Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, February 23, 2018, 6:21pm
John has just said on RH he is surprised we havent heard from sol campbell and we’d
Like to have a chat with him. FFS!!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 1
Probably try to sell him the club. Doubt he knows where Grimsby is.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 23, 2018, 6:36pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Hagrid
John has just said on RH he is surprised we havent heard from sol campbell and we’d
Like to have a chat with him. FFS!!

John would say to him  ,    " never mind just being our manager you can be chairman as well,

It will only cost you £2 million then you can pay yourself what you like and never get the sack,

Its an offer too good to be true Sol,

The only problem is the fans they expect the team to play good football and win the odd game."

FFS  John don't do it !!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 23, 2018, 6:39pm; Reply: 3
i would have him. think he would put the fear of god into the players. puts the fear of god in me lol
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, February 23, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 4
Disaster written all over it.

1 of the biggest bellends to come out of football imo. So self-entitled & seems to think he's owed something from football.
Posted by: gytone, February 23, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 5
Not really a fan of Sol Campbell, but I would love someone like Craig Bellamy, he said he would be prepared to go anywhere and to any club to start his management career, he's probably not applied for the Town job, but we could always approach him. Don't know what he's like as a manager or coach but he'd certainly bring passion.
Posted by: Pouton4ever, February 23, 2018, 7:13pm; Reply: 6
That's not what he said at all- he said he s looking for that type of manager and finds it strange that Campbell is talking about how hard it is to find jobs but hasn't applied
Posted by: Hagrid, February 23, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Pouton4ever
That's not what he said at all- he said he s looking for that type of manager and finds it strange that Campbell is talking about how hard it is to find jobs but hasn't applied

Which is exactly what i said. And yes he did say he’d welcome a chat so i would say go listen to it
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 23, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 8
I think the money on offer would put off any ex prem player.,

Unless they wanted to buy the club.
Posted by: Mallyner, February 23, 2018, 7:26pm; Reply: 9
I personally dont think Sol will be hungry enough but recent!y and nothing to do with us, a Sunday columnist recommended that he thought Craig Bellamy would make a great manger. A loose cannon at times but he always played to win and with passion.
Posted by: OneLove, February 23, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 10
18 managers in total since 2004, now your telling me a young manager will want to come here with him at the helm.
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 23, 2018, 7:43pm; Reply: 11
Assuming Bellamy doesn't get the Oxford job, I reckon he'd be a great appointment for us.

Reports of his coaching at Cardiff are top notch, and as someone else said, he'd play to win and really put some fire into the club.

Him or David Healy, or realistically any of the top 10 managers in the Conference barring Askey (hard to see him leaving Macc) and Still (past it).
Posted by: LH, February 23, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 12
Sol Campbell probably only applied at Oxford because it’s a nice place to live or close enough to London to commute from. I would guess that he probably applies for anything in the South East but whinges no-one down there wants him to have a go.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2018, 8:13pm; Reply: 13
Just listened to the piece on Humberside, and it's clear there are no outstanding candidates, so they are throwing the net wider. It just reads to me like they are getting the same applications form the same tired old merry go round types and are looking to stall a little and see if someone more interesting can be persuaded to throw his hat into the ring. It doesn't read like a come and get it invitation to Sol Campbell from what i'm hearing.

I am heartened a bit that they are considering all options, with an emphasis on up and coming talent, which would be my preference. Problem being that managers of that type are clearly not being drawn in. Sounds like they have 3 or 4 they would give the job to if they had to, but it could be any of those four, and that's the problem. I'm beginning to hope more and more that Wilko can step up to the plate, and i think the board are too.

Looks like he is going to get another 2-3 games at least. Over to you Paul.
Posted by: TAGG, February 23, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 14
Isn't there a manager out there who's been sacked three times in the last 12 months?? He'd be perfect for John
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, February 23, 2018, 8:58pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings
Just listened to the piece on Humberside, and it's clear there are no outstanding candidates, so they are throwing the net wider. It just reads to me like they are getting the same applications form the same tired old merry go round types and are looking to stall a little and see if someone more interesting can be persuaded to throw his hat into the ring. It doesn't read like a come and get it invitation to Sol Campbell from what i'm hearing.

I am heartened a bit that they are considering all options, with an emphasis on up and coming talent, which would be my preference. Problem being that managers of that type are clearly not being drawn in. Sounds like they have 3 or 4 they would give the job to if they had to, but it could be any of those four, and that's the problem. I'm beginning to hope more and more that Wilko can step up to the plate, and i think the board are too.

Looks like he is going to get another 2-3 games at least. Over to you Paul.

That's how I heard it Ginny - not a come and get it invitation to Sol at all.

Posted by: Sigone, February 23, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 16
He's on the debate show tonight

Edit:- he's not now its craig bellamy instead
Posted by: forza ivano, February 23, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 17
Sol,Campbell? Please god, no! I think those who are hoping Paul wilkinson  gets it obviously didn't go last week, which was just same old ,same old.powder puff in both attack n defence, no pace or skill and just so easy to beat. Teams don't have to do very much to score against us
Posted by: Skrill, February 23, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 18
I don't think he'll be that bad. He could do a Kevin Nolan and that'll be fantastic!
Posted by: RoboCod, February 23, 2018, 9:16pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

That's how I heard it Ginny - not a come and get it invitation to Sol at all.

Same here, at least that's how I hope it was meant. More proving a point to Campbell that he can moan about being ignored but he needs to show his face at some clubs, lower league ones too if he wants his point to be taken seriously.
Does seem like it may have been interpreted as a job interview invite in the media however...[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43175702[/url]
Posted by: forza ivano, February 23, 2018, 9:16pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Skrill
I don't think he'll be that bad. He could do a Kevin Nolan and that'll be fantastic!

I think he will.i think he won't and I think it'll be a disaster.arrogant so n so who hasn't got a clue about lower leagues
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 23, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 21
Him and Fenty together would be an absolute car crash.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 23, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 22
Very shrewd of John Fenty to jump on the Sol Campbell topical bandwagon, to highlight the vacancy to young up and coming managers.

I like it. Great move John.

I reckon this will now spark an interest from some decent candidates
Posted by: forza ivano, February 23, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Him and Fenty together would be an absolute car crash.

Totally agree Rodley. I reckon he'd be sacked before the end of sept or oct with scarcely a point on the board. Bellamy might be an interesting option
Posted by: hheh2, February 23, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 120790
Very shrewd of John Fenty to jump on the Sol Campbell topical bandwagon, to highlight the vacancy to young up and coming managers.

I thought you were John Fentty?
Posted by: Alfie, February 23, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from 120790

WHS. Had Matt Dean eating out the palm of his hand. Very clever!

Kept going back to Sol in a urine-takey way knowing it’d get free advertising.
Posted by: LH, February 23, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 26
If that is indeed the plan then yes I agree it is quite a good one. There are a few ex top level pros toying with the idea of managment - Campbell, Bellamy, Gerrard and Lampard. I don’t think any of those are within our reach realistically but I am not against Town going down a similar route for the next manager. We’ve tried every other avenue haven’t we now?
Posted by: Tommy, February 23, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 27
There's more to Bellamy than what the perception of him was as a player.

I've been very impressed with him when he's been a guest/pundit on MNF on Sky and I've read his book which is an excellent read.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, February 23, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from OneLove
18 managers in total since 2004, now your telling me a young manager will want to come here with him at the helm.

dont think so counting the 2004 season we have had 11 full time managers and 4 caretaker managers,

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/club/history/GTFC_Managers/

Both Lincoln and  the Scunts have both had 11 full time managers since 2004 as well so I dont think its just a GTFC thing
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, February 23, 2018, 9:47pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Alfie

I didn't see it like that Alfie, though maybe you are right  and it could just be the cynic in me.

I felt JF was being channelled into saying something about Sol, then MD (or BBC) used it it to create a nothing headline that sounds like we are putting out a come and get it plea to Sol - as Ginny mentioned earlier.
Posted by: OneLove, February 23, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 30

dont think so counting the 2004 season we have had 11 full time managers and 4 caretaker managers,

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/club/history/GTFC_Managers/

Both Lincoln and  the Scunts have both had 11 full time managers since 2004 as well so I dont think its just a GTFC thing

Its 18 mate, thats not included robbie stockdale and moore as caretakers, anyway whatever its a lot and more than both our allies.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 23, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 31
If Sol did come we could have some interesting young players coming for a season's "hardening up" from north London?
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, February 23, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from OneLove

Its 18 mate, thats not included robbie stockdale and moore as caretakers, anyway whatever its a lot and more than both our allies.

I think we will have to agree to disagree as both the os and soccer base both have it a  few less than 18
Posted by: Garth, February 23, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 33
Campbell no thanks, he would be useless here and leave before we got relegated remember his short spell at County, no way would JF approach him and risk a public rebuke --- Worst than Slade for me
Posted by: Tommy, February 23, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from OneLove

It's 11. You can't count Caretaker Manager's.

That's if you're starting from the 03/04 season.
If you mean the 04/05 season it's 9.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 23, 2018, 11:07pm; Reply: 35
Sol Campbell on Sky Sports’ The Debate right now. Has stated he’s interested in Grimsby Town job.

Actual came across quite well.

Fenty would love him because he’s a Tory.
Posted by: Alfie, February 23, 2018, 11:11pm; Reply: 36
Thought he came across really well. Can't knock his record as a player. Has been coaching at QPR and Trinidad assistant manager.

Said he would be "definitely interested" and that he "grew up in a hard-up area, knows what it's about and would be up for the fight".

We could do worse imo.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2018, 11:16pm; Reply: 37
We wouldn't would we..........would we?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 23, 2018, 11:20pm; Reply: 38
The thing that impressed me the most was when Geoff asked him about his lack of experience at lower league level. Sol basically said “you surround yourself with the right people”.

Which thinking about it has probably been one of our biggest problems this season. A manager who has been managing at a higher level for 11 years with an assistant who’s been (apart from a short spell at Northampton) in the Championship for 17 years. A serious lack of League Two nouse?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 23, 2018, 11:24pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Alfie

You after a job?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2018, 11:25pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from GollyGTFC
The thing that impressed me the most was when Geoff asked him about his lack of experience at lower league level. Sol basically said “you surround yourself with the right people”.

Which thinking about it has probably been one of our biggest problems this season. A manager who has been managing at a higher level for 11 years with an assistant who’s been (apart from a short spell at Northampton) in the Championship for 17 years. A serious lack of League Two nouse?

Possibly. We didn't get to grips with non league until we got in a manager who knew the level.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 23, 2018, 11:25pm; Reply: 41
Appointing Sol Campbell would be a risk but wouldn't any appointment?

Judging by JF's comments, we haven't got an embarrassment of riches to choose from..

SC obviously has aimed his sights higher but now has boxed himself into a corner so if offered the job he would look stupid to turn it down..

Money is not an issue for him, it's an opportunity to prove himself that he wants..

He would have some clout in attracting players and raise the profile of the club..

Definite huge impact on attendances in the short term at the very least..

He came across quite well on The Debate..

Name one successful manager that isn't arrogant in some way..

Part of me is thinking..

Fook it JF.. get him in.. tell him Shankly started here and let's see if we enjoy the ride..

Following Town has been mundane enough for far too long..
Posted by: Alfie, February 23, 2018, 11:30pm; Reply: 42
Aren't the best managers arrogant sods?

Pep? Clough? Mourinho? Revie? Shankley? Buckley?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 23, 2018, 11:36pm; Reply: 43
Right appointment now?
That's the question. As I and many have said before, if it had been while the window was open, the quality of player could have (possibly) been improved. with the likes of Nigel reo-Coker being linked to franchise fc, are there players not contracted to clubs that sol Campbell could entice?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2018, 11:40pm; Reply: 44
If he needs to surround himself with the right people for this level, then why not just employ those people? He's never worked with players of this standard.
Posted by: LH, February 23, 2018, 11:42pm; Reply: 45
It’d be a huge gamble to take at this point. If he kept us up (we are more likely to than go down really) he would have a bare bones squad to start again with. Whilst a big name might have some pulling power do we have the financial clout available to get the signings over the line? I can’t imagine he’d come cheap himself - there was a  rumour on here about Brown wanting closer to £200kpa than the offered c£100k. Is that enough?

What a strange situation we are in now - we’ve basically asked him to apply and he’s said he’s interested. For both parties now they’re going to look daft if it doesn’t happen. If it means we get another big name CV in the door it’s worked on our part - but I can’t decide if it’s a masterstroke or a PR disaster!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 23, 2018, 11:44pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from LH
It’d be a huge gamble to take at this point. If he kept us up (we are more likely to than go down really) he would have a bare bones squad to start again with. Whilst a big name might have some pulling power do we have the financial clout available to get the signings over the line? I can’t imagine he’d come cheap himself. If the rumour on here about Brown wanting closer to £200kpa than the offered c£100k.

What a strange situation we are in now - we’ve basically asked him to apply and he’s said he’s interested. For both parties now they’re going to look daft if it doesn’t happen. If it means we get another big name CV in the door it’s worked on our part - but I can’t decide if it’s a masterstroke or a PR disaster!

Oh intercourse! Surely it can't happen.
Posted by: LH, February 23, 2018, 11:45pm; Reply: 47
Oh also: this is brilliant for getting the club in the spotlight for investors. This train of thought leads me to think that this is actually a stunt by Town - thumbs up from me if that is the case.
Posted by: Meza, February 24, 2018, 12:39am; Reply: 48
Id think he'll surprise a few people.  Been trained at top clubs by top coaches so you tend to inherit their philosophies as well as tactics etc.  I have no problem if he uses town as a stepping stone to something better just as long as he brings back some entertainment at BP.  I think he will be surprised by our great support but a club he might thinkis small.

Its whether the contract is right.  Deep down i hope he applies and gets it then the following season after survival he takes the league by storm lol.  And another black manager enters the world of football managers.

The debate incase you missed it  he's very interested in grimsby 😁 its half way through the debate.

[url]https://media.acast.com/thedebate/invinciblecity-lukaku-sservice-defensivepressure/media.mp3[/url]
Posted by: Hagrid, February 24, 2018, 6:42am; Reply: 49
Very interesting!
Posted by: Mendonca1995, February 24, 2018, 7:07am; Reply: 50
Seems quite genuine and up for a challenge but the question Grimsby town would have to ask him is why wasn’t he previously interested/apply for the vacancy earlier but states on sky sports he would be very interested ??? the problem i would have with him is maybe a lack of player knowledge in lower leagues etc but I do agree with fenty (for once) I believe we do need a young hungry manager to take us forward there are to many old experienced heads on the way down the footballing ladder for example slade,dave jones,Phil brown,martin Allen etc when you could be looking at say a Robbie Stockdale type for example Who’s came through youth/reserve teams at a bigger club in a way I’m glad we haven’t rushed things this time but we do need to start seeing some results and pretty fast Whether that’s with Wilko for now or a new manager I just hope we can get the right candidate to move us forward and play some exciting football instead of the neck breaking stuff that’s been on show this season UTM !!!!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 24, 2018, 7:47am; Reply: 51
Thing is we are just like Fenty in this respect whoever we bring in will be a massive gamble.

You just can't guarantee anyone will be successful you need a lot of luck and we don't seem to get that.

Hindsight is a marvelous thing but until it happens you just don't know, if it doesn't work we will all blame Fenty that is for sure lol.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 24, 2018, 7:49am; Reply: 52
Quoted from ginnywings
If he needs to surround himself with the right people for this level, then why not just employ those people? He's never worked with players of this standard.

He's clearly not talking about surrounding himself with other managers, he's talking about Scout, Coaches, and people who can advise him.

Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 24, 2018, 8:02am; Reply: 53
I genuinely am torn about him , one hand I think one of football's best centre backs and has football running through him with knowledge and been there done that but in the other I think absolutely not as there must be a reason he has been to 10+ job interviews and not got one.

I genuinely don't know , it's the most important appointment for us in years and we can't mess it up with no one with experience of any management but then I don't want the guy who's been sacked 20 times in his career to get the job.

So intercourse knows, if he's a excrement manager we could play him as centre back ?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 24, 2018, 8:20am; Reply: 54
Can't believe that some on here are literally torn between yes or no!
It wasn't that long ago since he was going to put his hat in the ring for Mayor of London. He is deluded and not particuarly stable in my eyes. He is a car crash waiting to happen and would potentially make any club a laughing stock.
Posted by: heppy88, February 24, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 55
Bit of a master stroke by Fenty to be honest (Can't beleive I just typed that   ??)).

Has given GTFC and the search for a new manager a much needed media boost.

Searched Google for Sol Campbell and all results include GTFC.

If he has not already applied does he REALLY want the job. Doubt it.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 24, 2018, 8:36am; Reply: 56
If you're going to go down the ex player route and their first job, then interview him but also ask Craig Bellamy down. He's a fiery illegitimate, has high standards and the same standing as Sol Campbell. If Craig doesn't get the Oxford job of course.

I'd still be weary of offering a player his first managerial position, I reckon the first job is the biggest learning curve and where the most mistakes will be made at our expense. But if we aren't getting the right sort of candidates on the managerial merry go round then I suppose it's an option.
Posted by: oldun, February 24, 2018, 9:15am; Reply: 57
Sol Campbell is about Sol Campbell. So no thank you.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 24, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 58
Quoted from chipsandgravy
It wasn't that long ago since he was going to put his hat in the ring for Mayor of London. He is deluded and not particuarly stable in my eyes. He is a car crash waiting to happen and would potentially make any club a laughing stock.

Exactly this. If John Fenty has used this situation to promote Towns cause then that's great, play Campbell at his own game because he's in it for Sol Campbell, he cannot stick to anything he promises and has no discernible management skills that I can see. This isn't a case of 'I don't like his direct style' or 'He's a decent manager but no good with fans' this is a case of him appearing to be a complete fantasist.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 24, 2018, 9:24am; Reply: 59
Big Sam got it right on talksport yesterday . When asked about what Campbell should do he said start at the bottom and learn your trade cos after a week he’ll realise it’s nothing like being a player. If he’s any good he’ll rise to the top .
Fair play to Campbell for wanting to start at the bottom. How many ex prem players can’t be arsed and just want to sit on their ars.ses after packing up .
I’d rather we give him a crack than some journeyman manager. He’s give the club , players and fans a big boost at a time when everyone’s sulking
Posted by: buckstown, February 24, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 60
When Tony Adams took his first step into management at Wycombe it was a train crash. He thought they'd be able to operate at the same level as Arsenal and the root issue was that he'd never experienced the lower leagues
Can't help thinking Sol might have the same problem, especially when he sees the players he has to deal with.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 24, 2018, 9:32am; Reply: 61
How interested is he going to be if it doesn't go well? He doesn't need to work and that worries me.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, February 24, 2018, 9:33am; Reply: 62
I'm not sure why we're conducting a policy of waiting for the right candidate to apply.  Don't most league clubs identify their targets and approach them?  Either JF is trying to make the job market competitive to increase interest among potential candidates, or he genuinely wants to appoint Sol Campbell.

We need a sensible recruitment policy.  That means looking for managers who are on form and whom we can realistically attract.  I personally wouldn't be interested in ex-Prem players/pundits unless they'd managed successfully at a lower level.  

Good to hear that we're looking for young managers, but a rookie surely isn't what we need right now.  
Posted by: Abdul19, February 24, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 63
Quoted from headingly_mariner
How interested is he going to be if it doesn't go well?

Like the time he walked out of Arsenal at half time and went to Brussels!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 24, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 64
Sol Campbell would be Bignot amplified.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 24, 2018, 9:41am; Reply: 65
Quoted from headingly_mariner
How interested is he going to be if it doesn't go well? He doesn't need to work and that worries me.

You can ask Trinidad andf Tobago. "And, on his stint as Trinidad assistant, three wins from 14 games hardly screams a side who are being coached by one of the greatest minds in football.
On March 24, 2017, Campbell proclaimed he was going to be involved in the Trinidad set-up "for the long run". Eleven months later, he is moaning that he has been unable to get a managerial job in England - if you were a chairman, would you want to appoint a man who is actively courting jobs so soon after taking one?
"

Taken from
[url]https://www.devonlive.com/sport/sport-opinion/sol-campbell-been-arsenal-tottenham-1250528[/url]
Posted by: forza ivano, February 24, 2018, 10:03am; Reply: 66
Quoted from chipsandgravy

This in spades, plus old uns comment that sol Campbell is all about sol Campbell.

No,no,no,no,no,no,no, and even more no after listening to that interview.

He's got a beautiful house near barnet, he ain't going to live here and can you really, honestly, truly believe that he's going to be going out every night to watch games n players like hurst does?
If he was that committed to getting a job he'd be applying every job, non league or league, that was going.id be surprised if he even knew there was a job going at gtfc
It maybe that fenty, in absolute desperation, has unintentionally pulled off a bit of a p.r. Coup  and will now get some applications from some candidates who have some potential, but in my eyes sol is at the bottom of the list

Ps he is so committed that he took a job coaching in trinny helping them towards the World Cup. Real, tough gig that one............don't how he coped with a 12 month working holiday in the windies
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2018, 10:57am; Reply: 67
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

He's clearly not talking about surrounding himself with other managers, he's talking about Scout, Coaches, and people who can advise him.

Yeah, i realise that. Again i ask, why not just employ somebody who doesn't need people to explain to him how lower level football works? It would be like when Bobby Charlton became manager of Preston and he expected the players to be able to do what he could do, until they explained that if they could, they wouldn't be playing for Preston.

I'm all for wealthy ex players putting money back into the game, but not as managers of lower level clubs, jumping the queue because of their wealth and profile. It just smacks of the managerial equivalent of a rich mans plaything.

Remember Edgar Davids? Took over Barnet and they were relegated to non league, where he carried on as player manager. He gave himself the Number 1 shirt, was booked and sent off a record number of times, and then decided he didn't want to manage at away games involving an overnight stay and sent his Dutch mate instead, whom he had installed as head coach.

Massive ego, no thanks.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 24, 2018, 11:04am; Reply: 68
Actually thought about it ..

No thanks .
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 24, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 69
I did not want him before I listened to that piece and I am sure he does not want to come to us,

If he was interested he would have applied,

Good bit of PR from Fenty though ( did I really say that )  ;D

It might get some other young ex pro wanting to start with us,

Whoever it is I will give him 100% backing to start with  and hope he succeeds,
Posted by: Dan, February 24, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 70
He’s married to Fiona Barrat (of Barratt homes) John’s probably thinking it’s a good in for his enabling development :)
Posted by: ackomariner, February 24, 2018, 2:58pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from grimsby pete
I did not want him before I listened to that piece and I am sure he does not want to come to us,

If he was interested he would have applied,

Good bit of PR from Fenty though ( did I really say that )  ;D

It might get some other young ex pro wanting to start with us,

Whoever it is I will give him 100% backing to start with  and hope he succeeds,

Then again they don't know what's happening north of Watford Gap... ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 25, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 72

Don't you just love the national papers trying to up a nothing story........

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sol-campbell-set-talks-become-12087958
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 25, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from promotion plaice

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sol-campbell-set-talks-become-12087958

Mentalist.............I meant Campbell not you BTW :)
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 25, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from promotion plaice

It’s brilliant PR for the club though, and it’s not a ‘nothing story’ anymore is it, every football news media outlet are discussing Grimsby Town atm.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 25, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 75
You get the impression that the media are enjoying this too much. He has backed himself into a corner and the press are not going to let him out. 'Tis good publicity mind.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 26, 2018, 11:51am; Reply: 76
Quoted from ginnywings
You get the impression that the media are enjoying this too much. He has backed himself into a corner and the press are not going to let him out. 'Tis good publicity mind.

I remember when we appointed Laws and he spieled in the press something about having new idea`s and that`s what Town needed.Que first home game it`s all going mammaries up and the Pontoon let rip with where`s your new idea`s ;D .In fairness to Laws he did sharpen things up a bit and was a good Manager for the most part here. If Campbell`s hats in the ring he should get the job but he will need broad shoulders should he get a bad start the GY crowd are not in the mood for patience and his advisors should tell him to swerve this job at all costs.
Posted by: chaos33, February 26, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 77
God I hope we don't give it to Sol Campbell.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 26, 2018, 12:15pm; Reply: 78
According to the daily mirror sol is set to become our new manager we will see
Posted by: ginnywings, February 26, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from OllieGTFC

They never do sensationalist headlines at all.
Posted by: oldun, February 26, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from OllieGTFC

If it is in the mirror it must be right then. I cannot believe Fenty would be so stupid......or would he. There would be even more of a melt down amonst the fans. Remember this is the guy who signed for Notts County and was going to do great things. After 2 weeks he decided he did not like it and went back to the comfort of his mansion.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 26, 2018, 12:23pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from oldun

If it is in the mirror it must be right then. I cannot believe Fenty would be so stupid......or would he. There would be even more of a melt down amonst the fans. Remember this is the guy who signed for Notts County and was going to do great things. After 2 weeks he decided he did not like it and went back to the comfort of his mansion.

It`s alright oldun Comedy Gold it will stick 2k on the gate for his first home match then 3k off for the following if we lose :'(
Posted by: ginnywings, February 26, 2018, 12:23pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from oldun

To become a Lord Mayor of London/Tory MP/TV Pundit/Football Manager.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 26, 2018, 12:26pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from ginnywings

To become a Lord Mayor of London/Tory MP/TV Pundit/Football Manager.

It`s been said for years BUT Sol could be just like Lawrie Mac
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 26, 2018, 12:32pm; Reply: 84
Posted by: Abdul19, February 26, 2018, 12:34pm; Reply: 85
Aren't they just regurgitating the other day's comments and giving it a misleading headline?
Posted by: forza ivano, February 26, 2018, 12:34pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from OllieGTFC

that's a couple of days old, so think it's a case of 'nothing to see here, please move along'
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 26, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 87
More like Big Mac - other fast food outlets are available!!..
Sorry but Sol is just so not for GTFC, cannot see him being committed to this club if it goes Pete Tong in his first couple of games, he pinned his colours to the mast at Notts County and once he feels that cold north wind off the humber blowing round BP he`ll be off down the M1 like a bat of hell back to the land of the soft southern shandy drinkers!!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 26, 2018, 12:36pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Abdul19
Aren't they just regurgitating the other day's comments and giving it a misleading headline?

Yep. It's not even that misleading really. All candidates that are given an interview are having talks to be the next Grimsby manager. Doesn't mean they will get the job.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 26, 2018, 12:52pm; Reply: 89
It misled one person ;)

(And I doubt he was ever planning on having any talks)
Posted by: Garth, February 26, 2018, 12:56pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Big Sam got it right on talksport yesterday . When asked about what Campbell should do he said start at the bottom and learn your trade cos after a week he’ll realise it’s nothing like being a player. If he’s any good he’ll rise to the top .
Fair play to Campbell for wanting to start at the bottom. How many ex prem players can’t be arsed and just want to sit on their ars.ses after packing up .
I’d rather we give him a crack than some journeyman manager. He’s give the club , players and fans a big boost at a time when everyone’s sulking

Behave! he will make us a right laughing stock ;D
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), February 26, 2018, 2:15pm; Reply: 91
Sol Campbell,   no no no  ffs no. a name and that is all. ??)
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 27, 2018, 10:00am; Reply: 92
Apparently his repersentives are talking to town
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 27, 2018, 10:05am; Reply: 93
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Apparently his repersentives are talking to town

That's ok then by the time he ventures to Grimsby himself we would have appointed our new man, :)
Posted by: StickfordMariner, February 27, 2018, 10:25am; Reply: 94
Well that shows a lack of ambition if he wanted it that much he would drive to Grimsby and see the board face to face not get other people to ask questions on his behalf.....just sums the bloke up to me
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 27, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 95
The Daily Mail online states that his representatives are speaking to our chairman, has Fenty promoted himself now the national press are around?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 27, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 96
Lord o Lord please let this madness stop. Campbell is the modern day David Icke. We have one deluded fantasist on board don't won't two.
Posted by: Maringer, February 27, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 97
Quoted from StickfordMariner
Well that shows a lack of ambition if he wanted it that much he would drive to Grimsby and see the board face to face not get other people to ask questions on his behalf.....just sums the bloke up to me

Travel this far north of Watford Gap himself? Are you mad?!?
Posted by: GrimRob, February 27, 2018, 11:50am; Reply: 98
It's in the Daily Mail so it must be true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5437629/Sol-Campbell-talks-manager-Grimsby.html
Posted by: OneLove, February 27, 2018, 11:53am; Reply: 99
Never judge a book as they say, he might do a sterling job here and distract away all the gloom thats clung to the club at the minute.  Bring him in I say! Sulzeers Black & White army
Posted by: Abdul19, February 27, 2018, 11:58am; Reply: 100
'It's all about the middle people, the middle men.

'There's some type of dialogue and hopefully that can progress. The first thing I knew about it was when I was on Sky (on Friday night), and I'm all ears.

'I'm willing to listen. I'm up for a conversation, I really am.'

He wants to be a manager but the first he knew about a managerial vacancy was 12 days after a manager was sacked?!

"Middle people" sounds like vague nonsense he's made up to hide the fact he has no desire to manage a 'difficult' club - remember, he doesn't want one of those! He's been backed into a corner and is probably eagerly awaiting our appointment of someone else (so he can then moan about it)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 27, 2018, 12:09pm; Reply: 101
Yeah, most of that article was him moaning about England not tapping into his vast coaching knowledge. Grimsby seemed a side issue.

Part of me wants us to offer him the job to see him squirm.
Posted by: chaos33, February 27, 2018, 12:23pm; Reply: 102
God no. If we offer him the job, I'm out of here...
Posted by: nightrider, February 27, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 103
This prat should be on Celebrity Big Brother/Love Island/Manager of a kitchen showroom, not manager of a football league club
Posted by: psgmariner, February 27, 2018, 12:33pm; Reply: 104
Bentley Flying Spur.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 27, 2018, 12:47pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from ginnywings
Yeah, most of that article was him moaning about England not tapping into his vast coaching knowledge. Grimsby seemed a side issue.

Part of me wants us to offer him the job to see him squirm.

I wasn't being entirely serious here.  ;)
Posted by: davmariner, February 27, 2018, 12:53pm; Reply: 106
Sol Campbell is a strange/delusional man and I don’t think he’d be a particularly stable appointment for the long term. Does anyone remember the Notts County fiasco? Played one game and then left.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 27, 2018, 1:07pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from davmariner
Sol Campbell is a strange/delusional man and I don’t think he’d be a particularly stable appointment for the long term. Does anyone remember the Notts County fiasco? Played one game and then left.

Smacks of the Edgar Davids, " I won't travel and manage the team away from home if it involves an overnight stay" scenario.

Up North in League 2 is not what Sol Campbell had in mind, i'm sure. He can't now turn us down without at least going through the motions and his "advisers" will be frantically trying to engineer an exit strategy that doesn't damage him. I hope so anyway.  The fact that he has advisers means we should give him a very wide swerve.
Posted by: limerickfan, February 27, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 108
I would not cry if Cambell was given the job till the end of season, if we stay up, give him a longer contract, cant loose,as who ever comes in has a hell of a job to keep us up the way things are
Posted by: RoboCod, February 27, 2018, 1:11pm; Reply: 109
He still hasn't applied FFS, just talking bollox about middle men.

"I’m willing to talk and hopefully conversations with people in the middle can progress so that I can actually speak face-to-face.”

He's willing to talk, but with preset condtions. ie not really willing.
Use his name to promote the vacancy, then take on a normal human being for the role then declare that we did our bit but Sol seemed unwilling to do the same.
He'll then declare he 's decided to become an Olympic Bobsleigh champion.

Posted by: oldun, February 27, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 110
He will end up on "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" and would say the same if he became a manager here.
Posted by: Croxton, February 27, 2018, 2:01pm; Reply: 111
This whole process is like an excruciating episode of Celebrity Embarrassing Bodies Reality Guff.
Virtually Non Footy.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 27, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 112
according to someone on facebook they met him coming to gy on the train from York

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155079868625855&set=p.10155079868625855&type=3&theater&ifg=1
Posted by: Mariner56, February 27, 2018, 5:58pm; Reply: 113
I also heard he was spotted in town this afternoon. Guy talking to his mate on the bus said that he came into his shop. Could be garbage but that’s what he said.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 27, 2018, 6:07pm; Reply: 114
That photo won't load
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 27, 2018, 6:44pm; Reply: 115
I am on the fence regards Sol's appointment, our last manager was somebody who was classed as experienced but, if Sol is appointed from the comments on the Fishy I am concerned that he would not be given a fair crack of the whip. Surely we need to give him a chance you never know he may surprise us.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 27, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 116
Give me jolley over Campbell any day
Posted by: ginnywings, February 27, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from forza ivano
according to someone on facebook they met him coming to gy on the train from York

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155079868625855&set=p.10155079868625855&type=3&theater&ifg=1

If he was heading from his Northumberland pile, then yes, could be true. If he was heading from London, he would have changed at Donny.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 27, 2018, 7:00pm; Reply: 118
My worry is that our board had their attention turned to Campbell because he'd do it for free :-/

Still. I'd like to know what the conditions need to be for him to start his career in the lower leagues, or the 'gutter' as he sees it.
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 27, 2018, 8:18pm; Reply: 119
Campbell would certaonly not be free. Huge wage demands...
Posted by: bawarmy, February 27, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 120
Not read all the replies to this post so apologies if already mentioned but I remember after a bad performance for Arsenal once in 2006 he went missing for about a week which caused concern about his state of mind.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 27, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from bawarmy
Not read all the replies to this post so apologies if already mentioned but I remember after a bad performance for Arsenal once in 2006 he went missing for about a week which caused concern about his state of mind.

Wish some of our current squad would go missing after their continuous bad performances!!!
Posted by: bawarmy, February 27, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 122
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1509593/Missing-Sol-is-urged-to-get-in-touch.html
Found it
Posted by: sydney, February 27, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 123
Can we splash out on a proven manager (not Campbell please)
Just to keep us up
It will cost a lot lot more to go down
Come on Town!!
Posted by: bawarmy, February 27, 2018, 8:42pm; Reply: 124
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/non-league/269164/non-league-billericay-owner-glenn-tamplin-reinstates-glenn-tamplin-as-manager-two-days-after-sacking-glenn-tamplin.html

What about this man
Posted by: RoboCod, February 27, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Will Haddock
Campbell would certaonly not be free. Huge wage demands...

Not what he said just a few months back. But what he says one day hardly has a bearing on what he'll say the next.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 27, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 126
Campbell to Mansfield. Bentley scale 3
Posted by: earwigo, February 28, 2018, 11:30am; Reply: 127
Please no to Sol Campbell
Posted by: psgmariner, February 28, 2018, 11:46am; Reply: 128
A massive NO from me.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 28, 2018, 12:07pm; Reply: 129
Get the feeling Fenty is doing all this for publicity, and will see Grimsby all over the newspapers with Campbell in charge.

Like Salford with Neville etc as owners...

Unwanted publicity that is!
Posted by: Dan, February 28, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from bawarmy

If we're dropping down to Isthmian league level, Gavin Rose at Dulwich Hamlet is doing incredible things on no budget. His aspire academy takes youth players who have been dropped by the bigger London clubs, and gives them a second chance at football. Notable successes include Erhun Otzumer, now at Walsall and this year Reise Allassani is making waves and attracting offers from above :)

The standard of football is actually very good, played on the ground and better to watch than town this season.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, February 28, 2018, 12:47pm; Reply: 131
Sol Campbell worries me - would be a worse than Newell appointment. But Fenty is a Tory and so is Campbell so it could be possible.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 2, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 132
Sol Campbell confirms he has been interviewed for the job and is now awaiting a decision.

Taken from the telegraph this morning.

Sol Campbell has given an update on his application for the Grimsby Town job.

Speaking at the London Football Awards last night, the former Arsenal defender confirmed he had spoken to the club about the vacant managerial position - now he’s waiting to see if he’s been successful.

“It’s up to them now,” Campbell said. “They are probably talking to other people, naturally.

“And if they give it to me, I’ll be ecstatic; if they give it to someone (else) I’ll be over the moon.

“Good luck to whoever gets it but I have to keep on going, that’s all you can do really.

“I’ve spoken to Oxford and spoken to Grimsby Town so I’m going to see what happens.”
Posted by: psgmariner, March 2, 2018, 12:48pm; Reply: 133
He's odd.
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 2, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 134
If he gets it I think it'll be a roller coaster of a ride for him, the club and the fans. Think the culture of Grimsby and it's environs might be more than slightly alien to him, but if he's prepared to roll up his sleeves and do a job he'll hopefully be as capable as any other applicant.

Just imagine the following scenario. Less than two months into the job, big falling out between him and JF, and Sol buys the club out of the spare change in his pocket, and gets the chance to do something remarkable......and does it. His stock rises - and he must see Grimsby as a stepping stone - we keep ourselves in the Football League and we maybe get a decent team for next season to play out Sol's vision.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 2, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from jock dock tower
If he gets it I think it'll be a roller coaster of a ride for him, the club and the fans. Think the culture of Grimsby and it's environs might be more than slightly alien to him, but if he's prepared to roll up his sleeves and do a job he'll hopefully be as capable as any other applicant.

Just imagine the following scenario. Less than two months into the job, big falling out between him and JF, and Sol buys the club out of the spare change in his pocket, and gets the chance to do something remarkable......and does it. His stock rises - and he must see Grimsby as a stepping stone - we keep ourselves in the Football League and we maybe get a decent team for next season to play out Sol's vision.

Whatever you are smoking, i will have some please....talk about optimism...you`re glass isn`t half full, it is positively brimming over..
Cannot see Campbell coming this far north of the Watford gap, what he has done is clever if not a little back handed,
I am sure, even if offered the job he will turn it down with some excuse how it "just wasn`t quite the role" for him, but what it has given him is the air time to put his face out there in an ever increasing market place as clubs sack their under performing managers before the end of the season!
Posted by: ginnywings, March 2, 2018, 1:04pm; Reply: 136
Think that's Carlsberg rather than Sol.  ;)
Posted by: chaos33, March 2, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 137
Seriously, what boxes does Campbell tick?
Any? Compare him to some other linked names, especially someone like Jolley with a top coaching qualification, extensive experience, player connections, an articulate, knowledgeable presentation style  etc and it's ludicrous that we even bothered to interview him. Campbell wouldn't have made my short list.
If he is appointed I will be apoplectic. What in earth is the club faffing about at?!?!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 2, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from chaos33
Seriously, what boxes does Campbell tick?
Any? Compare him to some other linked names, especially someone like Jolley with a top coaching qualification, extensive experience, player connections, an articulate, knowledgeable presentation style  etc and it's ludicrous that we even bothered to interview him. Campbell wouldn't have made my short list.
If he is appointed I will be apoplectic. What in earth is the club faffing about at?!?!

At the moment we're (possibly) using him and his name to promote our managers job. He's (hopefully) using us and our job to get his name out there.
All harmless fun.

If this is not the case and he ends up here then I'll be signing up to A.A (Apoplectics Anonymous) with you.
Posted by: chaos33, March 2, 2018, 2:51pm; Reply: 139
Yes that did occur to me. You better be right!
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 2, 2018, 3:00pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from Gaffer58

Wish some of our current squad would go missing after their continuous bad performances!!!

Quite a few of them have been missing over the last few games!
Posted by: oldun, March 2, 2018, 3:46pm; Reply: 141
The man talks rubbish. He recently said of football management. "How hard can it be? It is not rocket science is it?""
I hope we never see him in charge of our team. He can come and do an after dinner talk to raise some money for us if he likes. That would be entertaining.
Posted by: RichMariner, March 2, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 142
Sol Campbell is too detached from the reality of fourth division football in the north. If he’d had a few years’ coaching experience at an academy or managed another club then I’d feel better about it.

But what we need now is someone who has all the qualities you expect a competent manager to have AND an ability to create and build on a philosophy that will survive for years to come (preferably incorporating the local community) so we can start believing in some of our players again.

I have serious reservations that Sol can do any of that.
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 2, 2018, 4:23pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from oldun
The man talks rubbish. He recently said of football management. "How hard can it be? It is not rocket science is it?""
I hope we never see him in charge of our team. He can come and do an after dinner talk to raise some money for us if he likes. That would be entertaining.

How hard is it though, really?

Motivate your players.

Keep free from injuries that would accrue under poor training techniques.

Win games from the type of football you, as a manager, wnat to see played.

As far as I can see it's not that difficult. I reckon I could have Manchester City where they are at the moment given everything at their disposal. All you need to do to the above scenario is add "buy the best players in the world"

Although, to be fair, Slade never seemed to get to grips with it. ;)

Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 2, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

“It’s up to them now,” Campbell said. “They are probably talking to other people, naturally.

“And if they give it to me, I’ll be ecstatic; if they give it to someone (else) I’ll be over the moon.

I don't understand this bit, he'd be over the moon if he didn't get the job? Is this a direct quote?
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 2, 2018, 5:10pm; Reply: 145
Can the man manage Grimsby from London ?

Because there is no way he will move to Grimsby.
Posted by: oldun, March 2, 2018, 5:16pm; Reply: 146
Is it April the first already?
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from grimsby pete
Can the man manage Grimsby from London ?

Because there is no way he will move to Grimsby.

Have you spoken to him, then?

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 2, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from 75

I don't understand this bit, he'd be over the moon if he didn't get the job? Is this a direct quote?

I didn't understand that bit either BP! I can only assume he means he'd be over the moon for whoever got it. It is a weird quote though.

I took it directly from the telegraph website so kay have been lost in translation somehow.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 2, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from GrimRob

Have you spoken to him, then?

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain

Who's Muhammed and what are his coaching credentials? Has he has success at this level?
Posted by: penrith mariner, March 2, 2018, 5:42pm; Reply: 150
Hmmmm Muhammed.. ..Bentley scale 5
Posted by: Maringer, March 2, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 151
I've always thought that what this club really needs is a 7th century warlord. Not sure hotdogs could stay on the menu but we'd conquer the rest of Lincolnshire very quickly.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 2, 2018, 6:52pm; Reply: 152
I wonder if he is still waiting for a reply  ;D ;D ;D
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 4:02pm