Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ackomariner, March 31, 2018, 10:09am
In a hospital in London after a cardiac arrest. Very poorly at present in a critical condition.
Thoughts and prayers for one of the nice guys of football
Posted by: fleabag1970, March 31, 2018, 10:33am; Reply: 1
One of the best pundits on tv imo .... gws
Posted by: moosey_club, March 31, 2018, 2:01pm; Reply: 2
The Crab as he was effectionately known.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 31, 2018, 2:45pm; Reply: 3
Really good bloke, very humble and a gentleman. Was a great passer of the ball. Wish him well.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 31, 2018, 3:09pm; Reply: 4
Just seen that not only did he have a heart attack but he also then had a fall

As a result he's in an induced coma.... how tragic

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/30/ray-wilkins-cardiac-arrest-induced-coma-chelsea-england

Hope he can pull through this and his quality of life afterwards isn't affected
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 31, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 5

Always liked him..........hope he pulls through.
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 31, 2018, 3:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from promotion plaice

Always liked him..........hope he pulls through.

He’s the best, most informative guy on Talksport, I really like it when he’s on the Alan Brazil show. I hope he pulls through, he’s top class. AND I remember the Tango adverts he did years ago that got banned, they were brilliant too!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 31, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 7
I would guess his problems may be linked to his long standing alcohol addiction. He was talking about this when he was done for drink driving a couple of years or so ago. Let’s hope he has a full recovery.
Posted by: chaos33, March 31, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 8
Join others in hoping Ray pulls through. Good footballer. Good guy.
Posted by: Vance Warner, March 31, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 9
Really hope he pulls through always comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

Remember Gary Childs nutmegging him in a League Cup game against QPR that we lost on penalties. Still one of the best cup ties I've ever seen at BP. He was getting on by then but still oozed class.
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 31, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Vance Warner
Really hope he pulls through always comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

Remember Gary Childs nutmegging him in a League Cup game against QPR that we lost on penalties. Still one of the best cup ties I've ever seen at BP. He was getting on by then but still oozed class.

Did Butch play that night?! Didn’t know that.

We were fantastic that night, one of the best games I’ve seen. Unjust that we lost on penalties. Seem to think Sir Les did us in the first leg......
Posted by: livosnose, April 1, 2018, 11:35am; Reply: 11
Wilkins definitely played as player manager and I’m pretty certain Andy Sinton scored the winner and celebrated in front of the pontoon
Posted by: 75 (Guest), April 1, 2018, 11:37am; Reply: 12
That's right. I think Andy Impey, the man with no neck played that night as well.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 4, 2018, 2:12pm; Reply: 13
The full time whistle has blown for Ray, RIP. A great player in his day and a charismatic manager.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 4, 2018, 2:31pm; Reply: 14
Shame!

RIP Ray.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, April 4, 2018, 2:34pm; Reply: 15
RIP Ray... Great footballer in his day and very knowledgeable pundit.
Posted by: Cloudy, April 4, 2018, 2:38pm; Reply: 16
A reminder of the precarious live we all live.

A fit man, spent lots of time outdoors in the fresh air and is taken at the young age of 61
Posted by: Grim74, April 4, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 17
Sad news RIP Ray top man.
Posted by: Teestogreen, April 4, 2018, 2:57pm; Reply: 18
He was a very young captain in a successful Chelsea team at the time - always spoke in a measured way without criticising anyone I thought. Same age as me as it happens - so as Cloudy says - put things in to perspective.

Posted by: ackomariner, April 4, 2018, 3:10pm; Reply: 19
RIP Ray, such a nice chap...
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 4, 2018, 3:12pm; Reply: 20
Very sad. I saw him play for Chelsea in his early days and he was a precocious talent. Not many managed to make some success in Italy either though personally I never thought it improved him as a player and I thought he was rather disappointing at Man U as well. But he came good at Glasgow Rangers. Clever and knowledgable about the game and he was certainly one of the better “expert” opinions on the box. Sadly missed so young, hard on his family too. RIP Butch.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 4, 2018, 3:21pm; Reply: 21
Sad news RIP  Butch.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 4, 2018, 3:32pm; Reply: 22
Used to really enjoy his co-commentary on Football Italia back in the day. RIP.
Posted by: Davec, April 4, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 23
Nationwide minute applause/silence over the weekend I hope.
Posted by: fishyfanny, April 4, 2018, 6:13pm; Reply: 24
RIP Butch
Posted by: Perkins, April 4, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Davec
Nationwide minute applause/silence over the weekend I hope.

Great player and a nice bloke but , i don't really see why a minutes silence at
BP is relevant or necessary.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, April 4, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 26
Sad news.

I for one hope football in general sees fit to pay tribute to a classy player and a true gentleman. He was a former captain of England. I think that warrants respect from the entire football community.

I think you will find it difficult to find anyone who had met him to say a bad word about him.

Even as a former United player (which would usually be reason enough to dislike a player for me) I liked him. As a player and later as a pundit. Some players are able to transcend divides. Ray Wilkins was one of them imo.

It's the Manchester Derby on Saturday.  I would like to think City fans would join any tribute.

RIP
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 4, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 27
Very good player, very good broadcaster and clearly a really decent man. Such a shame 61 is no age really.

The goal in the 83 cup final was as good as you’ll see, terrific technique!

In the mid/late 80s only the best went to Italy and lasted, that’s all you need to know about Ray Wilkins.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 5, 2018, 9:52pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Teestogreen
He was a very young captain in a successful Chelsea team at the time - always spoke in a measured way without criticising anyone I thought. Same age as me as it happens - so as Cloudy says - put things in to perspective.

And me too TTG - as you say makes you realise the Grim Reaper is never too far away

As for his play, I always remember his goal against Belgium in the 1980 Euros. Absolute top class!

RIP Ray
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 5, 2018, 10:06pm; Reply: 29
Triffic Ralph.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 5, 2018, 10:37pm; Reply: 30

RIP Ray Wilkins.

Non football but thought he was also worth a mention.......Five-time world darts champion Eric Bristow has died at the age of 60, suspected heart attack.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 5, 2018, 10:50pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from promotion plaice

RIP Ray Wilkins.

Non football but thought he was also worth a mention.......Five-time world darts champion Eric Bristow has died at the age of 60, suspected heart attack.

Yeah just saw this on the news

A larger than life talent and character at a young age who had a great impact on his profession

Another taken much too early.   RIP Eric 😔
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 4:44am