Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jaws, March 29, 2018, 2:32pm
Club statement on the Port Vale game

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/club-statement/

"Access to the Mariners Trust Bar in the Young’s Stand has changed for supporters sitting in the Young’s Lower Stand." Does this mean we get in a different way, or only certain people are allowed in? Can anyone shed any light?
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 29, 2018, 2:47pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Jaws

All of which would have been prevented by having half a dozen coppers inside the ground. !!!!
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 29, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 2
A response to a problem that wouldn't of occured if the club had forked out for the police presence that is required when playing against a side with a known element that Vale have.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 29, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 3
Brain dead morons spoil it for everyone once again. Does have the ring of closing the stable door about it.
Posted by: Grim74, March 29, 2018, 3:36pm; Reply: 4
Why not just exit all away fans on to Harrington street?
Posted by: ginnywings, March 29, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Grim74
Why not just exit all away fans on to Harrington street?

Too much dogsh1t.  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 29, 2018, 3:50pm; Reply: 6

1 "All public bars will not open during the second half of any fixture."

A crafty way of forcing us to watch the second half   ;)
Posted by: darren9, March 29, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 7
The biggest issue with the problems against port vale was the club not paying to have police in the ground. This is despite the obvious intelligence held by the police who had increased their presence in the area during the build up to the game.

The statement from the club makes no reference to this and while I accept that football should be free from this issues I also know that it isn’t and failure to take the necessary steps leads to scenes like the ones we saw.

The blaming of fans and the suggestion that it was alcohol fuelled shows a basic lack of understanding of the problems encountered on that day and those that will be encountered in the future. Alcohol may have had a small influence on the events but it was not the main issue.  The issue was that a certain element from port vale travelled and were not correctly policed once inside the ground that our risk element were also not effectively controlled. Disorder would have occurred if alcohol was not sold in the ground.

It is easy to blame th supporters. To suggest that they are mindless thugs who need to be treated as such but it’s not the case. A small number of the crowd on that particular day were inent on causing disorder in the ground. The way to combat this would be be either to have police in the ground or to have the right number of correctly trained stewards in the ground. Neither of which happened and allowed the disorder to take place.

Punishing all fans is just another example of how out of touch those who run our football club are.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 29, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from darren9
The biggest issue with the problems against port vale was the club not paying to have police in the ground. This is despite the obvious intelligence held by the police who had increased their presence in the area during the build up to the game.

The statement from the club makes no reference to this and while I accept that football should be free from this issues I also know that it isn’t and failure to take the necessary steps leads to scenes like the ones we saw.

The blaming of fans and the suggestion that it was alcohol fuelled shows a basic lack of understanding of the problems encountered on that day and those that will be encountered in the future. Alcohol may have had a small influence on the events but it was not the main issue.  The issue was that a certain element from port vale travelled and were not correctly policed once inside the ground that our risk element were also not effectively controlled. Disorder would have occurred if alcohol was not sold in the ground.

It is easy to blame th supporters. To suggest that they are mindless thugs who need to be treated as such but it’s not the case. A small number of the crowd on that particular day were inent on causing disorder in the ground. The way to combat this would be be either to have police in the ground or to have the right number of correctly trained stewards in the ground. Neither of which happened and allowed the disorder to take place.

Punishing all fans is just another example of how out of touch those who run our football club are.

Exactly. The actions of a few idiots and a complete failure in stadium management has been brushed aside and blamed on booze. A couple of coppers between the two sets of fans would’ve stopped that.  Another example of those at the club not taking any responsiblty for their failures and the masses being punished for it.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 29, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 9
"We are disappointed that the actions of a small number of Port Vale, Grimsby Town and other Football Club’s supporters have inconvenienced many of our honest, well-behaved and law-abiding supporters."

Accept the club was at fault for not protecting paying customers..

Accept club is in the dark ages if they think football violence is purely alcohol driven..

Review club policy on stewarding and liaising with police prior to home matches..

Police in the ground for the half dozen or so "high risk" games per season..

Visiting supporters entry and exit via Harrington Street only..

No need to inconvenience honest, well-behaved and law-abiding supporters..
Posted by: oochiad, March 29, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 10
It’s ridiculous, the club should admit responsibility for not having any Police inside the ground when it was obvious there was potential for trouble.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 29, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 11
Another nail in the club/fan relationship.

Nobody with any sense would condone any idiot who ends up fighting at a football match and I certainly wouldn't however even with hindsight the club, and in particular the 'safety officer', still won't admit any error of judgement!

Every man and his dog knew that Vale would bring a few idiots and also that Town also have a few loonies who attach themselves to the club when news gets out who the oppo are and who are likely to bring some 'boys'. The only person who either didn't know or chose not to react to the police advice is the safety officer! He often quotes 'intelligence' yet his arrogance knows no bounds( wonder who he gets that from?)

The bottom line is it is the ordinary fan who gets punished. I have drunk my last pint in The so called Trust bar. I refuse to drink out of plastic glasses or paper cups. I have never ever seen one incident in that bar before any game. Not one!

The sooner the Trust removed themselves from their increasing attachment to the club the better. I doubt they will, they have admitted to being fully involved in putting this statement together. I admire one or two on the Trust board but the some are so aligned to Fenty and opposed to the fans it is unbelievable.

I can't wait for the season to end and with it I am sad to say my ongoing support.

The whole club needs the biggest shake up ever from board room to office. I won't hold my breath
Posted by: mariner91, March 29, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 12
More evidence unfortunately that Fenty will not and cannot accept responsibility for anything. It's also yet another example of the contempt that the board hold the fans in, thinking that we're gullible enough to just accept anything they say not realising that we're fully aware that the blame lies mostly with the club for refusing to pay for police in the ground.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 29, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from oochiad
It’s ridiculous, the club should admit responsibility for not having any Police inside the ground when it was obvious there was potential for trouble.

They should but won't
Posted by: Tommy, March 29, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Cloudy
I admire one or two on the Trust board but the some are so aligned to Fenty and opposed to the fans it is unbelievable.

This in itself defies belief.

At least, it would anywhere else than here.

People opposed to the fans, in the hierarchy of an organisation set up to serve/represent the fans.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 29, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 15
Presumably this will make it that little bit harder for the Trust to pay its annual £30,000 fee for board membership, when it should come free anyway because the Trust is providing its expertise as fans for free. (well if that argument for the 3 stooges, then it's good enough for our representative).

As for alcohol fuelled violence, the club's safety officer has clearly never heard of pubs or shops.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 29, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 16
I wonder if the bars in McMenemy's will have the same restrictions imposed?  ;)
Posted by: TAGG, March 29, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 17
As usual from Team Fenty let’s intercourse over the fans.
Do your research and be prepared.
A few PV lads wanting a punch up was well known hours before the game.
Stick half a dozen coppers in the ground it would never have happened.
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Cloudy
Another nail in the club/fan relationship.

Nobody with any sense would condone any idiot who ends up fighting at a football match and I certainly wouldn't however even with hindsight the club, and in particular the 'safety officer', still won't admit any error of judgement!

Every man and his dog knew that Vale would bring a few idiots and also that Town also have a few loonies who attach themselves to the club when news gets out who the oppo are and who are likely to bring some 'boys'. The only person who either didn't know or chose not to react to the police advice is the safety officer! He often quotes 'intelligence' yet his arrogance knows no bounds( wonder who he gets that from?)

The bottom line is it is the ordinary fan who gets punished. I have drunk my last pint in The so called Trust bar. I refuse to drink out of plastic glasses or paper cups. I have never ever seen one incident in that bar before any game. Not one!

The sooner the Trust removed themselves from their increasing attachment to the club the better. I doubt they will, they have admitted to being fully involved in putting this statement together. I admire one or two on the Trust board but the some are so aligned to Fenty and opposed to the fans it is unbelievable.

I can't wait for the season to end and with it I am sad to say my ongoing support.

The whole club needs the biggest shake up ever from board room to office. I won't hold my breath

It isn't my business to challenge a clearly deeply held opinion but I was rather hoping/expecting you could provide some evidence to back up the rather startling highlighted claim. I won't hold my breath.
Just in case anyone is remotely interested in some facts the repercussions from the Port Vale game and the ensuing statement will be discussed at next week's Trust Board meeting and the details of the discussion will be contained within the minutes of said meeting.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 29, 2018, 9:16pm; Reply: 19
Think you re all going a bit o.t.t on this.    I'm sure it'll get sorted once the supporters liaison officer gets on the case
Posted by: TAGG, March 29, 2018, 9:21pm; Reply: 20
Is the Trust name on this statement / did they agree to the statement????
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 29, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from barralad

It isn't my business to challenge a clearly deeply held opinion but I was rather hoping/expecting you could provide some evidence to back up the rather startling highlighted claim. I won't hold my breath.
Just in case anyone is remotely interested in some facts the repercussions from the Port Vale game and the ensuing statement will be discussed at next week's Trust Board meeting and the details of the discussion will be contained within the minutes of said meeting.

This what the club said :-

"the Football Club has conducted a thorough internal investigation in partnership with the relevant local stakeholders that also entailed discussions with The Mariners Trust."

Are you saying that the Trust didn't agree with the action the club is taking?

Time for the Trust to speak up if it didn't agree with the statement otherwise it will continue to look like it has it's head up John Fenty's bottom.
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from TAGG
Is the Trust name on this statement / did they agree to the statement????

Despite your usual lack of manners and willingness to enter into reasoned debate I'll assume these questions are aimed at me.
The answer to the first question is clearly "No". There is a clue in the title.
The answer to the second question is a qualified "Yes" after a great deal of discussion.
I don't really like doing so but this once I'll repeat myself. The events of March 10 and since will be the subject of discussion at next week's meeting of the Trust Board.
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry

This what the club said :-

"the Football Club has conducted a thorough internal investigation in partnership with the relevant local stakeholders that also entailed discussions with The Mariners Trust."

Are you saying that the Trust didn't agree with the action the club is taking?

Time for the Trust to speak up if it didn't agree with the statement otherwise it will continue to look like it has it's head up John Fenty's bottom.

The Trust were involved in part of the discussions.

Posted by: friskneymariner, March 29, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 24
The Port Vale idiots were kicking off in Cleethorpes and confronting the police,surely this was passed to the club,did the club expect that they would all settle down and watch the match.

There is a significant degree of wilful negligence here ,nothing to do with drinking inside the ground. The club's action is an attempt to deflect where the culpability really lies.
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 29, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from barralad

Despite your usual lack of manners and willingness to enter into reasoned debate I'll assume these questions are aimed at me.
The answer to the second question is a qualified "Yes" after a great deal of discussion.
I don't really like doing so but this once I'll repeat myself. The events of March 10 and since will be the subject of discussion at next week's meeting of the Trust Board.

At any of these meetings did the Stadium safety officer or the board admit in any way their part in this fuk up ?  
Or was the blame laid entirely at the feet of the fans as per. Of course our fans were not entirely innocent. But if they had been, totally innocent fans in the lower would have become victims. As usual, the innocent fans get fuked  over while those in authority dodge the bullet.
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Civvy at last

At any of these meetings did the Stadium safety officer or the board admit in any way their part in this fuk up ?  
Or was the blame laid entirely at the feet of the fans as per. Of course our fans were not entirely innocent. But if they had been, totally innocent fans in the lower would have become victims. As usual, the innocent fans get fuked  over while those in authority dodge the bullet.

I'm afraid I wasn't present at any of the meetings. When I talk about discussions I'm talking about the discussions which took place amongst the Trust Board.

Posted by: TAGG, March 29, 2018, 9:54pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from barralad

No not aimed at you.
It was just a general question.
I don’t know who the intercourse you are.

Are you one of Fentys team???
Posted by: realist, March 29, 2018, 9:54pm; Reply: 28
Usual spineless shite from someone from the trust.  Stand up and be counted  for once and stop all the secrecy.
Posted by: oochiad, March 29, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 29
It’s making my blood boil to be fair. I take my old man(84) I live in Yorkshire and going to the matches is our get together as father and son time. Now of late with the performance being shite we quite often end up watching the abit of the second half in the main stand bar which is great. Because the club have been negligent in crowd control( to tight arsed to hire plod) we re all made to pay. Tossers.
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from TAGG

No not aimed at you.

***Sigh*** Oh well saved somebody else from answering.
I'm Ian Townsend Treasurer (for now) of the Mariners Trust.
You'd better ask Cloudy. I might be wrong but I think he thinks I might be rather too close to a certain part of Mr Fenty's anatomy. I've probably spoken to J.F. about 20 times in my entire life and always regarding Trust business.
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from realist
Usual spineless shite from someone from the trust.  Stand up and be counted  for once and stop all the secrecy.

There's a certain irony in someone who hides behind a keyboard calling someone spineless.
Posted by: TAGG, March 29, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from barralad

***Sigh*** Oh well saved somebody else from answering.
I'm Ian Townsend Treasurer (for now) of the Mariners Trust.
You'd better ask Cloudy. I might be wrong but I think he thinks I might be rather too close to a certain part of Mr Fenty's anatomy. I've probably spoken to J.F. about 20 times in my entire life and always regarding Trust business.

It would be nice on the 21st time you speak up for the fans.
Posted by: realist, March 29, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 33
Shove your irony up your bottom.  Dont you think that it is ironic that the organisation you are part of claims to be for the fans but you spend most of your time subservient to the board working against the fans you should be representing.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 29, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from barralad

The evidence of the Trust involvement in the decision and the statement was confirmed in the official Mariners Trust tweet and the statement itself refers to Trust involvement.
That is the evidence as why I, and many others, feel the Trust is being manipulated by the club, willingly or not.
It is ok the Trust discussing the matter next week at their meeting but until they have it is my opinion that they should not have allowed their name to be associated with the public statement. The inclusion suggests that maybe one or two people have been involved? Maybe the Trust chairman? The Trust tweet and your response Mr Barralad suggests that most of the Trust board haven't given their views, perhaps because of logistics or perhaps because others are becoming to strong and just tow the club line? May be wrong but a question many will ask!

It is my view that the only way the Trust can survive is to step away from the Club board, hand back the keys to the bar and then they may just start get the fans on their side.

As I repeatedly state, this is my opinion, that is what a message board is for
Posted by: friskneymariner, March 29, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TAGG

No not aimed at you.

I can assure you Ian is not one of Fenty's team he is one of us and although I do not always agree with his view he is very approachable and gives a lot of time for the Trust.
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2018, 10:49pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Cloudy

The evidence of the Trust involvement in the decision and the statement was confirmed in the official Mariners Trust tweet and the statement itself refers to Trust involvement.
That is the evidence as why I, and many others, feel the Trust is being manipulated by the club, willingly or not.
It is ok the Trust discussing the matter next week at their meeting but until they have it is my opinion that they should not have allowed their name to be associated with the public statement. The inclusion suggests that maybe one or two people have been involved? Maybe the Trust chairman? The Trust tweet and your response Mr Barralad suggests that most of the Trust board haven't given their views, perhaps because of logistics or perhaps because others are becoming to strong and just tow the club line? May be wrong but a question many will ask!

It is my view that the only way the Trust can survive is to step away from the Club board, hand back the keys to the bar and then they may just start get the fans on their side.

As I repeatedly state, this is my opinion, that is what a message board is for

I have no wish to prevent you having an opinion but I reserve the right to fundamentally disagree with it and when I cannot see any evidence ask you to provide some. Nothing you have said in this latest reply provides any evidence whatsoever to back up your claim that some members of the Trust Board are aligned to J.F. or are opposed to the fans. For the record I work almost daily with the volunteers on the Yrust Board and I've yet to meet anyone to whom your two "descriptors" could be attached.
Posted by: OneLove, March 30, 2018, 7:42am; Reply: 37
Catch 22, if they shut the bars for the second half and we are playing turd as per usual, folk will just leave the ground anyway and go for a beer elsewhere, or just leave the bars open and let fans drink in the ground and keep the tills rolling. Just another gunshot fired at us fans by the twits above.
Posted by: MarinerWY, March 30, 2018, 10:10am; Reply: 38
Really disappointing. So the club ignored police advice in the interest of saving a few bob, and we all get punished for it? Ridiculous.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 30, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 39
Quoted from barralad

I have no wish to prevent you having an opinion but I reserve the right to fundamentally disagree with it and when I cannot see any evidence ask you to provide some. Nothing you have said in this latest reply provides any evidence whatsoever to back up your claim that some members of the Trust Board are aligned to J.F. or are opposed to the fans. For the record I work almost daily with the volunteers on the Yrust Board and I've yet to meet anyone to whom your two "descriptors" could be attached.

I understand what you’re saying. I don’t wish to get at you and this certainly isn’t a dig at yourself as understand their has been loads of great things done by members of the Trust board. However does the fact that a statement made by the Trust had been written from within the club for the Trust to put out not show that certain members of the Trust board are too closely aligned to the board?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 30, 2018, 10:25am; Reply: 40
I’ve just read most of the above and pose the question “we’re all Town aren’t we”?

Regardless of the topic having a go at Barra won’t solve anything. Unlike many involved in decisions associated with supporters of GTFC he is big enough to participate on here and deserves I bit of courtesy for that.
Posted by: davmariner, March 30, 2018, 10:28am; Reply: 41
A key point that the club has tried to sweep under the carpet is its decision to not have police in the ground during the game (I can only assume for money reasons). This endangered many fans and highlights again the incompetence of those at the top.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 30, 2018, 11:11am; Reply: 42
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I’ve just read most of the above and pose the question “we’re all Town aren’t we”?

Regardless of the topic having a go at Barra won’t solve anything. Unlike many involved in decisions associated with supporters of GTFC he is big enough to participate on here and deserves I bit of courtesy for that.

I have said previously that if people are not happy with how the trust is run attend the AGM and vote accordingly for those you want to run it ( that is if anyone wants the hassle still). As for Port Vale game the fact that two bus loads arrived early in Cleethorpes and caused trouble requiring a “royalty style” police escort to the ground minutes before kick off should have been sufficient reason to reassess any pre-determined decision not to have police inside the ground.

As for closing the bars does not affect me personally as have to drive back to Lincoln afterwards but seems overkill to me.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), March 30, 2018, 11:16am; Reply: 43
Has the Trust (or anyone) asked the club to explain the absence of plod against Vale?

Visiting team with a known trouble-making element, yet no police on duty inside the ground.
My evaluation in respect of crowd safety: Shoddy verging on negligent.

And it further tarnished the reputation of Grimsby fans.

Maybe that's what JF wanted...cos' I'm sure he hates us.

Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 30, 2018, 11:29am; Reply: 44
They release this the day before the most important game for a long long time. What are they thinking!
Posted by: barralad, March 30, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 45
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I understand what you’re saying. I don’t wish to get at you and this certainly isn’t a dig at yourself as understand their has been loads of great things done by members of the Trust board. However does the fact that a statement made by the Trust had been written from within the club for the Trust to put out not show that certain members of the Trust board are too closely aligned to the board?

I'm getting a bit confused now. I suspect the statement you are referring to is the one which contributed to Bax's resignation. Whilst people are perfectly entitled to draw whatever conclusions they like when presented with information it is my experience that things are rarely exactly as they seem.
If you are referring to the statement regarding the Port Vale game then I can say without doubt that the statement was written by the club. The club are entitled to put out whatever they wish to put out and people will draw their own conclusions which is exactly what has happened. The Trust were not involved in the external meetings with local stakeholders.  As I've said several times now we will discuss the whole affair next Wednesday. I'm not saying this applies to you Headingley but it is ridiculous to expect a response from the Trust before we've had the chance to discuss events as a group where everyone's opinions are valid and should be heard.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 30, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 46

To get you out of the bars second half they turn the Town game off on the telly after the first 15 minutes.......just saying.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 30, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from barralad

I'm getting a bit confused now. I suspect the statement you are referring to is the one which contributed to Bax's resignation. Whilst people are perfectly entitled to draw whatever conclusions they like when presented with information it is my experience that things are rarely exactly as they seem.
If you are referring to the statement regarding the Port Vale game then I can say without doubt that the statement was written by the club. The club are entitled to put out whatever they wish to put out and people will draw their own conclusions which is exactly what has happened. The Trust were not involved in the external meetings with local stakeholders.  As I've said several times now we will discuss the whole affair next Wednesday. I'm not saying this applies to you Headingley but it is ridiculous to expect a response from the Trust before we've had the chance to discuss events as a group where everyone's opinions are valid and should be heard.

Sorry I should have made it clear I was referring to the statement Bax mentioned on here recently.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 31, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from promotion plaice

To get you out of the bars second half they turn the Town game off on the telly after the first 15 minutes.......just saying.

on the current run they should try turning the game ON in the bars instead if they want people to get out  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, March 31, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from TAGG

Stick half a dozen coppers in the ground it would never have happened.

Funny as that what it looks like they did yesterday......to keep the infamous Stevenage Squad in check .. ;D  Worked a treat, not a jot of violence all day.
Posted by: toontown, March 31, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 50
Yeah I noticed they had 4 coppers in the ground, so about 1 for every 25 stevenage fans (ish) - wonder how many that would have meant for the Vale game? Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 31, 2018, 4:15pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from 137
Has the Trust (or anyone) asked the club to explain the absence of plod against Vale?

Visiting team with a known trouble-making element, yet no police on duty inside the ground.
My evaluation in respect of crowd safety: Shoddy verging on negligent.

And it further tarnished the reputation of Grimsby fans.

Maybe that's what JF wanted...cos' I'm sure he hates us.

I recall RH asked the club and the police for a statement after what happened

A spokesman from the police came on air to put their side of the story but as far as I'm aware the club have deigned not to reply (as yet)

Maybe they are still working on the Stevenage bra-gate incidents statement before they get round to dealing the Port Vale shenanigans
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 4:01pm