Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 5, 2018, 12:33pm
Wants out

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/club-statement---siriki-dembele/
Posted by: Sigone, June 5, 2018, 12:33pm; Reply: 1
Never mind..max wright is better
Posted by: Cloudy, June 5, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 2
£1m + add one and he can go
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 5, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 3
Been coming in my opinion, see ya then!
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 5, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 4
Maybe he has been tapped up by his " dad "   Slade.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 5, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 5
Can't say I'm disappointed, you have to ask why he was overlooked and never picked up by a bigger team in the first instance, okay, so he could dribble with the ball, skin the odd player or 2 but never had any consistency woth his end product,....plus I will always question his so called "back injury" that kept him out....honestly think he believes he's better than he really is...Keanu Marsh Brown at veggie rovers had the same opinion of himself, look how it turned out for him!!...sorry, but if your hearts not in it to play for this club, well, don't let the door hit your ar$e on the way out...
Posted by: GYRanger, June 5, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 6
No great loss, no impact at all after first part of the season, i'm sure MJ will bring in better.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 5, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 7
Activate the clause and ask for a fee. No loyalty from him = none from us.

Edit. We already have.

I would have liked to see him play in a strong Town side. I still think he will do ok with the right club.

But as with other leavers. No major drama.  

Let’s see what others think he’s worth 💰💰
Posted by: psgmariner, June 5, 2018, 12:42pm; Reply: 8
Looked way too good for us at the start then think we dragged him down. Unquestionably a very talented footballer.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 5, 2018, 12:42pm; Reply: 9
Gave him his chance and copulated us off first oppurtunity. Good riddance
Posted by: Sigone, June 5, 2018, 12:42pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
sorry, but if your hearts not in it to play for this club, well, don't let the door hit your ar$e on the way out...

(thumbup1)
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 5, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 11
Was a good call triggering that extension clause in his contract. Hopefully whatever we get we can use it to add a couple of decent players. I’m not massively gutted to lose him, didn’t exactly set the world alight as much as I thought he would early doors but you can see he isn’t the finished product yet. Intriguing to see where he’s going.
Posted by: mariner91, June 5, 2018, 12:45pm; Reply: 12
Normally I'd be one for saying can't blame a player for wanting to further their career. However, it became apparent from his lack of effort after January that he wanted away, his body language was all wrong. And after we were the team that gave him a chance and took him off the footballing scrapheap. What a prick.
Posted by: GyMariner, June 5, 2018, 12:52pm; Reply: 13
The disappointing thing is that we’ll probably not get anywhere near the amount we could have got for him  :-/
Posted by: Cloudy, June 5, 2018, 12:52pm; Reply: 14
Didn't he say that his agent had said Premiership clubs were interested in him during the January window?
Clearly had his head turned.
He did have some inspirational flashes, at Chesterfield on the opening day and at Port Vale but they became fewer and fewer as the season went on.

I though Slade over played him tbh but if his attitude is biggy big balderdash then we get a bidding war going.
Would have preferred him to stay and learn the game though
Posted by: totalidiot, June 5, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 15
No surprise at all,has the potential to play a lot higher and hope he does tho needs to grow up a little and remember who pays his wages
Posted by: chaos33, June 5, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 16
Agree with Cloudy
Posted by: Chrisblor, June 5, 2018, 12:56pm; Reply: 17
Clubs figured him out after a few games. The lad has a load of tricks but no end product and is easily kicked out of games by more physical players. If anyone offers us more than £50k for him I'd bite their hand off.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 5, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 18
Bye then
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 5, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 19
Should get a reasonable amount for him that will help improve the squad overall. Good luck to him, especially if we get extras for  appearances, goals and decent sell on clause.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 5, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 20
At least we will the fee we want for him as he is under contract.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 5, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from GyMariner
The disappointing thing is that we’ll probably not get anywhere near the amount we could have got for him  :-/

Agree but we could get a hefty sell on clause in the contract.
Posted by: toontown, June 5, 2018, 1:04pm; Reply: 22
What cloudy said
Posted by: Ruston AT, June 5, 2018, 1:05pm; Reply: 23
Agree with most comments , for me he's got a lot to learn. Undoubtably he's got some talent re - pass selection and when to release the ball. So thanks Siriki we had half a season of excitement from you and hope you get a better offer and not in the conference.
Posted by: hheh2, June 5, 2018, 1:06pm; Reply: 24
Sell him on UTM
Posted by: psgmariner, June 5, 2018, 1:06pm; Reply: 25
Will be very interested to see where he ends up and how much we get for a young player with very limited experience who wants to leave.

I'm predicting not a lot and a league one club.
Posted by: hheh2, June 5, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 26
Would like to see him flourish at the higher levels but just needs to strengthen and progress in the final third and he will be deadly. For now we should cash in and find players suited for league two style.
Posted by: davmariner, June 5, 2018, 1:12pm; Reply: 27
See ya! No big loss and if we can get a bit of money for him then great. Too lightweight and not enough end product.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 5, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Chrisblor
Clubs figured him out after a few games. The lad has a load of tricks but no end product and is easily kicked out of games by more physical players. If anyone offers us more than £50k for him I'd bite their hand off.

Agree with this apart from the 50k bit... that's nothing these days, we want 6 figures
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 5, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 29
Shame that. Easily the most talented player in the squad. Will be on peanuts so i wonder had he been offered a longer more lucrative contract last season whether he would still be wanting away. He had a brilliant start to his Town career and his loss of form coincided with injury.

Expect him to get a move and end up in the top two tiers eventually.
Posted by: barralad, June 5, 2018, 1:20pm; Reply: 30
Understand where people are coming from but I'll be sorry to see him go. In a season where more often than not all the talk was about sh1te performances he gave us some great moments. The goal at Vale and the absolutely outrageous piece of skill for his assist at Barnet will stay long in the memory.
Good luck to the lad..
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 5, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 31
Let him go just because daddy Slade isn’t here anymore needs to get a grip, his eyes have seen 🤑🤑🤑🤑 we don’t need him
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 5, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 32
Bye then.
Posted by: Maringer, June 5, 2018, 1:31pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Expect him to get a move and end up in the top two tiers eventually.

I don't think he has anything like enough pace to play in the Premiership. Might just about make it in a good Championship team if he develops one hell of a lot as a player, he especially needs to improve his awful first touch as well as looking up a bit more when in possession and realising that a first time pass is often the best option.

Like others say, the way he dropped out of contention last season means that I'd barely thought about him for next season. I'd imagine we'll get a bit of cash with a hefty sell-on clause. I'd be amazed if he went to a club higher than League One.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 5, 2018, 1:34pm; Reply: 34
I think Dembele is a good player who has the potential to go very very far. His head was turned at some point and his 'injury' coincided with our catastrophic loss of form.

He might well end up flopping elsewhere or he could fulfill his potential. Would I rather we had 50k plus with a sell on fee to not have to take the risk? Absolutely, we want players who want to be here.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 5, 2018, 1:39pm; Reply: 35
Big shame. I was looking forward to seeing how he'd develop under Jolley. Seems a strange time to ask to leave though, you'd think he'd have done it going into January when his stock would've been much higher?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 5, 2018, 1:40pm; Reply: 36
He is like a lot of wingers these days, head down and run and usually no end product. When you have seen the likes of Brolly, Scott and Fell, Tony Ford,  Paul Emson ........ Unless he improves a lot he will not go far, potential has to be realised to be any good.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 5, 2018, 1:41pm; Reply: 37
Not much loyalty about in today’s footballing world unfortunately.

You pull a lad out who’s slipped through the net, give him games and a chance, and then once they’ve had that they want to leave.

Liked Dembele but, let’s be honest, he hardly set the world on fire, I’m afraid if that’s his attitude.... cya!
Posted by: mimma, June 5, 2018, 1:43pm; Reply: 38
Can't question his skill but can question his mental attitude to the game. Often he stop playing to throw a tantrum instead of getting on with the game. Has a lot to learn. Weather he can at a bigger club remains to be seen.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 5, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 39
Pity because he will improve with coaching and experience. 6 fgure fee (£100k ish) but a big sell on clause he can go. Good luck to him.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2018, 1:53pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Chrisblor

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: RonMariner, June 5, 2018, 1:53pm; Reply: 41
With a number of clubs expressing interest we should at least get a decent fee.

It's a shame, as I thought he had plenty of promise for Jolley to work on and develop.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 5, 2018, 1:55pm; Reply: 42
Would be gutted to see him leave really, the only player in the last couple of miserable seasons that could get me out of my seat and think something was going to happen .....
is he bigger than the club ?  of course not ...... if he doesn't want to be here should he go ? of course he should ...

if there are "several" teams looking at him then let a bidding war commence.....we dont have to sell him after all.........just make sure we have a whole bunch of watertight sell on clauses in there.
Posted by: Chrisblor, June 5, 2018, 1:57pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Agree with this apart from the 50k bit... that's nothing these days, we want 6 figures

Unlikely to happen with clubs knowing he only has 1 year left on his contract. They'd be free to offer him a deal for after next season from January anyway and any fee would be subject to a tribunal (and probably less than anything we could negotiate ourselves with a club during the transfer window this Summer)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 5, 2018, 2:03pm; Reply: 44
Very disappointed in the young man`s attitude with this towards the football club.I suspect the hand of an agent and sadly it`s the modern game to a tee.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 5, 2018, 2:04pm; Reply: 45
I feel I should be more disappointed by this than I actually am.

His interviews with Humberside before the Coventry game in March pretty much confirmed that he/his agents had ideas a bit of their stations so this request hasn't really come out the blue.

As a club we've every right to feel a bit cheesed off having pulled a player from the scrapheap and given him a platform to perform on.  However, this also another example of a mistake made in the operational running of the club.  Everything I've read/seen/heard leads to the belief that Dembele was on a very basic contract here, something that you would expect from a first-year professional.   However within a few weeks of the season starting Dembele was a mainstay of the side, probably one of the first names on the team-sheet in fact.  You can't expect to keep someone on a wage that suggests they're a fringe player (at best) and then pin the hopes of the team on them and then get miffed when they say they want to head elsewhere.

That's not about money being the main motivator, it's about rewarding appropriately.  Dembele didn't turn into a bad player overnight, he was overplayed and probably got drunk off being the lowest paid player in the changing room.  As a 21-year-old, no doubt with an agent in his ear promising the world, he's going to have his head turned when there's no offer on the table here.  He was outstanding those first ten games, that seems to have been forgotten.  I'm not sure teams figured him out as such, they just figured us out and realised by doubling up on him they nullified our attacking threat.  

Properly managed, properly rested, properly coached and properly rewarded could have seen Dembele a better and happier player.  We'll never know but we didn't really try did we!

I think Jolley would have brought his game on an awful lot and got him shining again.  But he doesn't to be here so there you go.  
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, June 5, 2018, 2:04pm; Reply: 46
Scunny £125k
Posted by: jock dock tower, June 5, 2018, 2:07pm; Reply: 47
No point in crying over spilt milk. Thanks for whatever you did in the black and white - or didn't do - but we move on. Get a fee and get one or two more committed types in, good business.
Posted by: ska face, June 5, 2018, 2:14pm; Reply: 48
To borrow a phrase from Joey Barton - Demebele’s the Justin Beiber of football. Great on youtube but cat urine in reality.

Don’t want to be too tight on a 21-year-old, but I’d want a bit more fight and desire from someone with his talent. There are players who would take a game by the scruff of the neck and drive a team on but Dembele absolutely melted from December. Plenty of tricks in his locker, none as impressive as the disappearing trick he managed after Christmas.
Posted by: darren9, June 5, 2018, 2:21pm; Reply: 49
Doubt we’ll get much of a fee. The player wants away and we haven’t developed him as a player. But any fee has to help with recruitment.

Despite him having the talent I echo most peoples sentiments that I’m not that bothered that he won’t be playing for us next season. He didn’t seem to have much end product and if he doesn’t want to be here then there’s no point in fighting it.

He can go and he’ll be replaced. I’d rather see max Wright progress in his position.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 5, 2018, 2:25pm; Reply: 50
Bet it will be undisclosed.
Posted by: Townee82, June 5, 2018, 2:30pm; Reply: 51
To lightweight , couldn't cope with a strong challenge and after all the trickery didn t have the speed to leave the opponent behind , but very entertaining to watch in spells .
Posted by: forza ivano, June 5, 2018, 2:34pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from diehardmariner

His interviews with Humberside before the Coventry game in March pretty much confirmed that he/his agents had ideas a bit of their stations so this request hasn't really come out the blue.

As a club we've every right to feel a bit cheesed off having pulled a player from the scrapheap and given him a platform to perform on.  However, this also another example of a mistake made in the operational running of the club.  Everything I've read/seen/heard leads to the belief that Dembele was on a very basic contract here, something that you would expect from a first-year professional.   However within a few weeks of the season starting Dembele was a mainstay of the side, probably one of the first names on the team-sheet in fact.  You can't expect to keep someone on a wage that suggests they're a fringe player (at best) and then pin the hopes of the team on them and then get miffed when they say they want to head elsewhere.

That's not about money being the main motivator, it's about rewarding appropriately.  Dembele didn't turn into a bad player overnight, he was overplayed and probably got drunk off being the lowest paid player in the changing room.  As a 21-year-old, no doubt with an agent in his ear promising the world, he's going to have his head turned when there's no offer on the table here.  He was outstanding those first ten games, that seems to have been forgotten.  I'm not sure teams figured him out as such, they just figured us out and realised by doubling up on him they nullified our attacking threat.  

Properly managed, properly rested, properly coached and properly rewarded could have seen Dembele a better and happier player.  We'll never know but we didn't really try did we!

I think Jolley would have brought his game on an awful lot and got him shining again.  But he doesn't to be here so there you go.  

Lot of good points in there.
Don't think I'd be too interested in staying around if I was regarded as one of the best players but was being paid little more than minimum wage.
Only played in half the games under jolley s regime so you do wonder as to how upset m j will be over losing him especially when he knows there will be a fee that he could use to good effect.
Couple of other points.if jolle y wasn't that fussed about him maybe we only offered the bare minimum in the new contract?
We don't know how happy dembel  is.minimum wage,pokey little flat in cleethorpes ,agent doing his job, finding you a better deal.you d be stupid not to go with it.He's 21 and only just got into the pro game.He's got to take every chance he gets. Might even be someone like motherwell, double the money, chance to play in cup finals, Europe etc. and be close to his family.
I suspect mj didn't really 'fancy' him. If we get a decent fee and add on clauses then I'd wish him the best of luck and thank him for the only bits of skill shown by any gtf c player in the last 12 months. Hope he makes a success of things
Posted by: LH, June 5, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 53
I wonder if we’ll see any more news today to complete the ‘bathtub’ effect? Start high, bring everyone down to a low before bringing it back up to a high again.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 5, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 54
The player from the first half of last season is one hell of a player and should go far. However he's not one for showing any fight when it's needed and hardly played a part in our improved form at the end of the season.

If he's had his head turned by his agent then so be it but the lad certainly needs to get his act together when things aren't going well.

At least we should get a half decent fee for him if he does move on with a decent sell on clause IF he does go on to fulfil his early potential.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 55

Any cheap Dembele Town shirts for sale on ebay yet ?   8)
Posted by: fiveallive, June 5, 2018, 2:46pm; Reply: 56
Good riddance to Dembele in his time here he never improved his finishing and could never cross a ball.

Best thing to do is get him out ASAP.

If we can get Ginnelly I think he is a better player anyway.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2018, 2:49pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from fiveallive
Good riddance to Dembele in his time here he never improved his finishing and could never cross a ball.

Best thing to do is get him out ASAP.

Ginnelly has signed for Walsall.

Posted by: RonMariner, June 5, 2018, 2:50pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from fiveallive

Afraid not. He signed for Walsall today.
Posted by: Rick12, June 5, 2018, 2:51pm; Reply: 59
Iam sorry to hear this but he is only protecting his own back.Club would do the same.

Thinks he can do better than us and get paid more which his undoubted ability has potential to do .

Good luck to him.

A joy to watch

Thanks Dembele
Posted by: fiveallive, June 5, 2018, 2:58pm; Reply: 60
Shame we have lost out on Ginnelly.
Posted by: Grim74, June 5, 2018, 3:01pm; Reply: 61
Ungrateful little shitester.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 5, 2018, 3:01pm; Reply: 62
Could it be connected to yesterday's arrival? Robles signed as more a winger than a centre forward and Dembele has been told he will have to compete for his place?
Posted by: forza ivano, June 5, 2018, 3:05pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Rick12
Iam sorry to hear this but he is only protecting his own back.Club would do the same.

Thinks he can do better than us and get paid more which his undoubted ability has potential to do .

Good luck to him.

A joy to watch

Thanks Dembele

Agreed. One last point .haven't seen too much condemnation of Davis on this board, who has basically done the same thing to st.mirren
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 5, 2018, 3:20pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from forza ivano

Agreed. One last point .haven't seen too much condemnation of Davis on this board, who has basically done the same thing to st.mirren

To a degree Forza - we were the first club to take a chance on Dembele, and whilst he was, on occasions, great to watch, he didn't show a lot of fighting spirit when we were going through the winless run.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 5, 2018, 3:23pm; Reply: 65
He's been a bit hit and miss here, but that's to be expected from a player of his age in his first season playing league football, but he definitely didn't fancy it after Xmas and was very disappointing. Think it's been obvious since the turn of the year that he didn't want to be here, so may as well get what we can for him now and move on. He will probably go elsewhere now and be annoyingly good.

Plenty more young players out there looking for a chance and hopefully our Max will make that spot his own next season.
Posted by: mariner91, June 5, 2018, 3:27pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from forza ivano

Not really the same thing at all. Helped them gain promotion and seems to have put in the effort required judging by how well regarded he appears to be by the St Mirren fans. Dembele hasn't done so since January and didn't really contribute at all to our run at the end of the season which ultimately saved us with plenty questioning his attitude.

Dembele is under contract still and has requested a transfer. Davis is out of contract and turned down a new one, not remotely similar circumstances. Plus St Mirren hadn't taken a chance on Davis when he was unproven, never had a contract and basically on the footballing scrapheap.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 5, 2018, 3:35pm; Reply: 67
I cannot see how some people think Max Wright will be a first team regular next season, when his successful season came in a league 4 below us in the football pyramid!  
Posted by: chaos33, June 5, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 68
Assumptions abound. Maybe it's personal reasons. We don't know. Bit harsh some people being a bit disrespectful. From our point of view, not at all irreplaceable as a very inconsistent if very technically talented player, but hey ho. Maybe he'll stay in the end. Maybe we'll get some dosh for him. Maybe we'll sign better....

Onwards......
Posted by: oldun, June 5, 2018, 3:51pm; Reply: 69
In the end if any player does not want to be here then providing we get appropriate compensation then it is better he moves on. I will remember some moments when he lit up the game and had people on their feet but for whatever reason he did not kick on after Christmas. I wish him well though.
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, June 5, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 70
No loss at all he offered nothing 90% of the time, only trying to beat the same mine twice before inevitably losing possession.  He will not last five minutes at a good team, because his technical ability and reading of the game lets him down badly.  No doubt we will continue picking up cast offs from other clubs in the transfer market, not quite sure where this feel good factor has come from either, we escaped relegation in a very poor standard league, yet are we all now filled with hope.  The bookies are seldom wrong, and they have us as basement dwellers again, and this will no doubt be fairly close to the truth.  I think Michael Jolley is a breath of fresh air to the club, bright, intelligent young manager, just what we need, but sadly I doubt very much if he will have the budget to make an impact next season.  A very good result for us next season in my opinion would be mid-table, we have no real ambition as a football club anymore, and anyone that things we have are sadly deluded.  The feel good factor always comes about when the club want people to purchase their season tickets, been there before.  Live in hope though.

UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, June 5, 2018, 3:58pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from 123614
I cannot see how some people think Max Wright will be a first team regular next season, when his successful season came in a league 4 below us in the football pyramid!  

I'm hoping rather than expecting him to be in the first team. However, he wouldn't have been given a 2 year deal if they didn't think he was up to it. He was clearly a stand out player at Scarborough, so he is probably ready for a step up. Whether the gap to League 2 is too much for him, we will find out in the coming seasons.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 5, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm hoping rather than expecting him to be in the first team. However, he wouldn't have been given a 2 year deal if they didn't think he was up to it. He was clearly a stand out player at Scarborough, so he is probably ready for a step up. Whether the gap to League 2 is too much for him, we will find out in the coming seasons.

I agree, but I think being a standout player in a league 4 below us in the pyramid doesn't carry much weight in League 2.  Some people on here are condemning players coming from the Conference, just below us, but because he's a Grimsby lad, they have no problems making him out to be a first team regular next season.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 5, 2018, 4:04pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from 123614

I agree, but I think being a standout player in a league 4 below us in the pyramid doesn't carry much weight in League 2.  Some people on here are condemning players coming from the Conference, just below us, but because he's a Grimsby lad, they have no problems making him out to be a first team regular next season.A step up is fine, but this would be 4 steps up.  :)

Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 5, 2018, 4:14pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from 123614

I agree, but I think being a standout player in a league 4 below us in the pyramid doesn't carry much weight in League 2.  Some people on here are condemning players coming from the Conference, just below us, but because he's a Grimsby lad, they have no problems making him out to be a first team regular next season.

It's sometimes about the attitude not the ability though. There have been many talented players at GTFC in the past decade that have not been up for the fight - strange how MJ played Harry Clifton out of his natural position ahead of Dembele at the back end of last season, don't you think?
Posted by: Ipswin, June 5, 2018, 4:16pm; Reply: 75
Promised much but in reality delivered little. I think his head was turned by his agent, rumours about Premier interest and by us fans thinking he was the Messiah and going a bit over the top about him

Div 1 I reckon, a Championship club might just take a chance on him given hes only 21 but I think he will be out on loan back in Div 2 by Christmas

50 - 70K plus sell ons will be tops I reckon. Any less we may as well leave him sat on his bottom at BP until January
Posted by: Bigdog, June 5, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from diehardmariner

Some good points Diehard. Also, in January we were offloading the most talented players at the club too. What sort of ambition does that show a young impressionable lad? Add in some of the antics of our board over the past year and there's going to be some consequences somewhere. I think his mind was made up a long time ago and his agent has been doing the best for Siriki when assessing the situation back then. Another one of our most talented players we can't hang onto? Or will he be making a big step up to the top of League One or the Championship? I hope he doesn't sign for a club that's not far above our standing, because if he did, it would reflect badly on us and questions would need to be answered.

Get a half decent six figure fee along with well thought out and concrete add-ons and hopefully MJ will be able to invest wisely in players that want to be here (unless JF wants his bit of "football fortune").
Posted by: newarkmariner, June 5, 2018, 4:53pm; Reply: 77
Shame really, i remember watching him in pre season and phoning my brother straight after the game raving about him and how he was the most exciting player id seen in years for Town, then the display at Chesterfield had me buzzing. The End ,well it may as well off been as apart from the odd flash he is a massive disappointment. He very rarely beats his man, very lightweight ,no end product and cant hit a cows bottom with a banjo and his second touch is usually a tackle, don't get me started on that bloody song,it should have been changed to "he always gives the ball away".
I honestly believe if he put the effort in he could have become a superb player for us, but that would have taken aptitude, passion and a will to be the best he could be and unfortunately non off those were in evidence so no tears from me, JOG ON DEMBELE
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 5, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's sometimes about the attitude not the ability though. There have been many talented players at GTFC in the past decade that have not been up for the fight - strange how MJ played Harry Clifton out of his natural position ahead of Dembele at the back end of last season, don't you think?

I thought that Dembele was injured towards the end of the season
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 5, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 79
If he wants out let him go his form dropped dramatically and a lot of it was down to attitude at his best a looked a lot better than league two. The bad side was his play acting and feigning injuries which at times was embarrassing also a total lack of interest when things were not going well. Did he really have that back problem??
Posted by: acko338, June 5, 2018, 5:21pm; Reply: 80
Get the best deal possible and move on - at least we should get a fee and need to seek add ons as well.
Posted by: quebec38, June 5, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 81
I would have liked to have kept him as I think he would have offered us something this coming season in what will hopefully a more confident side. However, I’m not overly fussed he is leaving and for a fee. He had nothing to do with our run at the end of the season. A player playing out of position kept him out of the side. For every time he put the ball through an opposition players legs, he lost the ball 10 times with a bad touch on the edge of the area. Undoubted skill but doesn’t haven’t the brain or mentality to match for me.
I won’t hold my breath expecting much of a fee. If we got anywhere near 100k I would be amazed.
Posted by: Garth, June 5, 2018, 5:35pm; Reply: 82
Good technically however runs into trouble rather than passing the ball when it was painfully obvious thats what was required.
He could develop into a more than useful player at this level or one above,  due to youth being on his side, but would need a manager with the patience of Jobe.
I hope we overstate his strengths to prospective clubs and get decent offers, best of luck for the future Dembele, the requirements of Town are more than brilliance in flashes of play.
Posted by: Perkins, June 5, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 83
He's not as good as he thinks he is, let him go. Yes, as a previous poster said " he gets us out of our seats" yes  he does for a few seconds  but  we are soon back on our ars*s  when he does nowt at the end of it.
Posted by: Cloudy, June 5, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 84
I think you could put together a good video of him to entice buyers.
Posted by: rancido, June 5, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from acko338
Get the best deal possible and move on - at least we should get a fee and need to seek add ons as well.

I would like the club to play "hard ball " on any negotiations. We've nothing to lose and if a club does want him then they will pay. I'm not saying " ask for silly money " but obviously MJ saw him as part of our future plans so we should see what happens.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, June 5, 2018, 6:17pm; Reply: 86
Bit disappointed all round with all this really.

The lad has talent and was one of the few who could get you put of your seat last season. Yes his form dipped a lot as the season wore on. In line with that of the team tbh. Reasons for this I am not sure but dont forget this was the young man's first season as a full time pro.  

I think some of the negativity aimed at him is unfair.

Disappointed we probably won't see how he could have worked with Jolley. Has his head been turned? Probably. People telling him he's better than what he actually is (at the moment anyway) He has a long way to go in terms of realising his potential.

Should he have shown more loyalty to the club that gave him his break in the professional game . Perhaps.

Loyalty? We all know there isnt any so we shouldnt be surprised. Disappointed yes. Surprised no.

Posted by: Pouton4ever, June 5, 2018, 6:36pm; Reply: 87
It speaks volumes that Jolley not just activated the extra year for Max Wright but offered him two, and did not do the same for Dembele... That suggests how highly he is rated....

"The club triggered a year extension to his contract at the end of the season however, manager Michael Jolley has put trust in the youngster and offered him a new deal. "
Posted by: Grimal, June 5, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 88
Doesn't want to be here, thinks he's better than what he is  and the money we get for him will help bring someone in that want's to play for the shirt. Bye bye.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 5, 2018, 7:08pm; Reply: 89
Agree with DHM, FI and others who have taken a wider view of it. Not a major loss, but I don't understand the level of bitterness that's crept in. Touch of the Jilted John syndrome.
Posted by: barrattstandman, June 5, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 90
Dembeles agent has been touting him around apparently at £100000 . Snap anyone's hand off for anything near that.
Posted by: Bigdog, June 5, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Agree with DHM, FI and others who have taken a wider view of it. Not a major loss, but I don't understand the level of bitterness that's crept in. Touch of the Jilted John syndrome.

I sadly have to agree KM. The general tone of this thread doesn't show some of our fans in a favourable light. A bit diaappointing really when no-one on here is privy to the actual facts of the situation.. Huge negative assumptions being made without a shred of evidence..
Posted by: golfer, June 5, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
If he wants out let him go his form dropped dramatically and a lot of it was down to attitude at his best a looked a lot better than league two. The bad side was his play acting and feigning injuries which at times was embarrassing also a total lack of interest when things were not going well. Did he really have that back problem??

FFS. I can't see how anybody could say he was feigning injury without knowing the facts.Every match I saw was him being kicked 10 feet in the air and not getting any protection-I don't think he would have to feign injury
Posted by: Rick12, June 5, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from forza ivano

Cant say Ive heard of him Forza.But when you see a player in the flesh you can tell if they have something.

Dembele certainly had that.I think it was Coventry first game at home season just gone.Within 5 minutes of a few touches I liked him instantly and thought he was quality .

Posted by: rancido, June 5, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Bigdog

I sadly have to agree KM. The general tone of this thread doesn't show some of our fans in a favourable light. A bit diaappointing really when no-one on here is privy to the actual facts of the situation.. Huge negative assumptions being made without a shred of evidence..

I don't know about assumptions but the evidence is as follows,

1/ Given a chance to play football at a league club under Russell Slade

2/ After a change of manager, he has his contract extended by a year.

3/ Decides, with a full year on his contract to run, to hand in a transfer request.

He has the chance of a full season to show the new manager what he can do but he wants out.
Posted by: lee65, June 5, 2018, 7:32pm; Reply: 95
Probably says more about a lot of what’s wrong with football these days, than about Dembele himself as a person.
We give a young lad a chance when he was going nowhere, he was exciting when we were clutching at straws for anything positive but not consistent, Agent in his ear, delusions of grandeur, and total lack of loyalty.

I have nothing against him personally, but **ck him if that’s the way it is, we will move forwards without him
Posted by: Rick12, June 5, 2018, 7:34pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Can't say I'm disappointed, you have to ask why he was overlooked and never picked up by a bigger team in the first instance, okay, so he could dribble with the ball, skin the odd player or 2 but never had any consistency woth his end product,....plus I will always question his so called "back injury" that kept him out....honestly think he believes he's better than he really is....
Didnt he have some championship clubs interested in him but due to concerns over a pre existing injury didnt want to take a risk on him?
Posted by: Skrill, June 5, 2018, 7:39pm; Reply: 97
You watch Dembele leave and become a gem of a player. Like how Jackson is now a league 1 player  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 5, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 98
Let him go, get the fee invest in players that want to play for us - Simple.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 5, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Skrill
You watch Dembele leave and become a gem of a player. Like how Jackson is now a league 1 player  ;)

If he doesn't want to be here, he wouldn't be much use to us anyway.
Posted by: lukeo, June 5, 2018, 7:54pm; Reply: 100
Close the door in your way out.
Its a shame as I enjoyed watching him first half of the season, love to see a bit of trickery. But never mind, would rather him go if he isn't interested in staying. Utm
Posted by: Bigdog, June 5, 2018, 7:58pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from rancido

I don't know about assumptions but the evidence is as follows,

1/ Given a chance to play football at a league club under Russell Slade

2/ After a change of manager, he has his contract extended by a year.

3/ Decides, with a full year on his contract to run, to hand in a transfer request.

He has the chance of a full season to show the new manager what he can do but he wants out.

There's so many missing factors in your assessment though. It's nowhere near the full picture..

Wage level offered in contract extension..

Wage levels and standard of football on offer elsewhere..

Happiness in living in the area..

Personal relationships within the GTFC set up..

99% of players are not fans of the football club they play for..

Their primary loyalty is to themselves and their family members..

Jesus, Macca wanted out just over a year ago and now he's a hero..

Players are people and not robots..

Just wish sometimes our fans would act with a bit more humanity and class..

Especially when we don't even know half the story..

Why can't we just say goodbye to players with our best wishes instead of sticking the boot in?

If we get a sizeable fee for him, he'll have done a decent job for us..
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 5, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from 139740[b
[/b]]Didn't he say that his agent had said Premiership clubs were interested in him during the January window? [b][/b]
Clearly had his head turned.
He did have some inspirational flashes, at Chesterfield on the opening day and at Port Vale but they became fewer and fewer as the season went on.

I though Slade over played him tbh but if his attitude is biggy big balderdash then we get a bidding war going.
Would have preferred him to stay and learn the game though

A few scouts came to watch him, they came and went, not impressed at all with him.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 5, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from Bigdog

There's so many missing factors in your assessment though. It's nowhere near the full picture..

Wage level offered in contract extension..

Wage levels and standard of football on offer elsewhere..

Happiness in living in the area..

Personal relationships within the GTFC set up..

99% of players are not fans of the football club they play for..

Their primary loyalty is to themselves and their family members..

Jesus, Macca wanted out just over a year ago and now he's a hero..

Players are people and not robots..

Just wish sometimes our fans would act with a bit more humanity and class..

Especially when we don't even know half the story..

Why can't we just say goodbye to players with our best wishes instead of sticking the boot in?

If we get a sizeable fee for him, he'll have done a decent job for us..

The story is simple. Untried player signs contract for a year and club puts in a clause giving it the right to exercise 2nd year. Club exercises right and player & his agent don't like it, even though they signed it in the first place.
Posted by: fleabag1970, June 5, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 104
Ducking hell . Joe waters ,  Kevin Moore ,  Clive mendonca all left . The club is still alive ....  let the little @@@# go
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 5, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 105
We sell him for £60,000

They sell him for £2 million,

We have 25% sell on clause,

So get another £500,000

Everybody is happy. 8)
Posted by: fleabag1970, June 5, 2018, 8:50pm; Reply: 106
If his name was siriki Smith  he wouldn't of been signed in the first place
Posted by: TAGG, June 5, 2018, 8:50pm; Reply: 107
Nevermind
No end product
See ye 👍
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 5, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 108
Bye bye dembele. Can we sell him to Lincoln and relieve them of some of their ill gotten gains from the checkatwat trophy ?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 5, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 109
I guess the Nike academy didn't teach him not to chase the cash at the first opportunity,

Like I said no great loss, bit like a Vauxhall Viva - rubbish in the cold. get what we can and give 100% of it to MJ to recruit wisely.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 5, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from grimsby pete
We sell him for £60,000

They sell him for £2 million,

We have 25% sell on clause,

So get another £500,000

Everybody is happy. 8)

Unless that fat illegitimate Barry Fry comes round to talk Fenty out of it or buy out the buy out for £50

Posted by: Grim up north, June 5, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 111
Would like to see what MJ could get out of Keanu Marsh Brown ,know he's gone off the rails but he was the best player on the pitch at Wembley for me.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I guess the Nike academy didn't teach him not to chase the cash at the first opportunity,

Like I said no great loss, bit like a Vauxhall Viva - rubbish in the cold. get what we can and give 100% of it to MJ to recruit wisely.

Didn't know they were any good in the warm, not like my Morris Marina   :)

On Dembele not a great loss for me....as others have said little end product for all the trickery.....cash in and move on.

Posted by: golfer, June 5, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 113
Why don't you all pick on somebody your own size
Posted by: mariner91, June 5, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Grim up north
Would like to see what MJ could get out of Keanu Marsh Brown ,know he's gone off the rails but he was the best player on the pitch at Wembley for me.

He scored a great goal but did pretty much naff all else. Nolan ran the game that day, comfortably better than Marsh-Brown.
Posted by: Grim up north, June 5, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 115
All about opinion ,.Nolan was one of the best midfielders we've had here in years and had a great game at Wembley but for me Marsh Brown was quality .Mustve seen him in his best game as he's done little since but if any managers going to get something out of a player then MJ seems to have it"
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 5, 2018, 11:26pm; Reply: 116
One of the few bright sparks in a very dreary season.

If he has the chance to play at a higher level and/or get some extra income then fair enough. Has an awful lot of work to do if he is going to play regularly at a level higher than this one but good luck to him.
Posted by: mimma, June 6, 2018, 12:44am; Reply: 117
Wonder if Dembele has had / trying to get, a move up to the Glasgow area to be near his brother.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 11:02am