Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 1, 2018, 11:50am
The winner against County obviously falls into this important late goals category.

I could think of four more: Any othersr?

The 2 impressive last minute winners in the League Cup away to Liverpool and Everton.  These 2 wins gave us glory, national publicity and some cash.

The injury time winner against FGR at Wembley. Although not technically a winning goal, it did confirm our return to the FL beyond any doubt.   It also eliminated all the tension and nerves that the fans still had for the remaining few minutes.

We can do better that last minute winners.  We had a last second winner at Wembley against Bournemouth.  Our famous golden goal, and in front of the massed Town fans.  We got a cup and trophy from this goal.  It is not nearly as important though as the late 93rd min winner v Notts County though, which confirmed our FL status.

So, the last goal we scored was the most important late goal since.....................whenever.  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 1, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 1
If MJ  can get this side scoring late goal, I wonder what he can with his own players, exciting times ahead ( I hope ), hopefully get some investment if we are serious about championship in 5 years, late goals could just see us promoted next season maybe and that’s a big maybe
Posted by: RichMariner, May 1, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 2
Talking of late goals...

I'm not sure how many fans were thinking it at the time, but Saturday's win reminded me a bit of that bonkers match we played against Woking a few years back.

Think we were losing 1-0 for a long time, equalised in the 90th, then conceded straight after, then got a 94th min pen that LJL scored to make it 2-2.

It crossed my mind as County were pushing for a second equaliser but thankfully the ref blew the final whistle!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 1, 2018, 2:55pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from RichMariner
Talking of late goals...

I'm not sure how many fans were thinking it at the time, but Saturday's win reminded me a bit of that bonkers match we played against Woking a few years back.

Think we were losing 1-0 for a long time, equalised in the 90th, then conceded straight after, then got a 94th min pen that LJL scored to make it 2-2.

It crossed my mind as County were pushing for a second equaliser but thankfully the ref blew the final whistle!

I wonder if you are the only fan who can remember what sounds like a great game against, er...Woking!  ;D

Only kidding, if it was a home match I would have been there, but I cannot recall it myself.
Posted by: grimps, May 1, 2018, 3:14pm; Reply: 4
I cant ever remember us getting any late goals under Hurst , I think he'd usually shut up shop after 65 minutes
Posted by: Cloudy, May 1, 2018, 3:35pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from RichMariner
Talking of late goals...

An evening game IIRC?
Posted by: Abdul19, May 1, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 6
Garry Hill had a big strop after the game  ;D And Tounkara scored a decent goal too I think.

Disley scored a 90th minute winner at their place as well that year.
Posted by: carrot top, May 1, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 7
One of my favourites was against Cambridge 1st April 1972. An easter game in a mud bath. Packed in the Osmond end, 90th minute. Think it was Mike Hickman. This was the day after we beat Reading 2-0 at home. Then we followed it up with an away win at Stockport the following monday. 3 games in 4 days
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 1, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimps
I cant ever remember us getting any late goals under Hurst , I think he'd usually shut up shop after 65 minutes

Yeah definitely no late, significant goals under Hurst.......
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 1, 2018, 5:33pm; Reply: 9
Belgium 0 England 1 World Cup 1990 (David Platt 119) before he joined Coronation Street.  :)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 1, 2018, 7:06pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from RichMariner
Talking of late goals...

Remember that game well. It was a night game and I remember everyone being nervous when LJL put the ball down but that draw felt like a win!
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 1, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Abdul19
Garry Hill had a big strop after the game  ;D And Tounkara scored a decent goal too I think.

Disley scored a 90th minute winner at their place as well that year.

Maybe he was upset as that was the worst Grimsby team he’d ever seen 😊
Posted by: ginnywings, May 1, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 12
Was that the game where some of the crowd gasped and booed when LJL grabbed the ball and put it on the spot to take the penalty? He put it away expertly if i remember right.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 1, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 13
The goal which I believe is the photo as you enter the Findus stand which I think was an equaliser against Scunthorpe deep into injury time which I also believe was famous game when Welbourne and Rathbone were sent off for fighting and got an unbelievable 8 week ban.

Sure Les or someone with better memory will correct me if I’m wrong but the goal was a reality.

Played against Welbourne when he turned out for Appleby Frodingham and probably the dirtiest player who ever had the pleasure of kicking (& spitting at) me.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, May 1, 2018, 8:28pm; Reply: 14
Jim Dobbin

Was living in Newcastle at the time so that was a very important goal to me
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 2, 2018, 12:33am; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings
Was that the game where some of the crowd gasped and booed when LJL grabbed the ball and put it on the spot to take the penalty? He put it away expertly if i remember right.

That happened at Dartford. That might have been the start of his remarkable scoring run.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 2, 2018, 1:09am; Reply: 16

The Matt late winner against County tops the list for me.....yeah we had another game to get safe but it could have still gone pear shaped.
Posted by: barralad, May 2, 2018, 8:29am; Reply: 17
Quoted from carrot top
One of my favourites was against Cambridge 1st April 1972. An easter game in a mud bath. Packed in the Osmond end, 90th minute. Think it was Mike Hickman. This was the day after we beat Reading 2-0 at home. Then we followed it up with an away win at Stockport the following monday. 3 games in 4 days

Good memory mate...
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 10:21pm