Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 2, 2018, 12:57pm
When we kick off next Season I hope some proper thought goes into this and I actually think MJ might do well here and be able to best exploit it to our advantage? I would like 2-3 youngsters from  Clubs higher up the pyramid with the onus on us to give them game time it`s a shame with the lad from Villa how little he has played due in most part our poor form.I watched Townsend for Scunny last night and he looked what he is an accomplished league 1 player a lot of that down to valuable experience he gained playing for the likes of Town,Carlisle.If we could get a couple of lads in with his potential and raw talent at 18-21 we can only get better
Posted by: Cloudy, May 2, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons
When we kick off next Season I hope some proper thought goes into this and I actually think MJ might do well here and be able to best exploit it to our advantage? I would like 2-3 youngsters from  Clubs higher up the pyramid with the onus on us to give them game time it`s a shame with the lad from Villa how little he has played due in most part our poor form.I watched Townsend for Scunny last night and he looked what he is an accomplished league 1 player a lot of that down to valuable experience he gained playing for the likes of Town,Carlisle.If we could get a couple of lads in with his potential and raw talent at 18-21 we can only get better

Sort of agree but I heard some fans saying on Saturday that we started the game without a single loanee? Many of the loanees dont train with us full time so thats a negative although I accept these are mainly the short term loans

If so and that was the best performance of the season then maybe that says something too??
Posted by: ginnywings, May 2, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 2
There were times earlier in the season when we had what seemed like an entire team of players who were not contracted to us out on the pitch. Slade didn't even know how many we had at one point. Many of them had no long term investment in us staying up, and i think that was one of our problems at the time. Nothing wrong with loanees, but too many can cause issues. I'd like to see Vernam back, and 2 or 3 more of his ilk in various positions.
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 2, 2018, 1:38pm; Reply: 3
Personally I don’t like the use of loan players and would much rather have players signed up with a stake in the club, rather than some other one.

I think loan signings should be used for:
- try before you buy; or
- emergency cover in key positions.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 2, 2018, 2:02pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Belfast Town
Personally I don’t like the use of loan players and would much rather have players signed up with a stake in the club, rather than some other one.

I think loan signings should be used for:
- try before you buy; or
- emergency cover in key positions.

The emergency cover worked well years ago when we signed Todd and Pringle then years later Paterson,Pulis and Till
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 2, 2018, 2:18pm; Reply: 5
Season long loans are sometimes OK but is it a good idea to have more than 1 or 2? Hurst has often fielded 4 or 5 loanees this year at Shrewsbury. We could argue that they would not have done as well without them, especially Henderson in goal, but what happens next? Another 4 or 5 of similar quality are needed just to stand still. I would rather go down the Accrington route and have a bunch of players with a stake in loyalty to the club and to each other and just the odd loanee as needed.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, May 2, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 6
For a contrast, Luton Town had two loanees this season, one of whom they committed to sign once the loan period was over.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 2, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 7
The emergency cover thing doesn't really apply anymore as one month loans aren't an option. There's more of a commitment to loans these days, not sure if this is a good thing really  :-/
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 2, 2018, 5:16pm; Reply: 8
2 or 3 loanees who are in and around the starting squad/ subs bench isn't that bad. For a club our size its a chance to get some quality players into the squad for little cash or risk. But if we were to repeat what we did this season I don't see how it can help the club all that much.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 2, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 9
From memory..

Matt - season long loan, scored THE vital goal....indifferent all season
Kean - keeper brought in for cover who looked very shakey and then "got injured" and was never seen again
Wilkes - Looked bright....but injury interfered
Jackson - scored a goal...then injured
Vernam - looked a very positive player, promising ..but again injury interfered
DJ - season long (? honestly cant remember) ..hit and miss form
Suliman - looked too young and inexperienced for me in reality and looked shaky as a result...if he had been given more of a chance who knows but didnt stamp his authority when he was given a glimpse of a shirt.

the best looking options on this seasons loan front have all been scuppered by injury, the rest havnt been that succesful in truth. We need a good core squad of our own in for next season with a sprinkling of high end loan talent to bolster where required..the ridiculous loan approach of Slade was pretty much an unmitigated flop.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 3, 2018, 6:58am; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club
From memory..

Matt - season long loan, scored THE vital goal....indifferent all season
Kean - keeper brought in for cover who looked very shakey and then "got injured" and was never seen again
Wilkes - Looked bright....but injury interfered
Jackson - scored a goal...then injured
Vernam - looked a very positive player, promising ..but again injury interfered
DJ - season long (? honestly cant remember) ..hit and miss form
Suliman - looked too young and inexperienced for me in reality and looked shaky as a result...if he had been given more of a chance who knows but didnt stamp his authority when he was given a glimpse of a shirt.

the best looking options on this seasons loan front have all been scuppered by injury, the rest havnt been that succesful in truth. We need a good core squad of our own in for next season with a sprinkling of high end loan talent to bolster where required..the ridiculous loan approach of Slade was pretty much an unmitigated flop.

Nowt you can do about injuries but all those loaness and they never really nailed down a spot in the side.I like the try before you buy for older players years ago we did it with Wayne Burnett and Livvo and when you sign youngsters it should be with a commitment to play them if they are deemed good enough Logan,Patterson,Pulis,Til,Townsend,Henderson.My point is if we could get 2-3 players of that calibre added to a small but quality squad we could really get in amongst things top end.The habit of squandering a place in the squad on mediocre junk must stop and I think MJ might well be the man to get the best out of the loan markets.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 3, 2018, 7:01am; Reply: 11
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Nowt you can do about injuries but all those loaness and they never really nailed down a spot in the side.I like the try before you buy for older players years ago we did it with Wayne Burnett and Livvo and when you sign youngsters it should be with a commitment to play them if they are deemed good enough Logan,Patterson,Pulis,Til,Townsend,Henderson.My point is if we could get 2-3 players of that calibre added to a small but quality squad we could really get in amongst things top end.The habit of squandering a place in the squad on mediocre junk must stop and I think MJ might well be the man to get the best out of the loan markets.

I see what you did there.   ;D

Also, you have a PM

Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 3, 2018, 7:35am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last

I see what you did there.   ;D

Also, you have a PM

15 all
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 9:52pm