Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 12, 2018, 2:51pm
So, what result do we want here tomorrow night then.

Although it will mean that they go above us, I think the best result for us is a Port Vale win, keep Barnet at the bottom as they'd be 8 points adrift of us having played the same number of games.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 12, 2018, 2:54pm; Reply: 1
I'd rip your hand off if you offered me third bottom now. All that matters is the bottom two stay adrift.

COME ON VALE!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 12, 2018, 2:59pm; Reply: 2
Port Vale win
Posted by: ginnywings, March 12, 2018, 3:12pm; Reply: 3
Yeovil are playing too, so let's hope they lose as well. The more teams in the mire, the better.
Posted by: RichMariner, March 12, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 4
Yeah, we have to hope that Vale win. The sooner one club gets cut adrift, the better - then it becomes one relegation place to avoid. Beat Chesterfield at home and things will look much brighter.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 12, 2018, 4:15pm; Reply: 5
0 - 0 with key players sent off and banned for 3 games.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, March 12, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 6
Port Vale deducted 10 for failing to keep their fans from attacking opposition fans... That's the result I want  8)
Posted by: UTMariners, March 12, 2018, 5:46pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings
Yeovil are playing too, so let's hope they lose as well. The more teams in the mire, the better.

Yes they've lost several on the bounce and still made hard work of beating us with a sending off early on.  If they hadn't got those three points they would be on less points than us, definitely want an Exeter win.
Posted by: davmariner, March 12, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 8
Draw for me. We want as many teams as possible in this dogfight. Also, I think it’s v important that Barnet still have something to play for the last day of the season.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 12, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 9
Definitely want a Vale win. They're 20-1 with the bookies to go down - essentially they're not really seen as being in the relegation fight. It's all about desperately trying to stay above Barnet and Chesterfield.
Posted by: Meza, March 12, 2018, 9:48pm; Reply: 10
Im with davmariner a draw.  Isnt there about 7/8 teams in the mix?
Posted by: RoboCod, March 12, 2018, 10:39pm; Reply: 11
A draw would be ok I reckon, can't see Barnet pulling out of their nosedive really, with what 2 wins in the last 14 ? Had a couple of good wins that caught the eye but there's no sign of consistency.
Posted by: davmariner, March 12, 2018, 11:28pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Definitely want a Vale win. They're 20-1 with the bookies to go down - essentially they're not really seen as being in the relegation fight. It's all about desperately trying to stay above Barnet and Chesterfield.

But they are. They’re nearly as excrement as we are and haven’t won in 2018.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 13, 2018, 7:17am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Meza
Im with davmariner a draw.  Isnt there about 7/8 teams in the mix?

I don't.I just want 2 teams well adrift of us like there is now. Keep Barnet and Chesterfield well adrift. 3rd from bottom will do me fine. Vale to win, no doubt.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 13, 2018, 7:21am; Reply: 14
Quoted from RoboCod
A draw would be ok I reckon, can't see Barnet pulling out of their nosedive really, with what 2 wins in the last 14 ? Had a couple of good wins that caught the eye but there's no sign of consistency.

Although Barnet didn't score on Saturday evidently they dominated Cov at the Ricoh and had 21 efforts at goal. Don't write anyone off yet
Posted by: lukeo, March 13, 2018, 7:24am; Reply: 15
Has to be a Vale win, like others say all we need is 2 clubs to stay below us and with the way the league is looking its got to be Barnet and Chesterfield
Posted by: Grimsby2012, March 13, 2018, 7:34am; Reply: 16
To be honest, it looks like Barnet and Chesterfield are going down. Some teams can respond well to pressures of relegation, but most don't. We are 7 points ahead of Chesterfield, yes, they have 2 games in hand but that pressure alone will be too much for them in my opinion. Plus, I highly doubt they will start winning out of nowhere. We have the benefit of playing some of the teams around us at home, we also have a new and exciting manager who plays totally different to a manage who put us in this situation. So all in all I'm quite confident we will stay up. We have more optimism than the bottom 2
Posted by: RoboCod, March 13, 2018, 7:55am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Cloudy

Although Barnet didn't score on Saturday evidently they dominated Cov at the Ricoh and had 21 efforts at goal. Don't write anyone off yet

Just don't see it. Sure, a good performance on Saturday, unlucky not to score 3, unlucky not to win/get something from the game, how many times have we heard that about Town? A good dominant performance and a loss is just that, it's dispiriting and knocks confidence and the doubts set in.
Bottom of the division for a quite a while and -20 goals doesn't just happen, it's an ongoing problem and is unlikely to be fixed, but we'll see.
Posted by: mariner91, March 13, 2018, 8:28am; Reply: 18
Quoted from RoboCod

Just don't see it. Sure, a good performance on Saturday, unlucky not to score 3, unlucky not to win/get something from the game, how many times have we heard that about Town? A good dominant performance and a loss is just that, it's dispiriting and knocks confidence and the doubts set in.
Bottom of the division for a quite a while and -20 goals doesn't just happen, it's an ongoing problem and is unlikely to be fixed, but we'll see.

Not many times recently!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 13, 2018, 8:50am; Reply: 19
Quoted from mariner91

Not many times recently!

No, not recently, but the end result is the same, no points after 90 minutes. But the relegation issue will be sorted by cold, hard statistics, looking at teams form guides will show a W, L or D, there's no sentiment and no 'Ooh, a loss but we could have won that one'.  
I can see those teams around us (Crewe, FGR, Vale) re-shuffling themselves a little but the bottom two seem stuck in a rut and don't look to have benefitted particularly well form the transfer window.
Just as well for us :o
Posted by: supertown, March 13, 2018, 9:35am; Reply: 20
Vale win or draw at worst but not a Barnet win
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 13, 2018, 9:51am; Reply: 21
We only to look at Newport last season to know not to write anyone off! Any one of the teams below us could suddenly get a bit of luck and snatch a win that could turn out to be the catalyst of an upturn in form and results.

The above of course could happen to Town too. I remain confident that MJ can find a system that suits the players we have and gets the best out of them.

It's certainly going to be a nervy finish but I think we'll just do enough to avoid the drop. I hope to god I'm not eating those words come May!  😕😓
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 13, 2018, 10:22am; Reply: 22
A draw. Yes PV would move above us on goal difference but it still leaves us seven points clear.

A dirty, bad tempered draw that is....
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), March 13, 2018, 11:02am; Reply: 23
I have no doubt whatsoever that Barnet are doomed and will be relegated as the bottom team, even with a win tonight.

So for me, I would like to see a win and 3 points for Barnet, just to pile on even more pressure onto Port Vale and keep them firmly behind us
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 24
Quoted from RoboCod

Yes no consistency, not like us eh ?  .  Fkin hell i would love to have had 2 wins in the last 14 as opposed to zero wins without even coming close to getting one in all honesty.

Posted by: RoboCod, March 13, 2018, 11:41am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
We only to look at Newport last season to know not to write anyone off! Any one of the teams below us could suddenly get a bit of luck and snatch a win that could turn out to be the catalyst of an upturn in form and results.

It's worth pointing out how Newport turned things around last season...13 new players acquired in January! Rings a bell....?
Takes some time to gel that amount of new team members though, so it was a close shave for them, but the management quickly worked out why they were positioned where they were :-/ :-/

Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 13, 2018, 11:44am; Reply: 26
Barnet have to play all 6 of the other bottom 7 teams in their run in.
If they win tonight it increases our chance of being relegated.
Posted by: RoboCod, March 13, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 27
Quoted from moosey_club

Yes no consistency, not like us eh ?  .  Fkin hell i would love to have had 2 wins in the last 14 as opposed to zero wins without even coming close to getting one in all honesty.

Well of course you would, but you'd swap league positions with them for those 2 wins ??
Give me more points, already in the bag thanks. What use is 2 wins in 14,  with 9 of those 14 being defeats, when you're bottom place.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 13, 2018, 12:08pm; Reply: 28
Barnet have been in this position many times. I think they are more than capable of getting themselves off the bottom, especially given their remaining fixtures. It could be them winning and dragging PV more into the mire would be the better result. Thing is, we don't really know how it will play out. We simply must start picking up more points and not have to rely on others.
Posted by: carrot top, March 13, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 29
I can see Barnet winning tonight but would prefer a PV win
Posted by: GrimRob, March 13, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings
Barnet have been in this position many times. I think they are more than capable of getting themselves off the bottom, especially given their remaining fixtures. It could be them winning and dragging PV more into the mire would be the better result. Thing is, we don't really know how it will play out. We simply must start picking up more points and not have to rely on others.

They have also been relegated to non-league twice, as have we (although the first time was over 100 years ago).
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 13, 2018, 1:31pm; Reply: 31
Barnet defeat or draw works for us. A win for Barnet is a disaster.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 13, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from GrimRob

They have also been relegated to non-league twice, as have we (although the first time was over 100 years ago).

We have technically been relegated twice in successive seasons. Only the points deductions saved us in 08/09. This is what worries me, as the last two times we didn't get out of it. If we go down again this season, it's scandalous to think that 3 times in four seasons of league football will have been fighting to stay in the league.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 13, 2018, 1:46pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from 120790
I have no doubt whatsoever that Barnet are doomed and will be relegated as the bottom team, even with a win tonight.

So for me, I would like to see a win and 3 points for Barnet, just to pile on even more pressure onto Port Vale and keep them firmly behind us

If Barnet get  the win that could give them the belief (Newport last season)  and go on a run and catch us, watching PV on Saturday they looked a decent team and I’d now be amazed if they went down, Barnet to lose (Hopefully)
Posted by: rancido, March 13, 2018, 5:21pm; Reply: 34
Everything is still in our own hands but time is running out. The thing that concerns me most is our goal difference which could be crucial at the end of the season.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 13, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 35
Got to be a Vale win. Barnet and Chesterfield losing as many games as possible no matter who they are playing.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 7:34pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from RoboCod

Well of course you would, but you'd swap league positions with them for those 2 wins ??
Give me more points, already in the bag thanks. What use is 2 wins in 14,  with 9 of those 14 being defeats, when you're bottom place.

Current positions are meaningless when it comes to relegation...its the finishing position that counts and the current points per game ratio's are a decent tell...if there are 9/10/11 games left ,depending upon club,  then looking back at the form and points over the recent same period gives an indication of what you might achieve in total.

Dont know what all the others are running at but pretty sure we will be bottom...is it 5 points in 15/16 games ? In theory on current form we may end up with 3 more say ? Hardly reassuring, if the others are currently outperforming our average then can they catch us without improving ?

We didnt look more reassured at the back on Saturday and we definately didnt look much better around their goal either so i genuinely cannot see another win coming. We are in the sh!te make no mistake.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 13, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 37

Barnet winning    :o
Posted by: Abdul19, March 13, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 38
Barnet manage a meaningful shot on goal 87 minutes earlier than we did on Saturday.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 39
Listening in on Radio Stoke...their commentators are bemoaning the lack of desire and passion their players are showing.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 13, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

We have technically been relegated twice in successive seasons. Only the points deductions saved us in 08/09. This is what worries me, as the last two times we didn't get out of it. If we go down again this season, it's scandalous to think that 3 times in four seasons of league football will have been fighting to stay in the league.

This is why I just don't understand why Fenty has any supporters left. It has been SO bad whilst he has been in charge it couldn't really have gone any worse could it? What exactly is he bringing to the club for us to be stuck with him for 15 years? It is a masterclass in how not to run a club, and if we go down again then what? Are we really supposed to get behind him yet again on the back of more false promises of a "competitive budget" whilst all lesser known clubs outbid us for the better players?

I hope we can survive so we can turn our efforts in finding ways to get him out whilst we still have a club to save.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 41

This is why I just don't understand why Fenty has any supporters left. It has been SO bad whilst he has been in charge it couldn't really have gone any worse could it? What exactly is he bringing to the club for us to be stuck with him for 15 years? It is a masterclass in how not to run a club, and if we go down again then what? Are we really supposed to get behind him yet again on the back of more false promises of a "competitive budget" whilst all lesser known clubs outbid us for the better players?

I hope we can survive so we can turn our efforts in finding ways to get him out whilst we still have a club to save.

Only hearsay from contacts but the apparent common impression amongst the people who have had business contact with JF is that his driver is always around saving money and it pains him to pay out...potentially the idea of paying more for league players is an alien concept despite rewards for success being greater. I wouldnt accuse anyone of the following thought process but...it makes you wonder if our almost ensured relative success in the conference years is actually more appealing to those of a money orientated nature.

My mum is of a similar mould..would take hours going to different shops trying to save a penny or two on a pound of sausages, using money on bus fares or petrol all the time whilst doing so...but she was always blind to that.      She felt she was saving money because something was cheaper at the end of it.

When JF gets the tools out and does repairs and maintenance...is that really a valuable use of his time in order to save paying an odd job man a few quid ?

Have read the phrase ... knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing ...on here.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 13, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 42
Port Vale on top looking at the stats. Might have to settle for a draw.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 43
Half Time 1-0 Barnet ...

Pretty non descript listening...Port Vale sound poor but probably the better side,  yet without creating anything of note
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 13, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 44

Looks like Hull are going to escape the drop......latest......  Ipswich  0-3  Hull
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 13, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from moosey_club

Only hearsay from contacts but the apparent common impression amongst the people who have had business contact with JF is that his driver is always around saving money and it pains him to pay out...potentially the idea of paying more for league players is an alien concept despite rewards for success being greater. I wouldnt accuse anyone of the following thought process but...it makes you wonder if our almost ensured relative success in the conference years is actually more appealing to those of a money orientated nature.

My mum is of a similar mould..would take hours going to different shops trying to save a penny or two on a pound of sausages, using money on bus fares or petrol all the time whilst doing so...but she was always blind to that.      She felt she was saving money because something was cheaper at the end of it.

When JF gets the tools out and does repairs and maintenance...is that really a valuable use of his time in order to save paying an odd job man a few quid ?

Have read the phrase ... knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing ...on here.

Last year I spoke at length to someone who knows him better than most in business and his comment to me was he will always prefer to get two for the price of one every time. This it the root of all his wrong decisions - he just doesn't see the advantage of speculate to accumulate.

A few years ago my business contacts who knew him also said the same; he loves saving money in every area and treats it as a badge of honour. I have seen his brother on here boasting how John saves the club money by doing all sorts of jobs - wouldn't it be cheaper to employ an odd job man? All very commendable in a fish processing business, but a disaster for a professional football club. We are all born with certain instincts, but even when a gamble has paid off and made him money (Bogle) he seems unable to go against his beliefs and go down the route of paying some money for players, developing them and selling them on. Of course buying players is a gamble (even the modest amounts we would pay) but the alternative is forever being in the lower reaches of league 2 or worse.

The trouble is with his approach is GTFC, its fans and the town are being held back;  a new consortium is needed that would run the club on professional lines and not as a personal  asset and get us moving.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 13, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 46

Now.......  Barnet  1-1  Port Vale........ that's alright.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 47
Keeper clanger coming for a cross
Posted by: Abdul19, March 13, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 48
Would take that
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 13, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 49

Tense night at Old Trafford for Man Utd fans.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 13, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 50

Last year I spoke at length to someone who knows him better than most in business and his comment to me was he will always prefer to get two for the price of one every time. This it the root of all his wrong decisions - he just doesn't see the advantage of speculate to accumulate.

A few years ago my business contacts who knew him also said the same; he loves saving money in every area and treats it as a badge of honour. I have seen his brother on here boasting how John saves the club money by doing all sorts of jobs - wouldn't it be cheaper to employ an odd job man? All very commendable in a fish processing business, but a disaster for a professional football club. We are all born with certain instincts, but even when a gamble has paid off and made him money (Bogle) he seems unable to go against his beliefs and go down the route of paying some money for players, developing them and selling them on. Of course buying players is a gamble (even the modest amounts we would pay) but the alternative is forever being in the lower reaches of league 2 or worse.

The trouble is with his approach is GTFC, its fans and the town are being held back;  a new consortium is needed that would run the club on professional lines and not as a personal  asset and get us moving.

He wants out he said it himself why would he put more money into something he's leaving ?
Posted by: RoboCod, March 13, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from promotion plaice

Ben Yedder ! Super subs are back in fashion!
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 52

Tense night at Old Trafford in London for Man Utd fans.

;)
Posted by: GrimRob, March 13, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 53

I can't wait for the tension of watching my team in the Champions League

COME ON VALE!
Posted by: lee65, March 13, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 54
I wish Exeter would score v Yeovil, as I think they could easily get sucked in to the mix on current form
Posted by: GrimRob, March 13, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 55
Solihull winning which is terrible news for Hartlepool  :P
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 56
Akpa Apro coming on for Barnet
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 57
1100 or so at the Barnet game..nearly 200 Vale fans.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 13, 2018, 9:48pm; Reply: 58
Long delay in this game. Vale must be getting used to this.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 13, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 59
No long delay, kicked off at 8
Posted by: GrimRob, March 13, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from moosey_club
1100 or so at the Barnet game..nearly 200 Vale fans.

Less than 1000 home fans there in a crunch game, if ever a club deserved to go down. Even Village Green get more  :)
Posted by: Mikey_345, March 13, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 61
1-1 FT

Will take that!
Posted by: moosey_club, March 13, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 62
Vale have been pushing for most of the 2nd half......draw wont be too bad all round i suppose.....

FT - 1-1
Posted by: GrimRob, March 13, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 63
Doesn't change much
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 13, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 64
I'll take that but we can't totally rely on others , we need something Saturday
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 13, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Mikey_345
1-1 FT

Will take that!

Agreed but you just know our relegation rivals are going to get the odd surprise result.

Let us start Saturday by winning at Lincoln.

Posted by: RoboCod, March 13, 2018, 9:59pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from GrimRob
Doesn't change much

It puts Barnet on Played 37, nice to see another team below us on that amount finally :o
Posted by: lee65, March 13, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 67
Actually, looking at the table, I think that was the best result.  Vale aren't getting away, and Barnet are 7 points behind but on the same games  :)
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 13, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 68

Agreed but you just know our relegation rivals are going to get the odd surprise result.

Let us start Saturday by winning at Lincoln.

I have very little faith in us achieving that, if I’m honest. Then on to Coventry, possibly a tricker game. I don’t like to write-off the next two games, but Christ, stevenage at home is gonna be huge.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 13, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 69
We just got to beat Barnet and Chesterfield and the other games we could lose a few and draw a couple,

That will make us safe,

BUT

If Town want to win a few more I will be very happy.

The sooner we get the points on the board the better then we wont  care what other teams are doing.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 13, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

He wants out he said it himself why would he put more money into something he's leaving ?

But he wasn't leaving for the previous 15 years was he? He won't be leaving now till he gets his money back.
Posted by: bawarmy, March 13, 2018, 10:30pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from lee65
I wish Exeter would score v Yeovil, as I think they could easily get sucked in to the mix on current form

Just looked at Yeovil’s remaining games and can’t see them getting  many more points
Posted by: lee65, March 13, 2018, 10:39pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from bawarmy

Just looked at Yeovil’s remaining games and can’t see them getting  many more points

Agreed, I played the relegation calculator as fairly as possible and I had them in the bottom 2

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 13, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 73
Was the 8pm kickoff time to allow the fan to get in?
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 13, 2018, 10:41pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Was the 8pm kickoff time to allow the fan to get in?

;D
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 13, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 75
Best result for us and I hope Vale will continue to struggle with form as their hooligans struggle not to be the fatest worst dressed Hooligans ever.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 13, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Marinerz93
Best result for us and I hope Vale will continue to struggle with form as their hooligans struggle not to be the fatest worst dressed Hooligans ever.

Was expecting a picture of a Port Vale fat fan hooligan badly dressed   ;)

Posted by: Marinerz93, March 14, 2018, 12:16am; Reply: 77

Was expecting a picture of a Port Vale fat fan hooligan badly dressed   ;)

Watch the video you'll see the main one in a pink Stone island top with a scarf wrapped around his neck as a hipster, very fat and a excrement hair cut.  ;D
Posted by: mimma, March 14, 2018, 1:27am; Reply: 78
Barnet steward hit on the head with an inflatable tea cup by a Vale fan ;D
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 14, 2018, 1:36am; Reply: 79
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11289083/barnet-1-1-port-vale

If you are interested :)
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 14, 2018, 9:11am; Reply: 80
Quoted from arryarryarry

Do you think the guy editing the highlights was making a point about how shite his life is by including a shot from 30 yards that went in to the car park? The camera even lingered for a couple of seconds on the darkness outside the ground.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 14, 2018, 10:04am; Reply: 81
Quoted from Marinerz93
Best result for us and I hope Vale will continue to struggle .

Unbeaten in two away games in a week, I'd settle for that right now with wins in the two big home games

Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 7:12am