Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yoda, April 12, 2018, 1:20pm
I think a draw would be a decent result Saturday keeps Barnet down there we gain another point.
Keeps our little run going.
Posted by: GyMariner, April 12, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 1
I think we have to realise that last Saturdays win was virtually handed to us on a plate. I personally don’t think a draw would be a bad result, we obviously can’t afford to lose it.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 12, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 2
We need to go for the win, if we drew and FGR and Chesterfield win we are back in the mire, ideally we want the win and teams around us to lose.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2018, 1:46pm; Reply: 3
Isn't it tiresome thinking about it? Studying the league table and the fixtures, wondering if a draw at home against a very poor Barnet side will be enough to squeeze us over the line. Hoping and praying that other crap sides lose to give us a bit of a boost. Never have i wanted a season to end as quickly as this one.
Posted by: denni266, April 12, 2018, 1:48pm; Reply: 4
If we cant beat barnet do we deserve to stay up ?  :-/
Posted by: monkeyboy, April 12, 2018, 1:54pm; Reply: 5
Beating Barnet is really compulsory, then hope Chesterfield lose also.

If this happens i dont need to hope FGR lose as we will be pretty much over the line.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 12, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from denni266
If we cant beat barnet do we deserve to stay up ?  :-/

I don't care if we don't deserve to stay up now, let's just stay up even if we need some luck.
The thought of the tinpot again is depressing.
Posted by: Orange_Sauce, April 12, 2018, 1:59pm; Reply: 7
We'll know by 3pm Sat - if Chesterfield lose their early kick off then I'd take a draw.
Posted by: Mikoo, April 12, 2018, 2:16pm; Reply: 8
Draw might be ok but why aim low when we can aim high and win??
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 12, 2018, 2:18pm; Reply: 9
A draw keeps us in the box seat. Barnet will have to win twice out of the final 3 games or remain unbeaten and win 1 of those two games even if we don't pick up any points. we would probably need 1 more win or 2 draws from our final 3 games to be safe.

A win makes us virtually safe.

A defeat will put us back in the mire and you would probably say Barnet would be favorites to overhaul us.

Basically I'd take a draw
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 12, 2018, 2:21pm; Reply: 10
A draw is probably OK but a win would be a hell of a lot better. The sooner we can get safe the better.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 12, 2018, 2:31pm; Reply: 11
If could be, but could you live with it if we played for a draw and ended up getting relegated by 1 point?
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 12, 2018, 2:38pm; Reply: 12
A  win and we are about safe so its got to be 3pts,

Then maybe we can go on a mini unbeaten run to the end of the season,

We can draw the last three if we beat Barnet.  8)
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 12, 2018, 2:45pm; Reply: 13
A lot will depend on the result of the Chesterfield game which kicks off a 1pm. If Chesterfield lose then I'd say that a draw would probably be okay but if they were to win (or even draw) then we'd need to win too I'd say.
Posted by: Mariner_09, April 12, 2018, 2:48pm; Reply: 14
For me, Barnet have to win to stand any chance so all the pressure’s on them, unlike last week when both sides basically had to win.
Posted by: Tommy, April 12, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 15
A few people saying if Chesterfield don't win their early kick off then a draw would be ok for us.

I disagree. This game is our easiest chance left to get 3 points so for me it's vital we win this game.

Don't want to draw this one and then end up in a position where we desperately need to beat Swindon or Notts County.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, April 12, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 16
                                                                                                 .?
                                                                                                (Confused)
No
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 12, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 17
Well lets put it this way - we must not lose!
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 18
Just once in this god awful season, it would be nice to go out, take a game by the scruff of the neck and win 3 or 4 nil. Give us a stress free game for a change. It won't happen of course, but it would be bloody welcome.
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2018, 6:16pm; Reply: 19
When was the last time we won 3or4 nil. I think it is going to happen again Saturday according to my tea leaves.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 12, 2018, 6:29pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Tommy
A few people saying if Chesterfield don't win their early kick off then a draw would be ok for us.

I disagree. This game is our easiest chance left to get 3 points so for me it's vital we win this game.

Don't want to draw this one and then end up in a position where we desperately need to beat Swindon or Notts County.

I agree, if we can't beat Barnet then it is highly unlikely we will win any of our remaining matches and that would leave us relying on the failure of the other teams.
Posted by: Zmariner, April 12, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 21
I think a draw will leave us under terrible pressure as Chesterfield will fight to the last other than Exeter their run in is ok. Tough home games but they all are and they sorted Notts county out. I think a draw will make a win required in one if the other games. As for Martin Allen , excellent manager but playing games. They are on better form than us by every measure utm
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, April 12, 2018, 7:08pm; Reply: 22
Our chances of staying up if we win, lose or draw against Barnet.

https://twitter.com/experimental361/status/984488203825635329
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 12, 2018, 7:10pm; Reply: 23
I want Town to win every game and my thoughts don't change for this game, we need as many points as possible, I feel the players are starting to work with Jolley so we may fair better in this game than previous ones. I'm fed up of looking over my shoulder, we can do this.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 12, 2018, 7:34pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Our chances of staying up if we win, lose or draw against Barnet.

https://twitter.com/experimental361/status/984488203825635329

I'm glad he's done the maths on this. My brain can't cope with all the permutations.

If his calculations are right, any result sees us with at least a better than evens chance of survival. The best case scenario for Barnet still only gives them a roughly 50:50 chance. Chesterfield's outlook is bleak whatever the result.

I'm not counting any chickens though so we shouldn't contemplate anything but a win.
Posted by: Yoda, April 12, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 25
If we lose and chesterfield win it’s panic stations.
My only worry is we don’t look like scoring unless it’s a penalty, i would take a draw now.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 12, 2018, 8:14pm; Reply: 26
It would be squeaky bum time if we fail to win and  find ourselves needing points from Swindon /Notts

Let's get that win and leave the bottom three to take points off each other
Posted by: RichMariner, April 13, 2018, 11:35am; Reply: 27
If Chesterfield don't win in the early kick off then a draw will be alright, for now. It means Chesterfield can't catch us with their games in hand any more and we'll keep Barnet at arm's length. Both teams will know that just one win or even a couple of draws in our last three games will probably relegate them, and the fight is well and truly out of their hands.

Game management will be vital. If it's all square after 70 mins on Saturday I wonder if we'll see Barnet go for it. They need the win more than us. Doubt they'll settle for a point.

That might just open up the game and give us a chance to win it. But do we go gung-ho for the win if the scores are level with 10 minutes to go? Is it worth the risk given a point will be one gained for us and two dropped for Barnet?

Like Ginny said earlier, it's exhausting thinking about it. It does my nut in - not just these permutations... supporting Grimsby in general. Nothing's easy!
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 13, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 28
We're at home to a side that have just lifted themselves to the lofty heights of 23rd.

If we're even considering a draw on Saturday as acceptable then we deserve to go down.

Go for the win.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 13, 2018, 11:51am; Reply: 29
Quoted from diehardmariner
We're at home to a side that have just lifted themselves to the lofty heights of 23rd.

If we're even considering a draw on Saturday as acceptable then we deserve to go down.

Go for the win.

Agreed. They have the worst away record in the division, possibly the entire country? and got spanked 4-1 by Stevenage, who didn't look up to much at BP. Allen has made a difference to them though. Think he has won 2 out of his 4 games. Not sure whether knowing the Chesterfield result going into the game helps or not, but if Chesterfield lose, we can go into it thinking that a win will virtually see us safe.
Posted by: Mallyner, April 13, 2018, 11:52am; Reply: 30
Quoted from golfer
When was the last time we won 3or4 nil. I think it is going to happen again Saturday according to my tea leaves.

If only Paul the Octopus was still with us.  :)
Posted by: m4riners, April 13, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 31
I've just got this terrible feeling about having to go to the Vegans on the last day of the season needing something. Football karma and all that...and I HATE that club!!

So, for me 3pts tomorrow is a must. I actually think we stand more chance of getting something at BP vs Notts County than the two away games, provided we build on the atmosphere and support of Chesterfield and (hopefully!) Barnet.

UTM
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 13, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 32

Go for the win.

Exactly.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 13, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 33
I suppose a draw would be OK if Chesterfield don't win but the sooner we're safe, the sooner MJ can start the massive job of overhauling the squad.
Posted by: RichMariner, April 13, 2018, 3:43pm; Reply: 34
I'm pretty sure no one at this club - not the manager, not the players and certainly not the fans - are going out there to play for a draw.

But if the game reaches a point where it's all square and there's not long to go, what should we do?

As the home side - and survival in touching distance - maybe we should go for the win. But equally we could leave ourselves exposed at the back and allow Barnet to nick it. And then the relegation race is wide open once more.

Maybe we should leave that decision to Barnet. It's 0-0 with 20 minutes to go... I wonder if they'll go for it? They must, surely, given the situation they're in. They can't accept a draw (while we just about can).
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 13, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 35
Outcome of the lunchtime game shouldn't come into this.  In fact I wouldn't mind the players not knowing either way (obviously not going to happen).

Our lads need to worry about winning their own games, that's it. If Chesterfield and everyone else around us lose games then brilliant, but we can't afford to rely on anyone else any longer.  It's dead simple, we win all our games and we're safe.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 13, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 36
I know town never do things easy BUT for ONCE please give us a break and win this one game because no way do I want to go to Veganville needing to draw or win to stay in the league.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 13, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm pretty sure no one at this club - not the manager, not the players and certainly not the fans - are going out there to play for a draw.

But if the game reaches a point where it's all square and there's not long to go, what should we do?

As the home side - and survival in touching distance - maybe we should go for the win. But equally we could leave ourselves exposed at the back and allow Barnet to nick it. And then the relegation race is wide open once more.

Maybe we should leave that decision to Barnet. It's 0-0 with 20 minutes to go... I wonder if they'll go for it? They must, surely, given the situation they're in. They can't accept a draw (while we just about can).

Absolutely. Those stats quoted yesterday show that the onus is on them to win. I'm not advocating sitting back, but late on in a drawing game we shouldn't be taking risks. The forwards should come off dog-tired though.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 14, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 38
Maybe!  :o
Posted by: GrimRob, April 14, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 39
All Barnet's last 3 games are winnable. I can't see us winning 2 of the last 3. I suspect we're going to go to FGR needing something.
Posted by: Pouton4ever, April 14, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from GrimRob
All Barnet's last 3 games are winnable. I can't see us winning 2 of the last 3. I suspect we're going to go to FGR needing something.

I usted read on their forum that they think the same about us. I m pessimistic though- think we need 5 points
Posted by: denni266, April 14, 2018, 9:47pm; Reply: 41
Tbh i cannot see us staying up.. barnet seem to have more about them , Its not about who creates the most chances its who can take them , and time and time again we just cannot take them unless the strikers start hitting the back of the net  more often :'(
Posted by: GrimRob, April 14, 2018, 11:26pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Pouton4ever

I usted read on their forum that they think the same about us. I m pessimistic though- think we need 5 points

4 might be enough, especially if the 3 comes against FGR
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 15, 2018, 6:19am; Reply: 43
Up to halftime I really thought we had this one cracked.

Allen clearly seething must have gone in that dressing room and absolutely roasted his players he made changes in personnel and tactics and what a transformation.

He would have come away thinking they had been robbed not to win it.

On reflection, we were lucky to get a point M.J. is still learning but he has such limited options ability wise, he does NOT have a game changer like Barnet's Akinde up front to make things happen.

They bossed the midfield in the second half also had a pacy man on the flank putting crosses in and long/dead balls aimed with purpose at top target man Akinde he is a real handful can see him moved to better places next season.

After having time to calm down I think it was a point gained for us which leaves us in a slightly better position with fewer games to play.

A clean sheet against nothing to play for Swindon would be nice anything better would be fantastic.

It's a massive ask but please do not leave it to Forest green I really do not fancy that.
Posted by: Tommy, April 15, 2018, 8:18am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
A clean sheet against nothing to play for Swindon would be nice anything better would be fantastic.

I wouldn't say Swindon have nothing to play for, they're only 3 points off a play off place. They are in poor form though.
Posted by: toontown, April 15, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 45
Maybe Bignot has taken over there, looked at the table and started experimenting...
Posted by: ginnywings, April 15, 2018, 12:30pm; Reply: 46
It's Swindon's last throw of the dice next week, so they will be up for it. Has to be said that losing their manager has thrown a spanner in the works for them.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 16, 2018, 8:11am; Reply: 47
Quoted from GrimRob

Yet they couldn't beat us with our one win in 20 odd.  In fact you could argue that we should have been out of sight by half-time.

Just like how we're still awful, so are they.  Chesterfield, FGR etc. too.  I'm not sure where any side is suddenly going to muster a winning streak from in the final games.  
Posted by: ginnywings, April 16, 2018, 9:10am; Reply: 48

Yet they couldn't beat us with our one win in 20 odd.  In fact you could argue that we should have been out of sight by half-time.

Just like how we're still awful, so are they.  Chesterfield, FGR etc. too.  I'm not sure where any side is suddenly going to muster a winning streak from in the final games.  

We've given them hope though, when we could have taken it away. However, Newport, who still have a very slim chance of the play offs, and Morecambe, have something to play for, which helps.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 16, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 49
Could argue that we've dashed their remaining hope by snatching an equaliser after they took the lead.  

They needed the win on Saturday more than we did.  I was disappointed with a single point, for them it was a huge missed opportunity.
Posted by: mariner91, April 16, 2018, 10:24am; Reply: 50
Could argue that we've dashed their remaining hope by snatching an equaliser after they took the lead.  

They needed the win on Saturday more than we did.  I was disappointed with a single point, for them it was a huge missed opportunity.

The body language of their players at the end looked pretty dejected, they looked like a side who thought they'd just had their best chance snatched away from them.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 16, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 51
Exactly.

My mate commented during the first half how the Barnet players didn't appear to be responding to Allen, to the point that Weston's response was to laugh at his screaming and barking of orders.

They definitely responded to the rocket they would have got at half-time but that can only work so many times and you have to question how many times a manager can return to a club and get a response, with the players knowing full well he won't be there in a few weeks time.

Leaving the ground I was disappointed we hadn't capitalised on our first half display but generally unsure how I felt about  picking up a point.  A few days later a four point return from the two sides who are chasing us to survive is far from the worst outcome.  Neither side has made up any ground on us with a further two games (three in the case of Chesterfield) played out.   Most importantly both sides looked just as bad as us, which gives me confidence they won't be picking up a glut of points from anywhere.  
Posted by: Mariner_09, April 16, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 52
If we’d won, and we should have been out of sight at half time, then we’d be about sorted. We’d have been 9 points ahead of Chesterfield and 8 ahead of Barnet. It does help that the 3 other sides around us have games against each other.
Posted by: marinerrick, April 16, 2018, 10:36am; Reply: 53
i wonder if the players didnt know the chesterfield result before KO.half time found out the result and then thought a draw will do. Hope not but with this squad you never know.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 12:07pm