Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, March 11, 2018, 6:14pm
We can lose every game and still stay up with up to 3 points to spare! This is what happens if we lose every game and Chesterfield and Barnet lose every game apart from the ones against us. They play each other in the final game, and the result wouldn't matter, but this is what the table would look like with a draw.

19     Port Vale     46     -11     53
20     Yeovil     46     -16     49
21     Crewe     46     -23     42
22     Grimsby     46     -37     37
23     Chesterfield     46     -39     34
24     Barnet     46     -34     33

OK it's not going to happen like this but if the bottom two keep losing we could end up needing very few more points to survive.

https://thefishy.co.uk/football-calculator.php

Posted by: moosey_club, March 11, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 1
Well lets not test the theory eh ?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, March 11, 2018, 6:31pm; Reply: 2
Barnet's run in is as easy as they could possibly hope for. They're bottom of the league for a reason so hopefully their poor form will continue but they could get quite a few points yet.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 11, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Barnet's run in is as easy as they could possibly hope for. They're bottom of the league for a reason so hopefully their poor form will continue but they could get quite a few points yet.

They had something like 21 efforts on goal yesterday. I appreciate they didn't score but it suggests they aren't going to go quietly
Posted by: sydney, March 11, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 4
If we don’t play better then we did yesterday we might?
I know we ground out a point and didn’t give up and the players deserve huge credit for that, but PV where below us remember and Only Macca stopped in been 0-3
Jolly has a big job on his hands and questions must be asked as to why Slade was allowed to shift any quality we had
Jones Osbourne Etc
It will be touch and go and we must be safe before we go to the villagers for obvious reasons
Hope you’re a v v quick learner MJ after yesterday
Come on Town!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 11, 2018, 7:26pm; Reply: 5
If we can’t get 9 points from the home games I can’t see us staying up TBH.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 11, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from GrimRob
We can lose every game and still stay up with up to 3 points to spare! This is what happens if we lose every game and Chesterfield and Barnet lose every game apart from the ones against us. They play each other in the final game, and the result wouldn't matter, but this is what the table would look like with a draw.

OK it's not going to happen like this but if the bottom two keep losing we could end up needing very few more points to survive.

Doh! We could have kept Russ!  ;)

Posted by: chaos33, March 11, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 7
At the moment, any sort of win looks utterly unlikely and has done for a long time. Even a goal or a clear cut chance is a complete shock. On that basis I think we are highly likely to be relegated, these players are so poor. The Jolley X factor is all we've got. One game at a time...
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 11, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from GrimRob

Word for word this would have been russell slades pre match teamtalk pre cambridge.
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, March 11, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 9
I hope we are going to be alright.

I think yesterday we got behind the team and it showed. it could have been a lot worse but we battled

Mr Jolley knows the battle we are in and I think he can stop the poison

His reactions yesterday was everything I hoped from a new manager he seemed to realise what this club means to the town

If the manager has passion it either rubs off on the players else he will pick players that it does.

Mr Slade had no passion and it showed
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 11, 2018, 8:20pm; Reply: 10

My worry is if we do stay up will JF start giving the manager a promotion challenging budget or will he just try to claw more of his loan money back.

If the latter happens then another relegation battle will probably ensue and so on.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 11, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 11
I think yesterday showed just how poor this squad is and we are by far the worst team in the league. We haven't won for 16 games, have been bottom of the form guide for months and just making a keeper work is an achievement at the moment.

We saw a slight new manager lift yesterday, but really should have been dead and buried by the hour mark. It's testament to how poor we are that we were totally outplayed on our own patch by a side that also haven't won since December. Barnet have taken 7 points from their last 6 games and i think they could catch us.

Look at these stats and be very worried. We are bottom of every one of them and the relative form guide makes for grim reading. We are only averaging 0.25 per game. Unless there is a significant upturn, we are going down.

http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england4
Posted by: Hagrid, March 11, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 12
I think its gonna be down to the wire. We are awful, literally awful. I hope we can survive, but in my head i just cant see it
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 11, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 13

So if we do lose every remaining game but still stay up does that mean Mr Jolley gets the chop in the GTFC managerial merry go round ?  😉
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 11, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC
I hope we are going to be alright.

I think yesterday we got behind the team and it showed. it could have been a lot worse but we battled

Mr Jolley knows the battle we are in and I think he can stop the poison

His reactions yesterday was everything I hoped from a new manager he seemed to realise what this club means to the town

If the manager has passion it either rubs off on the players else he will pick players that it does.

Mr Slade had no passion and it showed

It is interesting you say Slade had no passion.

Remember his first game in charge against Cambridge last season? Punching the air, saluting the crowd after a pretty routine win. The same this season at the first game at Chesterfield. He showed a lot of passion. An awful lot of managers show a lot of passion early doors, but as the reality sinks in that the club has no ambition, no investment, no new stadium and a God awful board of directors I think apathy/reality sinks in.

I hope Jolly can break the mould, and take the club by the scruff of the neck and be some sort of catalyst for improvement in all areas.

I really hope we can stay up; if we don't it doesn't bear thinking about.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 11, 2018, 9:01pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings
I think yesterday showed just how poor this squad is and we are by far the worst team in the league. We haven't won for 16 games, have been bottom of the form guide for months and just making a keeper work is an achievement at the moment.

We saw a slight new manager lift yesterday, but really should have been dead and buried by the hour mark. It's testament to how poor we are that we were totally outplayed on our own patch by a side that also haven't won since December. Barnet have taken 7 points from their last 6 games and i think they could catch us.

Look at these stats and be very worried. We are bottom of every one of them and the relative form guide makes for grim reading. We are only averaging 0.25 per game. Unless there is a significant upturn, we are going down.

Many fans have seen the writing on the wall for weeks and weeks, and the only people who seemed oblivious to it all were the board.

How their pompous complacency has landed us right in it. As you say the new manager was able to get a smidgen more effort and desire but to even get in the opposition box is a highlight.

We cannot score, we cannot create, we give penalties away like sweets and concede enough most games to lose.

These last nine games are going to be hell; to keep us up would be such an achievement with this shower, but even then it will be other teams failings that might save us.I fully expect Chesterfield to have a late rally like we did when we went down, they are not going to give up without a fight.  We took it to the last game last time and I expect they will do the same.

Go down again and the future is very bleak.
Posted by: sydney, March 11, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 16
Let’s hope MJ can find something in enough of the players to slowly see us start to improve
Let’s hope he gets them to try new things and get there confidence to grow
Let’s hope last min equaliser yesterday was the start of something
Let’s hope we get some sort of result from the next 2 very difficult away games.
Let’s hope that somehow this squad have the metal to start to get results when mathematically it is a necessity which it will be next home game if we don’t get any results from Gimps and Sky blues (which current from suggests we won’t)
How different the hope I felt when I came away from Chesterfield away 1st game from the hope I cling to now
What a complete f****p this season has been
Which could see us following the likes of York and Stockport into oblivion
Fans have done there bit in last three to four seasons so
MJ / PW / JF and the current squad it’s over to you to see us stay in DIV 2 in next 9 games
Come on Town!!
Posted by: RichMariner, March 11, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 17
Let's look at this pragmatically.

For us to go down, Chesterfield need to overtake us - and right now they're seven points behind.

If they don't overtake us, we can still go down if Barnet overtake us - and they're eight points behind.

We're in awful form, and I'd prefer not to leave anything to chance - but I think the key is getting one win AND making sure we DO NOT LOSE our home match to Chesterfield.

If we do that, I think we could be alright, with a few draws here and there. I'm by no means suggesting that's what we aim for - that would be foolish - but just suggesting what a 'realistic' absolute minimum would be for us to be safe.
Posted by: chaos33, March 11, 2018, 9:54pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings

This is the stark reality. I can only see two defeats coming up too.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 12, 2018, 11:17am; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33

This is the stark reality. I can only see two defeats coming up too.

Depressing as it sounds, I would actually take 2 defeats (as long as they're not hammerings) if it meant the bottom 2 lost their games as well.
Posted by: rancido, March 12, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 20

It is interesting you say Slade had no passion.

Remember his first game in charge against Cambridge last season? Punching the air, saluting the crowd after a pretty routine win. The same this season at the first game at Chesterfield. He showed a lot of passion. An awful lot of managers show a lot of passion early doors, but as the reality sinks in that the club has no ambition, no investment, no new stadium and a God awful board of directors I think apathy/reality sinks in.

I hope Jolly can break the mould, and take the club by the scruff of the neck and be some sort of catalyst for improvement in all areas.

I really hope we can stay up; if we don't it doesn't bear thinking about.

I don't see how you can say this when a director publicly stated he wanted us knocking on the door of the Championship in 5 years. As far as the ground is concerned it's the Board and JF who want this but the council seem to be holding us back. Also a lot of posters on this site don't want us to leave BP but would rather we " develop " it.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 12, 2018, 12:48pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from rancido

I don't see how you can say this when a director publicly stated he wanted us knocking on the door of the Championship in 5 years. As far as the ground is concerned it's the Board and JF who want this but the council seem to be holding us back. Also a lot of posters on this site don't want us to leave BP but would rather we " develop " it.

You cannot seriously equate a director, who has virtually no input in how the club is financed, saying he wants us to be in the Championship in 5 years with a serious commitment?

There is absolutely nothing to back up his statement whatsoever. Pie in the sky. Fantasy.

We haven't got the money for a new stadium is the top and bottom of it. Fenty has put all his eggs in the basket of a new stadium and has let BP deteriorate; I don't particularly blame him for that but a firm decision on whether a new stadium is ever to be built will have to be made soon and ways of developing BP found if its not going to happen.
Posted by: rancido, March 12, 2018, 1:31pm; Reply: 22
[quote=3362]

You cannot seriously equate a director, who has virtually no input in how the club is financed, saying he wants us to be in the Championship in 5 years with a serious commitment?

There is absolutely nothing to back up his statement whatsoever. Pie in the sky. Fantasy.

We haven't got the money for a new stadium is the top and bottom of it. Fenty has put all his eggs in the basket of a new stadium and has let BP deteriorate; I don't particularly blame him for that but a firm decision on whether a new stadium is ever to be built will have to be made soon and ways of developing BP found if its not going to happen. [/quote

I was merely responding to your statement that the club had no ambition - a director, whether he has any influence financially or not, stated that he wanted to see us progress up the football pyramid and that indicates ambition.
As far as the ground is concerned , the idea was first raised before JF's involvement in the club. BP is deteriorating due to it's age and structure. Would you rather finances were directed away from other areas of running the club just so we could throw good money after bad in maintain a rapidly declining structure. What evidence do you have that the council would even approve of any development of BP? Planning laws could easily prohibit much of a change and then you have the pressure of local inhabitants who would be quite vociferous if they thought that rather than acquire a new ground we developed BP.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 12, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from rancido
[quote=3362]

We haven't got the money for a new stadium is the top and bottom of it. Fenty has put all his eggs in the basket of a new stadium and has let BP deteriorate; I don't particularly blame him for that but a firm decision on whether a new stadium is ever to be built will have to be made soon and ways of developing BP found if its not going to happen. [/quote

I was merely responding to your statement that the club had no ambition - a director, whether he has any influence financially or not, stated that he wanted to see us progress up the football pyramid and that indicates ambition.
As far as the ground is concerned , the idea was first raised before JF's involvement in the club. BP is deteriorating due to it's age and structure. Would you rather finances were directed away from other areas of running the club just so we could throw good money after bad in maintain a rapidly declining structure. What evidence do you have that the council would even approve of any development of BP? Planning laws could easily prohibit much of a change and then you have the pressure of local inhabitants who would be quite vociferous if they thought that rather than acquire a new ground we developed BP.

No it does not show ambition! It was a throw away comment that was ludicrous to even mention when we are staring down the barrel of relegation out of the league altogether.  Even Jolly smiled when he heard him say that.

Regarding BP obviously there is more of an argument to be had there. I did say I don't necessarily blame Fenty for the state of BP as he was hoping for a new stadium, but he will have to sort it out one way or another.

Who knows what the planners might think? The stadium has been there a long long time, so improving it shouldn't be a problem planning wise should it? As part of the improvements I would put a park and ride scheme to BP to alleviate parking issues which would be an advantage to residents.

Anyway this is all as pie in the sky as the Championship in 5 years quote because none of it will happen.
Posted by: Maringer, March 12, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 24
One (very minor) plus point is that the players we have available (Jones aside) are the same as those who won several games earlier in the season. In some of those, Jones was far from impressive, blowing hot and cold as he always has.

Even without him, I think we're certainly capable of winning a few games before the end of the season, especially if the loanees who have been injured for the past couple of weeks can come in and make an impact. We'll need to improve, but I think we've got it within us.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 12, 2018, 4:13pm; Reply: 25
I agree. I actually think we've got some decent players and as you said, roughly the same players that got us to within goal difference of the play offs at one stage. I think they just need the right manager, wasn't always with the right system and gamelan. Hopefully Michael Jolley is that man.

I know we're in a precarious position but it's certainly not an insurmountable problem. History is littered with team that have performed badly throughout the season and a new a new manager has come in and turned them around with only games to go to stave off almost certain relegation... Jeez Sam Allardyce has made a career out of it.

Just look at Newport last season and Swansea this season for examples of just that.

IMHO, Michael Jolley will get his message across to the players and identify a system and game plan that gets the best out of them and produces results.

I may be barking mad or have my rose-tinted glasses firmly stuck to my face, but there's just something about MJ that makes me very confident that he can turn this around and have a positive end of the season.
Posted by: rancido, March 12, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 26

No it does not show ambition! It was a throw away comment that was ludicrous to even mention when we are staring down the barrel of relegation out of the league altogether.  Even Jolly smiled when he heard him say that.

Regarding BP obviously there is more of an argument to be had there. I did say I don't necessarily blame Fenty for the state of BP as he was hoping for a new stadium, but he will have to sort it out one way or another.

Who knows what the planners might think? The stadium has been there a long long time, so improving it shouldn't be a problem planning wise should it? As part of the improvements I would put a park and ride scheme to BP to alleviate parking issues which would be an advantage to residents.

Anyway this is all as pie in the sky as the Championship in 5 years quote because none of it will happen.

It makes no difference how long the ground has been there. Historical location has no bearing on what planners will allow. As an example for a start you will need planning permission to demolish the Main Stand . Then you have to replace it and probably have to keep it within it's existing skyline. You talk about " pie in the sky " but surely a Park'n'Ride scheme to service BP is just that. Where would you locate it, bearing in mind that we have fans arriving via the A180, A46, A16 and A18. In fact every direction barring from the East of the town. Is there land available for this and more importantly , is it cost effective having a Park'n'Ride scheme for approximately 26 occasions a year?
As far as promotion is concerned , 5 years in football is a long time. Two promotions in that time frame is not unreasonable to aim for as is demonstrated by our own history in the last 30 years.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 12, 2018, 8:10pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from rancido

It makes no difference how long the ground has been there. Historical location has no bearing on what planners will allow. As an example for a start you will need planning permission to demolish the Main Stand . Then you have to replace it and probably have to keep it within it's existing skyline. You talk about " pie in the sky " but surely a Park'n'Ride scheme to service BP is just that. Where would you locate it, bearing in mind that we have fans arriving via the A180, A46, A16 and A18. In fact every direction barring from the East of the town. Is there land available for this and more importantly , is it cost effective having a Park'n'Ride scheme for approximately 26 occasions a year?
As far as promotion is concerned , 5 years in football is a long time. Two promotions in that time frame is not unreasonable to aim for as is demonstrated by our own history in the last 30 years.

Surely very many grounds up and down the land have had ground improvements over the years. Some with more housing around them than Blundell park.It cannot be beyond the wit of man that solutions can be found?

As regards parking, again it is up to the club and authorities to come up with a parking area away from the stadium for a park and ride. It cannot be that difficult surely? Everything seems too difficult for GTFC though, and as I said earlier I don't know we are discussing it really cos nothing will get done.

It is conceivable we could get 2 promotions in a short time frame granted, but highly unlikely and certainly will not be achieved with  hoping for football fortune approach. Well it might, but most successful clubs plan for years to get where they are.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 12, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 28
If I decide to come to BP on my bike instead of by car, can I leave it in someones front garden for 6d like we used to?
Posted by: rancido, March 13, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 29

Surely very many grounds up and down the land have had ground improvements over the years. Some with more housing around them than Blundell park.It cannot be beyond the wit of man that solutions can be found?

As regards parking, again it is up to the club and authorities to come up with a parking area away from the stadium for a park and ride. It cannot be that difficult surely? Everything seems too difficult for GTFC though, and as I said earlier I don't know we are discussing it really cos nothing will get done.

It is conceivable we could get 2 promotions in a short time frame granted, but highly unlikely and certainly will not be achieved with  hoping for football fortune approach. Well it might, but most successful clubs plan for years to get where they are.

You forget we are dealing with N E Lincs council here. Every ground is different in it's location so it's not as clear cut as you make out.
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 13, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 30
Look at how Liverpool have rebuilt a stand, I would assume its higher now than the previous one, I would think the club put a very good case forward to the local council and they approved the extension, so yes grounds can be developed, just not in NE Lincs.
Posted by: rancido, March 13, 2018, 7:11pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Gaffer58
Look at how Liverpool have rebuilt a stand, I would assume its higher now than the previous one, I would think the club put a very good case forward to the local council and they approved the extension, so yes grounds can be developed, just not in NE Lincs.

But didn't they buy up all the houses in the surrounding streets to make way for their expansion plans?
Posted by: Ipswin, March 13, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from arryarryarry
If I decide to come to BP on my bike instead of by car, can I leave it in someones front garden for 6d like we used to?

It was only 3d at least that's all my uncle paid a woman in Constitutional Ave.

For ages after seeing him leave via her back passage (the one from the house I mean!) on his way to the Barratt I was convinced he was giving her one before I was told he parked his bike there (at least he said he did)

I recall it appeared to me as a young lad that 1000s of blokes arrived by bike - does no one go to the match by bike any more? A couple of quid to park your bike could still be an earner if potential cyclists knew there was somewhere secure to leave it and you could have a few more pints than if you were driving.

Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 14, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 33
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-final-league-two-table-1328407

Worth having a go. I did us to lose and draw a couple and we stayed up without winning a game. But that also meant Barnet and Chesterfield continuing to be just as poor
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 14, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Ipswin

For ages after seeing him leave via her back passage (the one from the house I mean!) on his way to the Barratt I was convinced he was giving her one before I was told he parked his bike there (at least he said he did)

I recall it appeared to me as a young lad that 1000s of blokes arrived by bike - does no one go to the match by bike any more? A couple of quid to park your bike could still be an earner if potential cyclists knew there was somewhere secure to leave it and you could have a few more pints than if you were driving.

When I typed that I did wonder if it was 3d, it was 6d to get into the Pontoon but we always got in there early and climbed over the gate at the front. ;)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2018, 1:13am; Reply: 35
Quoted from rancido

What's holding us back is there simply isn't the money to finance a £22m stadium. That's why despite the council giving the club the opportunity to acquire the land cheaply and build a stadium on its preferred site, nothing has happened. If there was any realistic chance that 'enabling development' of the scale that would fund the build, it would be in planning by now. It simply doesn't stack up.

How long has it been since those skateboarders waltzed into town after others had failed to drum up a scheme? Must be a year now.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2018, 1:15am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Ipswin

He might have said something about 'her threpeny bits' but it was rhyming slang.
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 5:43am