Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), May 15, 2018, 6:21pm
JT mentioned on Twitter that ‘Macca thought to be very close to re-signing’......It all appears to have gone really quiet over, what seemed to be like a done deal!

I hope Hurst isn’t in for him with Dean Henderson looking Villa bound!!

Hopefully I’m just being a little impatient!!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 15, 2018, 6:34pm; Reply: 1
If I was him, at 28 and with GTFC allowing his contract to expire, I would look to move on and earn as much money as possible at a genuinely ambitious club. He owes us nothing, he has improved this season as he enters his prime years as a goalkeeper. I hope he stays but I wouldn;t begrudge him a good move.
Posted by: Mariner16, May 15, 2018, 6:57pm; Reply: 2
Footballers are entitled to a holiday with their families after the seasons finished?
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 15, 2018, 7:21pm; Reply: 3
Equally we haven’t heard any rumours of him going elsewhere though have we? All the players are either in play off games or on holid, it’s always like this at the start of windows.
Posted by: chaos33, May 15, 2018, 7:42pm; Reply: 4
Jeez, how long has he got to make his mind up? 10 minutes?!

He owes nobody. Let him have a break and weigh up his options. It's not his fault that tweet happy modern hacks spout any old tosh they hear on the grapevine (or infer from the crumbs the clubs throw them).
Posted by: rancido, May 15, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 5
All very, very quiet on all the contracts front plus no new players announced yet - what the f*ck is Jolley playing at !!!! ;)
Posted by: lukeo, May 15, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 6
We can all speculate and in reality it boils down to 3 main things :
Money. Family. Ambition.

If he's offered 1k a week here and 1.2k to play on Scotland, chances are he'd stay here as although it's slightly more he's more settled here. Saying that, ambition wise he'd get to play at a couple of big clubs and even have an outside chance to play in Europe.
If he's offered more than double he is here, it's a no brainer unless his family really are fully committed and settled here.
Posted by: codcheeky, May 15, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 7
I've heard he has been offered substantially more and a longer contract elsewhere and has thrown the ball back in GTFCs court to see if they are willing to come close to matching it.  We will see how highly we value him but on the evidence of recent players of the season I would be surprised to see him here next season
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 15, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from lukeo
We can all speculate and in reality it boils down to 3 main things :
Money. Family. Ambition.

And I can sum it all up in just one word: courage, dedication, daring, pride, pluck, spirit, grit, mettle, and G-U-T-S, *guts*.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 15, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 9
If he can double or more his wages then we can not compete with that,

Macca might not want to move so a decent pay rise and a 3 year deal might swing it for us.

If he goes we can not blame him can we ?
Posted by: TAGG, May 15, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 10
May be he's on holiday with his family to relax 👍
What's the panic??
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 15, 2018, 10:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from rancido
All very, very quiet on all the contracts front plus no new players announced yet - what the f*ck is Jolley playing at !!!! ;)

According to Radio Humberside tonight all those players offered another contract have been given a set time to sign them.

We also are reported to have offered a new player a contract.

As regards players being on holiday that is a bit of a red herring as in this day and age I would suggest that all players have agents and it is they that are doing the talking.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

And I can sum it all up in just one word: courage, dedication, daring, pride, pluck, spirit, grit, mettle, and G-U-T-S, *guts*.

Sisu.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from chaos33
Jeez, how long has he got to make his mind up? 10 minutes?!

He owes nobody. Let him have a break and weigh up his options. It's not his fault that tweet happy modern hacks spout any old tosh they hear on the grapevine (or infer from the crumbs the clubs throw them).

It's about trust.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 16, 2018, 6:30am; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

According to Radio Humberside tonight all those players offered another contract have been given a set time to sign them.

As regards players being on holiday that is a bit of a red herring as in this day and age I would suggest that all players have agents and it is they that are doing the talking.

Wow, that's real cutting edge journalism - how revolutionary
Posted by: chaos33, May 16, 2018, 6:47am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Great Steve McCrosky/Airplane quote  :)
Posted by: forza ivano, May 16, 2018, 9:37am; Reply: 16
Quoted from arryarryarry

i wonder whether the new player might be Will Annan as someone previously mentioned. Don't normally do twitter ,but there's been a lot of re-tweets about gtfc stuff in the last 6 weeks or so (nothing before) from him.Thta coincidentally, was about the time he was released by Ull . also seems to be mates with harry cardwell
Posted by: golfer, May 16, 2018, 10:15am; Reply: 17
I don't think we would sign him on what he has actually done-maybe loan but then he would be on show for somebody else to step in like Townsend. Not 100% convinced but I am normally wrong.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 16, 2018, 10:49am; Reply: 18
Quoted from golfer
I don't think we would sign him on what he has actually done-maybe loan but then he would be on show for somebody else to step in like Townsend. Not 100% convinced but I am normally wrong.

He's been released by Hull so is a free agent. Got some very positive comments from Taaaaghrs fans who watch the under 23s and apparently was outstanding on loan to Tadcaster (northern Prem)
Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 16, 2018, 11:01am; Reply: 19
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-DcyYb9aOM[/url]
lads got some skills for sure; great spatial and game awareness and can strike the ball. Good showreel
Posted by: forza ivano, May 16, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 20
Quoted from BeijingMariner
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-DcyYb9aOM[/url]
lads got some skills for sure; great spatial and game awareness and can strike the ball. Good showreel

looks good doesn't he? reminds me of myself

his left foot is simply for standing on ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 16, 2018, 1:11pm; Reply: 21
reminds me of Paddy Mclaughlin's showreel :-)
Posted by: Mendonca1995, May 16, 2018, 5:34pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Stew0_0
reminds me of Paddy Mclaughlin's showreel :-)

Also including makreth and the Irish lad from Swindon was it Stewart ? they looked awesome on YouTube but did nothing at town 😔
Posted by: rancido, May 16, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mendonca1995

Also including makreth and the Irish lad from Swindon was it Stewart ? they looked awesome on YouTube but did nothing at town 😔

Paddy was never played in his natural position but pushed out on the left wing and the role never suited him.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 16, 2018, 6:29pm; Reply: 24
as those clips were filmed from so far away that could have been anybody playing and we wouldnt know any different !!

Posted by: Mikey_345, May 16, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from moosey_club
as those clips were filmed from so far away that could have been anybody playing and we wouldnt know any different !!

Apart from me..... I’m excrement
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, May 19, 2018, 8:56am; Reply: 26
Hope I am wrong but could Macca be at Hamden park today watching his new team?
After all he would be playing in Europe next season instead of morecambe.........
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 19, 2018, 9:16am; Reply: 27
Quoted from rancido

Paddy was never played in his natural position but pushed out on the left wing and the role never suited him.

Because he was weak as urine in the middle. Has real ability but you wouldn't trust him in a two in CM, shame but that's why he's playing non league. Too weak physically and lacks the mentality to get stuck in which is vital for a central midfielder. He had great balance though and could go past players with ease.
Posted by: TAGG, May 19, 2018, 9:22am; Reply: 28
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
After all he would be playing in Europe next season instead of morecambe.........

Macca will be in Europe longer on his holidays than Motherwell will be playing in that competition 👍🏻
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 19, 2018, 9:54am; Reply: 29
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Or could it be that he’s simply going to cheer on his old mate (Richard Tait)!!
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 19, 2018, 9:57am; Reply: 30
Or he could be at home in front of the telly watching a wedding ...
Posted by: fishyfanny, May 19, 2018, 10:10am; Reply: 31
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
Or he could be at home in front of the telly watching a wedding ...

Wedding?  What wedding? ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 19, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 32
Quoted from fishyfanny

Wedding?  What wedding? ;)

I believe Ronnie Pickering is getting married. !
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 19, 2018, 10:36am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Civvy at last

I believe Ronnie Pickering is getting married. !

Who  ?    ;)
Posted by: golfer, May 19, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 34
Might have watched it until I saw Fanny Schofield was on the programme
Posted by: Tradjazz, May 19, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 35
Can somebody tell that skeleton with David Beckham it's a wedding, not a funeral!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 19, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Tradjazz
Can somebody tell that skeleton with David Beckham it's a wedding, not a funeral!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

She has an image to uphold, and smiling is not part of that image.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 19, 2018, 1:24pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Posh Harry

She has an image to uphold, and smiling is not part of that image.

Shouldn't you be concentrating on your duties as groom rather than posting on here Harry?
Posted by: golfer, May 19, 2018, 1:24pm; Reply: 38
Would you smile if you were married to that "SIR" hunter
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 19, 2018, 2:47pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Shouldn't you be concentrating on your duties as groom rather than posting on here Harry?

Ha. Marriage is over now. Done that waving thing, back to important stuff now. FOOTBALL!!

UTFM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 19, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Posh Harry

Ha. Marriage is over now. Done that waving thing, back to important stuff now. FOOTBALL!!

UTFM

You should have signed for us permanently sir.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 20, 2018, 7:41pm; Reply: 41
Matt dean has tweeted that macca has rejected the Motherwell move and it's becoming more likely he will sign for us. utm
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, May 20, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 42
He must have been watching Motherwell play in Scottish cup final. They were very poor.
Onwards and upwards with GTFC
Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 43
2 year deal, highest paid player and testimonial so ive heard from many people.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 20, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Meza
2 year deal, highest paid player and testimonial so ive heard from many people.

Hope so.....he's impressed me since the Hendersongate thing.

Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from promotion plaice

Hope so.....he's impressed me since the Hendersongate thing.

Dont know about you but ive always rated JM.  He might not be a goalkeeper that comes out and claims crosses but i think he has been one if not the best goalkeeper at town.  Now ive seen a few but none came close to Coyne until Macca came.  His shot stopping is great some of his saves have been wprld class like the save he made at Wembley vs Wrexham.  I mean how the hell did he keep out Andy Morrells goal bound effort.  

Im so glad JM is staying.  
Posted by: Bigdog, May 20, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 46
Don't get me wrong, I think Macca's a half decent keeper for this level, and I'd rather he signed as it would be one position less in the team to worry about, but I don't think he's as good as some on here are portraying. Getting gooey eyed about him showing passion and being a loyal servant to the club seems to mask the fact for some that he's really poor on crosses and commanding his box. He's a competent League Two keeper with shot stopping being the counterbalance to his weaknesses, but nowhere near the best five keepers we've ever had, never mind second best to Danny Coyne.. or am I missing something?
Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Bigdog
Don't get me wrong, I think Macca's a half decent keeper for this level, and I'd rather he signed as it would be one position less in the team to worry about, but I don't think he's as good as some on here are portraying. Getting gooey eyed about him showing passion and being a loyal servant to the club seems to mask the fact for some that he's really poor on crosses and commanding his box. He's a competent League Two keeper with shot stopping being the  counterbalance to his weaknesses, but nowhere near the best five keepers we've ever had, never mind second best to Danny Coyne.. or am I missing something?

I think your being very unfair.  If macca was 6ft odd then id expect him to show his dominance.....but he aint a tall keeper so that side of his game he doesnt need to worry about.  Lets be honest how many top keepers have u seen coming out claiming crosses that arent tall keepers cos i cant remember seeing man city keeper doing that.  I think JM can easily play Championship level.  And yes for me the saves hes made in his time here no1 town keeper.
Posted by: chaos33, May 20, 2018, 10:30pm; Reply: 48
On what evidence basis do you make the claim that he could "easily play championship level" then?

And, for the record, I do think he's a good keeper at this level, and a great servant, and I hope he stays.
Posted by: nightrider, May 20, 2018, 10:30pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Meza

Dont know about you but ive always rated JM.  He might not be a goalkeeper that comes out and claims crosses but i think he has been one if not the best goalkeeper at town.  Now ive seen a few but none came close to Coyne until Macca came.  His shot stopping is great some of his saves have been wprld class like the save he made at Wembley vs Wrexham.  I mean how the hell did he keep out Andy Morrells goal bound effort.  

Im so glad JM is staying.  

I agree with you. He doesn't seem to have improved a lot over the years (makes you wonder what the point of Warrington was) but he's a brilliant shot stopper, as good as weve had and we're lucky to have  him. He's exactly what we need. Give him a better contract and challenge him to improve
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Bigdog
Don't get me wrong, I think Macca's a half decent keeper for this level, and I'd rather he signed as it would be one position less in the team to worry about, but I don't think he's as good as some on here are portraying. Getting gooey eyed about him showing passion and being a loyal servant to the club seems to mask the fact for some that he's really poor on crosses and commanding his box. He's a competent League Two keeper with shot stopping being the  counterbalance to his weaknesses, but nowhere near the best five keepers we've ever had, never mind second best to Danny Coyne.. or am I missing something?

Nope, I think that’s fair. I’ve been watching Town since the very early 90s and realistically the likes of Sherwood, Crichton, Davison and Coyne were far superior in terms of ability.

But you have to rate players in the context of our league status and in that sense, I think Macca has to be up there in the list of legendary goalkeepers. He’s given 100% for this club since he arrived in 2011 and for that he deserves huge respect. His kind of attitude is not to be taken for granted in the modern game.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 20, 2018, 10:53pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Poojah

Nope, I think that’s fair. I’ve been watching Town since the very early 90s and realistically the likes of Sherwood, Crichton, Davison and Coyne were far superior in terms of ability.

But you have to rate players in the context of our league status and in that sense, I think Macca has to be up there in the list of legendary goalkeepers. He’s given 100% for this club since he arrived in 2011 and for that he deserves huge respect. His kind of attitude is not to be taken for granted in the modern game.

Add Batch and Wainman to that list; but in the recent context (previously losing key members of the squad to clubs no bigger, sometimes smaller [Hartlepool] than us) it would great to see off Motherwell and retain a very good keeper for this level and, as important, a player who loves playing for GTFC.
Posted by: Maringer, May 20, 2018, 11:03pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Bigdog
Don't get me wrong, I think Macca's a half decent keeper for this level, and I'd rather he signed as it would be one position less in the team to worry about, but I don't think he's as good as some on here are portraying. Getting gooey eyed about him showing passion and being a loyal servant to the club seems to mask the fact for some that he's really poor on crosses and commanding his box. He's a competent League Two keeper with shot stopping being the counterbalance to his weaknesses, but nowhere near the best five keepers we've ever had, never mind second best to Danny Coyne.. or am I missing something?

Funny that Coyne should be mentioned because he was pretty much a (slightly better) version of McKeown. Good shot-stopper, hopeless at crosses though a bit better with his kicking. Less prone to the odd gaffe or two each season than McKeown as well, I suppose.

McKeown is around 6'2", if the OS is to be believed, which is plenty tall enough but he's not a player who is dominant when it comes to collecting crosses. Not the first decent keeper we've had who prefers to stay on his line and won't be the last. In this day and age when the opposition tend to do their best to block the keeper, this isn't perhaps too bad a thing at times.

It's the usual situation here. For those moaning about his failings, just consider that if he was better at kicking and catching crosses, he'd have been playing a division or two higher for the past few years. He isn't, so he hasn't.

Not so sure about comparisons with keepers like Sherwood. The game was very much different back in his era as picking up backpasses was allowed and extremely commonplace. A much more pressured role these days with dodgy backpasses to deal with the best you can.

I'll be pleased if he stays with us - not overjoyed, but happy that we have a decent keeper in place. I'd stop him taking free-kicks in more advanced positions in our own half, however, as he doesn't have the control in his kicking and tends to overhit way too many of them.
Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2018, 11:10pm; Reply: 53
Name                     Pos        Year        App
Harry Wainman    - GK - 1964–1977 - 420
Nigel Batch          - GK - 1976–1986 - 348  
Steve Sherwood   - GK - 1987–1992 - 183
Paul Crichton       - GK - 1993–1996 - 133  
Aidan Davison      - GK - 1997-2003 - 109  
Danny Coyne       - GK - 1999–2002 - 181  
James McKeown  - GK - 2011 -         - 301
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 20, 2018, 11:20pm; Reply: 54

In my time of following Town.......Nigel Batch was the top goalkeeper for Town.

Harry Wainman was before I started following Town   :)
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2018, 11:29pm; Reply: 55
On a slight tangent, I have a question for those older than me. For as long as I’ve been watching Town, our keepers have never worn green - my understanding that this is to do with an old fishing superstition.

Looking back through old photos though, we did have green keeper shirts - so when did this tradition begin?

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/grimsby-town-fourth-division-champions-197172-trainer-jim-clunie-alan-picture-id681452142[/img]
Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2018, 11:34pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Poojah
On a slight tangent, I have a question for those older than me. For as long as I’ve been watching Town, our keepers have never worn green - my understanding that this is to do with an old fishing superstition.

Looking back through old photos though, we did have green keeper shirts - so when did this tradition begin?

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/grimsby-town-fourth-division-champions-197172-trainer-jim-clunie-alan-picture-id681452142[/img]

Didnt Steve Sherwood wear the odd green jersey i can definately remember him wearing yelliw and red
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 20, 2018, 11:38pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Poojah

Who was Towns back up keeper in the picture ?

Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 20, 2018, 11:44pm; Reply: 58
Think its Ian Turner, followed McMenemy to Southampton and played in the FA cup final soon after IIRC
Posted by: Sussexmariner, May 21, 2018, 12:05am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Add Batch and Wainman to that list; but in the recent context (previously losing key members of the squad to clubs no bigger, sometimes smaller [Hartlepool] than us) it would great to see off Motherwell and retain a very good keeper for this level and, as important, a player who loves playing for GTFC.[color=black][/color]

Loves playing for us unless a better keeper is chosen ahead of him i.e Henderson then he wants to leave.

I’ll be more than happy if he stay next season as long as our manager thinks he can’t get a better goalkeeper. If he thinks he can improve on Macca then it seems a waste of money making him one of the highest earners in the club for a No2 goalkeeper

In Jolley we trust

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 21, 2018, 1:28am; Reply: 60
Batch kept a clean sheet at Boothferry Park with a broken hand, he also had a world class tache. He was the best regular keeper I’ve seen play for us. Davidson is massively underrated too. Holds the record clean sheets for a season with us iirc.

Macca though is as good a shot stopper as you’ll find at this level. There might be better all rounders about but his saves late on this season helped keep us up. For this and just the reasons we shouldn’t have let Pearson go, he needs to stay.
Posted by: toontown, May 21, 2018, 7:32am; Reply: 61
Agreed - sensational reaction shot stopper for this level, doubt there's any better. Very good at 1 on 1s too. His clear weakness is commanding his box and crosses but he wouldn't be playing at this level if he were good at those too!

As impcorner says, maybe there is the odd better all rounder at this level, but his saving ability was a massive contributor to us staying up this year. He is now starting what is normally the peak period for a keeper so it'd be great to keep him.

Incidentally, talk of him being the highest earner at the club, there are only a handful of senior pros contracted at the mo so it perhaps isn't that surprising if he were on the most out of them all if he re-signed.
Posted by: Teesknees, May 21, 2018, 7:58am; Reply: 62
Quoted from promotion plaice

Who was Towns back up keeper in the picture ?

Ian Turner, went onto play for Southampton.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 21, 2018, 8:27am; Reply: 63
I'm very pleased McKeown is staying (if true), although I suspect my feelings on this are swayed by the emotions with not only him being one of a selection of players who actually seemed to care about the club in the dark days of this winter gone but also as the final remaining link to that promotion side.

As goalkeepers go, I think he's more than capable at this level.  He's a very good shot-stopper and for this level his distribution is OK, you compare it to some of the panicking 'keepers we've seen visit Blundell Park in the last few months who sliced everything out for a throw-in.  I would like him to command his area more and on occasions when he does feel confident enough, he's very good at it.  That said, if a 'keeper doesn't fancy his chances of claiming the ball I would rather he stays on his line than get himself caught out.  

Could we improve on him?  Yes, I think we could but it would take a real find.  Could we do a lot worse? Absolutely! Arguably the few appearances made by Dean Henderson gave us a false impression of what we should be aspiring to at this level.  The lad has dominated in the league above and is one game away from winning promotion to the Championship, he's linked with some really big clubs and will only get better.  We were lucky to see him at this level in all honesty.  But even he wasn't without an error, I forget where it was but he and Mills got into a mix-up and cost us a goal.

In my opinion, the standard at this level was set when we had Steve Mildenhall.  Taken into account the level he was playing at, he was one of the top five 'keepers I've seen at this club.  Dave Beasant was the best, no contest at all but he only was here for a short space of time.  Equally so Wayne Henderson when he came on loan in 2008/09, everyone remembers the impact of Conlon and Sweeney but he was just as, if not more, important.  

Higher up the levels Aidan Davison was a colossus for us in 1997/98 and carried it on into the following season before he parted on bad terms.  But his copybook was blotted when he came back a few years later and was a disgrace with his attitude.  

Danny Coyne was a truly wonderful shot-stopper but people forget he was a disaster in his first season.  He worked really hard on his distribution but he never mastered coming off his line, something that probably prevented him playing consistently at a higher level.  
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 21, 2018, 9:16am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Teesknees

Ian Turner, went onto play for Southampton.

Yes and the only ex-Town keeper to appear in a Cup Final (as Beasant came after)?

I was at his debut v Peterbrough - we went 2 nil down very quickly and though I can't remember their goals I do remember the Main Stand crowd were muttering, including my Dad... "bring Harry on" etc so it maybe wasn't the best of debuts.

Town however turned it round and won 3-2 - took us to the verge of promotion and the championship (clinched at the Exeter game) - 46 feckin years ago...

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 21, 2018, 9:16am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Poojah

No 23 man squads in those days.......

f Macca stays that will be good as he's a good L2 keeper who has improved a lot since Andy Warrington has been at the club plus as much as any pro would he really cares about GTFC.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, May 21, 2018, 9:52am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yes and the only ex-Town keeper to appear in a Cup Final (as Beasant came after)?

I was at his debut v Peterbrough - we went 2 nil down very quickly and though I can't remember their goals I do remember the Main Stand crowd were muttering, including my Dad... "bring Harry on" etc so it maybe wasn't the best of debuts.

Town however turned it round and won 3-2 - took us to the verge of promotion and the championship (clinched at the Exeter game) - 46 feckin years ago...

That was 1971-72 season somewhere around Easter, IIRC? It was televised on Anglia and shown the following day. Would love to see footage from that game again.

Posted by: ginnywings, May 21, 2018, 9:57am; Reply: 67
I think if you are going to compare Macca to keepers of the past, you have to take into account the level some of the former stoppers were playing at, which was certainly higher than what Macca has been for us. He came here while we were in non league and has steadily improved as we have gone back into the league and hopefully will continue to improve as we rise up the leagues (fingers crossed). Besides, we will spend that much time on the attack next season, that i could play in goal.  ;)

I have been a bit critical of Macca in the past, i will admit it, but it's difficult for fans of a certain age, like myself, not to compare and contrast with players of old and forget that the standard of player and team we had in previous years was a cut above where we are now. Not always of course, as we have had just as many shocking teams and players in our history. Macca is not the best keeper i've seen, but he's far from the worst. He is also a loyal servant and clearly wants to play for us still. He deserves a new contract just for his end of season displays- the Port Vale game in particular, when he was superb. It's time to stop letting our better players walk, and make them want to stay.
Posted by: Jimbob, May 21, 2018, 10:28am; Reply: 68
still need a good  second goalkeeper, if that's ok with macca !
Posted by: Cloudy, May 21, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 69

That was 1971-72 season somewhere around Easter, IIRC? It was televised on Anglia and shown the following day. Would love to see footage from that game again.

Correct. IIRC Dave Worthington scored one of our comeback goals????
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 21, 2018, 10:39am; Reply: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
I think if you are going to compare Macca to keepers of the past, you have to take into account the level some of the former stoppers were playing at, which was certainly higher than what Macca has been for us. He came here while we were in non league and has steadily improved as we have gone back into the league and hopefully will continue to improve as we rise up the leagues (fingers crossed). Besides, we will spend that much time on the attack next season, that i could play in goal.  ;)

I have been a bit critical of Macca in the past, i will admit it, but it's difficult for fans of a certain age, like myself, not to compare and contrast with players of old and forget that the standard of player and team we had in previous years was a cut above where we are now. Not always of course, as we have had just as many shocking teams and players in our history. Macca is not the best keeper i've seen, but he's far from the worst. He is also a loyal servant and clearly wants to play for us still. He deserves a new contract just for his end of season displays- the Port Vale game in particular, when he was superb. It's time to stop letting our better players walk, and make them want to stay.

His worst spell was after he had Meningitis during the pre-season training period. IMHO Hurst brought him back too early (he played at Kidderminster in the first game and fecked up and then again at Alty), we should have had a loan keeper in to give him proper chance to recover and get back in tip-top condition - was that Hurst's fault or the Board not giving him funds for it? Whatever it cost us some points and contributed to us being off the pace in the league early on.

Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 21, 2018, 10:49am; Reply: 71
Good to still have a player with a lengthy period of time at the club. I hope he gets his testimonial as he’s part of THAT squad which took us up. He’s turned down a higher wage elsewhere to want to stay with us and if that doesn’t say a lot about his character I don’t know what does. If Collins re-signs I’d say Collins as skipper with James as Vice and the club captain.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 21, 2018, 11:07am; Reply: 72
Can't foresee Collins playing every game next season if he signs. I hope the summer transfer windows throws up a new fresh on field captain, looking forward to a brighter future rather than us doffing our caps to a relatively unsuccessful past. Macca or Collins for club captain, if they sign, is a good shout though..
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 21, 2018, 12:01pm; Reply: 73
If he signs I'd make Summerfield captain. When the going got tough he never lost his endeavour, enthusiasm or constant attempts at motivation, always pointing at other players telling them where to be etc.
Posted by: Kris2, May 21, 2018, 2:04pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Jimbob
still need a good  second goalkeeper, if that's ok with macca !

Just as long as they aren't good enough to knock him out of the #1 spot. Cover only and Macca is fine.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 21, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 75
Club have just released one of those cringy 'transfer tease'
videos.

I didn't cringe too much at this one though, because all signs point to McKeown signing a new contract today.

Great news.
Posted by: golfer, May 21, 2018, 3:02pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Mariner_09
If he signs I'd make Summerfield captain. When the going got tough he never lost his endeavour, enthusiasm or constant attempts at motivation, always pointing at other players telling them where to be etc.

The way he took the responsibility you would have thought he was captain last season. Give him the armband and let him lead by example.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), May 21, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 77
Over the moon with this!! Well done GTFC!! Panic over, this thread can be closed!!

Get in!! UTM
Posted by: rancido, May 21, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from ginnywings

Very true. We had some very good keepers in the 60's and 70's. Charlie Wright and Harry Wainman plus Nigel batch later on.
Posted by: rancido, May 21, 2018, 8:05pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from golfer

The way he took the responsibility you would have thought he was captain last season. Give him the armband and let him lead by example.

I've never liked the idea of a keeper as captain. IMO it must be an outfield player and preferably in mid-field like Dis.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 15, 2018, 6:10am; Reply: 80
Quoted from forza ivano
i wonder whether the new player might be Will Annan as someone previously mentioned. Don't normally do twitter ,but there's been a lot of re-tweets about gtfc stuff in the last 6 weeks or so (nothing before) from him.Thta coincidentally, was about the time he was released by Ull . also seems to be mates with harry cardwell
Signed yesterday for Northern Premier League side Scarborough Athletic >> http://scarboroughathletic.com/news/2018-06-14/former-hull-man-commits-to-seadogs

[tweet]1007186174996303872[/tweet]
Posted by: forza ivano, June 15, 2018, 7:48am; Reply: 81
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Signed yesterday for Northern Premier League side Scarborough Athletic >> http://scarboroughathletic.com/news/2018-06-14/former-hull-man-commits-to-seadogs

[tweet]1007186174996303872[/tweet]

That's an excellent signing for Scarborough. Never saw him dropping to that low a level.maybe he's got some sort of job/ career and only wants part time?
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 2:36pm