Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 15, 2018, 5:16pm
Don't know if anyone saw this but highlights were on BT Sport Football Classics today between 12.30 and 1.00 p.m

For myself, randomly switched this on at 12.55 p.m. and managed to record Andy Peake's successful penalty at 2-4.

Even though we lost, playing this recording back, it felt really good to see Town competing really well with one of the best teams in England at this time.

It mentioned that Gary Lund put us 1-0 up at one point.

I hope that G.T. recorded this as an inspirational viewing to the current Town squad - just to give them an inkling as to the what is possible as a player, and also, the effect that supportive, vociferous Town's fans can have on the performance of Town players.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 15, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 1
Charlie Nicholas was fantastic that day. Scored a hat-trick, including 2 brilliant free-kicks.

Town fans were in The Osmond as it was at the time away fans had The Pontoon.

About the only game that Town have lost that I actually enjoyed.
Posted by: Teestogreen, March 15, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 2
You are right Les.

Those delirious Town fans, celebrating Andy Peake's penalty conversion, were in the Osmond Stand.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 15, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 3
It was about the best and most enjoyable game under Mike Lyons,

I think he scored in that game ,

My wife and I were sat in the Osmond that day.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 15, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 4
Champagne Charlie was superb that day , seems a million miles away to the quality of football we watch nowadays  :-/
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, March 15, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 5
Quite possibly the best game I've ever seen at Blundell Park and certainly the best in which we lost.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 15, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tECWBr_I0
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 15, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 7
It was his only hat trick for Arsenal.

Game was shown on BBC Match of the Day, and it was the first game to be shown on it that season as the Football League had previously declined the BBC's Asking price. Not a lot of folk know that?
Posted by: Spidey, March 15, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 8
Yeah I watched it earlier, if not for a Mick Lyons OG, and if Crombie (I think it was him) had left the ball for Batchy to catch, we would have had them!! Oh, and Nicholas' third was a deflection! Was at that game, too.
Posted by: Grim up north, March 15, 2018, 11:29pm; Reply: 9
Happy days as a 16 year old growing up within a stones throw of the ground .Agreat team ( bar M.Lyons era) , great fashion and mad atmospheres of beating some good sides like Chelsea,Man City ,Everton ....the list goes on and on. Remember bumping into Denton and a few Arsenal kitted out in full Ski suits this day and also starting at the top of the closed corner and ending at the bottom as Lund scored !
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 11:22am