Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yoda, April 7, 2018, 6:27pm
Would a league two referee have given that penalty.??
I think not.?
Posted by: fleabag1970, April 7, 2018, 6:36pm; Reply: 1
I thought he was superb . Got everything correct imo . Best ref I've seen at bp in years
Posted by: RonMariner, April 7, 2018, 6:38pm; Reply: 2
Been saying for a couple of weeks that we needed a lucky break, and it seems we finally got one today.

This result is huge. Not only in terms of where we sit tonight, but on the morale of the team going forward. Now we know we can win, especially at home.

Next week is almost, but not quite, like a playoff final for us. A win will mean that Barnet would have to win all of their remaining games to have a chance of catching us.

44 points with three games remaining would be a very strong position to be in. Chesterfield may not reach that number given that they have to fit in another 7 games, 4 of them away I believe.

But I don't think we should assume that we wont pick up a point from our last three matches. We can certainly get something from FGR and the home game against Notts County is by no means mission impossible. Chesterfield beat them comfortably a couple of  weeks ago.

So we are far from down. That penalty has made all the difference.
Posted by: oldun, April 7, 2018, 6:39pm; Reply: 3
He showed a calmness and authority throughout the games. Clearly had the respect of the players.
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 7, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 4
Fantastic referee, calm and authoritative. Was having a right laugh with Mitch Rose as the players were preparing to kick off the second half.
Posted by: TAGG, April 7, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 5
Best ref I've seen for years at BP
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 7, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 6
He was very good.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 7, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from headingly_mariner
He was very good.

Not an opinion shared by Jack Lester!

[url]https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chesterfield-boss-jack-lester-fuming-1431030[/url]

Ironic isn't it, I wonder how many penalties Jack managed to con with his diving during his career?
Posted by: lee65, April 7, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 8
Just seen the highlights, you might get that penalty given 5/10 times by a DECENT referee, but Chesterfield really shouldn’t complain as the guy leans in to the path of the ball and it does hit his arm, his movement is deliberate
Posted by: Perkins, April 7, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 9
It was a nice change to have a decent ref who let the game flow and  didn't blow for every bit of physical contact, that's why he's a Premier Leage ref. We've seen too many refs here that seem to think we've paid to see him and hear his whistle over the last few years.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 7, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 10
Just shows the gulf between the highest level and the muppets we get week in week out.

Thought he was the same for both sides, consistent and let the game flow without too many whistles also I think he got that it was a 4th division game and reffed it accordingly.

Not sure about the 6 minutes injury time but I guess it added to the drama and noise.    
Posted by: Hameln Mariner, April 7, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 11
I've got to be honest and thought that the penalty call was soft at the time (as much as I was grateful for it!) but having seen it on the highlights it was a very good call by a very good Ref. Shame that we'll be back to the normal (abysmal) standard next week.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 7, 2018, 10:51pm; Reply: 12
If it didn't hit his arm (I think it did) it wasn't for want of trying. Nice to see cheating not prosper.
Posted by: bawarmy, April 7, 2018, 11:30pm; Reply: 13

Not an opinion shared by Jack Lester!

[url]https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chesterfield-boss-jack-lester-fuming-1431030[/url]

Ironic isn't it, I wonder how many penalties Jack managed to con with his diving during his career?

Sorry to say it as he was a fair player for us but I don’t like Jack Lester
Posted by: 75 (Guest), April 7, 2018, 11:44pm; Reply: 14
I'm old enough to see Jack Lester come through as a kid at BP. Never a natural goalscorer in my opinion at the time, never really became one, was a snake as a player, loved him when he partnered Clive, but he's a cheat as a manager, was a cheat as a player and balderdash to him. UTM.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 8, 2018, 12:02am; Reply: 15
Quoted from 75
I'm old enough to see Jack Lester come through as a kid at BP. Never a natural goalscorer in my opinion at the time, never really became one, was a snake as a player, loved him when he partnered Clive, but he's a cheat as a manager, was a cheat as a player and balderdash to him. UTM.

Bit harsh why is he a cheat as a manager, can’t remember him playing too many games with Super Clive or ones that made an impact on the memory banks🤔
Posted by: malkamalka, April 8, 2018, 11:18am; Reply: 16
Interesting that we got a Premier League "Elite" referee. Maybe the powers that be at the FA and EFL are with us - for some reason, they don't want us to go back down. Yes, Mr Madeley was very good, and most of his decisions were spot on, but a lot of those decisions were ones he doesn't make in the PL.

I could make similar observations about the referee in the Cardiff v Wolves game on Friday. Either Mike Dean was under orders to help Cardiff not to lose, or he is totally both unfit and incompetent.

Finally have a look at the performance of Atkinson in the Mancs derby - he obviously had instructions at half time, because in the 2nd period he gave United everything and City nothing.

Lets hope we can have Bobby again next week though  8)

Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 8, 2018, 11:22am; Reply: 17
Quoted from malkamalka
Interesting that we got a Premier League "Elite" referee. Maybe the powers that be at the FA and EFL are with us - for some reason, they don't want us to go back down. Yes, Mr Madeley was very good, and most of his decisions were spot on, but a lot of those decisions were ones he doesn't make in the PL.

I could make similar observations about the referee in the Cardiff v Wolves game on Friday. Either Mike Dean was under orders to help Cardiff not to lose, or he is totally both unfit and incompetent.

Finally have a look at the performance of Atkinson in the Mancs derby - he obviously had instructions at half time, because in the 2nd period he gave United everything and City nothing.

Lets hope we can have Bobby again next week though  8)

If you think that refs act under instructions to favor one team ahead of another you need to give your head a wobble. I do reckon though that some can be influenced though usually by players, coaches and managers chatting in their ears from as soon as they arrive.
Posted by: Davec, April 9, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 18
What's the chances of us having a premiership referee on Saturday against Barnet? Maybe not premiership again but probably a top end EFL ref? Still a relegation 6 pointer so a strong ref is needed.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 9, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Davec
What's the chances of us having a premiership referee on Saturday against Barnet? Maybe not premiership again but probably a top end EFL ref? Still a relegation 6 pointer so a strong ref is needed.

We'll get Ross Joyce.  ??)
Posted by: Posh Harry, April 9, 2018, 11:16am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Les Brechin

We'll get Ross Joyce.  ??)

That really would be ying and yang 😳
Posted by: ginnywings, April 9, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 21
Hasn't he been ok the last couple of times we've had him, despite our trepidation?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 9, 2018, 5:21pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings
Hasn't he been ok the last couple of times we've had him, despite our trepidation?

Saturday was the first time he has refereed us. There is another Madley (Andrew) who we had 3 time in non-league.

Ross Joyce is still getting a few bad reports. Lets face it he could not get any worse.
Posted by: Davec, April 9, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 23
Darren Bond is the referee on Saturday, he's officiated 26 championship games this season.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 5:11am