Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: barralad, May 16, 2018, 4:15pm
Ray Wilson, left back in England's 1966 World Cup winning side has died aged 83.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 16, 2018, 5:02pm; Reply: 1
A sad loss. He was given his break by Bill Shankly at Huddersfield and I remember he was different to the usual full back, he could play football as well as flatten wingers. ;) RIP Ray. Not many of the old lads left now.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 16, 2018, 5:04pm; Reply: 2
A legend of English football RIP
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 16, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 3
His son was based in RAF near Lincoln and played for our Saturday and Sunday league teams. Took us back to Huddersfield for a friendly which Ray came to watch and joined us in the pub afterwards, lovely chap.

As for football remember Ray playing at town first game of a season for Oldham we won 4-1 on a boiling hot day. RIP
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 16, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 4
Another great gone  RIP Ray you were one of the best.
Posted by: Townee82, May 16, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 5
Boys of 66 a special breed doubt i will see their like in my lifetime , the current bunch are over paid mummy boys who couldn't live with the Ray Wilsons , Nobby Stiles , Chopper Harris and Norman Hunters of them days RIP Ray .
Posted by: Cloudy, May 16, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 6
A sad loss. He was given his break by Bill Shankly at Huddersfield and I remember he was different to the usual full back, he could play football as well as flatten wingers. ;) RIP Ray. Not many of the old lads left now.

Heard the story today that when Ray left Huddersfield both Everton and Liverpool wanted to sign him.

Ray chose Everton and after he signed Bill Shankley phoned him to tell him that he only wanted to sign him for the reserves!

RIP Ray Wilson-a prototype for the attacking full back
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 17, 2018, 5:34pm; Reply: 7
A few years after Martin Peters retired from football,

He was driving round East Anglia selling car warranty insurance.

A bit of difference to  the overpaid under achievers playing today.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 17, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete
A few years after Martin Peters retired from football,

He was driving round East Anglia selling car warranty insurance.

A bit of difference to  the overpaid under achievers playing today.

Indeed. Didn't one or two of the team end up having to sell their winners medal to raise some cash?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 21, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from RonMariner

Indeed. Didn't one or two of the team end up having to sell their winners medal to raise some cash?

I read somewhere not that long ago that only 3 of the team still had their medals ( or had been kept in the family that is )
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 21, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from RonMariner

Ray Wilson did sell his some time ago but he said the reason was that he could not split it between his children so it was better to have the cash. Maybe that applies to more than just Ray? I don't know.

Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 9:40pm