Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, May 3, 2018, 8:36pm
Now caretaker manager at Ipswich
Best player I played against when I was a kid.
Injury stopped him being a top top player.

Who was the best player you guys played against????
Posted by: ginnywings, May 3, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from TAGG
Now caretaker manager at Ipswich
Best player I played against when I was a kid.
Injury stopped him being a top top player.

Who was the best player you guys played against????

Jack Wattam.
Posted by: TAGG, May 3, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ginnywings

Jack Wattam.

Now there was a bloke 👍
Posted by: carrot top, May 3, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 3
Brian Klug was in our Nunny junior team that won everything at that level and he was a year younger than the rest of us in the team. Tony Ford in that team also
Posted by: Cloudy, May 3, 2018, 8:58pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from carrot top
Brian Klug was in our Nunny junior team that won everything at that level and he was a year younger than the rest of us in the team. Tony Ford in that team also

2 school years between Fordy and Bryan
Posted by: livosnose, May 3, 2018, 9:01pm; Reply: 5
Scott Partridge ex Bradford, Bristol City,Brentford and Torquay, son of Malcolm who played for town.  Used to warm the subs bench for Grimsby Schools with Darren Wrack ex town , Walsall and Derby.
Posted by: carrot top, May 3, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 6
Memory not so good as it used to be obviously. He was very good for such a young boy. I just remember he was younger than the ret of us and that's what I was trying to get across Cloudy
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, May 3, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 7
Chris Hargreaves - didn’t realise how good he was till I played against him
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 3, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 8
John Middleton very good goalkeeper shame injury ended his career also played against Chris Woods, of the two John Middleton was the better.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 3, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 9
Gary Lund, who at school was also really good at cricket, rugby, basketball athletics and if memory serves me right  tiddlywinks and top trumps.
Posted by: TAGG, May 3, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 10
Some great footballers from around here.
John Cockerill was or team captain at school.
What great players him and his Glen were 👍
Posted by: Bigdog, May 3, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 11
Had the pleasure of marking Wilkie (extremely quick) and Gary Lund (close control and deadly finisher) through school years..

Best players played against- Luther Blissett, Brian Marwood, Clive Mendonca..

Hardest player - Brian Kilcline, absolute animal, still can feel his elbow in my back and on the top of my head to this day..
Posted by: Croxton, May 3, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 12
Duncan McKenzie. Wintringham were far too strong for our small Grammar School. Stuck out on the wing I saw very little of the ball.
Does anyone recall a 'Pedro' who played for Nunsthorpe Boys in the Intermediate League in the late sixties? Managed by a former Town goalie I believe.
Posted by: Maringer, May 3, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 13
I played against Hargreaves and didn't think much of him from that game. Didn't get past me on the day. However, it is entirely possible (in fact, probable), that he just wasn't trying too hard as it was only a match between the year groups at school!
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 3, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Gary Lund, who at school was also really good at cricket, rugby, basketball athletics and if memory serves me right  tiddlywinks and top trumps.

Conkers?
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 3, 2018, 9:48pm; Reply: 15
Brazilian Romario whilst on holiday in the south of France, while he was still playing and in his prime.
Posted by: barralad, May 3, 2018, 9:48pm; Reply: 16
Drinks when he was at Whitgift. Hell of a player even then.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 3, 2018, 9:59pm; Reply: 17
I played in the same side as Glenn Cockerill. There were some cracking players around in those days in school sides.

A mate of mine played semi professionally and came directly up against Kenny Burns in his later years. My mate rose to a cross above him and powered a header into the net after about 5 mins, turned to Kenny and patted him on the head, then said "time you called it a day mate". He then proceeded to mark my mate out of the game for the other 85 mins, with a pot belly and bandages on his knees. Talking in the clubhouse after the game, Burns said it took him 10 mins to get his joints going.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 3, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings
I played in the same side as Glenn Cockerill. There were some cracking players around in those days in school sides.

A mate of mine played semi professionally and came directly up against Kenny Burns in his later years. My mate rose to a cross above him and powered a header into the net after about 5 mins, turned to Kenny and patted him on the head, then said "time you called it a day mate". He then proceeded to mark my mate out of the game for the other 85 mins, with a pot belly and bandages on his knees. Talking in the clubhouse after the game, Burns said it took him 10 mins to get his joints going.

Played against him in one of my first senior games as a very young lad versus Ilkeston I think. Also against Kevin Hector a few weeks earlier versus Heanor..
Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 3, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 19
Andy Williams   during my time in the Hereford youth team on 2007.

Kinglsy Black at charity match 2005

Wayne Rooney in 2007 in Manchester. ( he kindly played with me and my mates at the park whilst I was visiting them in Manchester.
Posted by: chaos33, May 3, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Chris Hargreaves - didn’t realise how good he was till I played against him

Played with him for several years.
Posted by: TAGG, May 3, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Bri Taylor, Jimmy Rawlings, Trev Rowbotham, Dave Smith, John Fisher to name a few 👍
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 3, 2018, 10:42pm; Reply: 22
Played in a five-a-side team with ex youth player Paul Goodhand who was on another level.  Alex Flett at Cleethorpes Town is one hell of a player locally too.

Once played five-a-side against Peter Bore when he had just been released by Town.  After 5 minutes he turned to my mate and said he was knackered!
Posted by: Grimal, May 3, 2018, 11:26pm; Reply: 23
Played against Ian Nimmo ex Sheffield Wednesday and Donny and ex Town Player Alec Brader, he made a couple of appearances for Town in the early 60's.   I Played in the same Team as ex Forest and England keeper Chris Wood, he was only 14 at the time but was an excellent keeper even at that age.I've also played in the same team as Alec Brader and Dereck Bell  Ex Halifax and Lincoln City. Also played in the same team and against a certain Mr.Dave Boylen, albeit at a much slower pace at Bradley walking football sessions. :)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 4, 2018, 12:26am; Reply: 24
Quoted from TAGG

Bri Taylor, Jimmy Rawlings, Trev Rowbotham, Dave Smith, John Fisher to name a few 👍

Aye, know all them.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 4, 2018, 4:21am; Reply: 25
Quoted from carrot top
Memory not so good as it used to be obviously. He was very good for such a young boy. I just remember he was younger than the ret of us and that's what I was trying to get across Cloudy

Agree, Bryan was exceptional at a young age. The other one who stood out was Paul Bartlett, at a young age had thighs like tree trunks
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 4, 2018, 6:16am; Reply: 26
I tried to mark Quentin Fortune in a schools youth cup game when I was 15 . He was 13 and scored 5 in a 7-2 defeat .
We played the same school the next year , he’d moved to a school in Manchester as Man Utd has signed him and we beat them 5-0 👍👍
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 4, 2018, 7:20am; Reply: 27
In Linc league days played against many ex- Mariners starting with Jimmy Fell at Ross, played with Brian Hill at Market Rasen and then the likes of Boylen and Gray at Drewery Sports and Immingham, Czuzmzn and Wiggington at Skegness and Keith Brown back at Ross.

Played in over 35 league that had ex- professionals side in it and first year team from Sheffield included Emily Hughes, Ronnie Glavin,  Stuart Barraclough and Ernie Moss and second year was Nottingham with Archie Gemmell, Kenny Burns and a number of other ex- Forest players.

Played in friendly v Mariners team that included McDermott and my man to mark was Drinkell who only scored two of the five!

Sunday league marked Big Keith and Jim Kabila and our team had Gary Crosby and Dave Gilbert signed on but Diddy was soon off to Northampton and Crossers played for a season before signing for Grantham than Forest, always remember time he was signing for Forest as it was Christmas time and he missed our annual urine up as he was waiting in for a call from Alex Ferguson who was trying to get him to United, no commitment to the Sunday league night out that lad!!
Posted by: golfer, May 4, 2018, 7:54am; Reply: 28
Cliff Portwood many moons ago
Posted by: 11MARINER11, May 4, 2018, 8:20am; Reply: 29
Les Winters . Made the game look easy .
Posted by: Ruston AT, May 4, 2018, 8:45am; Reply: 30
Viv Anderson when playing for GTFC juniors v Notts Forrest in FA youth cup.

George McClean on barrets he was 40 then I was 17, hardest man I ever played against and the most humble after the game......go George.
Posted by: totalidiot, May 4, 2018, 9:01am; Reply: 31
Played with neil mathews at humberston,didn't play many games for town but went on to have a reasonable career and scored a few for the likes of halifax,lincoln and stockport
Posted by: ginnywings, May 4, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Cloudy

Agree, Bryan was exceptional at a young age. The other one who stood out was Paul Bartlett, at a young age had thighs like tree trunks

I fitted a kitchen and did sundry other work for Paul Bartlett. Non football.  :B
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 4, 2018, 12:07pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Croxton
Duncan McKenzie. Wintringham were far too strong for our small Grammar School. Stuck out on the wing I saw very little of the ball.
Does anyone recall a 'Pedro' who played for Nunsthorpe Boys in the Intermediate League in the late sixties? Managed by a former Town goalie I believe.

Don’t know Pedro but it was George Moulson who ran Nunsthorpe Youth Club football team. George was the goalkeeper who was injured early on in Town’s FA Cup Semi-final defeat to Wolves at Old Trafford in 1939.
Posted by: TAGG, May 4, 2018, 12:30pm; Reply: 34
Looking at all the fantastic footballers this area has produced in past years is amazing.

Wonder why we can only get the odd one now?????😞
Posted by: Caveman, May 4, 2018, 12:33pm; Reply: 35
Peter and Cyril Knowles.
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 4, 2018, 12:36pm; Reply: 36
Occasionally played with Jimmy Lumby , and when I was in the Boy's Brigade, with Brian Bloomer. In schools football Neil Ellis was the most cultured player I played in the same side as.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 4, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 37
Tommy Briggs after he had finished with Town but it was like hitting a brick wall,

Duncan McKenzie  he did not have a very good game that Sunday morning.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 4, 2018, 1:32pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from jock dock tower
Occasionally played with Jimmy Lumby , and when I was in the Boy's Brigade, with Brian Bloomer. In schools football Neil Ellis was the most cultured player I played in the same side as.

We beat Seawave in County Cup semi final back in 1985 and that team had both Neil Ellis and Brian Bloomer playing if. I remember right, also had Keith Brown who was as good a player as you came across in Lincolnshire during the 1980’s
Posted by: Sweden, May 4, 2018, 2:59pm; Reply: 39
Anders Limpar, Kenneth Andersson, Glenn Hysén and Thomas Ravelli.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 4, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 40
Best player I have played in the same team with  Harry Wainman,

7 times for the juniors I think Harry let one goal in the 7 games,

Plus one game with him for Town A.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 4, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Sweden
Anders Limpar, Kenneth Andersson, Glenn Hysén and Thomas Ravelli.

not a bad list sweden. ps any news and views as to how eskilstuna are doing this season? got any thoughts as to which swedish players jolley might be interested in?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 4, 2018, 3:48pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from forza ivano

not a bad list sweden. ps any news and views as to how eskilstuna are doing this season? got any thoughts as to which swedish players jolley might be interested in?

Plus what is your name Sweden and who was you playing for ?

Just being nosey  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from forza ivano

Lost 2, won 3, winning 1 at the moment.
Posted by: Mallyner, May 5, 2018, 10:56am; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

Jack Wattam.

I used to play for Weelsby Rovers and Jack was about 70 at the time. I played him a lovely ball down the wing and when he didn't get to it, his son Barry said, "You should have played that ball 30 years ago Mally. " What a fantastic guy. :)
Posted by: Townee82, May 5, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 45
Believe the guy looking after Ipswich is a different Brian Klug to the one from Grimsby .
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 5, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 46
I was crap, so Dave Smith just in the chairmans challenge type games at BP. Don't mean that disrespectfully to Dave, it's just I've never really played against anyone that good aside from Sunday League / School etc. Dave was absolutely brilliant even at 40 plus, his first touch immaculate every time and I couldn't get anywhere near him. And I've played against him a few times. I did well against Paul Hurst on the right I think, l let him know I was there. Played centre back against Gary Lund as well, Gary a lot older than me, I kept concentrating aside from one moment, you know what happened!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 5, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Townee82
Believe the guy looking after Ipswich is a different Brian Klug to the one from Grimsby .

Its the same one mate he has been down here for years.
Posted by: Townee82, May 5, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 48
There is one born in Grimsby and the other born Coventry one Bryan and the other Brian you'd have to check .
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 5, 2018, 6:38pm; Reply: 49
I don't have to check mate I know he is from Grimsby and he has been at Ipswich years.
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 5, 2018, 6:48pm; Reply: 50
Played against Ian Botham in the scunny Sunday league, he was also playing for scunny reserves at the time, he was an absolute animal, would tackle as if his life depended on it, didn't take any prisoners, see why he was a winner.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 5, 2018, 9:40pm; Reply: 51
Bryan Klug has been at Ipswich for ages, Paul Bartlett was also there for a long time before taking up a role with the FA
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 12:00am