Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: davmariner, February 23, 2018, 7:02pm
[tweet]967094243960524800[/tweet]

Anyone hear what was said?
Posted by: Pouton4ever, February 23, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 1
Said they have a short list but are interest in hearing from more people. Questioned why players like Sol Campbell would say there's no management opportunitys when he hasn't applied. Said Askey has seemingly decided to stay at Macc. Also that they will take their time but would like a manager installed with 7 or so games left to go. Also that Wilko is a great coach and would like him as part of the set up even when someone is appointed
Posted by: chaos33, February 23, 2018, 7:06pm; Reply: 2
Oh god
Posted by: Pouton4ever, February 23, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 3
Sorry I tried to edit my last post and deleted it by mistake- wasn't trying to be incendiary just that there was nothing to go "oh god" about- it was actually, in my humble opinion, a good interview- nothing to get riled or worried about
Posted by: moosey_club, February 23, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 4
Well....i like that it sounds like we are just not accepting we have to appoint someone so are looking for further applicants perhaps...

however he has also said younger applicants and people who have just finished playing...call me cynical but that sounds like cheap applicants.

and keen to keep Wilko as part of it.....JF put the dynamic duo together which clearly hasnt worked.....most managers have assistants/ friends/ associates they trust and want to work with....surely John this could also put applicants off an already hard sell...not won in 13, hardly scoring, deflated squad, no room for manouvre on new players AND you also have to work with Wilko

Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 23, 2018, 7:22pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from moosey_club
Well....i like that it sounds like we are just not accepting we have to appoint someone so are looking for further applicants perhaps...

however he has also said younger applicants and people who have just finished playing...call me cynical but that sounds like cheap applicants.

and keen to keep Wilko as part of it.....JF put the dynamic duo together which clearly hasnt worked.....most managers have assistants/ friends/ associates they trust and want to work with....surely John this could also put applicants off an already hard sell...not won in 13, hardly scoring, deflated squad, no room for manouvre on new players AND you also have to work with Wilko

Absolutely. We've got no appetite to bring in a management team and it seems we've already been snubbed by our 3 top targets in McCall, Brown and Askey. We could end up with someone with zero experience dealing with what is a huge mess.
Posted by: davmariner, February 23, 2018, 7:35pm; Reply: 6
Thanks, well I guess we can put that Askey rumour to bed.
Posted by: H19P1, February 23, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 7
Who's next in the rumour?
Posted by: Davec, February 23, 2018, 7:43pm; Reply: 8
To be fair to Wilko he has coached at a higher level and is seemingly a well respected coach, but I have reservations as his suitability as an assistant manager, I wonder if Wilko would he willing to drop down to a coach if a new manager would like to bring in his own assistant.

Has anybody got a link please of what Fenty said?
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, February 23, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 9
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05x0mpc#play[/url]

Starts about 23 minutes in
Posted by: Meza, February 23, 2018, 8:09pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club

Or like me is sick of seeing the same boring applicants i.e merry go-round managers and wants someone new, someone fresh like PH, DC etc
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 23, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 11
Sounds to me like he's after a young manager who has not long retired, Nolan at county for example.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 23, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 12
Very encouraging that he wants a "young, hungry manager".

Reading between the lines the shortlist isn't really good enough, otherwise it wouldn't be a shortlist any more would it?
Posted by: forza ivano, February 23, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 13
Sounds like someone who's getting a bit desperate. 3 people turned him down, rest of the short list are obviously Shiite and he's reduced to pleading through the media for anyone with any ability to apply. I'm beginning to despair
Posted by: GrimRob, February 23, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from forza ivano
Sounds like someone who's getting a bit desperate. 3 people turned him down, rest of the short list are obviously Shiite and he's reduced to pleading through the media for anyone with any ability to apply. I'm beginning to despair

I think it's a good move. He's effectively saying there's a job for the taking if you are a player towards the end of your career looking for a club. We really need someone young and enthusiastic to get the place buzzing again! The word will soon spread on the football grapeline that there's a chance here for somone. There's only around 100 professional clubs and we're not in financial difficulty so it's the perfect point for someone to launch a career! Look what Buckley achieved in this very division when he took over!
Posted by: forza ivano, February 23, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 15
Sorry I think it's desperation.if he'd wanted that type of manager he'd have come out 2 weeks ago and said it. The fact he's only said it now having been turned down by 3 experienced managers shows he's run out of options. It's got all the makings of a disaster arrogant, ex pro who's probably richer than fenty up against a man who's never been wrong in his life
Posted by: Ipswin, February 23, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from forza ivano

Its turning into another fiasco, the joke club of the Football League does it again, Fenty intercourse-up #12.

No one wants the bloody job and who can blame them

We could easily end up with one of the Fishy applicants (Big Chris?)

Whoever eventually gets it will need a tracksuit with '15th choice' on the back

Posted by: Garth, February 23, 2018, 10:28pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from forza ivano
Sorry I think it's desperation.if he'd wanted that type of manager he'd have come out 2 weeks ago and said it. The fact he's only said it now having been turned down by 3 experienced managers shows he's run out of options. It's got all the makings of a disaster arrogant, ex pro who's probably richer than fenty up against a man who's never been wrong in his life

Its not his fault if the ones he wanted have decided to either stay or go elsewhere, he may be part of the course of them refusing
but he cannot press gang them into it, no rush in my opinion see who comes forward out of unknowns.

Until then get behind Wilki, you never know you may be suprised
Posted by: olimariner, February 23, 2018, 10:49pm; Reply: 18
Cheap, that’s it we know what the option is that the board are looking for cheap end of....All of the managers we have been linked with have turned us down because we are a cheap club offering cheap contracts no doubt. When Macclesfield manager who isn’t getting paid on time turns us down it just shows what we are up against....
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Pouton4ever
Said they have a short list but are interest in hearing from more people. Questioned why players like Sol Campbell would say there's no management opportunitys when he hasn't applied. Said Askey has seemingly decided to stay at Macc. Also that they will take their time but would like a manager installed with 7 or so games left to go. Also that Wilko is a great coach and would like him as part of the set up even when someone is appointed

Strewth. The man's clueless. He should leave the manager to pick his own staff. We're already restricting any new manager by appointing him after the transfer window has closed.
Posted by: rancido, February 24, 2018, 12:27pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from olimariner
Cheap, that’s it we know what the option is that the board are looking for cheap end of....All of the managers we have been linked with have turned us down because we are a cheap club offering cheap contracts no doubt. When Macclesfield manager who isn’t getting paid on time turns us down it just shows what we are up against....

Do you have any evidence to support this? Do you categorically know what Slade was on or Hurst or in fact what is on offer to any manager? It's very easy to speculate but you have no facts to back up your statement.
Posted by: realist, February 24, 2018, 12:33pm; Reply: 21
Its called a debate/conversation Rancido - you present your point of view and the recipient decides if it is credible or not.  Why this constant thirst for evidence - it is not always there.
Posted by: rancido, February 24, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from realist
Its called a debate/conversation Rancido - you present your point of view and the recipient decides if it is credible or not.  Why this constant thirst for evidence - it is not always there.

I understand debate/conversation but stating something is a "cheap" approach comes over as a statement of fact. If the poster had said " in my opinion " then that is debate. There is always evidence but whether it can be found is another matter. As regards what is on offer to a prospective manager, that will be known to JF and one or two others at the club but having it divulged is not available unless they wish to reveal it.
Posted by: Stadium, February 24, 2018, 1:23pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from rancido

I understand debate/conversation but stating something is a "cheap" approach comes over as a statement of fact. If the poster had said " in my opinion " then that is debate. There is always evidence but whether it can be found is another matter. As regards what is on offer to a prospective manager, that will be known to JF and one or two others at the club but having it divulged is not available unless they wish to reveal it.

???
It's an internet forum,if you want the truth head towards the OS.
Posted by: chaos33, February 24, 2018, 1:35pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from forza ivano

This
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 24, 2018, 1:47pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from olimariner

Sorry since when did lashing out vasts amount of money guarantee success?  We probably need a virtual new squad next season that doesn't come cheap you have to cut your cloth to suit.

It's up to the board to juggle finances unless somebody wins the Lotto and donates and least ten million to the cub with no conditions attached.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 24, 2018, 4:14pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Stadium

???
It's an internet forum,if you want the truth head towards the OS.

That's a matter of opinion   ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Grimsby2012, February 24, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 27
After the Poor show today.I think it's obvious Wilko isn't getting the job. He may need time for his style to work, Unfortunately we don't have that at the moment..
Posted by: RoboCod, February 24, 2018, 6:05pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Grimsby2012
After the Poor show today.I think it's obvious Wilko isn't getting the job. He may need time for his style to work, Unfortunately we don't have that at the moment..

Trouble is, with every defeat we move closer to the trapdoor and the choice of manager is whittled down even further. No one of any significance wanted it prior to today, there'll be even less wanting to take on a 5th from bottom team, and no one with any sanity will be interested after the next defeat.
Wilko has it until the end of the season I feel, simply because no one of any worth else wants it.

The House of Slade should have been pulled down before Xmas, not just the facade, not just the walls but the wonky foundations and a new ones put in place. Short of a time machine we're without hope, how on earth did Slade manage to stay here, in charge of team affairs through the most crucial transfer window in our history, allowed to stay and vandalise the club further. Shameful.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 24, 2018, 6:19pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Grimsby2012

With all the excrement he's getting after just two games, why would he want it?

Posted by: ackomariner, February 24, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 30
Askey wanted to bring Brian Horton as his number 2, who been with him for six years but Fenty wanted PW as his number 2.
That's why he's staying put at Macclesfield
Posted by: oldun, February 24, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 31
To be fair the fans did not have a go at Wilki or the players today. They were quite supportive, don't let Fenty tell you otherwise.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ackomariner
Askey wanted to bring Brian Horton as his number 2, who been with him for six years but Fenty wanted PW as his number 2.

I feel this issue will be a sticking point. I imagine that Brown was in the same boat. The job comes with an incumbent assistant. JF said as much on the radio the other night.
Posted by: davmariner, February 24, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ackomariner

Correct. Seems he’s trying to force Wilko on any potential new manager.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 24, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 34
New manager needs to bring his own assistant in we should be backing them and giving him the tools he needs
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 24, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
New manager needs to bring his own assistant in we should be backing them and giving him the tools he needs

Its not even a difficult conundrum to solve is it? Have the new man bring his own assistant in, and  keep Wilko on in a coaching role or whatever for the time being.

Fenty has been far too complacent during the last 3 months, but he won't be when he sees tonights league table. Too late now - nobody who would be in our top 5 targets will put their reputation on the line in a situation like this as it is too much of a gamble from their point of view.
Posted by: Pouton4ever, February 24, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ackomariner

This is rubbish
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 24, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 37
If gtfc has lost out on its preferred targets as manager because Fenty insisted on keeping wilco he is a bigger idiot than I took him for.
Personally don't believe that. Probably more a case of not being prepared to pay the going rate for a successful manager.
Either way I am out as they say on dragons den.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 24, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

I feel this issue will be a sticking point. I imagine that Brown was in the same boat. The job comes with an incumbent assistant. JF said as much on the radio the other night.

Could well of been the same circumstances with Brown, but that chapters gone now. So on to the next one....
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 24, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from ackomariner

Really? Who told you that then?

Obviously the same person who said Brown had been offered the job when he was actually on holiday in Cuba and didn’t get back until Thursday  
Posted by: ackomariner, February 24, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Really? Who told you that then?

Obviously the same person who said Brown had been offered the job when he was actually on holiday in Cuba and didn’t get back until Thursday  

Someone down dock... :)

The second part of your question, you've got yourself in a muddle because I've never stated anywhere that Brown was offered the position...

You'll be a long while looking back through the posts and when you find it you can post it up.... :X
Posted by: Cloudy, February 24, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ackomariner

Horton hasn't been at Macclesfield for years!

You don't half post some lies!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 24, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from ackomariner

The second part of your question, you've got yourself in a muddle because I've never stated anywhere that Brown was offered the position...

You'll be a long while looking back through the posts and when you find it you can post it up.... :X

Horton has been Brown’s number two at a number of clubs so I think you may crossed your wires somewhere along the way!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 24, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from ackomariner

Did I say you posted the Brown thing? Nope! Read back my post.

If I where you I'd ask Brian Horton  ;)
Posted by: Pouton4ever, February 24, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Pouton4ever

This is rubbish

I got a load of red crosses for saying this is rubbish and it genuinely is- a quick check of even Wikipedia will tell you that https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Horton
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 11:05pm