Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 12, 2018, 6:53pm
All of a sudden has become 4th favourite for the Barnsely job
Posted by: 11MARINER11, May 12, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 1
Well ! If offered the job and he takes it , yet another massive own goal by our inept board .
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 12, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 2
Can’t see it myself, still very inexperienced.

However the club needs to in my opinion move quickly and give him a longer contract than the 6 month rolling. I get that give the club some security if they need to dispose of services etc BUT it does nothing in terms of putting off others (Hurst and Shrewsbury).

Just look at what Lincoln have done with the Crowley’s. If they do go, Lincoln are compensated adequately. Us on the other hand just get a measley 6 months!

I think we may have unearthed a gem here - time to gamble and give a longer contract.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 12, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 3
6 crosses for simply stating a fact?
Posted by: Townee82, May 12, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 4
He's just began building a new set up here it's just bookies plot to drum up buisness.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 12, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 5

http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/martin-jolley-at-10-1.268351/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 12, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from arryarryarry

It’s Barnsley FFS listening to that set of thick Yorkie tw@ts you’d think they where following Real Madrid.

I think if he was looking to go anywhere Wilco would still be in a job tonight.

Posted by: StickfordMariner, May 12, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 7
They don’t even know his name how dare they!!!!
Posted by: 11MARINER11, May 12, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 8
8 crosses for calling the board inept . Thought most wanted them hung drawn n quartered . Hypocritical is my word of the day . Cross that at your leisure !
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 12, 2018, 9:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from StickfordMariner
They don’t even know his name how dare they!!!!

Even us whippet knew it was Michael and not Martin.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 12, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 10
Played for Barnsley when he was 12 + is a manager = someone's put a fiver on
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 12, 2018, 9:52pm; Reply: 11
I think the odds will tumble towards Paul Hurst if Charlton win next week.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, May 12, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 12
Thought they would go for mick mccarthy tbh
Posted by: GrimRob, May 12, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 13
He'll leave us one date but it won't be yet.

MJ is 10/1 and PH is 11/1.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 12, 2018, 10:28pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think the odds will tumble towards Paul Hurst if Charlton win next week.

Thought Hurst was rumoured to go to Ipswich.
No way Jolley will be offered the Barnsley job at the moment....too much of a gamble for them.

Still a gamble for us in reality although I think he will come good here.

Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 12, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 15
In a way he owes us for giving him a chance in English football TBF, why would he leave us now, where he is actually loved by our supports and I think he beginning to love us back
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 13, 2018, 12:08am; Reply: 16
Quoted from 11MARINER11
8 crosses for calling the board inept . Thought most wanted them hung drawn n quartered . Hypocritical is my word of the day . Cross that at your leisure !

Don't worry about it. Probably isn't the same people.

I agree with you about the board.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 13, 2018, 12:41am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
6 crosses for simply stating a fact?

No.13 n counting......... 8)
Posted by: forza ivano, May 13, 2018, 12:44am; Reply: 18
Quoted from 11MARINER11

Have x ed both.thanks for the invitation8)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 13, 2018, 10:04am; Reply: 19
Don't know why anyone takes any notice of bookies odds.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 13, 2018, 10:28am; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't know why anyone takes any notice of bookies odds.

Are you saying that the 1-3 odds being offered 3 months ago on the bloke who manages Boston taking the GTFC job were completely meaningless?  ??) ??) ??)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 13, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Abdul19

Are you saying that the 1-3 odds being offered 3 months ago on the bloke who manages Boston taking the GTFC job were completely meaningless?  ??) ??) ??)

I think i am, yes.  :)
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, May 13, 2018, 7:15pm; Reply: 22
Jolley has got off to a good start in the shorrt time he has been with us. Its a very big gamble for someone to give him a bigger job until theyve seen his recruitment ability and managed for a season at least. Ive got confidence in him but im a town fan so tend to be overoptimistic despite past similar horror experiences.
Im not going to lose any sleep over it.
Posted by: chaos33, May 13, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 23
I think the clubs view will be that Jolley ( and Hurst/Bignot before him), effectively has the job in perpetuity, and that this is the best position for both manager and club. This may or may be something that people agree with but is the board's stance.
Posted by: toontown, May 13, 2018, 8:01pm; Reply: 24
Well he won't be staying with us for long if w don't give him a longer contract is my view, regardless of the boards beliefs. The board believed slade should be given the whole of the transfer window to sell our best players and carry on losing matches. They can't be trusted and are clearly pretty clueless when it comes to football. When u stumble upon a cracking manager (which happens rarely) you back them if you want them to stay, a six months rolling contract lost us Hurst after 3 months of league football.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, May 13, 2018, 8:09pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from toontown
Well he won't be staying with us for long if w don't give him a longer contract is my view, regardless of the boards beliefs. The board believed slade should be given the whole of the transfer window to sell our best players and carry on losing matches. They can't be trusted and are clearly pretty clueless when it comes to football. When u stumble upon a cracking manager (which happens rarely) you back them if you want them to stay, a six months rolling contract lost us Hurst after 3 months of league football.

The reason we lost Paul Hurst was because they wouldn't buy into his idea of taking the club forward. Things like fitness coaches and analytic computer programmes. If they had then that could have been us playing Charlton today.

Posted by: chaos33, May 13, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from toontown

That's not why we lost Hurst.

There is a view that a six month rolling contract is the closest thing to a permanent contract - a six month rolling contract is never running down towards an end.
Posted by: toontown, May 13, 2018, 11:07pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from chaos33

That's not why we lost Hurst.

There is a view that a six month rolling contract is the closest thing to a permanent contract - a six month rolling contract is never running down towards an end.

Well the value of the contract dictates the compensation paid, and a six month rolling contract has a value of just 6 months. The cost of levering Jolley away would therefore be relatively little, the same as it was for Hurst, such that a club at the very bottom of league 1 was able to afford it. The value of a longer contract can deter those who would otherwise take a manager off a club.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 13, 2018, 11:14pm; Reply: 28
True. I wonder how much it would cost Ipswich to prise the Cowleys from Lincoln if they're supposedly on a contract there until 2022?
Posted by: toontown, May 13, 2018, 11:26pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from RichMariner
True. I wonder how much it would cost Ipswich to prise the Cowleys from Lincoln if they're supposedly on a contract there until 2022?

Given that it would be compensation for both manager and assistant for 4 full years it would be pretty eye-watering. Hence why Lincoln stll have the Cowleys, when they extended ther contracts mid-way through their first season it ruled out any club below championship level being able to afford them. An extremely wise move.

One thing is that prior to Wilkinson leaving we would have had a 6 month contract for manager only by way of compensation, as Wilkinso was forced on Jolley when he arrived. Jolley would have been an even cheaper option than Hurst was as Hurst's move involved Doig too. With Wilko leaving we will be getting in Jolley's man as assistant and a poaching club would have to compensate for him too.
Posted by: davmariner, May 13, 2018, 11:52pm; Reply: 30
Those saying we should offer Jolley a long-term deal are assuming that Jolley would sign it. Not necessarily true.

You could argue for example, the Cowleys have committed to Lincoln because Lincoln have commitment to taking the club forward on and off the pitch. They’ve been allowed to modernise the sports science/analysis side of things, sounds as if they have a new training complex on the way and have been allowed to invest in the squad and a strong backroom team.

Painful to say but clearly there’s a vision to take the GIMPs to the next level. Whilst certain members of the GTFC board will want you to believe PH left because of the fans, actually it’s because Shrewsbury offered a similar project, new training complex, backroom staff, sport science etc etc. Meanwhile at GTFC...
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 14, 2018, 4:00am; Reply: 31
My understanding is that he is not happy with what he has seen going on in the background and it will take several seasons to change the culture of the club.

From one point of view that could mean he wants to stay for the long haul or............................
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 14, 2018, 7:14am; Reply: 32
Believe the Cowley brothers have a £1M buy out clause in their contracts but not sure if that is each of BOGOF.

Crowley’s also given honorary degrees, freedom of the City etc. Etc. Giving them a real connection with the Community and with cup money, South African investment there is the belief here that they are capable of achieving Championship football.

Makes it difficult to have a quiet pint without listening to their glee so an Exeter win and MJ moving us forward will help the beer taste a little better and mean I can visit mr grandson without the son in law spending my whole time there telling me how great Lincoln are 😖😖
Posted by: lukeo, May 14, 2018, 7:17am; Reply: 33
Quoted from arryarryarry
My understanding is that he is not happy with what he has seen going on in the background and it will take several seasons to change the culture of the club.

From one point of view that could mean he wants to stay for the long haul or............................

This.
He is looking at making whole sale changes behind the scenes, a few within the club are unsettled by it as they're not used to it so we may see some people leave in the near future. Time will tell...
For me I say let's do it, let's risk it. Give him the chance to enhance the back ground facilities and ways of doing things.
Posted by: Pouton4ever, May 14, 2018, 8:17am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Believe the Cowley brothers have a £1M buy out clause in their contracts but not sure if that is each of BOGOF.

Crowley’s also given honorary degrees, freedom of the City etc. Etc. Giving them a real connection with the Community and with cup money, South African investment there is the belief here that they are capable of achieving Championship football.

Makes it difficult to have a quiet pint without listening to their glee so an Exeter win and MJ moving us forward will help the beer taste a little better and mean I can visit mr grandson without the son in law spending my whole time there telling me how great Lincoln are 😖😖

A £1 million buyout clause for two 3/4 div managers?!?!? A pint of whatever you ve been drinking please chief!

Put that into perspective, according to The the LMA the average managers wage in league two a couple of years go was £50k a year.

Posted by: ROKERITE, May 14, 2018, 8:57am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Thought they would go for mick mccarthy tbh

So did I. If ever there was a right man for the right job it's Mick McCarthy and Barnsley. He has always emphasised that Barnsley are his club.

Posted by: ROKERITE, May 14, 2018, 9:03am; Reply: 36
Jolley seems a sensible chap. Grimsby Town is just the job for him at this stage of his career. Any manager is under pressure but there'll be less at Grimsby, with the goodwill already from the last few weeks, than at Barnsley.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 14, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

Many have tried, but the Politburo still sits in all it's splendour.

It would probably take something along the lines of the overthrow of the Ceausescu's to oust them.  ;D
Posted by: TAGG, May 14, 2018, 9:33am; Reply: 38
The bloke has been here 3 months and performed a miracle to keep us up.
But FFS let's see what happens when he gets some of his own blokes in and how we're doing around Xmas time then it will be time for this discussion.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 14, 2018, 9:33am; Reply: 39
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have also heard this. Don’t you think it’s strange how every manager we’ve had recently is going to overhaul the archaic systems at the club, but what really changes.

Remember that Hurst left to work with “honest” people.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, May 14, 2018, 10:24am; Reply: 40
Quoted from arryarryarry

What do you mean by background? Other than first team matters the only other things I can think of are the Academy and day-to-day Administration, both of which I would have thought are on the periphery of his remit.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 14, 2018, 11:03am; Reply: 41
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I have also heard this. Don’t you think it’s strange how every manager we’ve had recently is going to overhaul the archaic systems at the club, but what really changes.

Remember Bignot said the same and even Newell before that.
Posted by: darren9, May 14, 2018, 11:05am; Reply: 42
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Archaic? We’re cutting edge. Do you not remember Russ “the builder” Slade informing us at the most excellent fans forum which was a PR master stroke by the club that the players now have tables to eat their lunch off and a TV to watch?

We’re living in the future here.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 14, 2018, 11:13am; Reply: 43
I know he's meeting with the Clee Town management team today to discuss possible future links between the two clubs. A positive move IMO!
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, May 14, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 44
Im sure if we get off to a good start this season, crowds go up and we are pushing for the playoffs the club might comit to these expenditures. I doubt that JF is sceptical of the benefits of these things its just that he wants to make the money to fund them first. A lot of money was wasted this season on the playing side and hopefully wont be repeated. JF will probably be a bit more carefull with the money this season until its in the bank
Posted by: Cloudy, May 14, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 45
Quoted from TheGoalKipper
Im sure if we get off to a good start this season, crowds go up and we are pushing for the playoffs the club might comit to these expenditures. I doubt that JF is sceptical of the benefits of these things its just that he wants to make the money to fund them first. A lot of money was wasted this season on the playing side and hopefully wont be repeated. JF will probably be a bit more carefull with the money this season until its in the bank

Are you serious?

What about the quote that an S&C coach doesnt get you 3 points on a Saturday or that we do our PR on the pitch?

Knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. This has rung true throughout his tenure and shows no sign of changing

Posted by: oldun, May 14, 2018, 12:05pm; Reply: 46
They had better be careful, didn't he leave the Swedish Club because the owners would not back him?
Posted by: oldun, May 14, 2018, 12:08pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Cloudy

Are you serious?

What about the quote that an S&C coach doesnt get you 3 points on a Saturday or that we do our PR on the pitch?

Knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. This has rung true throughout his tenure and shows no sign of changing

Since Jolly came it has been noticeable how strong we have been in the later stages of games. Must be something to do with fitness and attitude.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 14, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 48
This feel like a recurring theme with every new manager.

Newell was supposed to bring a new sense of professionalism, driving us away from the old school mentality we had adopted under Buckley Mk III.  Innovative training sessions rather than running for miles on the beach and a game of five-a-side.  Little did we know his innovation stretched as far as the pub for 'team bonding'.

Then came Woods with his modern approach to the game, bringing back the passing and move culture with a modern twist.  Even with relegation came the promise of £1million of investment to the background functions, which amounted to a £150 York Multigym from Argos and a new portable water boiler at Cheapside.

Next up, Hurst (first with Scott).  Young, hungry and dynamic.  Hell, these guys (well, one of them) even knew how to use a computer.  A bloody COMPUTER!!  Forget 2013, this was 3013 with these guys.  From a professionalism point of view, Scott wouldn't know if it hit him on the nose.  Hurst did well to ditch him at the first opportunity and did his best to make the club more professional.  Incidents of playing up were dealt with (Thanoj, I'Anson, Eagle, Brown, Mackreth etc. etc.) and he badly wanted to use sports science to kick forward.  The non-chairman saw a video on YouTube though that said you didn't need that modern jazz though and as long as the players had jam and peanut butter sandwiches they'll be ok.  Hurst left, found a club who were serious about development and now sit a game away from the Championship.  The non-chairman just tried to claim credit for avoiding relegation back to non-league.

In came Bignot with his skinny jeans and a grey tank top.  Pep Guardiola in every sense of the word, apart from that key ingredient - everything.  He talked a good game, he sounded like he knew was he was doing but ultimately he didn't have a bloody clue.  He tried to bring modern technology to training but unfortunately he found his 4G signal at Cheapside was weak, limiting his ability to deliver a training session from a YouTube video on his phone.

Slade - As mentioned above. TV's and a table.  Modern thinking at its finest.  He wanted the players to talk to each other, what's better than shoving them in front of a TV with 15-to-1 on whilst they eat their chicken dippers and oven chips.  Slade was a dab hand with Microsoft Powerpoint, which went down great for the radio audience.  

Good luck Michael.  You're going to bloody well need it!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 14, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 49
Haha - that is a brilliant post DHM. Equally hilarious and depressing!
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 14, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 50
It's simple for me. The Slade/Fenty combination nearly finished me off supporting Town after 35 years. Never have I seen so many 'shoot yourself in the foot' moments as I have seen at Town in the last year and beyond.
Last week's announcement of letting Wilko go was a great statement of intent that change is a foot. God alone knows we need it. I have found my mojo back with Town and have great optimism that Michael Jolley can bring change on and off the field.
If Fenty thinks he is unpopular now a hate to think what would happen if he cocks this opportunity up. If he likes a statement or two and wants us all to pull together then make one about supporting Jolley and giving him time to modernise the club. And in addition give him a chance to do it with a two year contract.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 14, 2018, 1:43pm; Reply: 51
Hang about...when I think of it no more statements just keep out the ruddy way and stay quiet!!
Posted by: moosey_club, May 14, 2018, 2:02pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from toontown

Well the value of the contract dictates the compensation paid, and a six month rolling contract has a value of just 6 months. The cost of levering Jolley away would therefore be relatively little, the same as it was for Hurst, such that a club at the very bottom of league 1 was able to afford it. The value of a longer contract can deter those who would otherwise take a manager off a club.

and imagine the compensation we would have to pay should we decide to get rid of a useless manager on 3/4/5 yr contract ? Swings and roundabouts.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 14, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from chipsandgravy

If Fenty thinks he is unpopular now a hate to think what would happen if he cocks this opportunity up. If he likes a statement or two and wants us all to pull together then make one about supporting Jolley and giving him time to modernise the club. And in addition give him a chance to do it with a two year contract.

I agree totally about the contract but

If Jolley doesn't deliver or worse, fails will it be down to Fenty?

It Jolley suceeds will it be down to Fenty?

I think I know the answers

Poor sod can't win, no praise for appointing Jolley (despite everyone thinking its great) just criticism for leaving it so late
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 14, 2018, 2:25pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from diehardmariner

Newell was supposed to bring a new sense of professionalism, driving us away from the old school mentality we had adopted under Buckley Mk III.  Innovative training sessions rather than running for miles on the beach and a game of five-a-side.  Little did we know his innovation stretched as far as the pub for 'team bonding'.

Then came Woods with his modern approach to the game, bringing back the passing and move culture with a modern twist.  Even with relegation came the promise of £1million of investment to the background functions, which amounted to a £150 York Multigym from Argos and a new portable water boiler at Cheapside.

Next up, Hurst (first with Scott).  Young, hungry and dynamic.  Hell, these guys (well, one of them) even knew how to use a computer.  A bloody COMPUTER!!  Forget 2013, this was 3013 with these guys.  From a professionalism point of view, Scott wouldn't know if it hit him on the nose.  Hurst did well to ditch him at the first opportunity and did his best to make the club more professional.  Incidents of playing up were dealt with (Thanoj, I'Anson, Eagle, Brown, Mackreth etc. etc.) and he badly wanted to use sports science to kick forward.  The non-chairman saw a video on YouTube though that said you didn't need that modern jazz though and as long as the players had jam and peanut butter sandwiches they'll be ok.  Hurst left, found a club who were serious about development and now sit a game away from the Championship.  The non-chairman just tried to claim credit for avoiding relegation back to non-league.

In came Bignot with his skinny jeans and a grey tank top.  Pep Guardiola in every sense of the word, apart from that key ingredient - everything.  He talked a good game, he sounded like he knew was he was doing but ultimately he didn't have a bloody clue.  He tried to bring modern technology to training but unfortunately he found his 4G signal at Cheapside was weak, limiting his ability to deliver a training session from a YouTube video on his phone.

Slade - As mentioned above. TV's and a table.  Modern thinking at its finest.  He wanted the players to talk to each other, what's better than shoving them in front of a TV with 15-to-1 on whilst they eat their chicken dippers and oven chips.  Slade was a dab hand with Microsoft Powerpoint, which went down great for the radio audience.  

I think you are being very very harsh there. Rome wasn't built in a day you know.  ;D

We have huge problems in every area of the club; front of house, in the background, on the pitch, in the boardroom, the playing surface isn't as good as it once was, PR or lack of, media training or lack of, the trust despite their hard work, the stadium and supporter comforts - everything needs updating and investing in.

If Jolley as someone said earlier is not happy with what he has seen, he can either become an all time legend by dragging the club into the 21st century, but sadly once he meets the immovable object that is Fenty he will probably leave him to it, and move on to better things sad to say.

This is the dilema, and is at the heart of any discussion about GTFC; will we ever make any significant progress with an owner in charge who not only makes every wrong decision imaginable but refuses point blank to accept any blame and worse still refuses to change?
Posted by: Ipswin, May 14, 2018, 2:50pm; Reply: 55

will we ever make any significant progress with an owner in charge who not only makes every wrong decision imaginable

My point exactly, Fenty is forever labelled as making every wrong decision, no credit whatsoever for appointing Jolley, yes I know it was almost too late but as everyone thinks Jolley is the dogs balderdash surely Fenty gets just one positive mark

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 14, 2018, 3:12pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Ipswin

My point exactly, Fenty is forever labelled as making every wrong decision, no credit whatsoever for appointing Jolley, yes I know it was almost too late but as everyone thinks Jolley is the dogs balderdash surely Fenty gets just one positive mark

The law of averages suggest that eventually he would get one thing right, so no plus points from me.

Grimsby Town is still a relatively big name in the lower divisions so I would fully expect some high class candidates to apply - lets hope this proves to be the case with Michael Jolley. At least we all (nearly all) are right behind him so that is a good start.
Posted by: LH, May 14, 2018, 3:24pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from diehardmariner

Post of the week won already then. Depressingly bang on.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 14, 2018, 4:18pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Ipswin

If he'd been Fenty's first choice then maybe, but he wasn't.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 14, 2018, 6:32pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Pouton4ever

A £1 million buyout clause for two 3/4 div managers?!?!? A pint of whatever you ve been drinking please chief!

Put that into perspective, according to The the LMA the average managers wage in league two a couple of years go was £50k a year.

Well I can recommend the Doombar I drink down the local, however, I am told, by a guy who financially supports Lincoln’s Junior teams, that Cowleys were appointed on over £100k per annum, prior to recent contract renewal which may be the second this they arrived, plus a rental property.

Also told that buy out clause is correct. I am not saying Lincoln would get that much but is a good starting point!!

Anyway enough about Lincoln MJ is the man 😄😄
Posted by: Meza, May 15, 2018, 1:35pm; Reply: 60
I see Jolleys odds have dropped to 25-1 for Barnsley job.  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 15, 2018, 1:48pm; Reply: 61
Jolley is not leaving to go to Barnsley.... Trust me! 😉
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 15, 2018, 2:35pm; Reply: 62
The board should sit down with MJ after the first 7 to 10 games and see how his recruitment went and early season results have gone.

All being good I would imagine, so then offer him a better deal,

ALL the clubs will know they could get him for peanuts so lets at least make a bit of money out of his leaving.

I would like him to stay for 3 or 4 years at least so offer him that to start with and extend it halfway through,

Like any other forward thinking club would do.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 15, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 63
So Pete do you promise to demand that he's not sacked if we lost ten games before Christmas?
Posted by: Cloudy, May 15, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 64
I am one of the few on here who,for the time being, are quite happy with the 6 month rolling contract.

MJ has done great so far and I sincerely hope he can recruit well and form a team to get us all cheering but let us see how he goes first. Nobody will poach him if he has us 12-14th in League 2 next season and he knows he has to prove himself before getting a chance to move on.

If he gets us up then yes, by all means, offer him a longer deal but remember a managers stock changes very quickly and I do understand the club not wanting to have to pay 2 years salary to get rid if things aren't going as well as we all hope.

Let's hope for a few early signings and also some of those offered deals also put pen to paper very soon
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 15, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 65
I don't see why people get their knickers in such a twist about 6 month rolling contracts. How many times has it disadvantaged us? Once, when Hurst went. Did we get our fingers well and truly burned by giving Newell a massive contract? Yes. Are we absolutely certain that Jolley is good enough to be given huge protection yet? No, he's done 10 games, who knows what his recruitment, long-term man management and adaptability over a season are like. We need to be more cautious, if by Christmas we're punching well and truly above our weight in this league then I'd review but I'd currently too early.
Posted by: davmariner, May 15, 2018, 6:14pm; Reply: 66
Fans are generally very fickle when it comes to things like this. It goes from one extreme to the other. A six month rolling deal is fine, no reason to change it. Jolley still has a lot to prove (and he knows it). Will be interesting to see how he fares with his own players.
Posted by: lukeo, May 15, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 67
I personally like the 6 month rolling contract, it's clever and I'm surprised other clubs haven't done it.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 15, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from lukeo
I personally like the 6 month rolling contract, it's clever and I'm surprised other clubs haven't done it.

It's a good thing if you appoint crap managers because it only costs you 6 months pay to get rid.

It's  a bad thing if you appoint a good manager because it means they can walk fairly easily and we get little by way of compensation.

Surely we have already seen enough to realise Jolley is a good manager?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 15, 2018, 8:14pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from lukeo

It suggests to me that the board are never confident in their selection capability/process and don't want a big pay-off situation. Other clubs, including some at our level opt for greater stability, notably Lincoln and more recently, Cambridge.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 15, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 70
Let the record show:-----

League 2 games only 2016-2018

P     W      D     L     WRatio     Points Per Game
Paul Hurst          14     6     2     6     42.86%     1.43
Marcus Bignot     26     9     7     10     34.62%     1.31
Russell Slade     38     11     10     17     28.95%     1.13
Michael Jolley     10     4     3     3     40.00%     1.50
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, May 15, 2018, 8:28pm; Reply: 71
He has had a great start to his football management career but it is too early to give him a longer contract. Let's see how he gets on with signings in pre season and then if we are in or near the play off places at Christmas then look at improving his contract. I also can't imagine he will be slow at coming forward for a better deal if things are going well.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 15, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 72
The guy worked in the city, I am sure that he can sort out the right financial package for himself.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, May 15, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from The Yard Dog
The guy worked in the city, I am sure that he can sort out the right financial package for himself.

If things are going well he will know what his value as a manager is. It will be interesting to see if the club will meet or get somewhere close to his demands.

Posted by: grimsby pete, May 15, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from GrimRob
So Pete do you promise to demand that he's not sacked if we lost ten games before Christmas?

You have my word Rob  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2018, 10:42pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It suggests to me that the board are never confident in their selection capability/process and don't want a big pay-off situation. Other clubs, including some at our level opt for greater stability, notably Lincoln and more recently, Cambridge.

This. In spades.
Posted by: acko338, May 16, 2018, 2:40pm; Reply: 76
A few managers will be envious of Big Sam Allardyce's next payoff package - £8 million on the line for his remaining 12 months, now he has been sacked !

Big clubs - too much Sky money to throw around - look after your feeder clubs !!!!
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 16, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 77
Talking of too much money in the premier, Sanchez at Manure gets a weekly basic of over £300k plus £75k per appearance. Evidently. His yearly pay is over £20 million, if only I didn't have a paper round (Yosser Hughes)
Posted by: Meza, May 16, 2018, 6:34pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Gaffer58
Talking of too much money in the premier, Sanchez at Manure gets a weekly basic of over £300k plus £75k per appearance. Evidently. His yearly pay is over £20 million, if only I didn't have a paper round (Yosser Hughes)

Giz a job I can do that!!
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 5:34pm