Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Ashby mariner, March 3, 2018, 1:55pm
Just wondering what the current situation is regarding tickets. Does anyone know if they are on general sale?
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 3, 2018, 2:07pm; Reply: 1

Not on sale at all yet
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 3, 2018, 2:28pm; Reply: 2
On the Lincoln forum some think we may not sell all our allocations, probably depends on our next few results.
Posted by: oldun, March 3, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Gaffer58
On the Lincoln forum some think we may not sell all our allocations, probably depends on our next few results.

I imagine they are right
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, March 3, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 4
We will provide them with a full away end for sure
Posted by: Eastendmariner, March 3, 2018, 6:11pm; Reply: 5
let's face it only only in the 30 odd years they've actually sold all theirs and that was this season its wasn't raining or snowing  ;D Im sure what ever happens we'll take a few  ;D
Posted by: Mariner16, March 3, 2018, 7:19pm; Reply: 6
They've not sent us any tickets to sell yet and with 10 working days to go they'd better flipping sort it out
Posted by: LH, March 3, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 7
Should be on sale Thursday. Their ticket office has been shut due to snow (proper Lincoln excuse that) and ours will be shut due to it resembling an aquarium. Source: Lisa on facebook.
Posted by: lukeo, March 3, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 8
Being the nosey person  I am had a look on their site and 1 thing lead to another and by the looks of it the home end is a sell out..
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lincoln-city-vs-grimsby-town-tickets-43191770749?aff=erelexpmlt
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 3, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 9
Hoping to get to this one from birmingham. Should be plenty of tickets on general sale
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, March 3, 2018, 9:51pm; Reply: 10
Unless we show some balls against Vale next week I dont think i will make the trip to Lincoln.

It would be the first derby at Sincil Bank I will have missed for a long long time. But i dont think I could face their muppets and having to watch such a spineless , insipid, gutless Town outfit.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 3, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 11

Town fans theme for the game ?

Harry Houdini face masks   :)
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 4, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 12
If you are going to wear theme masks for the Lincoln game don't wear Halloween masks as you'll be filtered and shoved in with the home fans.  ;D
Posted by: Helgy, March 5, 2018, 1:57pm; Reply: 13
Home end sold out ,do you think you'll sell out your 1,400 allocation?
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 5, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Helgy

It would help if you sent us some tickets to sell!
Posted by: oldun, March 5, 2018, 2:14pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Helgy

Nowhere near
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 5, 2018, 2:28pm; Reply: 16
The weather forecast is dry and sunny and an expected balmy 20 degrees so with weather like that there is no way I will be able to make it.

Oops sorry just looking through the Lincoln fans book of excuses, of course I will be there.
Posted by: mariner91, March 5, 2018, 2:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from oldun

Nowhere near

Don't be daft. We might be shite but we're not Lincoln fans.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 5, 2018, 2:47pm; Reply: 18
Won't it be nice to see most of the home fans leaving with 20 minutes to go 3-0 down?   ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: mariner91, March 5, 2018, 3:00pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Won't it be nice to see most of the home fans leaving with 20 minutes to go 3-0 down?   ;D ;D ;D

It would be nice to just score three goals in March!
Posted by: pizzzza, March 5, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 20
How come Lincoln are leaving it so late to release the tickets? A deliberate attempt to keep the numbers travelling down?
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 5, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from pizzzza
How come Lincoln are leaving it so late to release the tickets? A deliberate attempt to keep the numbers travelling down?

I've heard they're scattering leafs all over the A46 and hoping for the wrong kind of wind and stuff.  It stops them coming to us, so I guess they think it works the other way round  ;)

If we do not sell our full allocation it will be a new low for G.T.F.C.  Surely we can't let that happen !!
Posted by: Cloudy, March 5, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 22
Wonder if the burst pipes meaning our ticket office is closed is part of the issue??
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 5, 2018, 6:11pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Cloudy
Wonder if the burst pipes meaning our ticket office is closed is part of the issue??

So basically you are saying Lincoln were responsible for the burst pipe so we would not sell our full allocation  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: barralad, March 5, 2018, 6:11pm; Reply: 24
According to Lisa we haven't got them yet...
Posted by: moosey_club, March 5, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 25
Havnt been to a Lincoln game for years...far too much hassle and p!$$ing about with earlykick offs, police overload etc and thats when there was hardly any fans in the home end...can only imagine how much worse it will be now they have discovered the 4000 extra home fans ...
Posted by: oochiad, March 5, 2018, 8:52pm; Reply: 26
Good point that, I had to go in the home end last year, wouldn’t fancy that now........
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 5, 2018, 10:55pm; Reply: 27

Looks like the Town tickets for the Lincoln game will go on sale this Thursday !
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 5, 2018, 11:21pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Civvy at last

I've heard they're scattering leafs all over the A46 and hoping for the wrong kind of wind and stuff.  It stops them coming to us, so I guess they think it works the other way round  ;)

If we do not sell our full allocation it will be a new low for G.T.F.C.  Surely we can't let that happen !!

Don't be daft, they're onto the dogshit spreading now to deter people. But that would just make it feel more like home  ;D
Posted by: immariner, March 6, 2018, 11:37pm; Reply: 29
I've been offered a ticket in the home end but not sure I fancy that. I don't have a season ticket and wouldn't make it to the BP for general sale. Decisions, decisions...
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 7, 2018, 4:10am; Reply: 30
Quoted from immariner
I've been offered a ticket in the home end but not sure I fancy that. I don't have a season ticket and wouldn't make it to the BP for general sale. Decisions, decisions...

What's the problem? I've often sat with the home fans at away games nothing to worry about unless you stand up and start shouting like an idiot.
Posted by: marinerrick, March 7, 2018, 7:02am; Reply: 31
My brother in law is a Lincoln fan, I spoke with him last night and he is not ST holder. He cannot get a home ticket for our game. So unlikely to even get what they offer us anyway.
Posted by: jaygy, March 7, 2018, 8:06am; Reply: 32
As hard as it is to say and all joking about finding 4000 plastic fans aside, I think Lincoln have to be commended on how they’ve been riding the crest of a wave and managed to keep the feel good factor going. Even if they turn 1/4 of those “plastic” fans into regular season ticket holders then they’ve done a great job.

If only we’d done the same thing when we got promoted 😔 i fear our players just wont understand what this game means to us fans like certain other players have over the last few years, we’ve recently had players that would sweat blood against Lincoln to get a result but now I think these players just won’t get the importance of 3 points against our current nearest rivals
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), March 7, 2018, 10:34am; Reply: 33
Mr Jolley was at Mansfield last night watching Lincoln
Posted by: pizzzza, March 7, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 34
Do we know how they will be sold as yet? Straight to general sale or...?
Posted by: Posh Harry, March 7, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from 120790
Mr Jolley was at Mansfield last night watching Lincoln

That’s good to hear. I hope it is a common theme. I seem to remember that Hurst and the sniffing one used to go to loads of games whether that was to check on players or opponents.

Interestingly I can never remember anyone saying that slade was here or there watching games. Not saying he didn’t, but can’t remember talk of it. Maybe another sign of a manager on the way down, losing the passion and ambition he once had?
Posted by: moosey_club, March 7, 2018, 3:06pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Posh Harry

That’s good to hear. I hope it is a common theme. I seem to remember that Hurst and the sniffing one used to go to loads of games whether that was to check on players or opponents.

Interestingly I can never remember anyone saying that slade was here or there watching games. Not saying he didn’t, but can’t remember talk of it. Maybe another sign of a manager on the way down, losing the passion and ambition he once had?

Easier for Hurst in reality as tinpot games are played across varying days of the week....once you get into the league structure its mostly full programmes so if Slade wanted to watch an opponent he wouldnt have been at Blundell Park managing us...(Confused) (lightbulb)
Posted by: Father Christmas, March 7, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from moosey_club

Easier for Hurst in reality as tinpot games are played across varying days of the week....once you get into the league structure its mostly full programmes so if Slade wanted to watch an opponent he wouldnt have been at Blundell Park managing us...(Confused) (lightbulb)

A shame he didn’t watch more opponents then!
Posted by: immariner, March 7, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from arryarryarry

What's the problem? I've often sat with the home fans at away games nothing to worry about unless you stand up and start shouting like an idiot.

Sat in the home end a couple of times so nothing to do with the fear of trouble and everything to do with the less than attractive prospect of being surrounded by thousands of lairy, likely-jubilant, born-again Lincoln fans.

Posted by: Cloudy, March 7, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 39
Still no announcement of ticket details or have I missed it?

Very odd that no arrangements have been announced for an all ticket game less than 10 days away
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 7, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Posh Harry

Graham Roger is the chief scout now isn’t he?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2018, 9:52pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Graham Roger is the chief scout now isn’t he?

I thought it was Bear Grylls.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 7, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Cloudy
Still no announcement of ticket details or have I missed it?

Very odd that no arrangements have been announced for an all ticket game less than 10 days away

Tickets will go on sale to Town fans tomorrow..........8 Bentley

Posted by: Mariner_09, March 8, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 43
1700 tickets in Stacey West stand, thought someone said we wouldn't be in there now as they sold ST in there.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/lincoln-city-ticket-information
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 8, 2018, 11:14am; Reply: 44
Quoted Text
Please note that all customers in the ticket office will be served prior to phone orders being taken.

That is not fair on exiles !
Posted by: oldun, March 8, 2018, 12:28pm; Reply: 45
The repairs to the flood damage are still going on so fans need to patient and not have a go at ticket office staff. They are also dealing with special offer tickets for P Vale and Stevenage.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 9, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 46
Got my 3 today, anyone know how sales are going.

Predict a rush when we win tomorrow.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 9, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 47
4 sold so far
Posted by: moosey_club, March 9, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 48
oh hang on..they counted one of them twice...3 sold so far  ;)
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), March 10, 2018, 6:44pm; Reply: 49
Anyone know how many are left?
Posted by: G.T.F.C, March 10, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 50
Got mine around 5.30pm sold 1100 so far apparently
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, March 11, 2018, 7:58pm; Reply: 51
I really want to go what are the chances of any being left by wednesday
Posted by: marinerrick, March 12, 2018, 1:33pm; Reply: 52
300 left This am. Got mine.
Posted by: mariner91, March 12, 2018, 1:38pm; Reply: 53
1400 sold then with most of the week left, should sell out. Shows how unlike the majority of the Lincoln fans we can't be accused of being plastic. Hilariously, less than 1 in 2 of the home fans there on Saturday will have been there the last time we played at Sincil Bank in a league fixture.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 12, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from mariner91
1400 sold then with most of the week left, should sell out. Shows how unlike the majority of the Lincoln fans we can't be accused of being plastic. Hilariously, less than 1 in 2 of the home fans there on Saturday will have been there the last time we played at Sincil Bank in a league fixture.

I usually read this forum and enjoy it, few good posters, Ginnywings, BP Vicar - But I had to reply to this post.

Why is it hilarious, we have grown our fan-base on the back of our success, I am not sure what is funny with that?
That is what most teams do (Bar Scunny), and I hardly think they are plastic when the majority are season ticket holders and shelled out nearly 300 pound a piece. We should be commended and copied for the way we have worked on this, clearly appointing a high profile Chief executive who we got from Doncaster was a good appointment and he has accelerated the new 1m training ground which will be ready from next season..

We have sold almost 24k for Wembley with 3 weeks to go - What did you actually take when you have been there and were obviously successful at that time? I can't imagine it was many more than that when you were doing well?

Any way , Good Luck, bar Saturday, for the rest of the season.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 12, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 55
Welcome!

Fair comments i think. I wish we had done half as well as Lincoln, but we seem to be taking the York approach to League 2 football.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 12, 2018, 3:40pm; Reply: 56

I usually read this forum and enjoy it, few good posters, Ginnywings, BP Vicar - But I had to reply to this post.

Why is it hilarious, we have grown our fan-base on the back of our success, I am not sure what is funny with that?
That is what most teams do (Bar Scunny), and I hardly think they are plastic when the majority are season ticket holders and shelled out nearly 300 pound a piece. We should be commended and copied for the way we have worked on this, clearly appointing a high profile Chief executive who we got from Doncaster was a good appointment and he has accelerated the new 1m training ground which will be ready from next season..

We have sold almost 24k for Wembley with 3 weeks to go - What did you actually take when you have been there and were obviously successful at that time? I can't imagine it was many more than that when you were doing well?

We took about 30k I think on our first visit in 1998 and then it was about 26k when we were back there a few weeks later.
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 12, 2018, 3:52pm; Reply: 57

To be fair it's a bit of a poison chalice really.  The competition that most fans disagree with at the moment and you pick it for your first time at Wembley.  I boycott it with a passion, but I can understand why you aren't.  I think there are more posts on here complimenting the way you have built your fan base than those having a pop.  Although, I can assure you that next Saturday I will be singing as loud as anyone   'Where where you when you were sh1t' ?  I think that's all we have left on you at the moment !!  To see your team come out at Wembley is a fantastic moment (whatever the occasion) and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  We did the first few times but it can become a bit of a chore  ;).  Let's hope you have to steer clear of this forum come 3 O'clock on Sat.  But I'm not holding my breath on that one.  UTM  
Posted by: mariner91, March 12, 2018, 3:54pm; Reply: 58

I see comments on social media, your forums etc mocking our attendances, claiming we wouldn’t sell our allocation etc etc as though Lincoln are a much bigger club and haven’t just recently had a load of Jonny come-lately’s jumping on the back of some success. All of the fans who stuck by you throughout the non-league years deserve the success but the others can do one when it comes to ‘banter’. The joys of footballing success follows the barren years where your team is crap. Most of your current ‘fan base’ couldn’t even be arsed to come to our league game at SB two years ago when we are supposedly rivals. They’re no better than people who support Premier League teams because they’re successful and I have no time for them either.

No doubt you’ll claim you were one of the 400 who came to BP on NYD four years ago, but equally I imagine most of the 8000 there on Saturday would also probably claim the same.

I agree that your club has been run well and I wish our board had taken advantage of promotion euphoria but, alas, they were too short sighted.

I also resent reading comments on social media and your forums suggesting how bad our fan base are in terms of behaviour. Every club has idiots associated and Lincoln are up there with the worst of them, as has been documented several times this season already. The moral high ground some of your fan base has towards us is bizarre and misplaced.

In conclusion, well managed club but with the most fickle fan base in the FL with just as many unsavoury individuals amongst them as we have. The hilarious part is that your fans either can’t or won’t see that.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 12, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 59

I usually read this forum and enjoy it, few good posters, Ginnywings, BP Vicar and that Moosey_Club fella  - But I had to reply to this post.

Spot on  ;)  

Hope it doesn't  last.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 12, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 60

To be fair it's a bit of a poison chalice really.  The competition that most fans disagree with at the moment and you pick it for your first time at Wembley.  I boycott it with a passion, but I can understand why you aren't.  I think there are more posts on here complimenting the way you have built your fan base than those having a pop.  Although, I can assure you that next Saturday I will be singing as loud as anyone   'Where where you when you were sh1t' ?  I think that's all we have left on you at the moment !!  To see your team come out at Wembley is a fantastic moment (whatever the occasion) and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  We did the first few times but it can become a bit of a chore  ;).  Let's hope you have to steer clear of this forum come 3 O'clock on Sat.  But I'm not holding my breath on that one.  UTM  

I suppose it's not our fault that the two times we reached the play off final, Wembley was being rebuilt and we had to go to Cardiff.
Derby games are certainly a leveller but we seem to have come through our sticky patch, last two away games were decent results, We should have actually beaten Mansfield as we were well on top.

Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 12, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from mariner91

I see comments on social media, your forums etc mocking our attendances, claiming we wouldn’t sell our allocation etc etc as though Lincoln are a much bigger club and haven’t just recently had a load of Jonny come-lately’s jumping on the back of some success. All of the fans who stuck by you throughout the non-league years deserve the success but the others can do one when it comes to ‘banter’. The joys of footballing success follows the barren years where your team is crap. Most of your current ‘fan base’ couldn’t even be arsed to come to our league game at SB two years ago when we are supposedly rivals. They’re no better than people who support Premier League teams because they’re successful and I have no time for then either.

No doubt you’ll claim you were one of the 400 who came to BP on NYD four years ago, but equally I imagine most of the 8000 there on Saturday would also probably claim the same.

I agree that your club has been run well and I wish our board had taken advantage of promotion euphoria but, alas, they were too short sighted.

I also resent reading comments on social media and your forums suggesting how bad our fan base are in terms of behaviour. Every club has idiots associated and Lincoln are up there with the worst of them, as has been documented several times this season already. The moral high ground some of your fan base has towards us is bizarre and misplaced.

In conclusion, well managed club but with the most fickle fan base in the FL with just as many unsavoury individuals amongst them as we have. The hilarious part is that your fans either can’t or won’t see that.

I'm 47 and have been to Grimsby games for the best part of 30 years, first being when you beat us 1-0, and David Gilbert scoring the winner. Was a lively day, all day.
You need to relax a bit and you're right every club has idiots as you club showed Saturday. To say we have the most fickle fan base, just is plain silly. We have built our fan-base, and we get decent crowds, everything is moving in the right direction, New training ground, record profits, new ground coming soon too. I am hopeful we will sustain this, I will be amazed if we go up this year as I don;t think we are ready, but hopefully with the 750k from the checkatrade we can get 2 or 3 decent players, to add to a decent squad and push on. Certainly I think we will be one of the stronger, best supported sides in the division next year.

As I said, bar Saturday, Good luck.with your last games. I have absolutely no doubt you will stay up. Chesterfield were poor.
Posted by: mariner91, March 12, 2018, 4:49pm; Reply: 62

I'm 47 and have been to Grimsby games for the best part of 30 years, first being when you beat us 1-0, and David Gilbert scoring the winner. Was a lively day, all day.
You need to relax a bit and you're right every club has idiots as you club showed Saturday. To say we have the most fickle fan base, just is plain silly. We have built our fan-base, and we get decent crowds, everything is moving in the right direction, New training ground, record profits, new ground coming soon too. I am hopeful we will sustain this, I will be amazed if we go up this year as I don;t think we are ready, but hopefully with the 750k from the checkatrade we can get 2 or 3 decent players, to add to a decent squad and push on. Certainly I think we will be one of the stronger, best supported sides in the division next year.

As I said, bar Saturday, Good luck.with your last games. I have absolutely no doubt you will stay up. Chesterfield were poor.

You haven't "built" a fanbase, your attendances doubled in the space of three months when you went on a cup run. That isn't down to some grand masterplan from your board or some long term management that has seen an increase. It was people jumping on the bandwagon, pure and simple. Like I said previously, your board has done well to make the most of momentum that promotion gets you but don't make out they were the reason behind the big increase in attendances. Fickle fans who didn't want to come when you were shite and people who'd never been interested in you before some success were the driving factors behind that.

Posted by: moosey_club, March 12, 2018, 5:01pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from mariner91

You haven't "built" a fanbase, your attendances doubled in the space of three months when you went on a cup run. That isn't down to some grand masterplan from your board or some long term management that has seen an increase. It was people jumping on the bandwagon, pure and simple. Like I said previously, your board has done well to make the most of momentum that promotion gets you but don't make out they were the reason behind the big increase in attendances. Fickle fans who didn't want to come when you were shite and people who'd never been interested in you before some success were the driving factors behind that.

Does it actually matter where they came from ? Everything needs a catalyst, Lincoln had the cup run as theirs on the back of getting rid of a much maligned chairmen or directors if i recall correctly.
The thing that matters is that they retained the new fans by getting them to buy an ST for the next season.......after our most successful season ever in 98 i would doubt we doubled season ticket sales never mind trebled them....after winning promotion back to the league we added about 1000.....can you remember the Target 3000 campaign ?? Utterly pathetic.

For only our third season back in the league i expect the number of ST's to drop next year.  Hats off to Lincoln i am afraid as far as marketing goes.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 12, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from mariner91

You really have a very biased view - Success breeds new fans. We have capitalised on this. Family zone, etc, lots of interaction with schools and the community too, by the managers, SLO's etc.Your posts are just silly, they didn't come when we weer poor, because we had a poor management team, poor decision makers at the club too. Yes the Cup run helped, obviously, but your blinkered - which is fine, but there is much more to it than you can see down the A46.

The new Chief executive has built upon this, who is to say that we won't keep the fans through thick and thin, we have hardly been setting the world alight this season. We took nearly 2k to both Mansfield and Chesterfield, and sold nearly 4k for Coventry on the back of a 4-1 home defeat. People are buying in to what we are doing - Long may it continue. I would prefer to do it via success rather than Fenty banging in cash you didn't have, and that is the reason you are saddled with him.

We could have spent the 4 million turnover we had last season on a better team, but building a training complex for a million and spending on the infrastructure will stand us in good stead for the future. Long term view is better in my eyes.

Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 12, 2018, 5:16pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from moosey_club

Does it actually matter where they came from ? Everything needs a catalyst, Lincoln had the cup run as theirs on the back of getting rid of a much maligned chairmen or directors if i recall correctly.
The thing that matters is that they retained the new fans by getting them to buy an ST for the next season.......after our most successful season ever in 98 i would doubt we doubled season ticket sales never mind trebled them....after winning promotion back to the league we added about 1000.....can you remember the Target 3000 campaign ?? Utterly pathetic.

For only our third season back in the league i expect the number of ST's to drop next year.  Hats off to Lincoln i am afraid as far as marketing goes.

The chairman is still there - But we got Clive Nates, who has made us more Professional, pushed us on.
I actually thought I would get more love from the forum seeing as we battered Chesterfield for you Saturday!

Posted by: McAllisters Ghost, March 12, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 66

.... I would prefer to do it via success rather than Fenty banging in cash you didn't have, and that is the reason you are saddled with him.

I think that's a misconception you guys have.  We have a 2 million loan to him from money that was 'banged in' quite a while back - so thats over the decade plus he has been in tenure.  

A big part of where we are and why we got out of the league came from the fans raising money from Operation Promotion so you can't just put it down to the illusion that we were funded heavily by our chairman to buy our way out the league. Not even sure if we would have been in the top 5 budget for that league for that season.  

We haven't had Fenty 'banging in' the money, its been a story of doing things on the cheap and shopping bargain basement, two for the price of one signings and shipping out our only quality players to cut expenses - and thats a big part of exactly why we sit where we do now and face relegation.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 12, 2018, 5:33pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from McAllisters Ghost

I think that's a misconception you guys have.  We have a 2 million loan to him from money that was 'banged in' along time ago - so thats over the decade plus he has been in tenure.  

A big part of where we are and why we got out of the league came from the fans raising money from Operation Promotion so you can't just put it down to the illusion that we were funded heavily by our chairman to buy our way out the league. Not even sure if we would have been in the top 5 budget for that league for that season.  

We haven't had Fenty 'banging in' the money, its been a story of doing things on the cheap and shopping bargain basement, two for the price of one signings and shipping out our only quality players to cut expenses - and thats a big part of exactly why we sit where we do now and face relegation.

Sorry I meant more to the point, that unless he gets 2 million he would not go, which I imagine is a big ask.
Posted by: McAllisters Ghost, March 12, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 68

Sorry I meant more to the point, that unless he gets 2 million he would not go, which I imagine is a big ask.

Sorry - yes it seems you are right on that count. And unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an attractive proposition to outsiders to work alongside him. There have been a couple of other investors come in to the club but they don't seem to stick around very long unfortunately.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 12, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 69
Lincoln have been, and are very well-managed.  This has largely come from FAC success and the appointment of a good management team.  Everything has been build on these foundations.  The Club is on the up at present. Good luck to them.  We should aspire to this success.

Football goes in cycles as we know.  Look where Lincoln were 5 years ago?  Who knows where they will be in 5 or 10 years time?    

The large increase in fans came quickly.  The vast majority, or majority of new fans, could disappear just as quickly with a sustained series of bad performances and results.   The managers will not be around in the long-term either.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 12, 2018, 6:25pm; Reply: 70
Living here for 40 years I think the truth lays somewhere in the middle of the two main opinions put forward..

There is no doubt that the Cup run coupled with a very successful league campaign was the main catalyst for the crowd increase. The fact that the FACup home matches were available at reduced prices meant quick sales and historically “regular” supporters missing out. This was capitalised upon with the sale of the mini- season tickets and going into this season fans not wanting to miss out gobbled up season tickets. All of which has been well supported by the CX, the Managers and good PR.

However, will the crowds stay if form disappeared and Lincoln return to the bottom half of league 2 playing poor football (a la us this season)? Hypothetically I believe a portion of the new fans will be hooked and stick around but I know dozens of guys who have literally jumped on the bandwagon after normally attending a couple of games per season and I also know that should the good ship sail away so would they and Lincoln would probably go down to a hard core fan base of around 3500 which is about 1200 more than before this started.

As for the Cowley brothers, disappointingly for us town fans, I have every reason to believe they will be here for at least two more years given their search to buy houses rather than live in those provided by the club. I think they are guys with integrity who will leave eventually but not until they have reached the pinnacle of their ambitions with Lincoln. Only danger to this in my mind is if a club like Ipswich came in for them, close to their roots, well run stable club which is basically a big version of Lincoln with a history of backing their Manager.

Dreading Saturday as my visit to the local is bound to be a constant ear bashing and p... taking event as cannot see us getting anything out the game.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, March 12, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 71
But back on thread - are there any tickets left for Weds general sale, or am I going to miss out? If I do, I blame the Cowelys, last couple of times I've walked up and paid on the turnstile to go in the silly little stand down the side.
Posted by: immariner, March 12, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 72
If anyone can't make it and will have a ticket going (or two) I would be very grateful if you could keep me in mind to take it off your hands. Never missed a Town-Lincoln fixture since we dropped down to Lg2 and living in Lincoln, would be gutted not to be in the away end.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 13, 2018, 9:12am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Les Brechin

We took about 30k I think on our first visit in 1998 and then it was about 26k when we were back there a few weeks later.

Yep, What did you take against Bristol Rovers in 2015?
Also against Village Green in 2016?

Posted by: Mariner_09, March 13, 2018, 9:14am; Reply: 74
About 16k against Brizzle and 14k against FGR, bare in mind they were our 3rd and 4th visits to the new Wembley and 5th and 6th visits overall. Also they were our 2nd and 3rd visits in 2 and 3 years respectively.

I.e. that's not a great comparison. We took about 25k to the JPT final against MK Dons in 2008.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 13, 2018, 9:35am; Reply: 75

You asked "How many did we take when we were successful at the time", not "How many did we take when we were non-league fodder"  :P

As for that illegitimate Franchise Scum game in 2008, it would have been 1 more but I was in hospital having my head carved open (again) on that day.  ??)
Posted by: ginnywings, March 13, 2018, 9:40am; Reply: 76

Does it matter?

Both our clubs have the capacity to take over 20,000 fans to a final, dependent on circumstances at the time. Our support has held up pretty well considering we haven't had much to cheer about for well over a decade. We have lost a generation of fans in that time, whereas you have tapped into one by choosing the right manager. We are all at the mercy of our decision makers.
Posted by: Meggie13, March 13, 2018, 11:27am; Reply: 77
Quoted from immariner
If anyone can't make it and will have a ticket going (or two) I would be very grateful if you could keep me in mind to take it off your hands. Never missed a Town-Lincoln fixture since we dropped down to Lg2 and living in Lincoln, would be gutted not to be in the away end.

I've a spare ST stub - I've sent you a PM. UTM
Posted by: Jaws, March 13, 2018, 12:06pm; Reply: 78

You were dying as a club - copying our Operation Promotion to try and keep afloat. You got lucky and took a punt on 1 good manager after years of poor performances. You were never anyway near getting out of the conference until they came along. Couple of cupsets and people jumped on the bandwagon instantly, there was no steady increase over time. there was no plan; if you didn't have the Cowley's or  certain teams drawn in the FA cup you'd still be in the bottom half of the conference.

As for Wembley, we must have sold well over 100,000 tickets for it over the past 20 years... the novelty's worn off we've been that many times. Maybe we should ask how many tickets you sold to home games when you were in non league? How many season ticket holders did you have last season?
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 13, 2018, 12:31pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Jaws

You were dying as a club - copying our Operation Promotion to try and keep afloat. You got lucky and took a punt on 1 good manager after years of poor performances. You were never anyway near getting out of the conference until they came along. Couple of cupsets and people jumped on the bandwagon instantly, there was no steady increase over time. there was no plan; if you didn't have the Cowley's or  certain teams drawn in the FA cup you'd still be in the bottom half of the conference.

As for Wembley, we must have sold well over 100,000 tickets for it over the past 20 years... the novelty's worn off we've been that many times. Maybe we should ask how many tickets you sold to home games when you were in non league? How many season ticket holders did you have last season?

Because?
Whats the point of dwelling on History, you sound like Liverpool fans - Its about what is happening now?
Wembley is irrelevant - Last time you were there the attendance was 17k..I couldn't give a  Monkeys about that.
As for luck, with our crowd increase, success - Again ridiculous - You could say that about Burton, Fleetwood, and many others - The difference is we have capitalised on our success, you haven't. And at the moment we are some distance in front in terms of plans, finances and team.

Posted by: ginnywings, March 13, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 80
Nothing more tedious than a gloating Imp. You weren't even on our radar when i was growing up watching the Mariners. We've been where you are now, and yeah, it's great while it lasts, so just go and enjoy it while you are on the up. We'll see you on your way down.  ;)
Posted by: Shilts, March 13, 2018, 1:24pm; Reply: 81
Just rang the ticket office. Now sold out.
Posted by: Jaws, March 13, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 82

Because?
Whats the point of dwelling on History, you sound like Liverpool fans - Its about what is happening now?
Wembley is irrelevant - Last time you were there the attendance was 17k..I couldn't give a  Monkeys about that.
As for luck, with our crowd increase, success - Again ridiculous - You could say that about Burton, Fleetwood, and many others - The difference is we have capitalised on our success, you haven't. And at the moment we are some distance in front in terms of plans, finances and team.

You've only been relevant for 12 months. Don't get ahead of yourselves.
Posted by: devs, March 13, 2018, 2:40pm; Reply: 83
Jaws - you concentrate on the present and the future cos you have no past
4 good seasons in 133 years - wow!

You cannot talk about the present or the future without including the past

On that basis the 1969 Moon landing is irrelevant when you consider where space technology is now - and 1969 is probably the greatest technical achievement of the 20th century... alongside Alan Buckley's style of football in the 80s and 90s, obviously.

If I'm being honest if Lincoln play well Saturday you could/should win easily but....

So get your footy almanac out and compare the two sides' history - then wind your neck in and make sure your armchair is suitable to get through the turnstiles along with about 4-5000 others on Saturday
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 13, 2018, 2:51pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from devs
Jaws - you concentrate on the present and the future cos you have no past
4 good seasons in 133 years - wow!

You cannot talk about the present or the future without including the past

On that basis the 1969 Moon landing is irrelevant when you consider where space technology is now - and 1969 is probably the greatest technical achievement of the 20th century... alongside Alan Buckley's style of football in the 80s and 90s, obviously.

If I'm being honest if Lincoln play well Saturday you could/should win easily but....

So get your footy almanac out and compare the two sides' history - then wind your neck in and make sure your armchair is suitable to get through the turnstiles along with about 4-5000 others on Saturday

What Armchair - I have watched Lincoln for 40 years. Yes I agree your history is better. Brilliant - I get your analogy, you'd rather be Leeds than Burnley, Rather be Luton than Burton.

I have already said we aren't playing that great, but we are where we are. You could easily win, I am more than happy where we are after being in that hellhole for 6 years.7th is probably slightly above where we should be. But we do have good players, Can score goals and bar the odd blip have a very solid defence.

Posted by: FishFan101, March 13, 2018, 2:52pm; Reply: 85
Managed to get 4 tickets, phew. Just under 1,700 seems a poor allocation. Didn't we get closer to 2,000 in the stacey west previously? Can anyone shed any light :-/
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, March 13, 2018, 2:57pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from FishFan101
Managed to get 4 tickets, phew. Just under 1,700 seems a poor allocation. Didn't we get closer to 2,000 in the stacey west previously? Can anyone shed any light :-/

Segregation in the SW, Historically would have been in the Co-Op stand, but that is all Season tickets really so only place is in the SW, meaning you get 300 less.  

Posted by: devs, March 13, 2018, 3:43pm; Reply: 87
Apologies Nealeardleyscrossing - got my wires crossed in the thread!
Respect for being a genuine fan
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, March 13, 2018, 4:22pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from FishFan101

I believe we did mate, but they have some more fans now so don't need us to make sure their ground is full this year ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, March 13, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Les Brechin

FFS Les how much longer are we going to bang on about 1998, its 20 years ago, many of those following Lincoln now were either not born or too young to go to matches

We can't drone on about it forever, they are doing well whilst we are total shite, they are getting crowds we are not, they are making money we are not, they are possibly playoff bound we are not (far from it in fact) they got automatic promotion we did not, they consolidated after promotion we did not, they did not employ Slade.

They are currently in a better place than us and are in the ascendancy so they have bragging rights

Until Saturday...

Posted by: Les Brechin, March 13, 2018, 4:34pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Ipswin

FFS Les how much longer are we going to bang on about 1998, its 20 years ago, many of those following Lincoln now were either not born or too young to go to matches

We can't drone on about it forever, they are doing well whilst we are total shite, they are getting crowds we are not, they are making money we are not, they are possibly playoff bound we are not (far from it in fact) they got automatic promotion we did not, they consolidated after promotion we did not, they did not employ Slade.

They are currently in a better place than us and are in the ascendancy so they have bragging rights

Until Saturday...

I was just answering a question which was asked, that's all. Keep yer hair on!
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 13, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Les Brechin

I was just answering a question which was asked, that's all. Keep yer hair on!

Come on Les, you know better than to feed him.  He lives off this sh1t.  Give him a nice big tick and ruin his day  :)
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 13, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 92
All I'll say is that "cream always rises to the top" so enjoy the present but, the natural order of things will be restored eventually.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 13, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 93

Come on Les, you know better than to feed him.  He lives off this sh1t.  Give him a nice big tick and ruin his day  :)

Oh please intercourse off back to the MCTC,

I am sick to death of all the 'we are a bigger club than you, we took more to Wembley than you, we took more away to Histon than you' shite.

Current results and league position are sadly  more important than history and Lincoln, at the moment,are making us look very ordinary both on and off the pitch.

Posted by: Civvy at last, March 13, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Ipswin

Oh please intercourse off back to the MCTC,

I am sick to death of all the 'we are a bigger club than you, we took more to Wembley than you, we took more away to Histon than you' shite.

Current results and league position are sadly  more important than history and Lincoln, at the moment,are making us look very ordinary both on and off the pitch.

Totally agree Swin. It’s another big tick ✅ from me 😁
Posted by: Cloudy, March 13, 2018, 6:25pm; Reply: 95
Yes, good to see we have sold out our allocation. No doubt 20% or so will be moronic nerds out for a scrap and ruin the day out for others. Both sides have a fair number of idiots who will not be attending for the football.

My view is that whatever happens on Saturday both teams will kick off in August on level points in League 2
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 5:28pm