle last season. Making great signings this summer. Comes across as a really positive, honest and sincere bloke.

This guy really is something special.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 9, 2018, 10:24am; Reply: 32
My only worry at the moment is what happens if the team go through a bad patch?  How long before some fans start saying weā€™ve got an inexperienced manager, or that itā€™s ok to be nice but we need a manager who is tough etc.

I really hope the fans give Jolley time to build something - the signs are great so far!
Posted by: RoboCod, June 9, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 33

What I cannot understand for the life of me, is how the club has been quite unable to grasp these simple but crucial facts of life for so long. Compare and contrast the Boards behaviour at the infamous fans forum, to Michael Jolley's in dealing with the press, the fans and the players.

In a nutshell Lew. Very well put.
Posted by: Rick12, June 9, 2018, 10:34am; Reply: 34
Good on him
Posted by: Rick12, June 9, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 35
Quoted from LondonMariner43
My only worry at the moment is what happens if the team go through a bad patch?  How long before some fans start saying weā€™ve got an inexperienced manager, or that itā€™s ok to be nice but we need a manager who is tough etc.

I really hope the fans give Jolley time to build something - the signs are great so far!
Fair point.No manager is perfect and Iam sure he will make some mistakes.However early signs are that he will make more good choices than bad ones.

Posted by: grimsby pete, June 9, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 36
What a really nice man,

Well Michael if you are ever in Suffolk I am recovering from knee replacement surgery,

You will be most welcome to pop in for tea. 8)
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, June 9, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 37
I'm in good health but if Michael is ever in Prestwich I'll happily treat him to a few beers just to say thanks for starting to restore faith in our club after years of hurt and decline!
Posted by: Ipswin, June 9, 2018, 12:03pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I don't disagree but if the worst should happen and we are about to be relegated or worse we actually go down, do we really stick with him because he's a nice bloke who is trying to build something?

Surely going back down into non-league is a hanging offence isn't it, Slade was slaughtered for letting us get into the bottom six
Posted by: ska face, June 9, 2018, 12:09pm; Reply: 39
Jolley is currently setting the standard for ALL town employees in terms of effort and engagement. My only fear is that theyā€™re going to flog him to death (those DVDs ffs) without learning any real lessons, and when the time comes that heā€™s not flavour of the month anymore (it will happen - weā€™re obviously going to have a poor spell), the club will struggle to keep enthusiasm up.  
Posted by: barralad, June 9, 2018, 12:17pm; Reply: 40
A lot of you will already know but Michael entered a team in the Trust quiz last night. Up until he came forward we were struggling for entries. Once we knew he was up for it the event sold out in 8 hours. Contrast that effect with previous encumbents of the managers seat.
Oh and I'm biased but he contributed massively to a very good night.
Posted by: davmariner, June 9, 2018, 2:11pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from barralad
A lot of you will already know but Michael entered a team in the Trust quiz last night. Up until he came forward we were struggling for entries. Once we knew he was up for it the event sold out in 8 hours. Contrast that effect with previous encumbents of the managers seat.

Fantastic to hear. Thatā€™s exactly what you want from a manager. That willingness to go the extra mile.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 9, 2018, 4:48pm; Reply: 42
Definitely need a new song for this man, am sure someone will come up with something
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 9, 2018, 6:39pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from barralad

The difference between MJ and the last 2 managers is that he's doing what he talked about, he talks "community club" and the stuff like the quiz night etc.. just builds that kind of environment.

Long may it continue!
Posted by: moosey_club, June 9, 2018, 7:15pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Definitely need a new song for this man, am sure someone will come up with something

Just recycle the Leary,  2 Unlimited based chant

Michael...Michael Michael..Michael Michael Michael... Michael  .. Jolley

repeat to death

Posted by: 1542 (Guest), June 10, 2018, 7:40am; Reply: 45
I hope that the people of Grimsby reciprocate the respect that   Michael and his family have given so far to this Club, Town and Community. Over a period of time, he will soon become attached to this place and, despite the annoying 6 month rolling contract, he will find it very hard to detach himself from the Club, despite interest elsewhere.

Itā€™s no different from Macca, Shaun and Diz. All of these would have stayed with GTFC until they retired. That didnā€™t happen by chance, it happened because they immersed themselves into the community and became part of it. In the end, it was very difficult for them to leave, for them personally and for the fans.

I think that the difference with Michael Jolley is that he is an extremely intelligent man that understands the bigger picture. Of course he wants to be successful as a Football Manager but I honestly think he sees GTFC as a much bigger project than that. He wants to re-unite the whole community and Club and regenerate Grimsby through the focus of a Football Club. I would imagine that itā€™s very similar to Dyche at Burnley.

I hope that local businesses support him and his family in helping them settle in the area. That might be a car service, electrician, carpenter. I just hope that he is made to feel as welcome which will make it much harder for him to leave.

I think he will stay until heā€™s taken the Club as far as he can!!

Itā€™s the ā€˜Jolley Effectā€™ thatā€™s putting the buzz back around this place!!

In MJ we trust!!

UTM
Posted by: Maringer, June 10, 2018, 8:24am; Reply: 46
I think Jolley is proving himself a very smart cookie so far. You don't get many chances at making it as a football manager these days, especially if you don't have the reputation of a playing career to fall back on. He's obviously realised he needs to do all he can both on and off the pitch and is working hard to make a go of things at GTFC.

A good idea at a club such as ourselves which always does best when things are in tandem both on and off the pitch.

Hope his signings and the on-pitch stuff works out as well as the off-pitch PR has done so far.
Posted by: Mariner55, June 10, 2018, 12:04pm; Reply: 47
It's evident MJ 'gets' the importance and place of GTFC in the community of Grimsby, Cleethorpes etc.  I was wondering whether this has anything to do with the fact that he alluded in his initial interview that he had family in the Town and used to visit it as a youngster?  Does anyone know about MJ's Grimsby connection?  Could be significant.

Also, I assume he & his wife have now moved to the area?  Another important move.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 10, 2018, 1:16pm; Reply: 48
I suspect a large part of why MJ 'gets it' is because he's from Barnsley. He would have seen the wreckage that the loss of a dominant industry has on a town, and how the football club can help create a sense of positivity if handled correctly.

I'm pretty sure that, like the Dog's Testicles said, that the people of the town will make him and his family feel welcome.
Posted by: mariner91, June 15, 2018, 4:31pm; Reply: 49
[tweet]1007594596442963968[/tweet]

If he delivers on the pitch like he's suggested he might at the tail end of last season then he is our next McMenemy. We've got to back this man.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 50
More great work by Mr Jolley. Nice to see that.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:30am