Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 29, 2018, 2:19pm
Been in and renewed season tickets this morning and took advantage of the opportunity to meet MJ. Above anything else, he has a charisma about him - affable, likeable, not afraid to have a joke about budgets etc. Excellent piece of PR by whoever came up with the idea - and it wasn't on the pitch!
Posted by: mrsd, May 29, 2018, 2:21pm; Reply: 1
He was certainly on top form, and quite efficient too ⚫️⚪️⚽️
Posted by: rancido, May 29, 2018, 2:45pm; Reply: 2
I, too ,renewed my ST today and got to meet MJ. Completely agree with the previous posters on how approachable and friendly he was. He asked where I sat, signed my ST, thanked me for my support and shook my hand. PR at it's best and maybe, just maybe, the higher echelons at the club are starting to realise you have to have the fans on board, not just as " bums on seats " but made to feel important and part of the club.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2018, 3:06pm; Reply: 3
nothing to do with PR,  JF added "working in the shop & ticket office during close season" to his job description  ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 29, 2018, 3:07pm; Reply: 4
I have never met him but I like him,

In fact I like him a lot and hopes he stays a long time.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 29, 2018, 3:19pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have never met him but I like him,

In fact I like him a lot and hopes he stays a long time.

I think I'm in love :-)
Posted by: mariner83, May 29, 2018, 3:25pm; Reply: 6
Wasn't able to go today due to work, but did meet him at the Trust evening and echo what previous posters have said.
Posted by: mariner91, May 29, 2018, 3:26pm; Reply: 7
Never met him either but there's something about him that is instantly likable. I think we stumbled across him more by accident than design but I think we may have a real gem on our hands.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 29, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from RonMariner

I think I'm in love :-)

Me too  (wub2)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 29, 2018, 3:47pm; Reply: 9
Met M.J. at his first home game shook his hand and wished him luck. I joked you will need it here lol.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 29, 2018, 3:49pm; Reply: 10
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/a5/47/96a547c12190f9b5e869c0a80adce8aa.jpg[/img] SLADE

[img]https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/859268416.jpg?w=620&h=491&crop=1[/img] JOLLEY

Posted by: mariner83, May 29, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 11
mmmm cheese (wub)
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 29, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 12
Wasn't it a post by someone on here quite a while before he became manager when his name first became known.

Maybe JF was right when he said that The Fishy runs the club (or something along those lines).
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 29, 2018, 4:13pm; Reply: 13
It’s great to see things like this. Small positive gestures that have a huge impact. If he can get a decent side together he could really get something going.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, May 29, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 14
There's a refreshing honesty about Jolley. He may well go onto bigger things but for now he genuinely seems happy to be here and appreciate the opportunity Grimsby have given him to manage in England.

He has got the fans back onside. We all want him to succeed.

He changed things around in a short space of time when it was beginning to look dire. He has restored some pride in the club.

Players talk highly of him and quickly bought into what he wanted to do. He has fresh ideas. He got more out of players than the previous regime did.

With some new signings and a pre-season to work with the players I am certainly hopeful next season will be better and a bit more entertaining.

UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 29, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from RoboCod
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/a5/47/96a547c12190f9b5e869c0a80adce8aa.jpg[/img] SLADE

[img]https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/859268416.jpg?w=620&h=491&crop=1[/img] JOLLEY

Is this board turning into the Grim Exile?
Posted by: RoboCod, May 29, 2018, 9:36pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner

[img]https://www.cheeseconnoisseur.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Malachi_0000_DSC_0199.jpg[/img] The Fishy

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/PremiumSaltines.jpg/220px-PremiumSaltines.jpg[/img] Grim Exile Outlook

(blush)
Posted by: devon mariner, May 29, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 17
Reminds me of the days of Lawrie McMenemy who loved being out in the community along with the players
Posted by: chaos33, May 29, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Grim outlook you mean?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 29, 2018, 11:44pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33

Grim outlook you mean?

Premature senior moment.

Actually, it was a nod to the sterling work of Forza Ivano many years ago.  ;)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 30, 2018, 4:18am; Reply: 20
Great feature on Look North last night about season tickets Mike Jolley really has been like a whirlwind in all aspects at GTFC. You can even see that Humberside is liking this new manager.  

I know this love in won't last forever but we can enjoy it whilst it does.

Honest John, please don't feck this one up and I thank you for signing him he could be the best you have ever signed.

He's the best thing that as happened to GTFC on and off the field in a long, long time.

UTM.
Posted by: Garth, May 30, 2018, 4:29am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Great feature on Look North last night about season tickets Mike Jolley really has been like a whirlwind in all aspects at GTFC. You can even see that Humberside is liking this new manager.  

I know this love in won't last forever but we can enjoy it whilst it does.

Honest John, please don't feck this one up and I thank you for signing him he could be the best you have ever signed.

He's the best thing that as happened to GTFC on and off the field in a long, long time.

UTM.

Steady on Mrs, we've won nowt yet.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 30, 2018, 8:01am; Reply: 22
Love stuff like this and it`s made my mind up to get another ST.This guy`s gold dust were going up.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 30, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 23
No pressure on him then?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 30, 2018, 12:00pm; Reply: 24
When Laurie MacMenemy  took over we had an average attendance of just over 4,000,

He took it to over 11,000 in his first season,

Well MJ can not do that but if we are near the top of the league I can see a few  SOLD OUT  games coming up.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 30, 2018, 12:26pm; Reply: 25
I'm not trying to downplay what MJ has done when I say this, but it's a relatively small gesture that goes a long way, i.e. it doesn't take much to give up a few hours of your time to meet the fans.

It was a low-key, everyday thing to do, and fans appreciate it. Makes it feel like he's on our level - not above - and shows he's making a true, genuine effort to be on our side, and to get to know us.

So if/when he hits a rough patch, and the team struggles a bit, the fans will probably afford him more time because they know he's doing his best and gives it his all.

As soon as Slade hit a bad patch we just wanted him to go as he never looked like he was here to make the fans happy. It was just another job to him, and the fans, the media, etc just got in the way.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 31, 2018, 12:08pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm not trying to downplay what MJ has done when I say this, but it's a relatively small gesture that goes a long way, i.e. it doesn't take much to give up a few hours of your time to meet the fans.

It was a low-key, everyday thing to do, and fans appreciate it. Makes it feel like he's on our level - not above - and shows he's making a true, genuine effort to be on our side, and to get to know us.

So if/when he hits a rough patch, and the team struggles a bit, the fans will probably afford him more time because they know he's doing his best and gives it his all.

As soon as Slade hit a bad patch we just wanted him to go as he never looked like he was here to make the fans happy. It was just another job to him, and the fans, the media, etc just got in the way.

Spot on Rich and he is committed to moving here by hook or crook the Club have once again got a bit of momentum they must fully maximise this and small gestures like this go a long way with us.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 12:28am