Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, April 2, 2018, 7:10pm
From a much improved and promising performance, just 2-3 months too late ( thanks fenty) .Wycombe are a decent side massive attacking threat with the unplayable akinfemwa pace and trickery down the side ,competent midfield and 2 tough centre halves who knew every trick in the book. I'd hate to see the possession stats as they looked threatening every time they went forward and tbh on another day they could've had 5 or 6. .we did well to hold the lead for as long as we did and at least we didn't cave in having conceded 2 quick goals.rose who was my motm fluffed a great chance to equalise after 80 but I always felt that Wycombe would've just upped it again and found a way through. McKeown made domed great saves and the defence was valiant to a man throwing themselves into challenges and block.in midfield rose n summer field were everywhere but the problem is that they and the rest of the team just  don't have the quality to create things. Vernon is the same whilst Matt n hooper never looked like they thought they could win a header or create a chance. Woolford took his goal well but was anonymous as was berrett,who was up to his usual standard. We couldn't really have done anything more but the sad fact is that our best just isn't good enough.even mcsheffery when he came on managed to stand on the ball and fail to beat the first man with his corners and he's supposed to be our one bit of quality.
And the other depressing thought is that most of these players will be gone and don't look good enough even for the conference.
Let's just hope chesterfield have a bad day and that we can put in a similar level of performance. In which case we might have a chance
Finally special thanks to the myopic ref who might as well have donned a blue shirt and tried to Head one in for them.they were far too clever with their pushing n pulling and we were too amateurish in our shoves and nudges
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 2, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 1
Overall a better performance and a well taken goal from open play! Lets not forget Wycombe are 3rd for a reason and that reason is that they are well organised and play to their strengths, all that said we deserved a point today despite the ref doing his best to deny us.

First half not sure of we where the better team but the lead was well deserved with the players showing real grit and determination as well as actually trying to play some football. When we came out for the 2nd half we failed to win and retain possession enough to build on the lead, you could sense that their first was coming but the 2nd I'm not sure they deserved. We did have enough possession in the right areas to force and equaliser. Rose  came  frustratingly close and if Matt had squared to McSheffery things might have been different..

So overall we didn't look like a relegation side and if we had seen today's effort and application 6 weeks ago we would bot be where we are. MJ won't turn this around but given time he will improve us.
Posted by: Grimal, April 2, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from forza ivano
From a much improved and promising performance, just 2-3 months too late ( thanks fenty) .Wycombe are a decent side massive attacking threat with the unplayable akinfemwa pace and trickery down the side ,competent midfield and 2 tough centre halves who knew every trick in the book. I'd hate to see the possession stats as they looked threatening every time they went forward and tbh on another day they could've had 5 or 6. .we did well to hold the lead for as long as we did and at least we didn't cave in having conceded 2 quick goals.rose who was my motm fluffed a great chance to equalise after 80 but I always felt that Wycombe would've just upped it again and found a way through. McKeown made domed great saves and the defence was valiant to a man throwing themselves into challenges and block.in midfield rose n summer field were everywhere but the problem is that they and the rest of the team just  don't have the quality to create things. Vernon is the same whilst Matt n hooper never looked like they thought they could win a header or create a chance. Woolford took his goal well but was anonymous as was berrett,who was up to his usual standard. We couldn't really have done anything more but the sad fact is that our best just isn't good enough.even mcsheffery when he came on managed to stand on the ball and fail to beat the first man with his corners and he's supposed to be our one bit of quality.
And the other depressing thought is that most of these players will be gone and don't look good enough even for the conference.
Let's just hope chesterfield have a bad day and that we can put in a similar level of performance. In which case we might have a chance
Finally special thanks to the myopic ref who might as well have donned a blue shirt and tried to Head one in for them.they were far too clever with their pushing n pulling and we were too amateurish in our shoves and nudges

The bit highlighted doesn't sound too depressing to me Forza . ;)

Posted by: LondonMariner43, April 2, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 3
The way I see it, we played a top side and didn’t get hammered.  To stay up, we need to win against Chesterfield, Barnet and Forest Green.  If Jolley can keep giving the team belief it’s still possible to stay up.
Posted by: sapper mariner, April 2, 2018, 7:18pm; Reply: 4
[url]http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/11314499/wycombe-2-1-grimsby[/url]
Posted by: Cloudy, April 2, 2018, 7:20pm; Reply: 5
Thanks guys. Great to read some balanced reports from people who actually went to the game rather than "supporters" calling for certain players to be sacked because they nearly scored!

We all know the mess we are in, that it is going to be a struggle but equally we don't need the manic depressive trolls
Posted by: jonnyboy82, April 2, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 6
Yet we lost again and this week its the refs fault.

Great stuff though.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 2, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Yet we lost again and this week its the refs fault.

Great stuff though.

Sorry johnny but I said several times that we just aren't good enough and don't have enough quality which is the main reason we will be relegated. A useless one sided ref hardly helped the situation though
Posted by: jonnyboy82, April 2, 2018, 7:44pm; Reply: 8
Fair enough forza , my bad i dont mean to be picking Just very angry right now with this current situation.
Posted by: buckstown, April 2, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 9
Well that was my first game in a while and I went in hope rather than expectation. Have to say it was better than I expected and most importantly the players gave everything and very clearly care, the problem is we're just not good enough, particularly in midfield.
Wycombe are one dimensional, get it to Akinfenwa who either wins the header and Wycombe win the second ball, or chest it down and lay it off. The balls in to him were delivered with laser guided accuracy and he does exactly what it says on the tin, highly effectively. We had Vernon and latterly Matt who both work hard but win little or nothing
Rose was not good, jumping out of tackles and finally missing a sitter near the end. Summerfield worked very hard and was encouraging the others throughout but he was alone in midfield. Woolford won a number of balls in the air which surprised me but offered little else.
My biggest fear was that we would be hopeless and I would leave thinking Jolley is a big mistake. Instead I left thinking he's getting almost the maximum out of a bunch of dogs. I do think he needs to pick his best eleven and play them for the remaining games to maximise our chance of survival.
Credit to Gareth Ainsworth who has performed miracles at Wycombe on a pitiful budget. He also applauded the town fans at the end which was a nice touch
Posted by: forza ivano, April 2, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Fair enough forza , my bad i dont mean to be picking Just very angry right now with this current situation.

No worries.PS in regards to the ref nobody has mentioned how he n the linesman failed to notice Matt's shirt being ripped off his back as he made his way into the penalty area, yet as soon as their centre half went sprawling from the slightest nudgehe wazonto it immediately.
And to balance it up top inept moments included mckeowns throw out which went straight out of play and nowhere near the intended target.hoopers first or second touch which went 20 yards straight out of play.plus the constant hacked,miscued and sliced clearances which just added to the pressure, Vernon's first 20 mins were a nightmare as all he did was to slip over and give away fouls.there were many more but it sounds over critical.10/10 for effort 4\10 for ability
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 2, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 11
The frustrating thing is that this was a massive step in the right direction even though we lost. If Jolley had been brought in even just a month sooner we could have picked up a couple more points. How Slade wasn't sacked on the drive back up from Yeovil I'll never know. That delay could well have cost us our place in the league.

It's a 2 game season now. Win the next 2 and I think we'll be ok. Anything less and the fat lady will be clearing her throat.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 2, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 12
One thing I forgot to add was some real class from Gareth Ainsworth at the end who came towards the Town fans clapping and signalling that we will be staying up, he didn't need to do that but it was nice to see either way.    
Posted by: Ipswin, April 2, 2018, 8:28pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC
One thing I forgot to add was some real class from Gareth Ainsworth at the end who came towards the Town fans clapping and signalling that we will be staying up, he didn't need to do that but it was nice to see either way.    

You're sure he wasn't taking the urine?  :)

Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 2, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Ipswin

You're sure he wasn't taking the urine?  :)

Nah mate...... he’s actually got a reputation for being a decent bloke.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 2, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 15
It looked a better performance but a man unmarked from a corner at the far post scores against us,

How many times have we said that ?
Posted by: Maringer, April 2, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 16
Surely a zonal or part zonal defensive system ought to have somebody to cover at the back post?

Ah, well. Just another terribly soft goal to concede.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 2, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete
It looked a better performance but a man unmarked from a corner at the far post scores against us,

How many times have we said that ?

seems like every goal we have conceded lately has been unmarked men at corners or the second ball at a set piece....their second looked like the guy was stood there unmarked all the time... hasnt even had to lose a man to be completely free a couple of yards out.
Posted by: Tom13, April 2, 2018, 9:08pm; Reply: 18
We're just not 'clever' enough. Regardless of the lack of quality in the final third, we've only got Ben Davies who knows how to buy a foul or two to either relieve the pressure when defending, or win a chance to stick the ball in the box. Matt's shirt was pulled so clearly to everyone behind the goal, but he somehow didn't get anything given for him. I've never seen a striker who is fouled so often but wins so little - in fact he manages to give away free kicks more than win them.

A lot of endeavour today, some superb blocks from the defence and two fantastic double saves from McKeown. Thought Rose (miss aside) did well in his role in front of Akinfenwa, back four were generally good and was impressed with RHJ in the advanced role he was given.

As said above, we're improving, just not quick enough yet. We were infinitely better than at Cambridge, and improved also on the Coventry game too. Barnet and FGR getting beat means our defeat isn't panic stations, however if we lose next weekend, Chesterfield will be catching us with all their games in hand leaving probably only FGR in the equation. FGR's recent form, plus the fact we go there on the last day, could maybe be suggesting that game will be a winner takes all.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 2, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 19
You'd think with the amount of stupid set pieces we give away we might have learnt how to defend them.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 2, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Tom13
We're just not 'clever' enough. Regardless of the lack of quality in the final third, we've only got Ben Davies who knows how to buy a foul or two to either relieve the pressure when defending, or win a chance to stick the ball in the box. Matt's shirt was pulled so clearly to everyone behind the goal, but he somehow didn't get anything given for him. I've never seen a striker who is fouled so often but wins so little - in fact he manages to give away free kicks more than win them.

A lot of endeavour today, some superb blocks from the defence and two fantastic double saves from McKeown. Thought Rose (miss aside) did well in his role in front of Akinfenwa, back four were generally good and was impressed with RHJ in the advanced role he was given.

As said above, we're improving, just not quick enough yet. We were infinitely better than at Cambridge, and improved also on the Coventry game too. Barnet and FGR getting beat means our defeat isn't panic stations, however if we lose next weekend, Chesterfield will be catching us with all their games in hand leaving probably only FGR in the equation. FGR's recent form, plus the fact we go there on the last day, could maybe be suggesting that game will be a winner takes all.

Agree with this. The only thing I'd say is that rhj n mills are both very limited.fine at the defensive side but just haven't got the necessary ability when in possession.if I was jolley I'd send them to a learn-how-to-pass-to-a- colleague summer school, if such a thing existed.
Summer field is similar great effort and attitude but he's not a patch on disley is he?
Final thought,perhaps controversial, but is McKeown part off the problem at set pieces as he too often stayed on his line and doesn't come and dominate his  6 yard area
Posted by: sam gy, April 2, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 21
Couldn’t have asked for anything more from the players today. I think Jolley got it right in terms of selection and set up, but in the end we just lack that quality. To play a team 3rd in the league, away, with the run we’re on and only lose 2-1 shows signs of progression I believe, as daft as that sounds.

Gives me a bit more hope going up against the likes of chesterfield, but I’d still be amazed if we stayed up.
Posted by: sam gy, April 2, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 22
Also, just to add. Fair play to Woolford for scoring. It felt very, very nice to score from open play, with a breakaway goal, and hang on to the lead until at least half time.

Gave us something to cheer about for a bit anyway!
Posted by: Tom13, April 2, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from forza ivano

Agree with this. The only thing I'd say is that rhj n mills are both very limited.fine at the defensive side but just haven't got the necessary ability when in possession.if I was jolley I'd send them to a learn-how-to-pass-to-a- colleague summer school, if such a thing existed.
Summer field is similar great effort and attitude but he's not a patch on disley is he?
Final thought,perhaps controversial, but is McKeown part off the problem at set pieces as he too often stayed on his line and doesn't come and dominate his  6 yard area

Mills is a bit odd in that he's great defensively, he's quick enough to beat a man and did so a few times, but his crossing leaves a lot to be desired. Hasn't seemed to improve it either during the time he's been here which seems strange. Would agree on Summerfield but I don't think it's any coincidence the best performances (the last two) under Jolley have come with him back in the team, he added a lot today that was missing in the Coventry game.

See what you mean on McKeown, he came for balls a few times today and only seemed to get half a punch on them, if he'd come and caught a few it would've taken a lot of pressure off the back four.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 2, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Tom13

Mills is a bit odd in that he's great defensively, he's quick enough to beat a man and did so a few times, but his crossing leaves a lot to be desired. Hasn't seemed to improve it either during the time he's been here which seems strange. Would agree on Summerfield but I don't think it's any coincidence the best performances (the last two) under Jolley have come with him back in the team, he added a lot today that was missing in the Coventry game.

See what you mean on McKeown, he came for balls a few times today and only seemed to get half a punch on them, if he'd come and caught a few it would've taken a lot of pressure off the back four.

I think Mills has improved a a defender in his time at Town, he only lacks one thing going forward and that’s confidence to back himself to get to the bye line and cross the ball. All being well MJ can install belief in him.
Posted by: wigworld, April 2, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 25
We scored a goal from open play. When's the last time we did that?
Posted by: RichMariner, April 2, 2018, 10:17pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I like this.

Will that gesture keep us up? Of course not. He didn't need to do it, but it was good that he did.

A little gesture like that goes a hell of a long way in football. When he took over at Wycombe they were staring relegation in the face, and he kept them up on the last day at Torquay a few years ago (if my memory serves me correctly).

He knew what it needed to stay up, so maybe he saw some of that fight in our performance today.

He's doing a great job at Wycombe under the circumstances. I think there are many more teams with bigger budgets but he's had them towards the top of the division for the last few seasons now.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 2, 2018, 10:31pm; Reply: 27
Haven’t got a lot to add to what’s already been said . A much better performance than I was expecting with everyone giving 100% . It’s just that the quality isn’t there to really compete .

It’s all been sold or given away by the arrogant t.wat fenty.

If we can put in a performance next week and just have that extra bit of belief up front we could sneak 3 points . Chesterfield and Barnet aren’t as good as Wycombe and we didn’t look 20 odd places apart today .  
A confident finish from rose on 80 mins could’ve rescued a point . It’s small margins now .

And for anyone questioning mckewon if it hadn’t been for him we’d have suffered another healthy defeat today .
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 2, 2018, 11:30pm; Reply: 28
Didn't't notice the Ainsworth gesture, but their GK Brown acknowledged how off-pissing his little victory celebrations were. After we gave him so much gyp, fair play to the fellah.

Still a bunch of cheating girl privates though weren't they? Better than us but we were beaten by the ref.(thumbup)
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 5:43pm