Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tommy, March 13, 2018, 7:59pm
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/a-message-from-michael-turning-the-corner/
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 13, 2018, 8:10pm; Reply: 1
Great read that, I really like this lad, we’ve got to get behind him.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 8:14pm; Reply: 2
Well ...he is at least trying to improve the PR.
Posted by: LH, March 13, 2018, 8:24pm; Reply: 3
It’s a good job it’s his honeymoon period otherwise people on here would be moaning that he’s spending too much time writing and not enough time coaching!  ;)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 13, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 4
Isn't it nice having smoke blown up our arses!

He says all the right things and clearly is a bright lad. If he can get us playing on the pitch he could be a star.
Posted by: sydney, March 13, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 5
He is!!
Only first actual game Sat (although he sat in the stands at Camb, Exeter & Carlisle)!!  he did have the ba@@s to change it during the game, but I thought we where worse than the Exeter game for long periods.
No Mills, if he was injured then apologies but if not,  he is our most consistent player?
MJ forget PR mate as it all sounds like its a all about you and lets have some FP!! (I am guessing you read the Fishy)!!
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, March 13, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 6
All a bit too OTT in my opinion
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 13, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from sydney
He is!!
Only first actual game Sat (although he sat in the stands at Camb, Exeter & Carlisle)!!  he did have the ba@@s to change it during the game, but I thought we where worse than the Exeter game for long periods.
No Mills, if he was injured then apologies but if not,  he is our most consistent player?
MJ forget PR mate as it all sounds like its a all about you and lets have some FP!! (I am guessing you read the Fishy)!!
Come on Town!!

It was a good and appropriate rallying call to the fans and everyone associated with a love of League football in Grimsby to get behind the team to give us a chance of staying up. That is part of his job; the rest of the time he presumably is on the training pitch trying to put right everything that is wrong with GTFC which he has inherited.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

:)
Posted by: LH, March 13, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Thank you for restoring the balance.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, March 13, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 10
i love man, he seems to understand us fans more than what Hursty did, he speaks from his head and heart we are lucky to have him as our manager !!
Posted by: Maringer, March 13, 2018, 8:52pm; Reply: 11
It's fine. Some people like hyperbole, others don't. A bit too gushy for me as well, but then perhaps that's just the way he is?

I'll be happy when the team starts to do the talking, however.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 13, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 12
If he thinks our fans were loud at Blundell Park wait until he hears our fans away from home lol

Without a doubt, we have the best, loudest fans around our imagination is second to none, that Mariachi band end of last season was absolutely awesome for instance.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 13, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 13
As it stands I am quite positive with this latest 'announcement '

If it becomes a weekly thing then I agree it is over the top except if we are wining week in week out😁
Posted by: toontown, March 13, 2018, 9:24pm; Reply: 14
well he's certainly an improvement on Fenty's statements that's for sure
Posted by: rancido, March 14, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 15
Surely it's all about the psychology in making the players, club and fans believe we can achieve something. Love him or hate him Nigel Madkins is big on using psychology to help players believe in themselves and he certainly seems to be turning Dull City around.
Posted by: Meza, March 15, 2018, 7:40am; Reply: 16
Ive watched a few videos on iFollow and i was wondering who the young lad is shouting out training instructions.  He must be part of the fitness team.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 15, 2018, 8:01am; Reply: 17
I'm not particularly bothered how he comes across in his statements, how he understands the fans etc etc. so long as  he motivates the players.
He can be a monosyllabic lump for all I care I am only bothered that he turns things around results-wise, nothing else matters at the moment. Plenty of time for nice speeches and compliments when we are promoted
Posted by: grimps, March 15, 2018, 8:32am; Reply: 18
We’ve had good talkers here before , I couldn’t give a excrement what he says to the press as long as he starts getting us some points on the table
Posted by: Bigdog, March 15, 2018, 9:03am; Reply: 19
Of course the most important issue is getting enough points to stay in the League. A statement like this is a great rallying call and on top of that, it is a PR building block for the future too. As fans, all we want is to get to the point of safety as soon as possible, but the club has to continue planning in the background (maybe wishful thinking on my part) whatever league we will be in. A well worded statement full of praise for the fans may come as a bit of a shock and appear gushy after all the hectoring, chastisement and plain old criticism in the recent past, but I think it's great that there seems to be at least one component of the management structure at GTFC that doesn't perceive us fans as the enemy..
Posted by: Mikey_345, March 15, 2018, 9:06am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Meza
Ive watched a few videos on iFollow and i was wondering who the young lad is shouting out training instructions.  He must be part of the fitness team.

Pretty sure you mean the strength and conditioning Coach ..... Greg Howard.
Posted by: RoboCod, March 15, 2018, 9:30am; Reply: 21
It's a good statement, after all we've been through isn't a rallying call what we needed? I don't expect this every week from him, however a condensed version along these lines would make a good read in the match program intro.
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 15, 2018, 9:47am; Reply: 22
Lawrie McMenemy was a past master at this, and he got the fans to buy into what he was saying and doing by making them an integral part of the club. Hope MJ keeps going along these lines and gets the success the Big Man had as well.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 15, 2018, 11:10am; Reply: 23
Quoted from LH
It’s a good job it’s his honeymoon period otherwise people on here would be moaning that he’s spending too much time writing and not enough time coaching!  ;)

Maybe he has time to do both as he is a workaholic .
Posted by: rancido, March 15, 2018, 4:54pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 746[b
]Lawrie McMenemy was a past master at this[/b], and he got the fans to buy into what he was saying and doing by making them an integral part of the club. Hope MJ keeps going along these lines and gets the success the Big Man had as well.

Agree. Taking the full squad down dock was a master stroke in PR.
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 15, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from rancido

Agree. Taking the full squad down dock was a master stroke in PR.

But whoever took Gallimore to TC’s made a slight c0ck up  ;)
Posted by: Mallyner, March 15, 2018, 8:07pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Civvy at last

But whoever took Gallimore to TC’s made a slight c0ck up  ;)

The rest were looking at the haddock and he was inspecting the bass.  :)
Posted by: denni266, March 15, 2018, 8:18pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mallyner

The rest were looking at the haddock and he was inspecting the bass.  :)

Didnt seem to do him too much harm lol
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2018, 11:31pm; Reply: 28
A bit gushy for me but I'm not going to knock him for it. But it did remind me of Rimmer when he had his anger removed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgUktfdDy4
Posted by: Kris2, March 16, 2018, 10:29am; Reply: 29
Words are nice and the supporters here love it when somebody at the club kisses the behind of the fans but we'll see if he can produce the goods to keep us up and then change the club fortunes next season.

I'm not sure yet which is worse, constant resentment of the fans or this shameless sucking up lol. I guess some would prefer the latter because they feel they are entitled to it.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 16, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Kris2
Words are nice and the supporters here love it when somebody at the club kisses the behind of the fans but we'll see if he can produce the goods to keep us up and then change the club fortunes next season.

I'm not sure yet which is worse, constant resentment of the fans or this shameless sucking up lol. I guess some would prefer the latter because they feel they are entitled to it.

If it’s genuine then great, plus nice to see photos of him out in the community already attending the schools new pitch opening. Not saying RS never did this but don’t recall seeing many pictures of him out and about representing the club.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 16, 2018, 11:49am; Reply: 31
He’s bringing a bit of positivity back to the club, it seems he’s damned if he does damned if he doesn’t, it’s about time we had someone like Jolley (Positive and passionate)

He’s come in addressed we’re we are short and acted on it as best he can, he’s quick to answer questions in a positive manner and already out in the community, what more can we ask for?

Let’s just get behind him  :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 16, 2018, 12:21pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Kris2

Interesting use of the word 'here' Kris2.  I presume you know of other clubs where the fans don't like having their behind's kissed.  Or is this yet another 'Grimsby/Fishy' thing that could never happen at any other club or with any other supporters ??? (Normally spouted by people that have never travelled further than their own back yard).

Funnily enough, I personally think his comments are a little O.T.T. and all the behind kissing in the world won't keep him in a job if he fails to produce.  But let's see what he is given to work with (whatever league we are in next year) and what he produces before judging him either way.  
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:30pm