Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sussexmariner, April 21, 2018, 5:35pm
To the pub next to Swindon train station,

Town lacking in quality players as we all know but again, all gave 100% for the manager. A great save from Macca mid way through the 2nd half but really no other clear cut chances for them, clear hand ball for their disallowed goal and I thought a clear penalty as their player clipped cardwell’s ankle.

Great scenes after the final whistle with Jolley and the fans,

A good day to be a town fan!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 21, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 1
Great effort from the players and a really well organised away performance.

If Harry Cardwell can have some quality coached into him and be a bit more composed he could end up being a really useful player. He ran himself out and never gave up on anything, the lad deserves a goal. He does have a real knack for winning pens though.
Posted by: barralad, April 21, 2018, 5:49pm; Reply: 2
Agree with both these posts. Would add that Collins was immense today and a great substitution to bring on Davis- very clever calm player.
Macca's save second half was top drawer. Swindon were a poor imitation of the side that played at B..P. Glad Brown P got nowhere near the Town job
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 21, 2018, 6:24pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from barralad
Agree with both these posts. Would add that Collins was immense today and a great substitution to bring on Davis- very clever calm player.
Macca's save second half was top drawer. Swindon were a poor imitation of the side that played at B..P. Glad Brown P got nowhere near the Town job

He couldn’t have got much nearer to it. He was offered it before Jolley was.
Posted by: barralad, April 21, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He couldn’t have got much nearer to it. He was offered it before Jolley was.

I'm not sure about that...
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 21, 2018, 7:03pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from barralad

I'm not sure about that...

Come on. The club have said they had talks with him and he’s obviously made it public he was offered the job till the end of the season.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, April 21, 2018, 7:08pm; Reply: 6
Just back - to sunny Bristol. Two centre backs were immense today..won us the game. Fans amazing - The Burnett song!
Posted by: GrimRob, April 21, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 7
Rode our luck at times and the penalty was manna from heaven. Collins was immense, Hooper put a real shift in tracking back and defending. Jubilant scenes at the end.

https://youtu.be/DWkgzMNoRJo
Posted by: Abdul19, April 21, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 8
Hurst-esque away performance. Every single player gave everything today, thought Collins and Rose were very good. Great pen again (was a bit worried that his daft yellow could haunt us in the second half but no matter). Nervy and yet surprisingly comfortable in the end, apart from one save I don't think McKeown had much to do, thought they were very poor.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 21, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 9
You all sounded great on the radio how many went?
Posted by: blundellpork, April 21, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 10
Just back.

Great weather and an enjoyable away day. It’s clear that we lack quality, but you can’t fault the lads effort. We rode our luck at times (goal correctly ruled out for handball, they hit the crossbar, great save from McKeown), but we dug deep and got the result. Wonder if Jolley realised our best way of collecting points was to keep winning penalties...  ;D
Posted by: forza ivano, April 21, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 11
Agree with much of the above. Rose n Collins were motm imho. sat just behind roses partner n son who is a really cutey.Swindon were really poor but they still hit the bar had a goal disallowed and would be equalised but for wor ldy from james.. Yet although the last 45 lasted forever we were pretty comfortable.
Today was a re affirmation of what we know.this is an awfully poor team who try hard.there is no pace no c creativity and no goalscoring threat. First half we basically played with 9 men with Woolford and Hooper isolated ineffectual and useless on the left.side.ball Johnson had a torrid Afternoon and it was a massive relief when the calm and serene Davies replaced him to calm everything down. Second half he movedWoodford more central and rose sat in front of the  back 4 which worked much better giving us much more control and calmness.fox also improved greatly second half which helped. Summerfield tried hard but had a bit of an off day.cardwell n Hooper tried hard but never look like they could actually score a goal. Clifton was v good helped by jolle y coaching him through the first half. First half was Strange. good for twenty mins then went to pieces disorganization confusion shanked clearances arguments and disunity.I just wonder if jolle y tried something a little bet different and it didn't work.certainly the second half reorganization worked great and by Christ did we need it.
Nowhere near safe as i see Barnet winning their next two but certainly a step forward.hate watching gtfc at present it's just too emotionally draining g!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 21, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano
Agree with much of the above. Rose n Collins were motm imho. sat just behind roses partner n son who is a really cutey.Swindon were really poor but they still hit the bar had a goal disallowed and would be equalised but for wor ldy from james.. Yet although the last 45 lasted forever we were pretty comfortable.
Today was a re affirmation of what we know.this is an awfully poor team who try hard.there is no pace no c creativity and no goalscoring threat. First half we basically playwright 9 men with Woodford and Hooper isolated ineffectual and useless on the left.ball Johnson had a torrid Afternoon and it was a massive relief when the calm and serene Davies replaced him to calm everything down. Second half remove Woodford more central and rose sat in front of comeback 4 which worked much better giving us much more control and calmness.fox also improved greatly second half which helped. Summerfield tried hard but had a bit of an off day.farewell n Hooper tried hard whenever look like they could actually score a goal. Clifton was v good helped by unsuspecting him through the first half. First half was Strangelove good for twenty mins then went to pieces disorganization confusion thanked clearances arguments and disunity.I just wonder if jolle y tried something a little bet different and it didn't work.certainly the second half reorganization worked a great and by Christ did we need it.
Nowhere near safe as i see Barnet winning their next two but bother step forward.hate watching gtfc at present it's just too emotionally draining g!

I think we got that. ;D
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, April 21, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from forza ivano
Today was a re affirmation of what we know.this is an awfully poor team who try hard.there is no pace no c creativity and no goalscoring threat. First half we basically playwright 9 men with Woodford and Hooper isolated ineffectual and useless on the left.ball Johnson had a torrid Afternoon and it was a massive relief when the calm and serene Davies replaced him to calm everything down. Second half remove Woodford more central and rose sat in front of comeback 4 which worked much better giving us much more control and calmness.fox also improved greatly second half which helped. Summerfield tried hard but had a bit of an off day.farewell n Hooper tried hard whenever look like they could actually score a goal. Clifton was v good helped by unsuspecting him through the first half. First half was Strangelove good for twenty mins then went to pieces disorganization confusion thanked clearances arguments and disunity.I just wonder if jolle y tried something a little bet different and it didn't work.certainly the second half reorganization worked a great and by Christ did we need it.
Nowhere near safe as i see Barnet winning their next two but bother step forward.hate watching gtfc at present it's just too emotionally draining g!

Been on the ale Forza? 🤔😉😂
Posted by: AndyGTFC, April 21, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 14
Huge, huge victory. Nobody can say Jolley isn't improving performances, he's doing his best with a squad that lacks quality and we're one point away from staying up now.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 21, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from forza ivano

Has someone been drinking before posting? Celebrating victory is though an acceptable reason for a post that appears to have been worded in code!!!  Let’s hope there are loads more incoherent posts next Saturday night 😄
Posted by: forza ivano, April 21, 2018, 8:42pm; Reply: 16
Only had acouple.Amazon fire is useless.have edited it appropriately!
Posted by: Teesknees, April 21, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from forza ivano
Today was a re affirmation of what we know.this is an awfully poor team who try hard.there is no pace no c creativity and no goalscoring threat. First half we basically played with 9 men with Woolford and Hooper isolated ineffectual and useless on the left.side.ball Johnson had a torrid Afternoon and it was a massive relief when the calm and serene Davies replaced him to calm everything down. Second half he movedWoodford more central and rose sat in front of the  back 4 which worked much better giving us much more control and calmness.fox also improved greatly second half which helped. Summerfield tried hard but had a bit of an off day.cardwell n Hooper tried hard but never look like they could actually score a goal. Clifton was v good helped by jolle y coaching him through the first half. First half was Strange. good for twenty mins then went to pieces disorganization confusion shanked clearances arguments and disunity.I just wonder if jolle y tried something a little bet different and it didn't work.certainly the second half reorganization worked great and by Christ did we need it.
Nowhere near safe as i see Barnet winning their next two but certainly a step forward.hate watching gtfc at present it's just too emotionally draining g!

Oh deep joy!
This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best. But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, April 21, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Teesknees

Oh deep joy!
This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best. But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd.

Couldn't agree more!
Posted by: Tommy, April 21, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 19
Wasn't at the game. I assumed we'd set up the same as last week apart but with Clifton in place of Dembele.

Forza's post suggests we didn't start with Woolford in a central 3.

How did we set up from the start it wasn't Rose sitting behind Woolford + Summerfield with Clifton and Hooper wide?
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 21, 2018, 9:34pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Teesknees

Oh deep joy!

Deep joy indeed. I’m outside the Clurdy and these Americancansare all fooly confuasble with the fattly singing around these parts Mariners in a winningfold smiler tone.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 21, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 21
Just back, a gritty well organised performance where the lads worked their rocks off to get an essential 3 points. What we lack in quality we made up for in application, work rate and looking at the game sticking to the plan.  

The 4 - 1 - 4 -1 works well away from home by the looks of it as despite a top quality save from Macca and them hitting the wood work, can't remember seeing that TBH I'm not convinced Town looked in too much trouble considering the difference in league position. If we only had more quality and composure in the final 3rd we would not be gong through this dog fight.

I've not seen the penalty on anything other than my mobile so far but it looks like shall we say it was "won" by Cardwell. Although the keeper got close to saving it Mitch Rose once again stuck 2 fingers up to those who have suggested he does not care.

The 2nd half was inevitably nervy but not as we where defending for our lives but more about everyone was just waiting for a "typical town" moment which I'm glad to say never came.

It appears that the players are responding to having a plan rather than just hoofing it forward Slade ball style.

The players stood up today..........

Macca - Assured, and when required he made a top draw save, again!
RHB - Did o.k. but looked like he was blowing a bit after the break on a hot day
Foxy -  As above
Collins - Immense
Clarke - Good
Summers - The performance level we have been used to this season, fit as a flea this lad.
Rose - Good game and once again showed balls of steel
Woolford - Working harder every week and fits well into today's system
Clifton - Well all I ca say is that you can see what this means to him, best game yet for Town
Hooper - Keep starting him he will come good sooner or later, all about confidence with this lad.
Cardwell - A great shift from a young lad in the lone role, he does need someone closer to him though.  

Subs - Davis brought an experienced cool head, Matt didn't look fit TBH and Suleiman was an odd addition in right mid field, but I guess we won so it doesn't matter.

The Manager - Outwitted the person who if stories are o be believed turned us down.

The fans - Top class as usual away from home and the bit when MJ came over at the end was really good to see, he's still massively learning but one thing he clearly gets is how much it means to us.

Personally I still think it will go down to the last day but everyone involved with GTFC deserves some credit tonight.

UTM!

Posted by: Badger57, April 21, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from forza ivano
Only had acouple.Amazon fire is useless.have edited it appropriately!

Yes, slow and excrement. Wish I hadn't bought mine!  :o

Posted by: Heisenberg, April 21, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Deep joy indeed. I’m outside the Clurdy and these Americancansare all fooly confuasble with the fattly singing around these parts Mariners in a winningfold smiler tone.

?
Posted by: friskneymariner, April 21, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Heisenberg

?

You must me too young for Professor Stanley Unwin.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 21, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GrimRob
Rode our luck at times and the penalty was manna from heaven. Collins was immense, Hooper put a real shift in taking back and defending. Jubillant scenes at end.  https://youtu.be/DWkgzMNoRJo

Clearly lots of southern-based exiles there; apparently we’re “staying op”, old chap😀. Jolley good show......
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 21, 2018, 10:14pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from friskneymariner

You must me too young for Professor Stanley Unwin.

Born in ‘75, so I’m ecstatic you’ve suggested I’m young!!
Posted by: wigworld, April 21, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

That place across the road from the Korova Milk Bar?

Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, April 21, 2018, 10:37pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tommy
Wasn't at the game. I assumed we'd set up the same as last week apart but with Clifton in place of Dembele.

Forza's post suggests we didn't start with Woolford in a central 3.

How did we set up from the start it wasn't Rose sitting behind Woolford + Summerfield with Clifton and Hooper wide?

We did, think Forza must have had a few drinks.
Posted by: Cloudy, April 21, 2018, 10:58pm; Reply: 29
Gutsy and organised. Defended well and restricted a poor Swindon side to very little.

Watched the penalty again and I am not convinced that it was a foul. Appeared Cardwell tripped over his own legs BUT it is about time we got a stroke of fortune.

We may well need something next week to make sure of our status.
Posted by: sydney, April 21, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 30
Look I know we aren’t safe yet as I think mad dog will get Barnet really up for last 2 games
Just celebrating the moment after a gritty all in performance against a suprisingly poor Swindon Side
All Players put in a shift
Any videos of what MJ said to fans at end?
All Swindon I spoke to said we Deserved it and wished me / us all the best
It could be worse we could have lost today and we would only be 2 points above the trip to hell
Come on Town!
Posted by: LH, April 21, 2018, 11:12pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Heisenberg

Grimsby Pete and Barralad had been retired ten years by then!
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 21, 2018, 11:16pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from LH

Grimsby Pete and Barralad had been retired ten years by then!

No chance of any of us seeing the new stadium   :-/
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 21, 2018, 11:30pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm 12  ;)  and there's no chance of me seeing it either.
Posted by: barralad, April 21, 2018, 11:32pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from promotion plaice

As a former servant of the Crown it has been suggested in some circles that I "retired" aged 19 3/4.
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 21, 2018, 11:52pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Heisenberg

21 years younger than me you young whippersnapper you!

Posted by: forza ivano, April 22, 2018, 12:29am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

We did, think Forza must have had a few drinks.

Yes I have but woolford n Hooper were deffo marooned out left first half.Woodford came in central second half and narrowed things down.They had no pace out side which helped hugely..Davies came on and immediately shut down their lhs
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 23, 2018, 8:57am; Reply: 37
Just watched the Highlights, and the Run from Cardwell, and the ball from Hooper are both very very good
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 23, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from forza ivano

Yes I have but woolford n Hooper were deffo marooned out left first half.Woodford came in central second half and narrowed things down.They had no pace out side which helped hugely..Davies came on and immediately shut down their lhs

We had two good moments in the first half, a corner which looked like it had been worked on and a passing move, unfortunately both were ended by the hapless Woolford.
Posted by: oldun, April 23, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Just watched the Highlights, and the Run from Cardwell, and the ball from Hooper are both very very good

Barnet fans are livid about our pen. Then a couple say they have benefitted from "Akinde pen"
What goes around comes around.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 23, 2018, 1:07pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from oldun

Barnet fans are livid about our pen. Then a couple say they have benefitted from "Akinde pen"

Wonder if they were livid about the penalty we didn't get against them last week which might have seen us win 3-2?  

As you say, what goes around comes around...  ::)
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 23, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from oldun

Rather comical and very hypocritical is that thread on their forum.  :)

http://www.onlybarnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13296
Posted by: Dan, April 23, 2018, 1:45pm; Reply: 42
To be fair to them, it was a magnificent dive, and if those 3 points were to keep us up, it's no wonder they'd be drunk off.

Obviously I'll take it though, the footballing gods have shined down on us recently.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), April 23, 2018, 1:54pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Dan
To be fair to them, it was a magnificent dive, and if those 3 points were to keep us up, it's no wonder they'd be drunk off.

Obviously I'll take it though, the footballing gods have shined down on us recently.

a dive? are you from Barnet.   did you complain about Akinde dives.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 44
Never mind Barnet. I'm still seething about a late dodgy penalty Swindon got against us at their ground back in the 90s.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:35am