Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 28, 2018, 8:25pm

The season officially finished this afternoon after Coventry defeated Exeter at Wembley.

What was your most memorable moment this season ?

For me...after the fear of returning to the tinpot it has to be Matt's injury time winner against Notts County that secured our safety.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

The season officially finished this afternoon after Coventry defeated Exeter at Wembley.

What was your most memorable moment this season ?

For me...after the fear of returning to the tinpot it has to be Matt's injury time winner against Notts County that secured our safety.

Thread closed.  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 28, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ginnywings

Thread closed.  ;)

Agreed.....end of thread   :)

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 28, 2018, 8:42pm; Reply: 3

Slade getting the sack   ::)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 4
Seriously though, there wasn't a right lot to choose from was there?
Posted by: chaos33, May 28, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 5
When Russell Slade said, quite indignantly,  'I'm trying to build you something here'.
Posted by: mariner83, May 28, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 6
Opening game was pretty good, mind you I didn't know Chesterfield were going to be so excrement...

So I'll go for Matt's winner against County.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 28, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 7
The game against Derby in august which was abandoned. Ive never known rain like that
Posted by: lukeo, May 28, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 8
Cheltenham away for me
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 28, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 9
The fans Forum, it made me TRULY realised how much of a excrement state the club is in and that a change is needed ASAP.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 28, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 10
I'd go with JL on that. Matt's goal may have been the happiest moment, but the FF was the most memorable. Anyway, I'm going to go away and SHUT UP!
Posted by: Poojah, May 28, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
The fans Forum, it made me TRULY realised how much of a excrement state the club is in and that a change is needed ASAP.

A seminal moment for sure. I was just about with Slade until that night, but not after.

He would only win one more game in the four months that followed, virtually ending his football league career in the process, so read into that what you will what the players made of it.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 28, 2018, 9:34pm; Reply: 12
The Fans Forum was toe curling, especially when you compare it to the night MJ hosted thanks to the Trust. For me, the game at home to Swindon was the most entertaining of the season although Coventry at home was entertaining for all the wrong reasons (McKeown being rounded 30 yards out from that awful free kick).

Some of McKeown's saves have been memorable and his performance v Port Vale earned him a 3 year deal alone.

Due to the meaning of it and how we had just conceded at the death, Jamille Matt heading in from a corner at home to Notts County guaranteeing survival wins by some distance.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 28, 2018, 9:36pm; Reply: 13
On the pitch, it has to be Matt's goal, off the pitch, got to be Slade's Powerpoint  ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, May 28, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 14
It wasn't a great season for a lot of reasons - a chronic lack of goals, a 20-game winless run, *that* fans' forum, the debacle at Stevenage, Derbyshire Police misinforming the public about our away fans' behaviour, the fighting with the Vale fans, the Fenty comments recorded in the back of a car, his argument with fans at Forest Green, the SLO thing...

It's a miracle that we're not non-league today. Matt's injury-time winner was by far the best moment of the season, on or off the pitch, while Jolley's appointment was probably the most important moment of the season.

Let's forget about 2017/18 now. The only way is forwards.
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, May 28, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 15
Jolley appointed
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 28, 2018, 10:50pm; Reply: 16
Suprised its not the penalty against chesterfield for anyone else, that was the turning point, so late in the game, the pressure on rose was insane, dont think our other results wouldve turned out the same way without it
Posted by: RonMariner, May 28, 2018, 11:43pm; Reply: 17
Matt's goal was the highlight of the last two seasons.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 29, 2018, 6:23am; Reply: 18
Matt’s injury time winning goal which secured us a league 2 place for next season, amazing really especially with Barnet winning that day too, brilliant!
Posted by: mariner83, May 29, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 19
Suprised its not the penalty against chesterfield for anyone else, that was the turning point, so late in the game, the pressure on rose was insane, dont think our other results wouldve turned out the same way without it

You could say the pen save against Vale & getting a late equaliser.  When we conceded I don't think our heads dropped like they would have done previously.  
Posted by: TAGG, May 29, 2018, 7:46am; Reply: 20
The sacking of Slade (eventually)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 29, 2018, 8:06am; Reply: 21
There were so many key moments late in the season but for me it was Rose’s penalty v Barnet to make it 2-2. I felt if Barnet won we would have gone down. Huge relief.
Posted by: Vance Warner, May 29, 2018, 9:29am; Reply: 22
Rose's penalty v Chesterfield. Ended one of the worst runs in our history. Before that game I was convinced we were going down, after I was confident we'd be ok.
Posted by: Kris2, May 29, 2018, 10:25am; Reply: 23
The FF I guess. JF was a man once again that is so concerned with being right that he can't see what the fans have seen all along. GTFC is a mess from top to bottom and changes needed to be made, but JF has to decide that for himself not because the fans say so dammit! So this whole scene played out where Fenty,Slade and some random hireling started belittling and patronising the fanbase. You would normally talk like that when you have some solid evidence to show for it, but they just glossed over everything that was wrong and told the fans they were being stupid and need to shut up.

Nobody is ever going to apologise for all of that or admit they were wrong. Fenty wasn't wrong, you were wrong. Fenty is the hero who bought in the right man to keep us up. Or so the view of the trust and the fishy is. These wouldn't exist without the graces of our great leader.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 29, 2018, 10:28am; Reply: 24
Chesterfield away it all went downhill from that point.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 29, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 25
Fans Forum.  

Arguably the worst moment as a Town fan.  

Relegation, play-off failure, hammerings by local rivals...all pale in significance to the moment when the stewards of the club you love tell you publicly to shut up.  What turned out to to be a low-key, if somewhat cringe worthy in places (Slade doing PowerPoint to a radio audience and Fenty boasting about how much his motor cost) became a shambles and probably the moment I came closest to turning my back on the club altogether.

I only caught snippets on the radio of the original broadcast but then watched it in full on YouTube a couple of days afterwards.  I was ashamed of how Fenty and Slade rounded on Matt Dean like a pack of schoolboy bullies, I was angry at the way Marley addressed the fans who dared to question anything but overall I was dejected to the point of questioning why I even bothered with the club anymore.

The fallout was huge and whilst Fenty will no doubt try to claim otherwise, it impacted on the players.  Their performances and indeed body language afterwards were reflected in the results.  Up until that point we were doing ok, probably kidding ourselves we would get in the play-offs but few had eyes on the bottom two at that stage.  

The positive from it was that it united the fans (in the large) against the current set-up and people began to say enough was enough.  
Posted by: Abdul19, May 29, 2018, 1:04pm; Reply: 26
Coventry away because Sean McAllister was playing.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 29, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from mariner83

You could say the pen save against Vale & getting a late equaliser.  When we conceded I don't think our heads dropped like they would have done previously.  

Indeed. With the late equalisers against Vale and Barnet, and the late winners against Chesterfield and Notts, it is clear that Jolley instilled a positive attitude to keep going to the end.

I wonder also if his improved fitness regime was also a factor in the later games?  
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 29, 2018, 4:55pm; Reply: 28
The mental block i have making me forget the whole season.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 1:02pm