Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 15, 2018, 4:04pm
Shrewsbury set to put 500 'safe rail seats'

So, what's that all about? And how come we can't?

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2018/05/15/shrewsbury-town-begin-installation-of-safe-standing-at-montgomery-waters-meadow/
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 1
Guessing it's because we have to have an all seater stadium, whereas they don't (yet)?  
Posted by: LH, May 15, 2018, 4:11pm; Reply: 2
Yeah because the law was written so that any club at the time the legislation was passed who were playing at PL or Champ level had to convert to all seater. A badly written law that ignored that football is a meritocracy that can change drastically in the space of two years.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2018, 4:16pm; Reply: 3
Am I right in thinking that Stockport wouldn't be allowed to have standing in the Conference North? Bonkers.
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 15, 2018, 4:40pm; Reply: 4
Surely our ground can’t be considered ‘all-seater’ with those god-awful open, empty corners?! Rail seats should be allowed in all 3 of those.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 15, 2018, 4:43pm; Reply: 5
I'd love to see the new ground built on a similar mold to BP, just without the posts and not made out of wood, but with a corner and a side connected, one big double tiered stand down the other side etc and I'd like to see the equivalent of the Ponny end being an all safe standing area, be great to get all the atmosphere created at one end of the ground rather than small, very weak smatterings all over the place.
Posted by: ska face, May 15, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Heisenberg
Surely our ground can’t be considered ‘all-seater’ with those god-awful open, empty corners?! Rail seats should be allowed in all 3 of those.

We wouldn’t even be able to have a rail seating area in a new, purpose-built stafoum as the law applies to the clubs (not grounds) who were in the top two divisions at the time.

I may be right in thinking that we could go out of business and come back as a different legal entity whilst still playing at BP (a la Rangers or Hereford), and then we would be allowed rail seating.

It’s insane, but the government don’t care a jot.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 15, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 7
This is due to be debated in parliament soon, the safe standing petition having reached 100,000 signatures.

If you care about this, please do email your MP to ask them to support trials and pilot schemes, not so it can be judged as success or failure, but so everyone can work out how it can be best made to work.

There are supporters and detractors on both sides.  Tracey Crouch, the Sports Minister, is the major block at the moment.  If you're emailing a Tory MP, maybe stress the freedom-of-choice aspect and point out that the Welsh Conservatives have already put support for safe standing in their manifesto.  If you have a Labour MP, suggest it as another way to outflank "out of touch Tories".
Posted by: Kris2, May 15, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 8
Oh here we go lol. "I want things to be like when I was a thug in the 60's, I want people to surge forward in massive crowds and crush people when a goal is scored so it's more dangerous.....I don't want to stand though I want to sit with my flask and watch it to reminisce over my youth."

It's okay you can use your decades old insults on me and tell me to give my head a wobble  ;D. Who even says that anymore?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 15, 2018, 5:48pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Kris2
Oh here we go lol. "I want things to be like when I was a thug in the 60's, I want people to surge forward in massive crowds and crush people when a goal is scored so it's more dangerous.....I don't want to stand though I want to sit with my flask and watch it to reminisce over my youth."

I would be absolutely 100% against that and am very pleased that the only proposals being looked at are for rail seating, where each supporter gets their own barrier, their own numbered space and there is excellent provision for disabled supporters.  No-one wants to go back to crowd surges, and we hope that proper pilot schemes can provide a basis to develop safe rail seating/standing for everyone who wants to have the choice.  In my own opinion, all clubs should also be mandated to offer seats to away fans as I think it's unacceptable to sell only standing tickets to away fans and deny supporters the choice of sitting.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 15, 2018, 5:53pm; Reply: 10
I want it to go back to the days when we all surged forward when we scored and I got crushed against the fence it the Ponny . It was ace !!
Posted by: Bignic69, May 15, 2018, 5:54pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd love to see the new ground built on a similar mold to BP, just without the posts and not made out of wood, but with a corner and a side connected, one big double tiered stand down the other side etc and I'd like to see the equivalent of the Ponny end being an all safe standing area, be great to get all the atmosphere created at one end of the ground rather than small, very weak smatterings all over the place.

The Ponny was simply brilliant to be in when it was all standing, although not entirely safe it was an experience. I can remember being about 12 years of age and when town scored ending up 10 to 15 meters away from where I was originally stood.............Awesome
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, May 15, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Kris2

It's okay you can use your decades old insults on me and tell me to give my head a wobble  ;D. Who even says that anymore?

We clearly need to make an effort to communicate better with our younger supporters, especially those that can't read.

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/07/5b/ea/075bea9514f9d7642a74072fd81c93e0.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Townee82, May 15, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 13
Was a regular in the barrett stand in the 70s moving to the imperial corner in the 80s and would love the return of the corners although worry as to my grandsons view who is only 7 and think would struggle to see with these new standing systems being so regimented .
Posted by: rancido, May 15, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ska face

We wouldn’t even be able to have a rail seating area in a new, purpose-built stafoum as the law applies to the clubs (not grounds) who were in the top two divisions at the time.

I may be right in thinking that we could go out of business and come back as a different legal entity whilst still playing at BP (a la Rangers or Hereford), and then we would be allowed rail seating.

It’s insane, but the government don’t care a jot.

It's nothing to do with the Government not caring a jot but more the restrictive, short-sighted nature of the Law when it was introduced.
Posted by: ska face, May 15, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

It's nothing to do with the Government not caring a jot but more the restrictive, short-sighted nature of the Law when it was introduced.

It’s down to the application of the law (laws which, oddly, the government are in charge of...), and the government minister responsible for this went against the advice of her own experts recently and rejected West Brom’s proposal.

It’s everything to do with the government. They’re the only ones holding this back.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 15, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
This is due to be debated in parliament soon, the safe standing petition having reached 100,000 signatures.

If you care about this, please do email your MP to ask them to support trials and pilot schemes, not so it can be judged as success or failure, but so everyone can work out how it can be best made to work.

There are supporters and detractors on both sides.  Tracey Crouch, the Sports Minister, is the major block at the moment.  If you're emailing a Tory MP, maybe stress the freedom-of-choice aspect and point out that the Welsh Conservatives have already put support for safe standing in their manifesto.  If you have a Labour MP, suggest it as another way to outflank "out of touch Tories".

And if your MP is Melanie Onn say that someone who was sat down wolf whistled at you and it made you feel degraded
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Kris2

How about 'I want things to be like the 2010s when I was a massive male private who mischaracterised people's wishes, oh that's now,' as an insult.

Never realised there was a use by date on insults. But them I'm not a dedicated swallower of fashion.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'd love it to have as much wood as possible. It'd add character. Is the outside of the Main Stand just a bit of excrement old timber to you?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 16, 2018, 7:27am; Reply: 19
I wouldn’t think the main stand was that nice if I was stuck at the back when it went up in flames
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 16, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I wouldn’t think the main stand was that nice if I was stuck at the back when it went up in flames

You can build in timber that's properly treated.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 16, 2018, 11:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I want it to go back to the days when we all surged forward when we scored and I got crushed against the fence it the Ponny . It was ace !!

I used to stand with my back to one of the wooden barriers in the Pontoon and was standing there when one of them gave way. :-/
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 23, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 22

BBC 1    20:00 - 21:00  Watchdog Live now..

Not sure when or how long it will be on during the programme but "ED Balls asks if the time has come for football grounds to introduce safe standing".
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 23, 2018, 9:16pm; Reply: 23

So if Shrewsbury get promoted on Sunday they will have to remove the safe standing they have just put in ?

Sounds like good planning to me   ;D
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 23, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

I used to stand with my back to one of the wooden barriers in the Pontoon and was standing there when one of them gave way. :-/

Was that Scunny on a Good Friday early 70’s ? Seem to remember going face down on top of other fans all a bit scary at the time.
Posted by: DocDock, May 23, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from promotion plaice

So if Shrewsbury get promoted on Sunday they will have to remove the safe standing they have just put in ?

Sounds like good planning to me   ;D

I think you have to have been in the championship for at least 3 years before all stadiums have to be all seated. I could be wrong though
Posted by: Abdul19, May 23, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 26
I believe you're right
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 23, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Abdul19
I believe you're right

I thought so as well and if correct then poor journalism from the BBC.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 23, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Was that Scunny on a Good Friday early 70’s ? Seem to remember going face down on top of other fans all a bit scary at the time.

To be honest I can't remember which game it was but sure it was most definitely in the 70's. I think we ended up standing in the Main Stand for the rest of the game.
Posted by: Meza, May 23, 2018, 10:39pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from arryarryarry

To be honest I can't remember which game it was but sure it was most definitely in the 70's. I think we ended up standing in the Main Stand for the rest of the game.

My worst experience in the Ponny was vs Coventry in the Rumbelows cup, I think Drinkell was on the bench for them.  we scored and then the chant at the time was

Lets go fu(king mental lets go fu(king mental na na naaa na.….na na naa na
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 3:07pm