Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 26, 2018, 1:24pm
So there are reports that the FA have received a bid for £800 million for Wembley.

I've got to say I hope it isn't sold. An iconic part of footballing legacy and the home of English football for a century.
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 26, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from horsforthmariner
So there are reports that the FA have received a bid for £800 million for Wembley.

I've got to say I hope it isn't sold. An iconic part of footballing legacy and the home of English football for a century.

I hope it is.  The iconic part went (for me) when they re-vamped it and got rid of the twin towers.  Sell it, and share International matches and cup finals around the Country.

Posted by: ginnywings, April 26, 2018, 1:32pm; Reply: 2
Couldn't care less. It's now a monstrous corporate bowl. It is a good stadium, but it just represents the lop sided nature of football in this country, where all the wealth goes to the top. It's a massively expensive day out now to Wembley, so i'd be quite happy if play offs were somewhere smaller and more provincial. Besides, us Town fans have done Wembley to death.  ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, April 26, 2018, 2:27pm; Reply: 3
As long as it's there and hosts football matches I don't care who owns it
Posted by: GrimRob, April 26, 2018, 2:29pm; Reply: 4
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/wembley-for-sale-shahid-khan-wants-to-buy-stadium-as-fulham-us-billionaire-owner-makes-sensational-a3824171.html
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 26, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 5
Why not? The FA has just about knackered everything else football wise. Might as well put the whole lot out to tender to the highest bidder.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 26, 2018, 2:47pm; Reply: 6
Quick some one tell them we done mind sharing with the Falcons if they build us a stadium in Grimsby instead.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Cloudy, April 26, 2018, 2:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Quick some one tell them we done mind sharing with the Falcons if they build us a stadium in Grimsby instead.  ;D ;D ;D

Jacksonville Mariners
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, April 26, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 8
I'd rather England games were staged around the country anyways.
Posted by: Grim74, April 26, 2018, 5:59pm; Reply: 9
Yes sell it as its means nothing to me since the old Wembley was knocked down I agree it's just a coprate bowl of excrement, I've hated it ever since they started staging the FA cup semi finals there, for me when I think of the new Wembley I just think rip-off!  nothing to do with the fans anymore it's all about the money, so get it sold good riddance and throw in the Monarchy as well buy one get one free should do it.
Posted by: Dan, April 26, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 10
You always come across as such a happy man.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 26, 2018, 7:55pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Grim74
Yes sell it as its means nothing to me since the old Wembley was knocked down I agree it's just a coprate bowl of excrement, I've hated it ever since they started staging the FA cup semi finals there, for me when I think of the new Wembley I just think rip-off!  nothing to do with the fans anymore it's all about the money, so get it sold good riddance and throw in the Monarchy as well buy one get one free should do it.

I disagree. You'd get more splitting up the lots, and selling them one Royal at a time.

* You could probably chuck in the relevant spouse and kids, so each multi-billionaire could have their own royal family
Posted by: Rick12, April 26, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Agree.Tradition for me is key.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 26, 2018, 10:14pm; Reply: 13
I am a traditionalist. I hate the PL, I hate the way the top clubs have turned the FA Cup into a Mickey Mouse competition with weak teams, I hate the way the game is being tinkered with over VAR just to pander to a US football type game scenario, I hate the way Sky is allowed to ruin our national game. The England set up has been crap for years, the FA could not manage a urine party in a public toilet ..... but .......

Wembley has gone, at least the one I liked from my childhood has. The architects’ dream house is a mismanaged replacement that has cost a fortune, some of it from me and you. So why not let the FA be a customer? Why not get the public money back and let the FA hire stadia across the country for England games? As long as the deal specifies certain circumstances where FA needs have priority I can see no problem.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 26, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 14
Echo that RRC. At least games like the FA Trophy Final and lower league playoffs will be relieved of the (FA's) need (for them) to be played at Wembley  :)
Posted by: Abdul19, April 26, 2018, 10:49pm; Reply: 15
The FA Trophy (and Vase) final has always been at Wembley hasn't it (apart from when it got knocked down)?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 26, 2018, 10:53pm; Reply: 16
Dunno Abdul. I think the forerunner, the Amateur Cup was, but not sure about the Trophy. But usually for those games the crowd rattles round in there.
Posted by: BraStrap, April 26, 2018, 10:59pm; Reply: 17
Can't understand why anyone would prefer the old Wembley. It was crap. The seats were miles from pitch and very basic. The facilities were limited.

The new Wembley is vastly better. The view is superb from every seat, the catering is far superior and the toilets clean.
Posted by: gaz57, April 26, 2018, 11:26pm; Reply: 18
They could sell Wembley and use the money to build a new national stadium in the midlands.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 26, 2018, 11:31pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Dunno Abdul. I think the forerunner, the Amateur Cup was, but not sure about the Trophy. But usually for those games the crowd rattles round in there.

Aye that's true. And nearly freezes to death if the final's in bloody march ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 26, 2018, 11:38pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from gaz57
They could sell Wembley and use the money to build a new national stadium in the midlands.

Should do that with the Houses of Parliament which is going to cost billions to bring up to modern standards.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 27, 2018, 12:03am; Reply: 21
Quoted from BraStrap
Can't understand why anyone would prefer the old Wembley. It was crap. The seats were miles from pitch and very basic. The facilities were limited.

The new Wembley is vastly better. The view is superb from every seat, the catering is far superior and the toilets clean.

and smelt of cat urine and crap, bit like the top of the main stand
Posted by: Maringer, April 27, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 22
It's not an authentic footballing experience if you're not wading through pools of urine and wads of screwed up toilet paper to get to the urinals. Modern day stadia have taken all the authenticity put of the game. :)
Posted by: golfer, April 27, 2018, 1:35pm; Reply: 23
Snow flake Lineker said it's a good idea to sell Wembley- SO KEEP IT!
Posted by: GrimRob, April 27, 2018, 2:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from gaz57

Build it at Great Coates and we can share it. We're in the middle of the county, just a bit to one side  :)
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 27, 2018, 5:11pm; Reply: 25
If it was privately owned could that mean a significant rise in the cost of tickets, just wondering in case we make the play-off final next year...........

.....and the FA Trophy Final.
Posted by: nightrider, April 27, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 26
Couldn't give a crap who owns it. It's just a stadium. Didn't it cost more and take a longer to build than was originally planned? Built by a German company wasn't it
If it was flattened tomorrow would it make any difference? The cup final being the exception
Posted by: 137 (Guest), April 27, 2018, 5:55pm; Reply: 27
Well it's just the businesspeople who are running our game being businesspeople, isn't it?

As a fan I rather resent being viewed as a customer.

Customers: presumably satisfied returners plus a few hopeful first-timers. Your very presence in their establishment signifies hope or approval.

Fans: I don't care how much you paid for the football club because what you bought was built with fans' money anyway.
          You're just temporary....it's our establishment. We can do 3 20+ winless streaks, lest you forget.

Have had a few bevies btw...

Wouldn't it be...well, wonderful, if JF could move away in a dignified manner. The club's image could stand it.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 27, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from gaz57

Or sell it and take back the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park ( West Ham’s ground) back, since we already pay so much of their bills anyway.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 27, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from nightrider
Couldn't give a crap who owns it. It's just a stadium. Didn't it cost more and take a longer to build than was originally planned? Built by a German company wasn't it
If it was flattened tomorrow would it make any difference? The cup final being the exception

Spurs would have to play at the Hive until White Hart Lane is completed.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 27, 2018, 10:37pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from BraStrap

Because it had history...because it was special....because by and large you had to work damn fking hard to get a game there...
Spurs play home games there, semi finals are played there FFS, aside from the "arch" its a soulless concrete bowl just like many other modern stadia.
I stood at the old Wembley yeas ago and watched games, i was lucky enough to see MY team run out there TWICE in 98...the twin towers, the dog track...completely iconic IMO.
I would ask any of the younger generation ie under 25 ...do they view Wembley as special ?
For anybody over 30 i doubt they feel any affinity with the place at all.
Posted by: Rick12, April 28, 2018, 6:54am; Reply: 31
Quoted from moosey_club

Because it had history...because it was special....because by and large you had to work damn fking hard to get a game there...
Spurs play home games there, semi finals are played there FFS, aside from the "arch" its a soulless concrete bowl just like many other modern stadia.
I stood at the old Wembley yeas ago and watched games, i was lucky enough to see MY team run out there TWICE in 98...the twin towers, the dog track...completely iconic IMO.
I would ask any of the younger generation ie under 25 ...do they view Wembley as special ?
For anybody over 30 i doubt they feel any affinity with the place at all.
Spot on

I remember I went on one of  them tours at the old Wembley stadium.It was near dusk and just being there in the stadium was awe inspiring. So much history and magic.

Whatever people say about the old ground it had a nostalgia that could never be replaced or no money could be.The icing on the cake being that we won the world cup there.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 28, 2018, 8:38am; Reply: 32
Don't enjoy the new Wembley, it's all wrong and has been reduced to a corporate statement. This is now the chance to literally bite the bloody hand off the geezer wanting to pay for it.

There's no aura or mystique about it anymore. There's no feeling of everything it used to be. Its the same as the Olympic stadium, in being that its a new building lump.

Take the games around the country (it works in other countries) and allow fans a cheaper way to see England play. Take games to the cities where people don't often get chance to see the national team play, and not having to fork out a small fortune for the privilege
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 10:49am