Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HotToddy, June 1, 2018, 3:41pm
Looks like we are going on tour again. That's my hols sorted then  :)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 1, 2018, 3:43pm; Reply: 1
Devon trips are a good omen for a positive season aren’t they?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 1, 2018, 3:47pm; Reply: 2
Who says? Where? I've got to go there on business in July!!
Posted by: ska face, June 1, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from HotToddy
Looks like we are going on tour again. That's my hols sorted then  :)

You got a holiday home down there John?

It’s a shite tour if we’re being realistic, the club embarassed themselves down there a few years ago with Newell and it’s as far away from GY as possible without giving the fans a chance of a decent trip.

Still, when have the old boys network ever given a toss about the fans?
Posted by: moosey_club, June 1, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 4
Had a good laugh on the old Errea sponsored tournament, tent got wrecked one night in a howling storm and slept in the car,  found a remote B&B for the last couple of nights recommended by the clubs then coach driver,  and after getting through to the final against Luton turned up at the ground to find out it had been called off as Town had left Devon the night before following serious safety concerns for Newell !!
It was certainly memorable....one of the standouts for me on that tour was a young triallist who stood out but wasnt judged to have met the standard....Nathan Arnold !!!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 1, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from ska face

It’s a shite tour if we’re being realistic, the club embarassed themselves down there a few years ago with Newell and it’s as far away from GY as possible without giving the fans a chance of a decent trip.

Genuine question.... Why did we embarrass ourselves?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 1, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Genuine question.... Why did we embarrass ourselves?

I got the impression it was because we came up with some sort of excuse about safety in order to get out of the final of the mini tour league in Devon and go back and play Scunthorpe for more potential cash. I may be completely wrong but that's what I thought was the issue.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 1, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 7

"Pre season in Devon"

Am I missing something or has this actually been announced ?
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 1, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 8
Yeah why don’t they do a tour to Elsham?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 1, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

I got the impression it was because we came up with some sort of excuse about safety in order to get out of the final of the mini tour league in Devon and go back and play Scunthorpe for more potential cash. I may be completely wrong but that's what I thought was the issue.

Wasn't it Luton?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 1, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 10
the mini tour final was Luton but I thought we avoided that and went back to play Scunthorpe.

yeah just bothered to look at good old cod almighty and we won all our games in the errea cup and then flipped off back to lose against Scunthorpe in the lincs cup.

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=season

I'd forgotten about Barnstaple....recently visited there already three sheets to the wind but still thought it was a bit of a dive.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 1, 2018, 10:53pm; Reply: 11
the mini tour final was Luton but I thought we avoided that and went back to play Scunthorpe.

yeah just bothered to look at good old cod almighty and we won all our games in the errea cup and then flipped off back to lose against Scunthorpe in the lincs cup.

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=season

I'd forgotten about Barnstaple....recently visited there already three sheets to the wind but still thought it was a bit of a dive.

Stayed in Barnstaple too mate about 2 months ago. Agree very disappointed with it, though the hotel (park hotel) was pretty damn good. The other place we thought was shite was ilfracombe.

Does make me laugh that ar5eholes in the south think you are mad when ordering haddock
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 1, 2018, 11:08pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Stayed in Barnstaple too mate about 2 months ago. Agree very disappointed with it, though the hotel (park hotel) was pretty damn good. The other place we thought was shite was ilfracombe.

Does make me laugh that ar5eholes in the south think you are mad when ordering haddock

I did the Tarka ale trail starting from Yeomath (had done the Exeter pubs the night before, both great pubs) which was flipping awful for a pub crawl. The first pub in Yeomath was actually alright and I'd happily go back...but it's a request stop on the train. Then the next two stops we couldn't get to because the trains would only stop there about twice a day...which left the pubs of Barnstaple....which, pardon my francaise...were shiiiite. The Reform Inn brewery was a disgrace.

https://greatscenicrailways.co.uk/great-days-out/rail-ale-trails/tarka-line-rail-ale-trail/
Posted by: lukeo, June 2, 2018, 8:16am; Reply: 13
If you go to the right places north Devon is great for holidays, beach days out etc.. But regards Barnstaple I agree it isn't anything special.. Although I have to defend illfracombe as I've had a few days out their and a couple of sun holidays and enjoyed it every time.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 2, 2018, 9:12am; Reply: 14
Quoted from ska face

I love a good old positive post on the fishy 😊
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 2, 2018, 7:56pm; Reply: 15

I did the Tarka ale trail starting from Yeomath (had done the Exeter pubs the night before, both great pubs) which was flipping awful for a pub crawl. The first pub in Yeomath was actually alright and I'd happily go back...but it's a request stop on the train. Then the next two stops we couldn't get to because the trains would only stop there about twice a day...which left the pubs of Barnstaple....which, pardon my francaise...were shiiiite. The Reform Inn brewery was a disgrace.

https://greatscenicrailways.co.uk/great-days-out/rail-ale-trails/tarka-line-rail-ale-trail/

Work for a beer company so, may have to use it as an excuse to visit!
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, June 2, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Work for a beer company so, may have to use it as an excuse to visit!

BBQ at yours pre match with free beers?

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 2, 2018, 11:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

BBQ at yours pre match with free beers?

Always welcome mate. Hell of a trek though lol
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 3, 2018, 9:32am; Reply: 18
Was it in the pre season Devon tour, that one of the Grimsby town staff, got very drunk and ran down the corridors of the team hotel, naked, setting of fire alarms, with a sausage where the sun don’t shine ?
Posted by: rancido, June 3, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 19
South Devon is a beautiful area. I had a pub down there many years ago in a village called Stoke Gabriel just outside Paignton. Great times !!!
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 3, 2018, 2:08pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from somersetmariner
Was it in the pre season Devon tour, that one of the Grimsby town staff, got very drunk and ran down the corridors of the team hotel, naked, setting of fire alarms, with a sausage where the sun don’t shine ?

So jonnyboy did fulfill his promise after all!!

Didn’t know he worked for the club though 😊
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 3, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 21
Still have nightmares about getting through Barnstaple when going to or from Woolacombe Bay, took absolutely ages and the lovely little darlings in the back asking every 2 minutes "are we there yet?"
Posted by: davmariner, June 3, 2018, 2:56pm; Reply: 22
So... any evidence that this is actually happening?
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:17am