Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 30, 2018, 4:54am
Centre half on his way in, watch this space !
Posted by: 11MARINER11, May 30, 2018, 5:28am; Reply: 1
I was told this also .
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 30, 2018, 6:18am; Reply: 2
From Burnley.

Looks like Wikipedia is ahead of us:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Whitmore
Posted by: Davec, May 30, 2018, 6:34am; Reply: 3
Found a small thread on the Bury forum about him when he left them for Chesterfield and opinion seems to be split on him, some reckoned he would be a decent league 1 centre back when experienced, whereas some reckoned he would never make it above national league level.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 30, 2018, 7:02am; Reply: 4
Jolley did say in his radio interview that he had been talking with Jack Lester ...”about another matter not Assistant Manager role” so seems to fit.

Not sure if he played against town in recent game but did not stand out either for good or bad reasons if he did. Remember Morecambe having Big centre half with short hair who was given pretty torrid time by Jackson on the day but clearly someone MJ knows.

In all honesty you can never really judge a player on seeing them play the odd game as all players have nightmare games and worldys so will just have to wait and see, good age if nothing else!!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 30, 2018, 7:10am; Reply: 5
Ooh, he played for the famous Wallsend Boys Club (like Shearer, Carrick and Widdrington)

I've no idea if this chap is any good, but seeing as MJ  is signing him, he's probably (or will become) ace!
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 30, 2018, 7:36am; Reply: 6
Well someone’s already changed his wiki page, so nailed on then 😆
Posted by: Superdan147, May 30, 2018, 7:42am; Reply: 7
MJ obviously knows him very well having worked with him at Burnley. 22 year old and A big strong centre half with a little bit of pace and also pretty comfortable with both feet by all accounts. Big strength is that he’s supposed to be very good in the air. He’s had a number of loan spells, did well at both chester and Gateshead in the national league which in turn got him a loan spell at Morecambe in league two last year and did well there. That got him a loan spell at league one bury. Fans seem quite split about his Time there in truth. Joined chesterfield in January this year. majority of there fans said he’s done ok for them. Hopefully in a better team, with some real experience next to him in danny Collins and playing under a manager he knows and likes, he can be a real asset. He’s certainly got the attributes and the pedigree to be a real asset.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 30, 2018, 7:51am; Reply: 8
I'm sure hes on a 2 year deal with chesterfield. Does that mean a few is involved? If so mj must really rate him, if he's managed to persuade fent y to pay out some £££££!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 30, 2018, 7:58am; Reply: 9
Quoted from forza ivano
I'm sure hes on a 2 year deal with chesterfield. Does that mean a few is involved? If so mj must really rate him, if he's managed to persuade fent y to pay out some £££££!

Chesterfield have cut their playing budget massively so perhaps just glad to get rid of him
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 30, 2018, 8:03am; Reply: 10
As they clearly know each other from their time in burnley and I beleive in mj’s ability to get the best out of players im happy with this signing, hopefully get some more soon too
Posted by: supertown, May 30, 2018, 8:05am; Reply: 11
He could have a leaving clause in his contract due to their relegation
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 30, 2018, 8:06am; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano

With him opting to join them instead of a League One side, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a clause written in that he's free to go if they were relegated.  

Besides, he's not North London based so Martin Allen won't be interested in him...
Posted by: moosey_club, May 30, 2018, 8:07am; Reply: 13
Chesterfield press release anticipated ..

"Today we have released a young lanky player"
Posted by: Teesknees, May 30, 2018, 8:29am; Reply: 14
Quoted from supertown
He could have a leaving clause in his contract due to their relegation

If he signed around Christmas time that might be the Santa Clause!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 30, 2018, 8:36am; Reply: 15
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Chesterfield have cut their playing budget massively so perhaps just glad to get rid of him

They need to get rid so that Martin Allen can continue building his Barnet team there!
Posted by: Mariner56, May 30, 2018, 8:42am; Reply: 16
He was selected for Football League Team of the Week after his performance against us when playing for Morecambe in Feb 2017

https://morecambe.vitalfootball.co.uk/whitmore-in-team-of-the-week-28-2-17/
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2018, 8:48am; Reply: 17
The plus point is that young central defenders do tend to have a lot of room to develop (and early 20s is still young for the position). If he's got the physical attributes required, he'll hopefully be able to learn the rest if he does join us. You'd think that somebody with the experience of Collins would have a lot to pass on to a young defender.

Let's not forget that all we need at the moment is a decent League 2 defender. Whether or not he's capable of playing at League 1 or higher is irrelevant if he can do the job in our division.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 30, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 18
It's also very hard to judge a young player when they've only had short spells at predominantly struggling clubs (football league wise). With a full pre season and a coach he knows, he'll hopefully prove to be a good signing.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 30, 2018, 9:45am; Reply: 19
Good morning all.

This morning I’ve had meetings with most of the players and next week I’ll have more meetings with players who are currently on holiday.

The following players are under contract but I’m happy for them to find new clubs with our help and no fees will be required. They are:

Marshall Willock
Jordan Sinnott
Chris O’Grady
Joe Anyon
Jak McCourt
Ricky German
Alex Whitmore

Martin

confirmed by chesterfield's nutter in chief that no fee's involved. look's like mj has moved quickly once he's known that whitmore's available. mostly positive comments on spirerites board about the lad
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 30, 2018, 9:51am; Reply: 20
Marshall Willock might be worth a punt and would be cheap. 18 year old towering defender signed from Solihull last summer.

Certainly got the physical attributes at 6ft4.
Posted by: cannylad68, May 30, 2018, 12:22pm; Reply: 21
It's quite amazing that in the past every player signed from a relegated club has been slated by all the Fishy contingent, and I can quote at least half a dozen, yet because M.J. is on honeymoon, the latest relegated player to be signed is now a great signing.

Amazing.

Red crosses on the way.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 30, 2018, 12:34pm; Reply: 22
Having looked at the highlights of our home game against Chesterfield he didn't do much wrong and I think it was him off the pitch injured when the penno was given.
Posted by: sam gy, May 30, 2018, 12:36pm; Reply: 23
I don't buy the notion that a player from a relegated team should forever be tarnished. Especially when they're this young!
Posted by: mariner91, May 30, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 24
Very much depends on the player. Podge got relegated out of this league but we know he's good enough. Berrett got relegated out of this league and did nothing in two years for us. Let's wait and see how he turns out, I trust MJ's judgement.
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 30, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 25
Whitmore only played 15 games. Chesterfield were in already deep in relegation trouble when he signed.
At 22 and with Jolleys coaching could prove to be a smart acquisition especially if Collins signs and plays alongside him
Posted by: davmariner, May 30, 2018, 1:25pm; Reply: 26
Well thought of at Morecambe (he was there on loan) and they were disappointed that he didn’t go back to them last summer. Seems a decent player and more of a victim of being at clubs in difficult circumstances (Bury and Chesterfield).
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 5:19am