Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, April 28, 2018, 9:09pm
I'm interested to hear thoughts on which of those two wins held the most importance? For me it was today. I feel even if we'd lost vs Veggie Green, we had a good manager and the nucleus of a good squad and after a summer of reshuffling we'd have gone again in the National League the next season, challenging for promotion.

However, if we'd have lost today, and somehow gone down (couldn't be relegated today I get that) then we could easily have done a York or Stockport. Many, many fans would have lost all hope and abandoned us, which would severly affect the playing budget and we may never have recovered.

Perhaps the question should actually be, what was more important... getting promoted from non-league or surviving relegation?

All answers and opinions welcome.

I'll end my saying "I flipping love you Michael Jolley.... You should be given the freedom of the Town and never have to buy a drink again. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUUU!!!!
Posted by: Skrill, April 28, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 1
MJ is making Grimsby Town Great Again

(Let the hype begin)
Posted by: Hagrid, April 28, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 2
I think the chesterfield win was arguably more important
Posted by: LH, April 28, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 3
It’s harder to get promoted to this division than get relegated from it as we know well. The FGR win will be remembered forever - today can’t be forgotten soon enough.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, April 28, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 4
As important as today's game was, taking 6 points off Chesterfield and 4 points off Barnet has been instrumental in our league survival.....relegation could have been the end for the club as we know it.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 28, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 5
I can't believe you are even asking the question. One is a cup game, the other league game. Every point we have gained this season is equally important. The three today are just as important as three in August.
Posted by: kevikov, April 28, 2018, 9:40pm; Reply: 6
I'd argue the Braintree semi final second leg was the more important game that year as well. Gave us the belief to go beat the vegans at Wembley. Out of the poll in question, Wembley meant more, we still could go on to get enough points with another game next week.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, April 28, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 7
I get all your points guys so I've changed the question... What has been more important for the club... Winning Promotion 2 years ago or surviving relegation this season?
Posted by: chaos33, April 28, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 8
:) so the essential meaning of the question hasn't changed then, yeah?  :)

Posted by: kevikov, April 28, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 9
You've lost me now, can't have one without the other! I'd maybe rather have had neither!!  ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, April 29, 2018, 4:03am; Reply: 10
We had to get promoted 2 years ago to be in a league 2 relegation battle this season, so which one is more important is a moot point. The goal from Matt today meant more than the goal from Arnold at Wembley. The Arnold goal was just cake icing. The goal from Matt meant 2 points and safety. The Arnold goal though was more emotional. Either way, both goals will live long in the memory.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, April 29, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings
We had to get promoted 2 years ago to be in a league 2 relegation battle this season, so which one is more important is a moot point. The goal from Matt today meant more than the goal from Arnold at Wembley. The Arnold goal was just cake icing. The goal from Matt meant 2 points and safety. The Arnold goal though was more emotional. Either way, both goals will live long in the memory.

I see your point Ginny, but the question was what was more important in terms of our future as a football club. If we hadn't hit promoted vs Veggie Green, we'd have re-grouped and had a real stab at it again the following year, but if we'd gone down again this season, fans would have walked, MJ may not have stayed on and we could easily have slipped down the leagues or folded, such would be the impact IMO.

Posted by: ginnywings, April 29, 2018, 1:16pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I see your point Ginny, but the question was what was more important in terms of our future as a football club. If we hadn't hit promoted vs Veggie Green, we'd have re-grouped and had a real stab at it again the following year, but if we'd gone down again this season, fans would have walked, MJ may not have stayed on and we could easily have slipped down the leagues or folded, such would be the impact IMO.

Well, i'm just glad we won't have to find out what would have happened had we been relegated.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 8:52am