Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 17, 2018, 6:41pm
Why am I still debating going to this on Saturday?

I'm 95% certain we will lose, and lose convincingly, but I still want to go...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 17, 2018, 6:44pm; Reply: 1
That's just the way we are Jarmo. Infected.
Posted by: chicaneuk, March 17, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 2
My local game.. been waiting for this fixture for years, so regardless of our form, I have to go!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 17, 2018, 7:07pm; Reply: 3
Are we expecting to take a few?
Posted by: GrimRob, March 17, 2018, 7:11pm; Reply: 4
That's the thing about football, you never know. It's a nailed-on home win, we've no chance whatsoever. But remember our win at Anfield came in the middle of a 20 match winless run, if I recall
Posted by: MarinerRob, March 17, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 5
I feel like I HAVE to keep going as I don't want to miss when they win a game, so I will be there.
Posted by: denni266, March 17, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 6
Not going to pay and watch woolford and berrett . his smooth talk dont work on me one bit
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), March 17, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 7
Was planning to do Coventry before heading back to Italy (as I haven't been since Cambridge away) but I'm not doing the 8hr round trip to watch another load of tripe
Posted by: LH, March 17, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from GrimRob
That's the thing about football, you never know. It's a nailed-on home win, we've no chance whatsoever. But remember our win at Anfield came in the middle of a 20 match winless run, if I recall

Well it wasn’t a twenty match winless run if we won in the middle of it then was it? ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, March 17, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 9
Couldn't resist a plug for one of my favourite all-time books (The Football Factory by John King), and definitely the best opening sentence every written.

[img]https://image.ibb.co/k4S32x/Capture.png[/img]
Posted by: Yoda, March 17, 2018, 8:58pm; Reply: 10
Coventry to win by three clear goals.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 17, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 11

If we win at Coventry.......Johnyboy will ride naked around Coventry on a horse   :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 18, 2018, 6:25am; Reply: 12
Got my tickets I will be there it's my decision I am not expecting miracles but want to show Jolley and the players they will have my support.
Posted by: MarinerWY, March 18, 2018, 10:52am; Reply: 13
Will be there with 3 others. Driving down from Leeds. Jolley and the players need our support: Slade has left a bloody mess and we have a load of players who ultimately aren't quite good enough. That said, I'm not seeing lack of effort and I will therefore give them all my backing. Jolley has to work miracles. Pleased with his appointment and if we ride this out till summer I'm confident he can put a decent squad together. UTM.
Posted by: MarinerRob, March 18, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 14
I've just ordered my ticket online for Coventry next week. I must have a screw loose but I want to be there when Town win a game (I DON'T expect that to happen next week)

Thinking back to yesterday. My wife had told me there was snow forecasted and bitter temperatures. On the train from Newark I looked on my phone and saw the Met office were issuing an amber warning from 4.00. Great! Was wrapped up quite well. After KFC and walking through a snow storm I got to the ground.

To be fair Town had a pretty fair 30 minutes including hitting the post at least once (maybe twice) but when Lincoln scored 3 in 8 minutes the game was over. However, they did keep going as it could have been a lot worse. Also at least we are seeing some action, more so than when Slade was here, so a little better in that department but a long way to go.

After the game a walk to the station in a heavy snow storm. My train to Newark didn't go to Newark North Gate (for the London train) but Newark Castle. And then another snow storrn as I walked across Newark to get to North Gate. I was the only person outside as all normal people were indoors. I was very thankful when I got on the Kings Cross train and got home to Surrey just about 7.00. About 3 hours earlier than I normally get home, so that was a sort of bonus.

I think that MJ will be great for Town but it will take a long time before we are challenging many teams in League Two if we stay up. But I do feel a little more hopeful. Maybe deluded! Who knows?
Posted by: Cloudy, March 18, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from denni266
Not going to pay and watch woolford and berrett . his smooth talk dont work on me one bit

But you stated previously that you haven't been going to games for months?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 18, 2018, 7:57pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MarinerRob
I've just ordered my ticket online for Coventry next week. I must have a screw loose but I want to be there when Town win a game (I DON'T expect that to happen next week)

Thinking back to yesterday. My wife had told me there was snow forecasted and bitter temperatures. On the train from Newark I looked on my phone and saw the Met office were issuing an amber warning from 4.00. Great! Was wrapped up quite well. After KFC and walking through a snow storm I got to the ground.

To be fair Town had a pretty fair 30 minutes including hitting the post at least once (maybe twice) but when Lincoln scored 3 in 8 minutes the game was over. However, they did keep going as it could have been a lot worse. Also at least we are seeing some action, more so than when Slade was here, so a little better in that department but a long way to go.

After the game a walk to the station in a heavy snow storm. My train to Newark didn't go to Newark North Gate (for the London train) but Newark Castle. And then another snow storrn as I walked across Newark to get to North Gate. I was the only person outside as all normal people were indoors. I was very thankful when I got on the Kings Cross train and got home to Surrey just about 7.00. About 3 hours earlier than I normally get home, so that was a sort of bonus.

I think that MJ will be great for Town but it will take a long time before we are challenging many teams in League Two if we stay up. But I do feel a little more hopeful. Maybe deluded! Who knows?

Cheers Rob. Makes me feel slightly more positive.

BTW you must have an understanding missus having you go off all day to watch Town. :-)

If it wasn’t for lack of childcare next weekend I’d be up in Cov next week. Just feel an overwhelming urge to be there.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 18, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 17
May be one of the last chances you get to see Town in a big, modern stadium, before it's back to non league sh1t tips.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, March 18, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob
Couldn't resist a plug for one of my favourite all-time books (The Football Factory by John King), and definitely the best opening sentence every written.

[img]https://image.ibb.co/k4S32x/Capture.png[/img]

I've quoted that opening line many times as one of my favourites too.
It's one of the few books that the film followed nearly to the letter, a cracking look at how life was at the time, not just football but society as a whole.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 18, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 19
Going, and would be delighted with a point.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 18, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 20
I'm not debating going anymore.... I am going.

Stranger things have happened in football.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, March 18, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 21
Me and Dad off.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 18, 2018, 11:05pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings
May be one of the last chances you get to see Town in a big, modern stadium, before it's back to non league sh1t tips.

Oh I'm sure we'll be back at Wembley in the Trophy in a year or two.

The other potential bright spot is Hampton & Richmond (some sort of naff sausage based joke in there) are doing very well in the Conference South and I could have one fairly easy journey to see Town and have a nice pint or three.
Posted by: hheh2, March 19, 2018, 12:18am; Reply: 23
3pts would change our season. Pray to the football gods
Posted by: chicaneuk, March 19, 2018, 8:16am; Reply: 24
For anyone that likes real ale and wants a drink of something decent before the game, we have a very good local brewery making a great range of beer called Byatt's and they've opened a tap room at the brewery. It's about a 20 minute walk from the Ricoh Arena. Details here:

https://www.byattsbrewery.co.uk/bar/

No association with them at all - just happy to promote a good local business and their beer is good too :)
Posted by: forza ivano, March 19, 2018, 9:56am; Reply: 25
Quoted from chicaneuk
For anyone that likes real ale and wants a drink of something decent before the game, we have a very good local brewery making a great range of beer called Byatt's and they've opened a tap room at the brewery. It's about a 20 minute walk from the Ricoh Arena. Details here:

https://www.byattsbrewery.co.uk/bar/

No association with them at all - just happy to promote a good local business and their beer is good too :)

looks good! is there any parking there?
Posted by: chicaneuk, March 19, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from forza ivano

looks good! is there any parking there?

Yep - it's a little light industrial park and, checking on street view (still not actually made it up there yet myself, despite being a local!) there seems to be ample parking :)
Posted by: barralad, March 19, 2018, 7:20pm; Reply: 27
Seems a good opportunity to make the first use of a recently acquired senior persons railcard.. 8)
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 19, 2018, 7:41pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from barralad
Seems a good opportunity to make the first use of a recently acquired senior persons railcard.. 8)

Does your son know you’ve borrowed it though  Barra  ;)
Posted by: G.T.F.C, March 20, 2018, 6:43am; Reply: 29
I Was told yesterday that we’ve sold 250 so far thought they’d be more takers even given our current plight, 5 of us going and staying over UTM!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 20, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 30
Quoted from promotion plaice

If we win at Coventry.......Johnyboy will ride naked around Coventry on a horse   :)

No if we win at coventry .....i will let the horse ride on me while naked around coventry.

Didnt sound right that did it  ;D
Posted by: conscorner, March 20, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 31
For anyone thinking of going to Coventry,  the GTFC web site states that the match is all ticket with no on the day sales
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 20, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 32
Quoted from conscorner
For anyone thinking of going to Coventry,  the GTFC web site states that the match is all ticket with no on the day sales

It's an absolute nonsense. I've still not made my mind up about going, but because I don't live anywhere near Blundell Park I apparently need to decide by tomorrow if I want to get tickets posted out (at additional cost!) in time. I wouldn't have an issue if the game was likely to be a sellout, but it's taking place in a 30,000 capacity stadium which is likely to be a third full at most. Yet again no consideration given to supporters from the clowns who make these decisions. Wouldn't it be great if Fenty and co hadn't ostracised our former excellent SLO and replaced her with a yes man inside the club who hasn't the first idea of how to represent our supporters travelling to away games.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 20, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Chrisblor

It's an absolute nonsense. I've still not made my mind up about going, but because I don't live anywhere near Blundell Park I apparently need to decide by tomorrow if I want to get tickets posted out (at additional cost!) in time. I wouldn't have an issue if the game was likely to be a sellout, but it's taking place in a 30,000 capacity stadium which is likely to be a third full at most. Yet again no consideration given to supporters from the clowns who make these decisions. Wouldn't it be great if Fenty and co hadn't ostracised our former excellent SLO and replaced her with a yes man inside the club who hasn't the first idea of how to represent our supporters travelling to away games.

I don't even know who he is. At least Kristine made herself known. Another appalling episode in this appalling season.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 20, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 34
No doubt that when we don't get anywhere near to selling the 1500 initial allocation, they'll make it pay-on-the-day on Friday or Saturday, as they have done with "all-ticket" games before this season.
Posted by: imm_mariner, March 20, 2018, 2:40pm; Reply: 35
First away game for me all season. Stopping over with the mrs managed to convince her Coventry has some amazing shops! Where is everyone drinking before hand?? Hoping for a cracking atmosphere and a fair few there. Just hope the lads can give us fans something to cheer about and keep us behind them. Praying mj plays with some pace on the wings just so we can atleast try and stretch their back line which we never seem to do anymore. Opposition defences must love it big cart horse up front with zero pace on the flanks, every defenders dream. Come on mj/the lads give us something to cling onto!! UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 20, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from jonnyboy82

No if we win at coventry .....i will let the horse ride on me while naked around coventry.

Didnt sound right that did it  ;D

With a sausage up his bottom ( the horse I mean ) ;D
Posted by: chicaneuk, March 20, 2018, 4:55pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from imm_mariner
First away game for me all season. Stopping over with the mrs managed to convince her Coventry has some amazing shops! Where is everyone drinking before hand?? Hoping for a cracking atmosphere and a fair few there. Just hope the lads can give us fans something to cheer about and keep us behind them. Praying mj plays with some pace on the wings just so we can atleast try and stretch their back line which we never seem to do anymore. Opposition defences must love it big cart horse up front with zero pace on the flanks, every defenders dream. Come on mj/the lads give us something to cling onto!! UTM

Might be better off sending her on a train into Birmingham.. you could probably kill a few hours in Coventry city centre but it has the distinct whiff of a slow death about it, and Birmingham is in a different league for shopping tbh.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 20, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 38
Not sure who I feel sorry for the most, , your Mrs shopping in Coventry or you watching Town!! 😬🤔
Posted by: imm_mariner, March 20, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 39
Well she's going to be watching the match aswell so this could be the final nail in the coffin for the marriage! I'm hoping she brings luck the last time she came along was at Wembley when we got promoted so I'm doing all I can to help us get that win! How many tickets we sold?? Thought we would sell quite a few but seems the getting ticket situation could put a few off and maybe last weekend knocked the stuffing out of a few aswell.
Posted by: paulgtfc, March 20, 2018, 11:47pm; Reply: 40
Per our ticket office, the police insist in no sales on Sat.  Apparently similar arrangement for our home game in aug.

But apparently there was a further police meeting PM today.  Might be worth a call to Coventry to get latest position.
Posted by: Tinymariner, March 21, 2018, 12:25am; Reply: 41
I’m going with 2 of my nephews. I am happy to collect tickets from the office and meet up with fans outside the Ricoh if need be. I am buying my tickets tomorrow lunchtime so please let me know if I can help. UTM
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 21, 2018, 4:39am; Reply: 42
Quoted from paulgtfc
Per our ticket office, the police insist in no sales on Sat.  Apparently similar arrangement for our home game in aug.

But apparently there was a further police meeting PM today.  Might be worth a call to Coventry to get latest position.

I am going but I can't see more than 1k tops from town good news is the "FISH" chant will echo around the huge Ricoh.
Posted by: lukeo, March 21, 2018, 7:02am; Reply: 43
Over 600 sold so far.. I think around 1,000 will be there which for me is great for the excrement we've been put through. UTM
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 23, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 44
One thing we can do is be loud and proud from before the off and right till the very end.

All town aren’t we
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 8:22am