Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cloudy, May 23, 2018, 8:23pm
Listened to Ben's interview with Matt Dean on RH tonight.

Obviously dissapointed to be released but looking to play on for a year or two. Plans to stay in the area as family are settled.
Seemed genuinely impressed with MJ and thinks with the right signings Town will do well
Posted by: Youngy, May 23, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 1
Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Chesterfield, played under Allen at Notts County, wouldn't need to move and can more then do a job at that level.
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, May 23, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 2
What would Allen’s write up be to that

He’s nearly forty but not at all faulty. He’s started losing his hair but still has flair

He will be good although I would rather be in the national league than from Grimsby
Posted by: Skrill, May 23, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 3
Quality football league player, pleasure to have seen him serve our club. Wish him all the best.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 23, 2018, 9:24pm; Reply: 4
Been a great pro at Town. Not for one moment has he given less than his all and I wish him well. He must train in the morning then is usually in the same gym I go to on the weights, he's done all he can to keep Father time in check but he catches us all I'm afraid.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 23, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC
What would Allen’s write up be to that

Dear fans,

Today we have signed Ben Davies.

Ben is very old but goes through opposition players like the TransPennine Express.

Take care,

Martin
Posted by: chaos33, May 23, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 6
Great pro I reckon. Would do a fine utility job for a promotion challenging conference club I'd say. Thinking fairly local, would be a great signing for someone like Harrogate, as would Paddy McLaughlin, although he could well go to Vale.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 23, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 7
Lincoln ?  

They need a bigger squad.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 23, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 8
Anyone got a link please?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 23, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Dear fans,

Today we have signed Ben Davies.

Ben is very old but goes through opposition players like the TransPennine Express.

Take care,

Martin

That slow?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 23, 2018, 11:33pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from forza ivano
Anyone got a link please?
Link >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p066mvdg

37 minutes 37 seconds in for Ben Davies part.

Posted by: toontown, May 24, 2018, 7:54am; Reply: 11
Definitely a good pro, versatile and I would think if we didn't hav Collins might have got another year? Would do a good job at national league level I would think.
Posted by: Maringer, May 24, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 12
He did OK for us, but obviously not the player he was during his younger years and I think releasing him was the right option. If we're going to have a back up player, you might as well have a younger one who is (theoretically at least) less likely to pick up niggling injuries.

On the age front, I think that central defenders can last a bit longer than full-backs as they aren't expected to get up and down the pitch so much. I do wonder, however, how well Collins will be able to keep his fitness up if he's not an automatic first choice next season (which I assume will be the case). Players can go on a long time if they are playing regularly, but paradoxically, too much rest might be a problem. You can only train so hard and getting proper match fitness isn't possible when sitting on the bench.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 24, 2018, 10:45am; Reply: 13
Taking his badges so looking to go into management in the future.

He might be back in a few years you never know.

Good luck to him whatever he does.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 24, 2018, 10:45am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Maringer
He did OK for us, but obviously not the player he was during his younger years and I think releasing him was the right option. If we're going to have a back up player, you might as well have a younger one who is (theoretically at least) less likely to pick up niggling injuries.

On the age front, I think that central defenders can last a bit longer than full-backs as they aren't expected to get up and down the pitch so much. I do wonder, however, how well Collins will be able to keep his fitness up if he's not an automatic first choice next season (which I assume will be the case). Players can go on a long time if they are playing regularly, but paradoxically, too much rest might be a problem. You can only train so hard and getting proper match fitness isn't possible when sitting on the bench.

I suspect that because of his pedigree and background that Collins will be one of the higher earners in which case if he has been offered another contract I would think M.J. sees him as first choice and maybe even as captain, depending on what signings we make. I agree that central defenders can last longer ie futch. It is all about how they keep themselves and how professional they are. From what people say Collins ticks that box as a model professional.
Posted by: Maringer, May 24, 2018, 12:18pm; Reply: 15
If he is a first choice, no doubt that we need somebody a bit quicker and more athletic alongside him. Another Toto-ish player would fit the bill, if we can find one.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 24, 2018, 4:34pm; Reply: 16
mention been made by several posters that clements was a v high earner , and no doubt was a fact which played a part in the decision. i also wonder whether this may have been a factor with davies. good player, v. calm  but is getting on and can't believe he wasn't on a decent whack. jolley gets rid of 2 big earners; 1 hadn't played anyway and the other with a very limited shelf life, so frees up a large amount of cash to bring in 2, 3 or even 4 new faces
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 2:00pm