Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bentley, February 19, 2018, 10:56pm
No chance it being askey or Wilkinson Mr fenty is daft but not stupid good appointment in my opinion. My source 100%

Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2018, 10:58pm; Reply: 1
Well, you've nailed your colours to the mast there Bentley. Let's hope you are right.
Posted by: davmariner, February 19, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 2
I heard this as well, that it’ll be Phil Brown and not Askey.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 19, 2018, 11:02pm; Reply: 3

I'd be happy with that if true.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 19, 2018, 11:07pm; Reply: 4
I'd rather have had Askey. Hopefully he's not Slade Mk 2.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 19, 2018, 11:09pm; Reply: 5
I'd be happy with this til the end of the season. Could be the sort of character to breathe a bit of life into this squad.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 19, 2018, 11:10pm; Reply: 6
Do for me.
Said before, he doesn't come across as a yes man.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2018, 11:11pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Abdul19
I'd be happy with this til the end of the season. Could be the sort of character to breathe a bit of life into this squad.

Yeah. Not sure how good he'd be in non league if the unthinkable happened, but if he can't steer us clear from the position we are now in, he aint the man for the job anyway.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 19, 2018, 11:11pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Bentley
No chance it being askey or Wilkinson Mr fenty is daft but not stupid good appointment in my opinion. My source 100%

Did your source also know if he would keep us up   ;D

Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 19, 2018, 11:12pm; Reply: 9
I'd have mixed feelings if true. On the one hand he has promotions, is a former Premier League manager and has lots of contacts. He is a relatively big name and is well known and has been successful.

On the other hand, his permanent tan is ridiculous, he's the former Hull manager but I'd let that go, worryingly I hear he had Jeremy Kyle give a team talk before a game? And played seven defenders in a cup final.

For what's out there, he would be a coup I would have thought, despite my second paragraph the more I type, the happier I think I would be with this appointment.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 19, 2018, 11:14pm; Reply: 10
So we sack Slade and then appoint an orange Slade, yep great choice.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2018, 11:14pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from 75
I'd have mixed feelings if true. On the one hand he has promotions, is a former Premier League manager and has lots of contacts. He is a relatively big name and is well known and has been successful.

On the other hand, his permanent tan is ridiculous, he's the former Hull manager but I'd let that go, worryingly I hear he had Jeremy Kyle give a team talk before a game? And played seven defenders in a cup final.

For what's out there, he would be a coup I would have thought, despite my second paragraph the more I type, the happier I think I would be with this appointment.

Keep on typing then, we may be in the play offs by the time you get to the end of your piece.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 19, 2018, 11:14pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah. Not sure how good he'd be in non league if the unthinkable happened, but if he can't steer us clear from the position we are now in, he aint the man for the job anyway.

To be fair it's a big gamble for him. He's had 5 years in his last job and a couple of promotions in his career.  Hopefully he can steady the ship If he gets it.

Also I had a little money on him early doors  8)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 13
So we sack Slade and then appoint an orange Slade, yep great choice.

Is his record not better than Slade's, and more recent to boot?
Posted by: LH, February 19, 2018, 11:20pm; Reply: 14
Mixed feelings about this if true. I’m a bit more hopeful about staying up if so though as I don’t think PW would have managed it with the same style as Slade. Whoever it is we need to get behind them on Saturday - cheap tickets so no excuse to get down there and get behind the team.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 19, 2018, 11:28pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings

Keep on typing then, we may be in the play offs by the time you get to the end of your piece.

Haha, I'm thinking the top three is doable with orange Phil at the helm.  :) :) :)
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 19, 2018, 11:33pm; Reply: 16
Almost forgot he signed that massive shitlark Nile Ranger, that's unforgivable. Absolute cockwomble that lad is.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 19, 2018, 11:38pm; Reply: 17
I don't know bentley's track record on inside info so will take this with a pinch of salt for now. Certainly not an appointment I would oppose
Posted by: forza ivano, February 19, 2018, 11:41pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Bentley

If only it'd been someone other than Bentley who revealed this news, id possibly be inclined to believe him :)
:)
If it is brown I won't be unhappy. I'd love to know what shrews fans thought they were getting when they read the thoughts of a number of town fans, and that hasn't worked out too badly.
Playing 7 defenders might be the only way for us to keep a clean sheet!
Ps wasn't Nile ranger released from his contract, so would be available to sign? :-/
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 19, 2018, 11:41pm; Reply: 19
Listened to him recently on RH talking to DB, came over really well, decent talker and would be a big coup for the club.

Seemed happy to accept difficult questions without getting the hump unlike PH and RS.
Posted by: hheh2, February 19, 2018, 11:43pm; Reply: 20
If Brown signs or whoever who will be the assistant?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2018, 11:44pm; Reply: 21
We are worried about Nile Ranger? Have you seen our strikers?
Posted by: forza ivano, February 19, 2018, 11:48pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings
We are worried about Nile Ranger? Have you seen our strikers?

Lol. Certain posters getting a bit 'snowflakey' re ranger. Conlon, gunning, Scott brown and Mickey halsall way back were cut from similar cloth , and I'm sure there's more to add to that list.
Ps can anyone dig out his Southend managerial stats up to the end of last season, coz I think they might be pretty decent?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 19, 2018, 11:48pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from hheh2
If Brown signs or whoever who will be the assistant?

Sorry to say but I hope it's not Wilko........we need a full clear out of a failed project.

Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 19, 2018, 11:51pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from forza ivano

Lol. Certain posters getting a bit 'snowflakey' re ranger. Conlon, gunning, Scott brown and Mickey halsall way back were cut from similar cloth , and I'm sure there's more to add to that list.
Ps can anyone dig out his Southend managerial stats up to the end of last season, coz I think they might be pretty decent?

P251      
W98      
D65      
L88

Win rate of 39 percent, that includes this season as well mind.
Posted by: Chips44, February 19, 2018, 11:53pm; Reply: 25
With regard to Nile Ranger , according to teletext he could be on the way to Notts County.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 19, 2018, 11:59pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Chips44
With regard to Nile Ranger , according to teletext he could be on the way to Notts County.

Newcastle connection, so makes sense.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 20, 2018, 12:21am; Reply: 27
Quoted from 75

P251      
W98      
D65      
L88

Win rate of 39 percent, that includes this season as well mind.

Yeah, id seen that vicar, which is what made we wonder what it was until this season, which was his least successful for years
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, February 20, 2018, 12:26am; Reply: 28
Browns Assistant at Hull, Preston and Southend was Brian Horton who was the Manchester City manager from 1993 to 1995 just prior to their nineties demise. Some say Horton going led to their 4 year exile from the Premier League. Horton also managed Hull, Oxford, Huddersfield, Brighton, Port Vale, Oxford and Macclesfield but in recent years has tended to be an Assistant. I would be very surprised if he doesn’t join if Brown is named
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 12:33am; Reply: 29
According to Wiki, Brown is a qualified electrician who did some electrical work at Southend's ground. I expect to see PB in overalls, carrying a tool box on his off days. Those floodlight bulbs don't change themselves, and the Tannoy system needs an overhaul.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 20, 2018, 12:36am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Browns Assistant at Hull, Preston and Southend was Brian Horton who was the Manchester City manager from 1993 to 1995 just prior to their nineties demise. Some say Horton going led to their 4 year exile from the Premier League. Horton also managed Hull, Oxford, Huddersfield, Brighton, Port Vale, Oxford and Macclesfield but in recent years has tended to be an Assistant. I would be very surprised if he doesn’t join if Brown is named

As much as I like it......unfortunately this scenario wouldn't be cheap and JF only does cheap   :-/

Posted by: Will Haddock, February 20, 2018, 12:41am; Reply: 31
Wonder if the team will run out to Sloop John B?

He might be able to get Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink up front as a free agent! ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 12:53am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Will Haddock
Wonder if the team will run out to Sloop John B?

He might be able to get Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink up front as a free agent! ;D

Jan Vennegoor of Hessle rerd.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 20, 2018, 2:50am; Reply: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Is his record not better than Slade's, and more recent to boot?

He's got two promotions. He still plays the same boring hoof ball we've just had to endure under Slade, we aren't going to see any change if we employ him.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 20, 2018, 3:23am; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano
Yeah, id seen that vicar, which is what made we wonder what it was until this season, which was his least successful for years

41.28% if my calculations are correct.

Southend have won four, and drawn the other, from the five League games since PB took gardening leave (!).

My view: we need someone who can make an IMPACT....he's a decent call, if true.

Whilst noting the promotions on his CV, of greater significance was his saving the Taagers from relegation.  :-/
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 20, 2018, 4:11am; Reply: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
According to Wiki, Brown is a qualified electrician who did some electrical work at Southend's ground. I expect to see PB in overalls, carrying a tool box on his off days. Those floodlight bulbs don't change themselves, and the Tannoy system needs an overhaul.

Yes,......but I'd like to think even Fenty will ask him to make avoiding relegation his top priority.

"You can start on the electrics once we're safe, Phil...."   ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, February 20, 2018, 6:04am; Reply: 36
Phil Brown comes across as quite a fiery character. We know from previous experiences (Mike Newell, Rob Scott, etc) that Fenty can’t handle them.

Mixed feelings if true. Think he could keep us up but the jury’s out on whether he’s the man to rebuild us.

Not sure what his track record is like in terms of working within a budget, bringing young players through, developing talent and selling on, etc.

All of this is important if we’re going to avoid another repeat of this season.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 20, 2018, 6:29am; Reply: 37
All I can say is it would be a much better appointment than Wilkinson.

Would get the fans back and a fresh voice is what we need so thumbs up from me .
Posted by: Cloudy, February 20, 2018, 6:46am; Reply: 38
Mixed feelings like many. I can live with the permatan but it will be the end of my dream of a young athletic side built upon both our own, and released youths from Prem or Championship.

I bet Davies, Clarke and Collins will be pleased
Posted by: Davec, February 20, 2018, 7:00am; Reply: 39
What time are we expecting an announcement
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 20, 2018, 7:08am; Reply: 40
If this is true then I would still keep Wilko as backroom staff could show the strikers how to score
Posted by: GrimRob, February 20, 2018, 7:10am; Reply: 41
Personally I'd go for a younger manager on his way up. Brown is even older than slade.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 20, 2018, 7:10am; Reply: 42
I know not a lot of people like the fact he signed Ranger however, I'd argue that he has more chance of scoring a goal at BP from inside Strangeways than any of our flipping strikers do on a Saturday.
Posted by: TAGG, February 20, 2018, 7:10am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Bentley

I beg to differ where managerial appointments are concerned.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 20, 2018, 7:11am; Reply: 44
Quoted from OllieGTFC
If this is true then I would still keep Wilko as backroom staff could show the strikers how to score

Well it hasn't exactly worked so far this season.
Posted by: Alfie, February 20, 2018, 7:23am; Reply: 45
Brown is still on holiday. Hasn’t applied and hasn’t been interviewed.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 20, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 46
He's been spotted in Cleethorpes, and he's on holiday? These two things don't add up surely, not in Phil Browns world.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 20, 2018, 7:42am; Reply: 47
Quoted from 75

Thing is he got to the cup final but I’d be surprised if it’s him
Posted by: Tommy, February 20, 2018, 7:48am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Alfie

Quoted from RoboCod
He's been spotted in Cleethorpes, and he's on holiday? These two things don't add up surely, not in Phil Browns world.

Maybe he's on holiday in Cleethorpes? ;)
Posted by: denni266, February 20, 2018, 7:49am; Reply: 49
With our luck it will be Mrs Brown  ;)
Posted by: buckstown, February 20, 2018, 7:54am; Reply: 50
The future's bright, the future's orange
Posted by: RoboCod, February 20, 2018, 7:54am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Tommy

Maybe he's on holiday in Cleethorpes? ;)

I can't see him and his tan booking into Meggies in February though...unless it's a brief adjustment period (Bingo/Chips/Donkey ride) in preparation for the Town job(confused1)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 20, 2018, 7:55am; Reply: 52
God I hope not :'(
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 20, 2018, 8:02am; Reply: 53
Out of the options out of work he fits the bill , fenty doesn’t have to raid Boston again or pay any compo and Macclesfield are flying so that’s a strange one ...as anyone even been interviewed ? Or is it the uninspiring Wilkinson’s job all along  ??)
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 20, 2018, 8:24am; Reply: 54
If its Wilko, Fenty will have lost any credibility he might still have and the wrath of fans will be heaped on everyone connected with the club.

Does not bear thinking about.
Posted by: topuphere666, February 20, 2018, 9:01am; Reply: 55
There are worse candidates being bounced around, he has a relatively good CV, yes there are relegations on there but let’s not forget they were premier league/championship yo-yo clubs.

He will most certainly have some contacts from his time in the game and appears to be the kinda guy who can motivate a team. I just hope he hasn’t been out of it too long.

Plus during preseason he’ll be keen to get the players down the beach to top his tan up.

I’d be happy with him or Askey to be honest.
Posted by: Garth, February 20, 2018, 9:04am; Reply: 56
Some good away days coming, fake tans in the stands or is it fake news, someone at the club knows as its all cut and dried, could Bentley be the mole?
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 20, 2018, 9:09am; Reply: 57
Quoted from topuphere666
There are worse candidates being bounced around, he has a relatively good CV, yes there are relegations on there but let’s not forget they were premier league/championship yo-yo clubs.

He will most certainly have some contacts from his time in the game and appears to be the kinda guy who can motivate a team. I just hope he hasn’t been out of it too long.

Plus during preseason he’ll be keen to get the players down the beach to top his tan up.

I’d be happy with him or Askey to be honest.

He only left Southend last month!
Posted by: topuphere666, February 20, 2018, 9:10am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Les Brechin

He only left Southend last month!

Jesus, i thought it was longer!

In which case he’ll be alright haha!
Posted by: Rick12, February 20, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 59
If Brown is the manager I will be quite impressed and surprised at this signing.A lot of that stems from his time at Hull though
Posted by: wigworld, February 20, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 60
Quoted from denni266
With our luck it will be Mrs Brown  ;)

Then the team could run onto the pitch to the music from Mrs Brown's Boys.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJjVzuAG-I[/url]

Posted by: barrattstandman, February 20, 2018, 9:34am; Reply: 61
Don’t you think this fake tan business is getting racial, after all the Black and White Minstrels had to stop cos it was racial
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 20, 2018, 9:48am; Reply: 62
FFS, someone posts a rumour and it's now almost a done deal!
Posted by: ivanosandwich, February 20, 2018, 9:50am; Reply: 63
If it's Brown, then it probably is a bit of a coup given his CV.

I don't think he will be here long though.

He will either "do a Slade" and get the sack or keep us up but at the first sniff of what he considers to be a more attractive job, I reckon he'll be off.

I would take him keeping us up right now but get the feeling he is only accepting this job as a stop gap until he gets back to where he thinks he belongs.
Posted by: Rick12, February 20, 2018, 9:56am; Reply: 64
Quoted from ivanosandwich

He will either "do a Slade" and get the sack or keep us up but at the first sniff of what he considers to be a more attractive job, I reckon he'll be off.

I would take him keeping us up right now but get the feeling he is only accepting this job as a stop gap until he gets back to where he thinks he belongs.
But this is still a decent traditional club with a good past even if the business side of things has left us in the wings of more illustrious names higher up the divisions .
Posted by: Abdul19, February 20, 2018, 10:21am; Reply: 65
Quoted from ivanosandwich

Agreed, I'd be happy with him taking a deal til the end of the season. I'm not arsed about his contacts or his past promotions, that stuff doesn't matter now.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 20, 2018, 10:45am; Reply: 66
Quoted from wigworld

Then the team could run onto the pitch to the music from Mrs Brown's Boys.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJjVzuAG-I[/url]

Or alternatively we could sit and stick knitting needles in our ears  ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, February 20, 2018, 11:10am; Reply: 67
Frankly I am past caring who Fenty appoints, just do it today (no doubt the decision will be another wrong one as it has been taken in a hurry - there is no chance we will be relegated I don't know what all the panic is about, Wilko until the end of the season would be fine IMO)

The endless excrement, stupid suggestions, sightings and speculation about the new man is 10 times worse than all the 'Slade must go' stuff - at least 99% agreed with that

If you must do it John do it now and we can all argue and complain about it for a week or so as that is no doubt going to happen.

We can then either celebrate as the new man puts a decent run together or start another 'the new man must go his football is shite and we are going to be relegated' thread

Please God let it all end (at least for a while)
Posted by: Ipswin, February 20, 2018, 11:12am; Reply: 68
Quoted from barrattstandman
Don’t you think this fake tan business is getting racial, after all the Black and White Minstrels had to stop cos it was racial

Careful, don't make any  remark intended to be even slightly humorous about racism or you will be pilloried by the PR brigade
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 20, 2018, 11:15am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Ipswin
Frankly I am past caring who Fenty appoints, just do it today (no doubt the decision will be another wrong one as it has been taken in a hurry - there is no chance we will be relegated I don't know what all the panic is about, Wilko until the end of the season would be fine IMO)

The endless excrement, stupid suggestions, sightings and speculation about the new man is 10 times worse than all the 'Slade must go' stuff - at least 99% agreed with that

If you must do it John do it now and we can all argue and complain about it for a week or so as that is no doubt going to happen.

We can then either celebrate as the new man puts a decent run together or start another 'the new man must go his football is shite and we are going to be relegated' thread

Please God let it all end (at least for a while)

We concede 3 times most games nowadays mostly without reply, I still think relegation is a big threat or are Barnet and chesterfield that bad ?
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 20, 2018, 11:15am; Reply: 70
Telewag reporting a story from the weekend about David Healy...

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/linfield-chairman-denies-reports-suggesting-1237042

Rumour has to have come from somewhere - gives us hope that the club are making approaches to employed managers.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 20, 2018, 11:20am; Reply: 71
Matt Dean has tweeted

An update on #gtfc’s search for a new boss coming up shortly via @mikewhitesport
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 72
Having slept on it, i'm hoping it isn't Brown. I really think we need to go down a different route form the "old lag" type of manager. He will sign aging league players, with the reasoning being that they have played at a higher level and will comfortably handle League 2.

We need young, dynamic, forward thinking management and players i think. Someone who knows the best players in the lower tiers and can bring in another Bogle, Pearson etc. I was thinking last night that given our position, Brown is about the best we could hope for given his experience. This morning, it dawned on me that i thought the very same thing when we got Slade and i was trying to convince myself that it would turn out OK.

The club is stuck in a rut and needs a shake up, but i fear they are going for more of the same.
Posted by: GyMariner, February 20, 2018, 11:23am; Reply: 73
Update from mike white on twitter: brown has declined our offer
Posted by: Ipswin, February 20, 2018, 11:24am; Reply: 74
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

We concede 3 times most games nowadays mostly without reply, I still think relegation is a big threat or are Barnet and chesterfield that bad ?

I think they are worse than us although Chesterfield will give us a game (Barnet are already copulated) and also I just don't see the team turning out Saturday's absolute shite for every game left this season, they are bound to have a decent performance once or twice and get the odd goal here and there. The gap is sufficient to keep us up, the old adage 'rather have the points than games in hand' applies here

Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 20, 2018, 11:24am; Reply: 75
Put this thread to bed he has turned us down ahah shocker
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 20, 2018, 11:24am; Reply: 76

Mike White

@mikewhitesport

2 minutes ago

Understand former Hull City boss Phil Brown has turned down the chance to become the next manager of Grimsby Town. Told he was offered the position but has opted not to take it up. #gtfc
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, February 20, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 77
[tweet]965909502703931392[/tweet]
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 78
Quoted from GyMariner
Update from mike white on twitter: brown has declined our offer

Wasn't expecting that to be honest. We were after him and he said no. Hmm!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 20, 2018, 11:27am; Reply: 79
Clearly knows we are in the s**t and doesn’t want to work with the board well I say the board I mean Fenty  😂
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 80
Does this mean that we have been left with egg on our face and there will not be an appointment today?
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 20, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 81
Relieved, agree with Ginnywings that he's not progressive enough.

What do people think of the David Healy story?
Granted, Linfield are his home town club, he's been there a few years and may feel there's more to be done, but surely a move to the football league and a chance to make a name for himself would be attractive?

All rumours have been denied, but they usually are until an announcement is made...
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 82
Quoted from Will Haddock

Granted, Linfield are his home town club, he's been there a few years and may feel there's more to be done, but surely a move to the football league and a chance to make a name for himself would be attractive?

All rumours have been denied, but they usually are until an announcement is made...

They did want Brown though, so that doesn't fill me with hope about the direction we are going.
Posted by: Henryscat, February 20, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 83
He's going to Fleetwood
Posted by: Ipswin, February 20, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 84
Quoted from ginnywings

Wasn't expecting that to be honest. We were after him and he said no. Hmm!

Really?

He's only been out of work for a few weeks.
GTFC is hardly a fantastic prospect and the money offered was probably crap for what was expected .
Chances are he thought Fenty was an idiot.
His missus has probably had her fill of second rate seaside resorts over the last five years or so
He must surely have his sights set higher than BP
Our pier is excrement compared to Southend

Problem is it makes whoever gets it second choice (or maybe even third or fourth depending on who else tells us to intercourse off)

Sums this club up in the eyes of the football world I think - look out for some totally unknown from the Ryman league to come in on £25 a week
Posted by: Davec, February 20, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 85
I can see it now, our 2nd choice is Paul Wilkinson who is given a 4 year deal to provide the club with stability.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, February 20, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 86
Quoted from Will Haddock

David Healy - young manager on the way up, which is an appointment that has traditionally worked well for Town wouldnt be averse at all
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 20, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 87

Wonder where this leaves Wilko's position now ?
Posted by: wodewick, February 20, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 88
That 0% of fact catches you out every time.
Posted by: Davec, February 20, 2018, 11:34am; Reply: 89
Quoted from promotion plaice

Permanent manager probably
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 20, 2018, 11:34am; Reply: 90
Does this mean the bookies will open up again and give us some fresh meat to dissect, champion and dismiss?
Posted by: Ipswin, February 20, 2018, 11:35am; Reply: 91
Quoted from promotion plaice

PMSL if its offered to him and he says intercourse off as well!

Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 92
Quoted from Ipswin

Really?

He's only been out of work for a few weeks.
GTFC is hardly a fantastic prospect and the money offered was probably crap for what was expected .
Chances are he thought Fenty was an idiot.
His missus has probably had her fill of second rate seaside resorts over the last five years or so
He must surely have his sights set higher than BP

Problem is it makes whoever gets it second choice (or maybe even third or fourth depending on who else tells us to intercourse off)

Sums this club up in the eyes of the football world I think - look out for some totally unknown from the Ryman league to come in on £25 a week

I wish i had your sunny disposition.  ;)

Maybe we just wanted him short term to see how it went until the end of the season. The GTFC job is still a good gig for someone and we don't know why he turned us down do we?
Posted by: davmariner, February 20, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 93
Well Bentley and I were half right in the sense of us wanting Brown. My understanding was that we held advanced discussions with him and it was all but a done deal. I guess the Fleetwood job changed things. Back to the drawing board, but won’t be Askey apparently.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 20, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 94
well...

its either our fault because Phil read the fishy and a small vocal minority were negative and ridiculed his fake tan making him feel unwelcome ...

or

the breakfast in Browns Cafe clearly wasn't upto standard..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 20, 2018, 11:41am; Reply: 95
Quoted from davmariner
Well Bentley and I were half right in the sense of us wanting Brown. My understanding was that we held advanced discussions with him and it was all but a done deal. I guess the Fleetwood job changed things. Back to the drawing board, but won’t be Askey apparently.

This is part of the problem. Better jobs come up all the time. And who would work with Fenty unless they had to...
Posted by: Ipswin, February 20, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 96
Quoted from ginnywings

I wish i had your sunny disposition.  ;)

Maybe we just wanted him short term to see how it went until the end of the season. The GTFC job is still a good gig for someone and we don't know why he turned us down do we?

If we only wanted him short term then I'm not surprised he said no, what would be the point unless Fenty offered him a fortune other than that I can think of lots of reasons he turned us down and why others will too.

Unless they have been unemployed for so long they are losing their houses or they fancy a step up from managing in the Lindsey Sunday League then Grimsby Town is definitely NOT a good gig for anyone at the moment

Posted by: oldun, February 20, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 97
He probably watched the Cambridge game.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 20, 2018, 11:46am; Reply: 98
John Sheridan until the end of the season and take it from there. History suggests he’d keep us up as that’s what he’s built his management career on doing.

We can then make a decision on a long term manager after the season has finished be it Sheridan staying on or bringing in somebody else.

I keep hearing/seeing that we need a young, hungry, progressive manager. We don’t. We need someone who will ensure we stay in League Two in the short term. John Sheridan is ideal for that job.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 20, 2018, 11:49am; Reply: 99
Quoted from GollyGTFC
John Sheridan until the end of the season and take it from there. History suggests he’d keep us up as that’s what he’s built his management career on doing.

We can then make a decision on a long term manager after the season has finished be it Sheridan staying on or bringing in somebody else.

I keep hearing/seeing that we need a young, hungry, progressive manager. We don’t. We need someone who will ensure we stay in League Two in the short term. John Sheridan is ideal for that job.

Unfortunately one of the best 'keeper uppers of lost causes' is currently busy managing Cardiff

Posted by: Civvy at last, February 20, 2018, 11:50am; Reply: 100
Quoted from moosey_club
well...

its either our fault because Phil read the fishy and a small vocal minority were negative and ridiculed his fake tan making him feel unwelcome ...

or

the breakfast in Browns Cafe clearly wasn't upto standard..

As a regular patron of that fine establishment, I can only conclude it must be 1st option 😉
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 11:58am; Reply: 101
Quoted from Civvy at last

As a regular patron of that fine establishment, I can only conclude it must be 1st option 😉

Agreed. The breakfast with Scallops is a thing of beauty.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 20, 2018, 12:00pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I keep hearing/seeing that we need a young, hungry, progressive manager. We don’t. We need someone who will ensure we stay in League Two in the short term.

Agreed. We need someone who can motivate and organise what he's been left. A five year plan for the training ground or whatever doesn't matter until May.
Posted by: fiveallive, February 20, 2018, 12:04pm; Reply: 103
Brown declared intrest in the job, when i first read he turned us down i thought maybe it was the fact there is no money, no ambition dated stadium and training ground youth lads don't get a look in poor team of players mostly all free and best players moved on who should have been kept.

A new manager that's not Wilkinson will just release has many as possible so they can rebuild. Where Wilkinson might do a Newell and keep give the deadwood another year like Newell did with Boshell and Clarke, I do hope a manager who comes in retains Summerfield he worth a new contract in my opinion.

I'm suprised Brown turned us down to be honest maybe a late call from Fleetwood who have more going for them then Grimsby if i had no ties to the club i would probably choose a team in a higher division then us.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 20, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 104
Disappointing news but there are still decent potential appointments out there. If we can tempt Uwe Rosler then go for it. Win percentage consistently above 40% (the only exception being under Cellino)
Posted by: davmariner, February 20, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Alfie

Not true.
Posted by: Davec, February 20, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Disappointing news but there are still decent potential appointments out there. If we can tempt Uwe Rosler then go for it. Win percentage consistently above 40% (the only exception being under Cellino)

I was recently talking to Fenty via PM and I suggested Uwe Rosler but he instantly turned it down and said his win percentage isn't much better than Slade.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Davec

I was recently talking to Fenty via PM and I suggested Uwe Rosler but he instantly turned it down and said his win percentage isn't much better than Slade.

But is more recent. Win percentage doesn't tell you everything, even if it is a good indicator. Sir Alan's is 38% for instance over his career.
Posted by: Alfie, February 20, 2018, 12:27pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from davmariner

Not true.

Convenient that he “turns it down” when we’re so close to appointing. It’s a bad look to be turned down by us so suits him to say he has “turned it down”.

I understand he applied informally through an agent but hasn’t been interviewed nor was he seriously considered.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 20, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Davec

Well this never happened
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, February 20, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Will Haddock
Telewag reporting a story from the weekend about David Healy...

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/linfield-chairman-denies-reports-suggesting-1237042

Rumour has to have come from somewhere - gives us hope that the club are making approaches to employed managers.

I was in Belfast at the weekend at the Northern Ireland League Cup Final. As the brand I'm UK Marketing Manager for makes both teams kits. In the Lounge during.. and after the game the talk was that Healy had applied for the job... so he had.

He won the League with Linfield last season and is receiving dogs abuse this season because it seems he has taken the club as far as he can... They are currently 4th with no chance of retaining the title.

Healy's teams are known for playing decent football, but in my opinion, If we were to get a manager from Northern Ireland, Dungannon Swifts manager Rod McAree would be the man. Plays very attractive football on the deck 11 of the 18 in the final squad came from the academy including former down loanee Dougie Wilson who went to Hull then went back to the swifts.
Posted by: realist, February 20, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 111
I think this club has become the poisoned chalice that no one wants  except for the desperate or inexperienced.  I hope not but can see Wilko in charge until the end of the season.  This club in its current  state is a career breaker.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 20, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 112
Didn't we have Dougie Wilson on loan for a while a few years ago?
Posted by: RoboCod, February 20, 2018, 12:42pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from realist
I think this club has become the poisoned chalice that no one wants  except for the desperate or inexperienced.  I hope not but can see Wilko in charge until the end of the season.  This club in its current  state is a career breaker.

Have a little faith. There's been clubs in the past as bad, even worse off than the current Town setup who have been not only rescued bit gone on to bigger better things. Some managers relish this kind of  challenge too...we just need to find them.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from RoboCod

Have a little faith. There's been clubs in the past as bad, even worse off than the current Town setup who have been not only rescued bit gone on to bigger better things. Some managers relish this kind of  challenge too...we just need to find them.

Agreed. We are a solvent League 2 club with a loyal fan base, which is bigger than most in this division. Even with all their off field problems, Blackpool found a decent manager and got promoted.
Posted by: oldun, February 20, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from realist

Looks like it. Plus the desperate maybe want too much money. The inexperienced would probably be keen to work in the FL, but coming here in our present state might put them off. I really don't know what to think. Someone to guarantee us league football is the priority so offer a big incentive payment to achieve that, then review again at the end of the season and make a fresh start I agree it is looking more like Wilko to the end of the season.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 20, 2018, 12:58pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed. We are a solvent League 2 club with a loyal fan base, which is bigger than most in this division. Even with all their off field problems, Blackpool found a decent manager and got promoted.

I agree but it is this difficult period of the next few weeks that makes it more scary.

Would a decent manager risk their reputation on saving us from the drop with so little time to do it in, with players he doesn't know that are very poor? If he did, then great and we can look forward to a summer of rebuilding etc. But if he takes the job and we continue in freefall... its a big risk.

Once again the board have played a shocker - a few weeks ago dismissing our poor  form and saying we were comfortable in the table. Left it too late to make the change and are now in a relegation battle with no manager.
Posted by: nightrider, February 20, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Well this never happened

;D
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 20, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

I was in Belfast at the weekend at the Northern Ireland League Cup Final. As the brand I'm UK Marketing Manager for makes both teams kits. In the Lounge during.. and after the game the talk was that Healy had applied for the job... so he had.

He won the League with Linfield last season and is receiving dogs abuse this season because it seems he has taken the club as far as he can... They are currently 4th with no chance of retaining the title.

Healy's teams are known for playing decent football, but in my opinion, If we were to get a manager from Northern Ireland, Dungannon Swifts manager Rod McAree would be the man. Plays very attractive football on the deck 11 of the 18 in the final squad came from the academy including former down loanee Dougie Wilson who went to Hull then went back to the swifts.

So, sounds credible, Linfield Chairman trying to sweep it under the carpet, but rumour confirmed by Wrawbz 'on the ground'.

Most appealing candidate from all mentioned so far for me.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 119

I agree but it is this difficult period of the next few weeks that makes it more scary.

Would a decent manager risk their reputation on saving us from the drop with so little time to do it in, with players he doesn't know that are very poor? If he did, then great and we can look forward to a summer of rebuilding etc. But if he takes the job and we continue in freefall... its a big risk.

Once again the board have played a shocker - a few weeks ago dismissing our poor  form and saying we were comfortable in the table. Left it too late to make the change and are now in a relegation battle with no manager.

We may be in a bad spot, but if a manager cannot keep us up from our position, then he won't be much use anyway. There are still 6 teams below us and we are 9 points clear of 23rd spot.

Do agree that we have fiddled while Rome burned. The only type of action has been inaction.
Posted by: realist, February 20, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 120
I hope your positive outlook is right. We need big Ron.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 20, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 121
i did warn you about the OP .............. :-/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 20, 2018, 1:39pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from realist
I hope your positive outlook is right. We need big Ron.

That Pickering bloke from Hull do you mean?  ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 20, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That Pickering bloke from Hull do you mean?  ;)

Never heard of him.  Anyone know who he is ???????
Posted by: Davec, February 20, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Well this never happened

well it did....

http://i66.tinypic.com/20iz5f5.png
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 20, 2018, 3:47pm; Reply: 125
Is this groundhog day?  Does the thread title mean that Phil Brown will be names as our new manager tomorrow (WEDNESDAY)?
Posted by: davmariner, February 20, 2018, 3:53pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from Davec

well it did....

http://i66.tinypic.com/20iz5f5.png

Photoshop?
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 20, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Is this groundhog day?  Does the thread title mean that Phil Brown will be names as our new manager tomorrow (WEDNESDAY)?

Yes,

BUT

He will turn us down.
Posted by: Garth, February 20, 2018, 5:04pm; Reply: 128
Cancel the away days smothered with fake tan shame ;D
Posted by: davmariner, February 20, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Alfie

Convenient that he “turns it down” when we’re so close to appointing. It’s a bad look to be turned down by us so suits him to say he has “turned it down”.

I understand he applied informally through an agent but hasn’t been interviewed nor was he seriously considered.

Fake news.

[tweet]966049204891078656[/tweet]

[tweet]966049630189506561[/tweet]
Posted by: Tommy, February 20, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from davmariner

Fake news.

How do you know Mike White has the true facts?
Journalists often get wrong info.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 20, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 131
I imagine Mike White spoke to Phil Brown, or Phil Brown's agent, since he'd know him well from his Hull City days.
Posted by: Tommy, February 20, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 132
He might have done.

I'm not saying he's wrong.

He might well have got his info from Brown or his agent. Even then it might not be true as they might have an agenda.

My point is just for people not to believe something as 100% fact just because someone says it.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 20, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 133
Can't help thinking we've dodged a bullet with Brown not wanting job
Posted by: Alfie, February 20, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from davmariner

Fake news.

Point still stands. Brown’s agent tapped up club, he went through media, club considered him for interview but decided against it.

I’m not denying he’s saying that he turned it down. I’m just saying that he was never interviewed. He’s going through the same channels as it helps him look good for other vacancies (e.g. Fleetwood).
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 20, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Can't help thinking we've dodged a bullet with Brown not wanting job

Hope you don't mind being reminded about that when we appoint Wilko.
Posted by: davmariner, February 20, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Tommy
He might have done.

I'm not saying he's wrong.

He might well have got his info from Brown or his agent. Even then it might not be true as they might have an agenda.

My point is just for people not to believe something as 100% fact just because someone says it.

Initially Alfie claimed yesterday that Phil Brown hadn’t applied, wasn’t interested, is on holiday and hadn’t even spoken to GTFC. I know for a fact that this isn’t true. As Bentley and I stated last night, in the midst of the strong John Askey speculation, Brown was set to become manager. It was confirmed to the point that GTFC were briefing out to media outlets that there was going to be an announcement today. There wasn’t, so it fell through as RH rightly pointed out.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 20, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 137
Mike white is an arrogant sharp object in my opinion anyway and Phil Brown is a sharp object for wearing fake tan so whatever.

next.
Posted by: LH, February 20, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 138
If you approach a manager do you really need to interview them? You’re approaching them because you think they can do the job you require.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 139
I don't care who said what to who, and whether Phil Brown was interviewed or not. He isn't going to be our manager, so we can cross him off the list and move on.
Posted by: davmariner, February 20, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 140
On a separate note I think Phil Brown is a pr1ck for announcing it to the media that he turned us down. Could damage us massively if other managers we approach think that they weren’t the favourite candidate. Entirely for his own self-promotion.
Posted by: chaos33, February 20, 2018, 10:18pm; Reply: 141
In a nutshell Ginny.
Now, what's  Uwe Rosler's e-mail address?
Posted by: Alfie, February 20, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 142
http://bit.ly/2Gys5Ip

;)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 10:28pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from Alfie

Interesting. Saying it would be a massive wrench to leave the club and not scotching the rumours.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 5:13pm