Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 16, 2018, 6:22pm
I know they have been successful with Lincoln this last 2 seasons but reading on other threads that their ploy is to lump it to Read and then look for the knock on, are they really that good. We all know that the further up the football ladder you go the more technical the football has to be to be successful. I know at this moment in time we would willingly swap league positions but just wondering if they can work their "magic" in higher leagues.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 16, 2018, 6:34pm; Reply: 1
Probably just better at recruitment, Hurst wasn't the greatest tactician but he had an eye for a player (most of the time).
Posted by: Impish2, March 16, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 2
DC has a win ratio of 60% over the three different clubs he has been in manager of. I think this is the best in our clubs history, so I can accept a bit of a direct approach if it proves successful.

I do also think they would be able to adjust the style accordingly.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 16, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 3
Didn't we have a tactic where it was lumped forward diagonally under Hurst?
Posted by: Skrill, March 16, 2018, 6:53pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Impish2
DC has a win ratio of 60% over the three different clubs he has been in manager of. I think this is the best in our clubs history, so I can accept a bit of a direct approach if it proves successful.

I think the Cowleys are hidden gems, expect their future will be like Hurst flirting with the Championship.
Posted by: pizzzza, March 16, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Ipswin

Think that was Toto's constant diagonal lumps towards Monkhouse...
Posted by: Tommy, March 16, 2018, 7:01pm; Reply: 6
I think only the very elite best are innovative, but what's key is that they're adaptable.  FWIW I think Cowley is.

They can have a plan of direct play up to Rhead and then win the 2nd balls all they want (if that is their plan?). But it's the detail they do it to and the smaller tactical details of the plan which make it more successful/efficient than some of the direct stuff earlier this season under Slade (towards the end didn't think it was particularly hoofball).

Also haven't they already adapted from a low budget and low expectations at Braintree where they were successful in terms of punching way above their weight (finished higher than us) to managing at Lincoln with greatet finances and fan expectations.

I'm sure if he/they managed higher up the FL they'd be intelligent enough to adapt themselves and their approach. Although as always, the proof is in the pudding and we'll see if try do get poached by bigger fish. Not all manager's can adapt to new methods successfully and that's why some manager's are better suited to certain levels of football (e.g. Neil Warnock great Championship manager but never lasted long in the PL).
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 16, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Impish2

Better than Graham Taylor?
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, March 16, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 8
I think their strength is not necessarily tactical / attacking strategy but their motivation of individuals.
Posted by: acko338, March 16, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 9
Did anyone see the video on BBC1 when they had just taken over at Lincoln?

Some of the close skills training showed that even if they play lump football, the players have training skills to make the most of knock ons, and quick one on one situations, and changes of tactics - what have we had over the last season to compare with that level of skills work?
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 16, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from acko338
Did anyone see the video on BBC1 when they had just taken over at Lincoln?

Some of the close skills training showed that even if they play lump football, the players have training skills to make the most of knock ons, and quick one on one situations, and changes of tactics - what have we had over the last season to compare with that level of skills work?

We've had power points, everybody knows in the modern game it's what you do in the classroom that counts, not on the training ground!
Posted by: nightrider, March 16, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Ipswin

;D  And before that he deployed the 'bypass the midfield' tactic

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 16, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 12
Clearly clever switched on guys the only negative I see is what a pair of moaning bastardss constantly whinging from the sidelines at every decision that goes against them.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 16, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 13
From what I've seen of their sides, they're not innovative. Just competent. They ensure that what their teams have to do they do it to the best of their ability.
Posted by: Impish2, March 16, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Better than Graham Taylor?

Yes, GT was less than 46%
Posted by: sydney, March 16, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 15
I fear they will have enough to extend our unbeaten run though
Come on Town!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 16, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Impish2

Yes, GT was less than 46%

Even though he took you up in 75/76 you say Danny Cowley is better than Graham Taylor?
Posted by: sydney, March 16, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 17
Sorry not unbeaten
In mean winless 🤭
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 16, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 18
They appear good motivators and they understand the game. Everyone has their level and they place a big emphasis on their team being among the fittest which is backed up by looking at how many games they have score a winner/equaliser late on.

I often go to Lincoln matches as part of my job but unfortunately I am elsewhere tomorrow and I was reading one programme which spoke about how they assessed fitness. Matt Rhead is assessed differently to the rest as he isn't capable of reaching the fitness they require but they analyse how many high impacts he gets through in games. They usually play the high pressing game that Jolley apparently favours.

I would say that we have a similar budget to Lincoln but we spent ours on 30+ players whilst they have much less but of higher quality like Bostwick who will probably play centre half and run the show.

Danny Cowley demands 30 crosses a game as his team score every 26 crosses so we need to be on our game to stop this.

Gutted I can't be there and will have to settle for JT telling us all how Clarke has cleared it half away.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 16, 2018, 11:50pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Skrill

I think the Cowleys are hidden gems, expect their future will be like Hurst flirting with the Championship.

Hidden? They must be the most talked about 4th division brothers since *insert famous 4th division brothers here*
Posted by: moosey_club, March 16, 2018, 11:55pm; Reply: 20
Braintree were fking awful to watch.....defend defend defend for your lives.........hope for  a chance to lump into the box

Lincoln..not too bad to watch in all honestly...pressure the opposition and as soon as you win the win the ball back..send a high deep one into Rhead....

If you dont score from that  No.1 set play......... at least force a corner and get another opportunity from a No.2 set play

They do appear to be enthusiastic...their players seem so also.....can easily see us getting turned over tomorrow.

But ..............its a funny old game. UTM
Posted by: forza ivano, March 17, 2018, 1:20am; Reply: 21
Tbh they are probably a superior Hurst.had success at concord rangers before going to Braintree who got relegated the year after the Cowley's had took the smallest club in the division to a whisker of a wembley final.
Lincoln ,let's be honest, were an awful conference team before they were appointed and look where they are now.they remind me of jolley. No pretension,intelligent,adaptive and pyschologically aware. IMHO they will have too much off and on the pitch for us tomorrow.hope I'm wrong
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 17, 2018, 8:39am; Reply: 22
Quoted from moosey_club
Braintree were fking awful to watch.....defend defend defend for your lives.........hope for  a chance to lump into the box

They had plumbers and accountants playing for them and if that defender hadn't pulled Josh Gowlings shirt then things would have been very different in my opinion. They played to their strengths and there is nothing wrong with that. If they had tried to outfootball us, it would have been six or seven goals for us over two legs. An ability to pull a team, a squad together and get people believing is more important than clever formations and game plans. For me, at the moment we don't really have a team spirit - that's based on what happens when we go a goal down, based on body language when we concede, the rare occasions we score and general fight and desire. Course, it also has a lot to do with the character of the players. We have no spine, we had a one man spine and we let him go to Wrexham and brought in an aging 50p head instead who plays like a clown.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 17, 2018, 10:14am; Reply: 23
Quoted from 75

They had plumbers and accountants playing for them and if that defender hadn't pulled Josh Gowlings shirt then things would have been very different in my opinion. They played to their strengths and there is nothing wrong with that. If they had tried to outfootball us, it would have been six or seven goals for us over two legs. An ability to pull a team, a squad together and get people believing is more important than clever formations and game plans. For me, at the moment we don't really have a team spirit - that's based on what happens when we go a goal down, based on body language when we concede, the rare occasions we score and general fight and desire. Course, it also has a lot to do with the character of the players. We have no spine, we had a one man spine and we let him go to Wrexham and brought in an aging 50p head instead who plays like a clown.

agree....but its the tactical thing that i actually think they are limited on...without doubt they have the ability to get the best out of players but i just think from what i have seen of Braintree and Lincoln they have a pretty predictable way of playing. The diagonal to Rhead is the basis of their attack , win that first ball and you largely nulify them. Collins will hopefully relish that challenge today as he loves the high balls.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:57pm