Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2018, 1:13pm
According to their nutty chairman Dale Vince anyway.  ??)

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/sport/16183977.Vince__We_are_heading_for_the_Championship/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 27, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 1
So that means we might well be meeting them there in five years time then?  ;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 27, 2018, 1:23pm; Reply: 2
It's so pointless. They probably will end up in the championship, have a couple of years up there until he gets bored of sticking his childrens' inheritance into a football club nobody gives a stuff about.
Posted by: Meza, April 27, 2018, 1:35pm; Reply: 3
Championship with 1500 max fans is ridiculous the bloke is delusional.....im amazed some of the better players they have are at the club having to play in front of very small crowds lol.  Nope personally i think they'll go down next year along with Macclesfield
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 4
Probably a (marginally) less bonkers statement than the one at Jolley's unveiling!

Nowt wrong with ambition though!
Posted by: Skrill, April 27, 2018, 2:03pm; Reply: 5
I reckon Lincoln fans think they'll be in the Championship next season, with their MASSIVE fanbase
Posted by: RichMariner, April 27, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 6
This anecdote sums up the desire and interest in football in the Forest Green area...

A couple of years ago I went to see some in-laws down near Gloucester. A friend of theirs called in and we chatted about football. He said he had a soft spot for West Ham but since his local team had been doing well he decided to go and watch them more instead.

His local team was Forest Green.

'Ah!' I said. 'I know them well.'

'Who do you support?' he asked.

'Grimsby.'

'Ah right. Which division are they in?'

WHICH EFFING DIVISION WERE WE IN?! Unbelievable. Claimed he liked football, claimed he watched FGR and was a fan, and didn't know Grimsby were in the same division - or had been in the same division - for the last six years.

There will be some genuine football fans down there, some genuine diehard FGR fans. Not many, but they'll exist. A few hundred maybe, at most.

The rest are people like this guy. A fleeting interest in the team, no real energy, passion, heritage or history of supporting the club. No real interest in the wider football world.

You can't sustain a football club at a higher level if there isn't interest there. Vince would've been better starting his play-thing somewhere that actually likes and wants football.
Posted by: Kris2, April 27, 2018, 3:27pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Meza
Championship with 1500 max fans is ridiculous the bloke is delusional.....im amazed some of the better players they have are at the club having to play in front of very small crowds lol.  Nope personally i think they'll go down next year along with Macclesfield

They don't care how many people they play in front of. People cheering for you doesn't pay the bills. If we paid more then we'd have some better players too. Nobody comes to a club because of the fans, regardless of lip service they pay coming in.
Posted by: Bigdog, April 27, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin

Forget their fanbase or history compared to ours. The sad reality is that due to Vince's wealth and being able to pay more to players, they're in a much better position than us to achieve that aim.

Much less of an unsubstantiated claim than Philip Day..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 27, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 9
I wonder if Russell Slade is interested in the Head of Recruitment role?
Posted by: heppy88, April 27, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 10
At least he doesnt try to rip the fans off (Home or away). Just paid £16 for a ticket which I beleive is fair and reasonable.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 27, 2018, 9:22pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin

and we will be in a new stadium in two years and playing in the Championship in 5 (blink2) ..........only trouble is he has the financial clout to at least supply the money required..never any guarantees but having ready access to the funding puts him in pole position.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 9:43pm