Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WesternMariner, May 31, 2018, 3:06pm
Much as I dislike twatter in principle I see rent a gob Collymore is on there suggesting some ulterior motive as to why Town didn't give the managers job to old big head Sol. I'm offended at even the veiled suggestion that we would take against Sol for any other reason than he's an arrogant sharp object rather than because of his BAME background.
And whilst I'm on it Stan, Stan the dogging man best known for his recipe for battered swede can keep his opinions to himself cos I for one don't want to know what he thinks.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 31, 2018, 3:08pm; Reply: 1
You just had to look at Sol Campbells Englands selection for the World Cup to see why no one wants to appoint the bloke
Posted by: chaos33, May 31, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 2
Not the first time he's expressed ill thought out racism related tosh is it. Perhaps he didn't notice that we recently employed mixed race Marcus Bignot. If he wants to allege that Grimsby Town are inherently racist, then he'll need to raise his game and get ready to have his position dismantled.

Half of me thinks that so called celebritiy self publicists like Collymore deliberately post controversial, provocative guff to feed their need for attention whilst their 'stardom' fades.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 31, 2018, 5:05pm; Reply: 3
Sounds to me like he is trying to be the Katie Hopkins of football.

I shudder just typing that name!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 31, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 4
His tweets on the matter are really horrific the more I read them. Hundreds have people have challenged him but he just doubles down on it. His arguments are all over the place but ultimately he's accusing the club and the board of racism.

It's disgraceful.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 31, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 5
Just think where we would be now if we had appointed him instead of Jolley,
Posted by: RonMariner, May 31, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just think where we would be now if we had appointed him instead of Jolley,

The Conference.
Posted by: Caesar, May 31, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 7
In his post he highlights Gerrard and Lampard getting bigger jobs with less qualifications and to that extent he has a point. I would rather criticise their appointments though than Campbell missing out. He didn't get our job cos he wanted any old job and thought it would be 'easy' with no real idea of the history of our club or what it means to us. Tell me any business this day that would hire you for anything but the lowliest job if you just went in saying it would be easy and you would do any job? Let alone one that is as emotive and important as managing a football club.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 31, 2018, 5:48pm; Reply: 8
Does he even know that we employed Marcus Bignot in 2016? I think we are still in the minority of clubs having appointed a black manager. So how on earth cane he hint at racism?

Fake news.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 31, 2018, 5:49pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from RonMariner

The Conference.

That's the right answer Ron (thumbup)
Posted by: buckstown, May 31, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 10
Maybe he's auditioning for a job on Talksport. Spout some indefensible rubbish then sit back while idiots pay 13p a minute to ring up and disagree with them.
Posted by: Grantley, May 31, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 11
Didn’t Campbell say that he’d gladly be interviewed if we got in contact with his agent? Not exactly much desire there, was there? Sol’s problem is that he wants to walk straight into a cushy Championship+ job, not slum it in the lower leagues. The main reason he doesn’t get picked is because he’s an idiot.
Posted by: Grimal, May 31, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 12
Can't accuse Town of being racist, we employed Slade and he's from another planet. ;)
Posted by: LH, May 31, 2018, 6:21pm; Reply: 13
He’s already on Talksport. Will be interesting to see how the club respond as I’d say there’s grounds for legal action over the implied accusation of racism.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 31, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Grimal
Can't accuse Town of being racist, we employed Slade and he's from another planet. ;)

Uranus?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2018, 7:20pm; Reply: 15
The pair of them are full of sh1t
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 31, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 16
Personally stopped listening to talk sport two years ago, as apart from Hawksby and Jacobs they are just a bunch of opiniated idiots who just want to rile the audience so they ring in and make money.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, May 31, 2018, 7:26pm; Reply: 17
There was a time when accusations of racism were met with a sympathetic ear and would automatically receive support. However, people are now sick to the back teeth of uninformed idiots like Collymore chucking the race card around like confetti when it’s totally inappropriate.

And I agree - I think the club should take legal action against him for this disgraceful slur. It’s high time this nonsense was stamped out.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 31, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 18
Don’t have twatter. Is it just us the woman beater is complaining about ?
Posted by: Meza, May 31, 2018, 7:41pm; Reply: 19
[tweet]1002139273620000768[/tweet]

Thing is that post is so open for different interpretations, to me he is just stating the obvious that Sol isn't very good at interviews.  ;D
Posted by: Grimal, May 31, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from RonMariner

Uranus?

No ,not mine.... ;)

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2018, 7:56pm; Reply: 21
The fact we appointed Bignot would make Collymore’s insinuation a bit stupid really.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 31, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 22
I assume my fiver on Collymore being the new assistant manager is down the shitter then.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 31, 2018, 8:26pm; Reply: 23
This sort of idiocy does a lot of harm to a worthy cause. Globally I think there is probably an issue with ethnic minorities getting management jobs but if a excrement candidate who is a crank doesn’t get a job and he happens to be black it’s sod all to do with his skin colour.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 31, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Meza
[tweet]1002139273620000768[/tweet]

Thing is that post is so open for different interpretations, to me he is just stating the obvious that Sol isn't very good at interviews.  ;D

I don’t think that ‘Sol’ himself actually does interviews. It’s one of his ‘people’.

I think I’ll send my son for my next job interview. He speaks far more eloquently than me.

Then if I don’t get the job I’ll get some self opinionated, woman beating pundit to say it was ageism !!
Posted by: moosey_club, May 31, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
His tweets on the matter are really horrific the more I read them. Hundreds have people have challenged him but he just doubles down on it. His arguments are all over the place but ultimately he's accusing the club and the board of racism.

It's disgraceful

what a d1ck..everyone knows its the fans that are racist not the board ...do your homework Stan FFS.  :P
Posted by: RexFannies, May 31, 2018, 10:48pm; Reply: 26
Seems to me he can't get any job. Especially the one's he hasn't actually applied for. They didn't approach me either...are they Baldist.

actually Slade is the baldist
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2018, 10:57pm; Reply: 27
Collymore is a d1ck, with a massive chip on his shoulder.
Posted by: pen penfras, June 1, 2018, 7:03am; Reply: 28
If you're talking about that tweet that Meza posted, then no chance the club can take any legal action. It doesn't say anything other than Campbell couldn't get the Grimsby Town job. In reality, we can all between the lines and infer that he means it's because of the colour of his skin.

The thing that confuses me is, why Grimsby in particular? Has Sol only applied for one job? Why were Gerrard and Lampard picked ahead of him when they all have zero experience and Sol has the best credentials. The headline should read:

Campbell
UEFA Pro Licence (Gold standard). Illustrious playing career.

Can't get a job.
Posted by: buckstown, June 1, 2018, 8:32am; Reply: 29
I think he was bleating about his lack of opportunity when the interviewer asked him if he'd applied for the job. He replied that he'd be interested because he couldn't say it was too low down. They then contacted JF to create a story that didn't exist.
He wants to walk into a championship job, and was never really interested in coming here
Posted by: Maringer, June 1, 2018, 9:14am; Reply: 30
Which is fine, because we didn't really want him here either! It's rare to find such an experienced and decorated player and yet have pretty much nobody with anything nice to say about him.

As for Collymore, my guess is that he doesn't have the faintest clue that we employed Bignot (if he even knows who Bignot is). I don't think he's making a specific dig at GTFC per se, but his whole argument is somewhat defeated by his reference to us considering Bignot's recent employment by the club.

I think Campbell needs to develop an appreciation of the fact that most people think he's a bit of a male private so he needs to show (or pretend) a bit of humility if he wants to get a job in management.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 1, 2018, 9:47am; Reply: 31
Let`s be honest IF Sol really wanted the Town job he would have got it.

The reason I say that he would have come to the interview prepared and would have done his homework prior to the interview on the football club.He may well have been a success he may well have been a failure and his skin colour had nothing to do with him not getting the Town job.The bloke never wanted the job but kind of dug himself in a hole where he had to apply his ego suggests he should have got the Arsenal job. :-/
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 1, 2018, 10:01am; Reply: 32
If Collymore's foot could have hit a football as accurately as it keeps finding his mouth, he would have been a worldbeater.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, June 1, 2018, 10:12am; Reply: 33
Collymore is an utter helmet and always has been.

Proper degenerate.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 1, 2018, 10:40am; Reply: 34
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Let`s be honest IF Sol really wanted the Town job he would have got it.

The reason I say that he would have come to the interview prepared and would have done his homework prior to the interview on the football club.He may well have been a success he may well have been a failure and his skin colour had nothing to do with him not getting the Town job.The bloke never wanted the job but kind of dug himself in a hole where he had to apply his ego suggests he should have got the Arsenal job. :-/

I can see your logic there Micky but I think even our non-chairman had learned a lesson from the Newell debacle about big name appointments. He was not even going to get involved in interviews with anyone like Campbell. In fact it would not surprise me if JF was secretly quite pleased Phil Brown turned us down too for much the same reasons.

Posted by: Meza, June 1, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 35
I also think Stan has used incorrect wording but could be down to terminology.

For example he says "cant get grimsby town job" when it should be "didnt get tbe grimsby town job" in fact why refetence town at all.  Lol
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 6:57am