Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: cannylad68, March 26, 2018, 8:04am
When I heard Burnsey say that Phil Brown had been offered the manager's job for 10 games.

It crossed my mind that perhaps MJ  may have had to pay for the privilege of being Grimsby Town's manager.
Posted by: Simariner, March 26, 2018, 8:16am; Reply: 1
MJ is probably on a 10 game contract too.  It does make sense...  But I'd thought what ever happens he'll still be the Gaffa' next season
Posted by: cannylad68, March 26, 2018, 8:23am; Reply: 2
JF to PB, 'how much are you prepared to pay for the privilege of being manager for 10 games?'
Posted by: SomeSanity, March 26, 2018, 8:42am; Reply: 3
Quoted from cannylad68
JF to PB, 'how much are you prepared to pay for the privilege of being manager for 10 games?'

It wouldn't surprise me with GTFC. A first team manager matchday experience with Wilko appointed 'Gaffer Liaison Officer' because we have one for every bloody thing else.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 26, 2018, 10:22am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Simariner
MJ is probably on a 10 game contract too.  It does make sense...  But I'd thought what ever happens he'll still be the Gaffa' next season

Regardless of contract length ,he may well only get 10 games if he doesn't manage to win one or stop us conceding goals before the season is over. Really wouldn't suprise me.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 26, 2018, 11:18am; Reply: 5
Quoted from cannylad68
When I heard Burnsey say that Phil Brown had been offered the manager's job for 10 games.

It crossed my mind that perhaps MJ  may have had to pay for the privilege of being Grimsby Town's manager.

As he was a City Banker I’d doubt MJ was skint.

I wonder if he’s got the odd 2 million kicking around!
Posted by: chaos33, March 26, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 6
I really feel that we'll be a good team under MJ next season whichever division we are in. If we are relegated and he's dispensed with having not had a chance to build his own team then that really would be the cherry on the cake of ineptitude.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 26, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33
I really feel that we'll be a good team under MJ next season whichever division we are in. If we are relegated and he's dispensed with having not had a chance to build his own team then that really would be the cherry on the cake of ineptitude.

Totally agree with this Phil, my lad and me was just saying the same thing this morning.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, March 26, 2018, 3:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Totally agree with this Phil, my lad and me was just saying the same thing this morning.

As ridiculous as it might sound, the first ten minutes of the second half on Saturday was the best I've seen Town play all season (and we were decent all through the first half too). Just as we were right on top, Woolford dithered when a pass through to Wilks would've put him clear through. He fluffed it, lost the ball and they ran down and scored. Game over. But that first bit made me think he's got something if we can give him the time to sort out the awful mess he's inherited.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 26, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 9
I've every confidence that if the worst happens and we are relegated this season, then MJ will put together a team capable of bouncing straight back up!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 26, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from chaos33

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. In fact i hope he's not reading this because it'll give him ideas.
Posted by: toontown, March 26, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I've every confidence that if the worst happens and we are relegated this season, then MJ will put together a team capable of bouncing straight back up!

i believe in MJ too, and deffo think he should be retained regardless of divion, but i think the above sounds massively complacent about the conference, the sort of thing we might have said before we had experience of it.

Paul Hurst, who is currently proving just what a good manager he is, had about 4 goes, with a budget greater than any we will have if we were to go down again, and rarely threatened automatic promotion. MJ would have to be an absolute genius to bounce straight back with what he will have to work with. A play-off birth would be amazing quite frankly, which carries a 75% chance of failing.
Posted by: rancido, March 27, 2018, 10:39am; Reply: 12
Quoted from chaos33
I really feel that we'll be a good team under MJ next season whichever division we are in. If we are relegated and he's dispensed with having not had a chance to build his own team[b][/b] then that really would be the cherry on the cake of ineptitude.

You mean like Bignot ?
Posted by: rancido, March 27, 2018, 10:41am; Reply: 13
Quoted from toontown

i believe in MJ too, and deffo think he should be retained regardless of divion, but i think the above sounds massively complacent about the conference, the sort of thing we might have said before we had experience of it.

Paul Hurst, who is currently proving just what a good manager he is, had about 4 goes, with a budget greater than any we will have if we were to go down again, and rarely threatened automatic promotion. MJ would have to be an absolute genius to bounce straight back with what he will have to work with. A play-off birth would be amazing quite frankly, which carries a 75% chance of failing.

I'm not so sure about that. Isn't the parachute payment more now and for a longer period if we drop into non-league ?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 27, 2018, 12:18pm; Reply: 14
Its the full L2 amount season 1 then about half in season 2 I believe.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 27, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from rancido

I'm not so sure about that. Isn't the parachute payment more now and for a longer period if we drop into non-league ?

How much is the parachute payment?

If it's maybe £2 million, then perhaps we might be better off letting JF take the money and disappear so that we can start on an even keel without him getting the purse strings all tangled up in knots again
Posted by: ginnywings, March 27, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 16
Nowhere near 2 million. Last time i looked the basic award was £400,000 ish and the Premier League solidarity payment the same. Not sure but i think we maybe get the basic award for 1 year and 50% for another year. Don't know if the solidarity payments continue, so it could be less than half a million?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 27, 2018, 1:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
Nowhere near 2 million. Last time i looked the basic award was £400,000 ish and the Premier League solidarity payment the same. Not sure but i think we maybe get the basic award for 1 year and 50% for another year. Don't know if the solidarity payments continue, so it could be less than half a million?

Damn!  There goes my wishful thinking!  :-/
Posted by: ginnywings, March 27, 2018, 1:38pm; Reply: 18
One thing is for sure, if we do go down and don't get straight back, then all the work behind the scenes will be in jeopardy. The youth system and the extra coaching staff will feel the squeeze first, not to mention the playing staff. It'll be a disaster, and one we should have fought tooth and nail to avoid.  :-/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 27, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings
One thing is for sure, if we do go down and don't get straight back, then all the work behind the scenes will be in jeopardy. The youth system and the extra coaching staff will feel the squeeze first, not to mention the playing staff. It'll be a disaster, and one we should have fought tooth and nail to avoid.  :-/

We as fans have done Ginny

It's those "in charge" who have brought about this desperate situation  :(
Posted by: Grantley, March 27, 2018, 2:50pm; Reply: 20
Thought parachute payments were 500k in the first year, 250k in the second? May have changed since I last looked.
Posted by: Kris2, March 27, 2018, 3:50pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I'm sure we assumed that last time we went down too. That's not such an easy thing and MJ is a manager still learning the game and getting experience. I don't see him being some magic spell that will make everything better again.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 27, 2018, 3:55pm; Reply: 22
I doubt that many people assumed that Neil Woods was capable of putting together a capable team.
Posted by: Tommy, March 27, 2018, 4:05pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Kris2

I'm sure we assumed that last time we went down too. That's not such an easy thing and MJ is a manager still learning the game and getting experience. I don't see him being some magic spell that will make everything better again.

I think we thought that after each of our relegations since the turn of the century from the Championship, League One and League Two. Think it's natural as most clubs fans would hope for an immediate challenge to get back as you feel like you're below where you belong.

Obviously of the 3 divisions we've been relegated from in this time we've only returned back to 1. And that took 6 years.

I think we'd still be entitled to hope for an immediate return though. Wouldn't "expect" it, but certainly couldn't rule it out.

One thing that became apparent the longer we were in the conference is that the view of "it takes a few years to adjust and settle into Non League before a challenge" is a load of rubbish. It was used for teams like us, Luton, Wrexham and Mansfield but that was just an excuse for failure really.

Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham came down and went straight back up to make a mockery of that view.

Get it right with set up of the club, managerial appointment and the playing side and it can clearly be done.

Not saying we would, but just we shouldn't accept the "time to adjust" excuse.
Posted by: marinerjase, March 27, 2018, 4:25pm; Reply: 24
Might be difficult to build a squad to challenge with only 4 contracted, given there’s going to be a massive deficit in accounts next year, and season ticket/merchandise sales down, little or no confidence in board etc
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 27, 2018, 5:22pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from marinerjase
Might be difficult to build a squad to challenge with only 4 contracted, given there’s going to be a massive deficit in accounts next year, and season ticket/merchandise sales down, little or no confidence competence in board etc

Just a slight edit for you... ;)

Posted by: Bigdog, March 29, 2018, 10:52am; Reply: 26
Quoted from marinerjase
Might be difficult to build a squad to challenge with only 4 contracted, given there’s going to be a massive deficit in accounts next year, and season ticket/merchandise sales down, little or no confidence in board etc

Can't see us competing budget wise with the likes of Dover. Apparently we couldn't on 5k gates last time round..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 29, 2018, 10:50pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Damn!  There goes my wishful thinking!  :-/

And Fenty's  ;)
Posted by: Myoclonic Jerk, March 30, 2018, 8:12am; Reply: 28
To add to some of the above have the conference playoffs changed to a six team format now?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 30, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Myoclonic Jerk
To add to some of the above have the conference playoffs changed to a six team format now?

Yes. Teams placed 4th to 6th have to have a round of matches to see who faces the 2nd and 3rd placed teams in the play off semis.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 30, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 30
I think JF appointed MJ as the manager to bring us back up as much as the man to keep us up hence all the stuff about long term building.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 31, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think JF appointed MJ as the manager to bring us back up as much as the man to keep us up hence all the stuff about long term building.

So Jolley is now taking over the building process that Slade was always talking about is he?  ;)

Makes sense now why JF just had to keep Wilko on.....so that there was some continuity in the building, interpreting the PowerPoints etc.
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 1:15pm