Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, April 11, 2018, 12:17pm
Must say i'm a bit surprised and more than a little disappointed there are no offers on for this weekend to pack the park. I just don't get it and the crowd will be down significantly from the last game, without all those away fans and those that turned up for free/cheap for the last two games. If they think a disco set from your worst nightmare wedding reception is going to suffice, i think they are making a huge miscalculation.

I really don't get the thinking behind our board. So much but no more seems to be their modus operandi. Something that worked so well for the last 2 home games has just been abandoned, with arguably a bigger game than Chesterfield coming up.

Poor!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 11, 2018, 12:25pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
Must say i'm a bit surprised and more than a little disappointed there are no offers on for this weekend to pack the park. I just don't get it and the crowd will be down significantly from the last game, without all those away fans and those that turned up for free/cheap for the last two games. If they think a disco set from your worst nightmare wedding reception is going to suffice, i think they are making a huge miscalculation.

I really don't get the thinking behind our board. So much but no more seems to be their modus operandi. Something that worked so well for the last 2 home games has just been abandoned, with arguably a bigger game than Chesterfield coming up.

Poor!

Dare I say devaluing the product just before you attempt to put up prices on season tickets and matchday tickets
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 11, 2018, 12:30pm; Reply: 2
I get what you’re saying but won’t there be a big crowd anyway given that it’s a massive game? No point the club offering discounted tickets if we’re going to get a decent gate anyway, or am I missing something?
Posted by: ginnywings, April 11, 2018, 12:45pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jimgtfc
I get what you’re saying but won’t there be a big crowd anyway given that it’s a massive game? No point the club offering discounted tickets if we’re going to get a decent gate anyway, or am I missing something?

There may be, there may not. Depends if all those who took advantage of recent offers return. That's the thing though isn't it, being left to chance. If you are proactive, you make sure there will be a full house, not hope for one.
Posted by: Simariner, April 11, 2018, 12:51pm; Reply: 4
The game is such a big one everyone who is associated with GTFC should be there supporting them.  They've done and tried the discount and it only added 800 or so on the gate,

They should be looking to attract the kids for free in my eyes. After last weekend surely folk would want to return???

No other offer should be needed  UTM
Posted by: GyMariner, April 11, 2018, 12:54pm; Reply: 5
It was our first win in 20 games, if that doesn’t draw everyone back (along with it being one of our biggest games of the season) I don’t know what will!
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 11, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 6
Kids are our future so I hope the club do a really good deal for them next season,

Something like a season ticket for £23 when bought with an adult one.
Posted by: Teestogreen, April 11, 2018, 1:23pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
Kids are our future so I hope the club do a really good deal for them next season,

Something like a season ticket for £23 when bought with an adult one.

There would probably be a population explosion, in Grimsby / Cleethorpes and surrounding areas,  at this offer, in less than a year's time. Good for the economy, maybe.  :)

Posted by: Elgringo87, April 11, 2018, 2:16pm; Reply: 8
There is an offer to discoveries football club for the Barnet game all adults £10 and kids go free providing they are playing or connected to discoveries fc
Posted by: Elgringo87, April 11, 2018, 2:22pm; Reply: 9
Sorry £12
Posted by: Grimsby2012, April 11, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 10
Agreed. The Barnet game is so Important and by far the most important home game we have left to play!

Win and we are practically over the line with staying up, draw/lose and it's nail-biting time.

We need to fill the stadium and make it a great atmosphere like we did vs Chesterfield!
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 11, 2018, 4:47pm; Reply: 11
The away crowd will be at least 1000 down on last weekend for a start.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 11, 2018, 6:29pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Elgringo87
There is an offer to discoveries football club for the Barnet game all adults £10 and kids go free providing they are playing or connected to discoveries fc

I think the club will find about 3,000 people are connected to Discoveries in one way or another  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from GyMariner
It was our first win in 20 games, if that doesn’t draw everyone back (along with it being one of our biggest games of the season) I don’t know what will!

Whoop-de-woo! Yes it's incredible that the crowds aren't flocking in!

Do you set the ticket pricing policy by any chance?
Posted by: GyMariner, April 11, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Whoop-de-woo! Yes it's incredible that the crowds aren't flocking in!

Do you set the ticket pricing policy by any chance?

Nope, but when you’ve travelled home and away to sit through 20 games of misery (albeit not every fan has, but I’m sure they have mentally) and you enjoy an ending as much as last Saturday.....then yes it would be quite incredible if the crowds aren’t flocking in for Saturday!

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GyMariner

Nope, but when you’ve travelled home and away to sit through 20 games of misery (albeit not every fan has, but I’m sure they have mentally) and you enjoy an ending as much as last Saturday.....then yes it would be quite incredible if the crowds aren’t flocking in for Saturday!

You really must be joking. You might have enjoyed it by contrast with what you went through in the previous 4 months, but by your own admission you're a regular attender. We need to be coxing in people who hardly ever go. They'll be less impressed by a skin of the teeth win.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 12, 2018, 4:50am; Reply: 16
To be honest this game now becomes our most important game of the season so that should be enough incentive but it would have been nice as a thank you to our long-suffering fans this season.

The board has obviously decided a five thousand gate paying full price is financially better than a six thousand plus getting in for discount or freebies.

I suppose the books do not look that great this season somebody is going to have to make up the shortfall its damage limitation.
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2018, 7:53am; Reply: 17
They should be trying to get as many people in as possible to get the atmosphere to help us fend off relegation. If we go down they will lose more than a few hundred free seats especially with the intended 10% increase on season tickets next season.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 12, 2018, 8:27am; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings

Poor!

Absolutely spot on, the board seem incapable of capitalizing on any good will shown by fans or to be proactive to create a partisan crowd. Barnet will probably bring 500 or less, more likely less meaning the club easily put them in the Osmond corner and open behind the Osmond goal to Town fans with offers to fill it. Getting Mighty Mariner back is a tiny step in the right direction but he alone isn't going to increase the attendance no matter how fantastic he is in the role.

To those above this post who say if your a Town fan you'll be there regardless not everyone is going to let a win by the skin of our teeth and all that Fenty has done will make people buy into Town that easily there needs to be a speculate to accumulate which is why Fenty's waiting for football fortune has seen the club in the position it is in, the evidence is there for all to see.

The onus is on the club to act, and yet again it is found wanting. Fans were calling out to the club to open up the Osmond stand to Town fans and they haven't listened again, you reap what you sow.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 12, 2018, 8:47am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To be honest this game now becomes our most important game of the season so that should be enough incentive but it would have been nice as a thank you to our long-suffering fans this season.

The board has obviously decided a five thousand gate paying full price is financially better than a six thousand plus getting in for discount or freebies.

I suppose the books do not look that great this season somebody is going to have to make up the shortfall its damage limitation.

If anything ever summed up why as a club we're floundering, the above sums it up perfectly.  

5000 fans paying full price is better than 6000 with discount.  Totally short-sighted approach.  

Back of a cigarette packet workings:

5000 @ avg. ticket price of £10 (Adult and Concessions) - 2500 Season Ticket Holders - £25,000 through the gate.
6000 @ discounted avg. ticket price of let's say £5 (£10 for Adults, kids go free with or on their own for £1) - 2500 Season Ticket Holders - £17,500.

A difference of £7,500.  This is a must win game.  Forget Chesterfield, this is now the most important game of the season.  As will the next one after that and so on until we're safe.  The club are putting £7,500 ahead of packing BP in a crucial game which we simply must win.  What's the cost of relegation? £1million minimum?

That's not even factoring in the fact that you might get 500 kids going for free and even if 2 of those then become life long fans you're making your money back in the long run.  Then they'll bring their mates, grow up and bring their kids.... God knows what amount those 2 people will contribute to the income stream of the club in the next 20/30 years and beyond.

This club needs to look beyond its own bloody nose when it makes these decisions.  I get annoyed as a season ticket holder when all these offers are peddled out because I feel it makes my ST less of a benefit (I still buy one like an idiot though!) but christ almighty this is a no-brainer.  Pack the Park, make it a great atmosphere and roar the side to safety.  The club failed to capitalise on the post-promotion feel good factor, watched on as a Lincoln shamed us by doing it with style 12 months later and then still fail to respond.  From a purely business perspective this is an opportunity.  An opportunity to tap into new fans and new income streams, yet instead we're happy to pocket an extra £7,500.  

Pathetic.
Posted by: marinernige, April 12, 2018, 9:23am; Reply: 20
There's an offer in yesterdays telegraph, a voucher for 2 free kids tickets with a full paying adult.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 12, 2018, 10:41am; Reply: 21
This game could  determine whether we got to FGR,

To send them down or they send us down.

A must win game .
Posted by: Garth, April 12, 2018, 3:54pm; Reply: 22
If the Manager and players are in the right frame of mind, one spectator and his dog should be suffice for a win.

Big crowds and bullshit make me nervous in must win games
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 12, 2018, 5:54pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Garth
If the Manager and players are in the right frame of mind, one spectator and his dog should be suffice for a win.

Big crowds and bullshit make me nervous in must win games

Are you the kind of guy who goes to the urinals and would rather pee himself in case some glances at your tiny old man, said in jest  ;D.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 24
No freeview on the MJ pre match press conference either this week after the last two were. Looks like it's back to no freebies again. Don't want to devalue the product now.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 12, 2018, 10:55pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from marinernige
There's an offer in yesterdays telegraph, a voucher for 2 free kids tickets with a full paying adult.

Does anyone buy the GET nowadays?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 12, 2018, 10:59pm; Reply: 26
Same old same old from the powers that be , we have a massive game and the marketing is virtually zero. Pains me but I saw the Cowley brothers coaching some under 8 s earlier in the week splashed all over the Linc's echo and their social media sites, all cleverly and strategically done.
Posted by: Yoda, April 13, 2018, 11:18pm; Reply: 27
Have you ever heard fenty say anything positive about the club or fans.!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 13, 2018, 11:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Yoda
Have you ever heard fenty say anything positive about the club or fans.!!

He hasn't got time to do that PR malarkey bollox, what with wiring the toilets and plumbing in the lights.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 13, 2018, 11:28pm; Reply: 29
PR is done on the pitch remember.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 14, 2018, 1:51am; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings
No freeview on the MJ pre match press conference either this week after the last two were. Looks like it's back to no freebies again. Don't want to devalue the product now.
I cancelled my monthly subscription last week, the majority of the press conferences is transposed on to the GTFC and Telegraph websites anyway.

I wish GTFC added more content on YouTube.  If you compare with say Shrewsbury Town, every couple of days, on their YouTube account, they have a minute or so preview and post match video with the manager and sometimes with a player.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 14, 2018, 11:06am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I cancelled my monthly subscription last week, the majority of the press conferences is transposed on to the GTFC and Telegraph websites anyway.

I wish GTFC added more content on YouTube.  If you compare with say Shrewsbury Town, every couple of days, on their YouTube account, they have a minute or so preview and post match video with the manager and sometimes with a player.

I cancelled when it changed to iFollow. There is nothing worth paying for on there.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 14, 2018, 12:18pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from diehardmariner

If anything ever summed up why as a club we're floundering, the above sums it up perfectly.  

5000 fans paying full price is better than 6000 with discount.  Totally short-sighted approach.  

Back of a cigarette packet workings:

5000 @ avg. ticket price of £10 (Adult and Concessions) - 2500 Season Ticket Holders - £25,000 through the gate.
6000 @ discounted avg. ticket price of let's say £5 (£10 for Adults, kids go free with or on their own for £1) - 2500 Season Ticket Holders - £17,500.

A difference of £7,500.  This is a must win game.  Forget Chesterfield, this is now the most important game of the season.  As will the next one after that and so on until we're safe.  The club are putting £7,500 ahead of packing BP in a crucial game which we simply must win.  What's the cost of relegation? £1million minimum?

That's not even factoring in the fact that you might get 500 kids going for free and even if 2 of those then become life long fans you're making your money back in the long run.  Then they'll bring their mates, grow up and bring their kids.... God knows what amount those 2 people will contribute to the income stream of the club in the next 20/30 years and beyond.

This club needs to look beyond its own bloody nose when it makes these decisions.  I get annoyed as a season ticket holder when all these offers are peddled out because I feel it makes my ST less of a benefit (I still buy one like an idiot though!) but christ almighty this is a no-brainer.  Pack the Park, make it a great atmosphere and roar the side to safety.  The club failed to capitalise on the post-promotion feel good factor, watched on as a Lincoln shamed us by doing it with style 12 months later and then still fail to respond.  From a purely business perspective this is an opportunity.  An opportunity to tap into new fans and new income streams, yet instead we're happy to pocket an extra £7,500.  

Pathetic.

Hey not my scenario mate I am just trying to think how the board thinks. They have a professional accountant there so should be able to do the sums. I agree with everything you say but then I don't make that call they do.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 16, 2018, 2:30pm; Reply: 33
No, I know. :)

I was calling the board view pathetic.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), April 16, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 34
I'm all for packing the park, but the playing budget has to come from somewhere. And gate receipts is the main source of funding. I would be happy to pay more for a season ticket if we had a more competitive budget. I do agree kids for a quid etc should be rolled out as an investment into the future fan base. The club seem to do a lot of this sort of thing already.

However, If you have to let adults in for a tenner or less for them to bother, are they worth bothering with?
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 16, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 35
Accepting that the above workings are very loose, but that's £7,500 a game.  Over the season you're talking just shy of £200,000 but with an extra 1000 people through the gate, if on average each of those spend just a quid a game on programmes, tea/coffee, beer, whatever that's £23,000 straight away.  That's not even taking into account shirt sales or the fact that if you get people in and make them feel like they want to come back they'll bring other people with them.  That 1000 people becomes 1500 and so on.

Competitive playing budget?  Accrington average less than 2000 at home games and I'm sure they don't charge £60 a ticket to supplement the shortfall, they also operate at a tidy profit.   There's a difference between competitive and wasteful.  

We're in a ridiculously fortunate position that we've got a hardcore 2500-3000 who will get season tickets plus another 1000 who will turn out most the time.  Sensible approach is we take that as the budget, it's still very healthy for this level and we don't deviate it from it. The more efficient we are the more we can use on players. That then gives us half of our ground capacity to try new things out, try to entice people in who won't normally come and tap into the next generation of fans.  If no-one else turns up, fine.  We've lost nothing other than a bit of thinking time.  Whoever else turns up and whatever they bring financially is a bonus and we should re-invest it appropriately.

It's an opportunity, a huge one.  The club see it as a burden.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 5:04pm