Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bigdog, February 17, 2018, 9:15pm
So there's twelve games left, twelve games for GTFC fans to do everything they can to contribute towards their beloved club from falling into the abyss and probably never to return.

Is it the right time to decide not to go and support the team? Is it the right time to protest against the board during games? Is it the right time to berate those under-performing players that have let us down so badly this season?

As you rally around your club at this desperate hour, try picturing this..

When the players are out there on the pitch, blank out whichever player is wearing the kit and just fixate on his shirt. Just eleven Grimsby Town shirts moving around the pitch because it's all that matters. Those players will be gone by next season, yet the shirts will remain. Those black and white Grimsby Town shirts. We need a raft of new players under a new manager playing in League Two next season in those famous black and whites.

Can we support those shirts for twelve more games? Can we put aside the "Fenty Out" chants because he's got the message already?

By all means rant and rave on The Fishy as it's the right place to vent frustrations, but can we all do our bit? Not let these twelve games pass us by in a haze of fury and impending disaster and simply support those shirts to safety and the rest will sort itself out when our goal is achieved..

Posted by: chaos33, February 17, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 1
It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself....
Posted by: Bigdog, February 17, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from chaos33
It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself....

We all look back on life with regret in how we have acted in tough times and thought we could have done better in some of those moments. Do we want to regret spending the next twelve games protesting and get relegated and always wonder if we had acted differently, there may have been a better outcome?

We all say players and boards come and go. So by putting aside our rightful rage at what's going on and it helps muster the odd point or two to stay up, it can only benefit us the fans as we are the constant, The other bottlejobs and custodians are merely transitional ships in the night in the grand scheme of things. To continue protest game after game could only affect ourselves long term, not them..
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 17, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 3
That only goes so far though doesn’t it? We can all start the game with the best intentions but that only continues if it’s replicated on the pitch and sadly at the minute when we concede a goal the players lose all confidence and spirit and so the fans turn. Vicious cycle.
Posted by: chaos33, February 17, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 4
Mate, it's won or lost on the pitch. It has f**k all to do with how you or I perceive the current context the club finds itself in.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 17, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 5
My season ticket means i will be at the remaining home games, and i will support the team on the pitch as i always do. Beyond that, i just don't know. Not doing non league again. The club has used up all my good will.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 17, 2018, 9:36pm; Reply: 6
oh i can easily.....
i dont think i abuse players aside from the odd groan and FFS when they do something disappointing anyway....
but with this current crop virtually none of them register on my radar.....
i feel pretty much zero allegiance to any of them such has been the turnover of players and managers in the last 18 months or so...
from a passionate , proud , beaming supporter at Wembley to an apathetic one now.

Well done the board, Bignot, the board, Slade, the board.  

Roll on next season when hopefully the board and players have been replaced.

Posted by: Tinymariner, February 17, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 7
Certain fans attend matches with the premeditated intention of protesting ‘Fenty Out’ on a large banner. Like the OP states, now is not the time for this. We are in extreme danger of relegation and we need to be united in our support for the team. Our time to air any grievances will come, IMO it’s not now. UTFM
Posted by: ginnywings, February 17, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Tinymariner
Certain fans attend matches with the premeditated intention of protesting ‘Fenty Out’ on a large banner. Like the OP states, now is not the time for this. We are in extreme danger of relegation and we need to be united in our support for the team. Our time to air any grievances will come, IMO it’s not now. UTFM

What difference does it make, really? The players are just not good enough, whether there is deafening silence or a raucous crowd. Just another excuse to cover p1ss poor management and players. If they give us something to get excited about, then they will be backed unswervingly. The fans only react to what they see on the pitch and i've seen 1 or is it 2 goals this year?
Posted by: chaos33, February 17, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

What difference does it make, really? The players are just not good enough, whether there is deafening silence or a raucous crowd. Just another excuse to cover p1ss poor management and players. If they give us something to get excited about, then they will be backed unswervingly. The fans only react to what they see on the pitch and i've seen 1 or is it 2 goals this year?

This. Bare facts.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 17, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Tinymariner

We have passed the point of no return I reckon.

We have supported them through thin and thin for years - 800 went to Cambridge today after 12 games without a win in the bottom tier!

The club have brought all this on themselves, and as a huge fan I hope we escape relegation but whatever I do from now on will not make a jot of difference.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 17, 2018, 10:08pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Tinymariner

Not entirely sure that grown-ups need to be told what to do. Due to long-standing plans, we won't be there next Saturday and, to be frank, I'm not bothered. Radio will be on but I'm resigned to relegation. Slade & Fenty have sucked my enthusiasm for GTFC out of me due to their rank incompetence. Fexit is now as imperative as Brexit - and it can't come too soon.
Posted by: sydney, February 17, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 12
From The Heart Bigdog and on the whole agree
But I went today with all the family and we where positive but not sure in 12 games what difference the fans can make other than not be negative
V V depressed tonight we where so poor today
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, February 17, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 13
We will survive this season thanks to how bad Morecambe, Chesterfield and Barnet are. It is next season that concerns me. We desperately need someone to invest in the Club or the writing is on the wall.
Posted by: HistonMariner, February 17, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 14
RCA - Red Cross Alert.

I agree with Bigdog. The greater cause must be the priority ie EFL survival. I heard it suggested today that relegation might be the best way to start again and rebuild. I didn’t think so at the time and after further reflection I definitely do
not think that is the way. Deep down I think everybody wants to stay up and whatever armoury we’ve got has to stay
together at the very least during games. The time for rucks, rants, despair, anger, arguments, debates, protests, etc
should be put on hold for 90 minutes a week. Today was ugly at times and the vast majority whilst gutted and genuinely worried were also embarrassed.

RCA - UTMM.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 17, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from HistonMariner
RCA - Red Cross Alert.

I agree with Bigdog. The greater cause must be the priority ie EFL survival. I heard it suggested today that relegation might be the best way to start again and rebuild. I didn’t think so at the time and after further reflection I definitely do
not think that is the way. Deep down I think everybody wants to stay up and whatever armoury we’ve got has to stay
together at the very least during games. The time for rucks, rants, despair, anger, arguments, debates, protests, etc
should be put on hold for 90 minutes a week. Today was ugly at times and the vast majority whilst gutted and genuinely worried were also embarrassed.

RCA - UTMM.

I agree, but it won't happen. Too many people are too fed up, and i've seen normally mild mannered, balanced fans, seething with anger at games. The more vocal fans are going to make themselves heard, whether we agree with it or not. It's up to the players to rise above it and perform, because that is the only thing that will shut some fans up.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from moosey_club
oh i can easily.....
i dont think i abuse players aside from the odd groan and FFS when they do something disappointing anyway....
but with this current crop virtually none of them register on my radar.....
i feel pretty much zero allegiance to any of them such has been the turnover of players and managers in the last 18 months or so...
from a passionate , proud , beaming supporter at Wembley to an apathetic one now.

Well done the board, Bignot, the board, Slade, the board.  

Roll on next season when hopefully the board and players have been replaced.

Same

Posted by: GrimRob, February 17, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 17
Hopefully Village Green away in the last game won't be a repeat of Burton in 2010.  :)

As for the OP question we don't need to worry about the next 12 games we just need to win 1 or 2 and the pressure would be right off. We'll probably (I hope) playing totally meaningless games in a few weeks and the new manager will be like Slade was last year, just planning for the close season.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 17, 2018, 10:37pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Tinymariner

That sort of thing is long overdue. I will be getting behind the players, but I'm sure the players won't be put out if the board get a bit of stick. Probably deflects grief from the players.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 17, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 19
One thing is certain that we must win our home games against Barnet, Chesterfield and Port Vale,

Otherwise we will be in deep poo poo,

I hope our new manager can instil  a bit of passion in the team to do this,

Then we will be safe.
Posted by: Croxton, February 17, 2018, 10:48pm; Reply: 20
Thanks to my railcard and bus pass I managed to keep expenses down to £90 today. Many family groups will have spent much more. These are the sums Mr. Marley fails to compute. Whether we survive in the EFL or not there has to be some return or involvement for the investment fans make.
On arriving home an hour ago, family circumstances have changed and I am now unable to make it next week. No pang of disappointment sadly.
As ever, Chaos and Ginny speak the hard truths.
Posted by: barralad, February 17, 2018, 10:55pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Bigdog
So there's twelve games left, twelve games for GTFC fans to do everything they can to contribute towards their beloved club from falling into the abyss and probably never to return.

Is it the right time to decide not to go and support the team? Is it the right time to protest against the board during games? Is it the right time to berate those under-performing players that have let us down so badly this season?

As you rally around your club at this desperate hour, try picturing this..

When the players are out there on the pitch, blank out whichever player is wearing the kit and just fixate on his shirt. Just eleven Grimsby Town shirts moving around the pitch because it's all that matters. Those players will be gone by next season, yet the shirts will remain. Those black and white Grimsby Town shirts. We need a raft of new players under a new manager playing in League Two next season in those famous black and whites.

Can we support those shirts for twelve more games? Can we put aside the "Fenty Out" chants because he's got the message already?

By all means rant and rave on The Fishy as it's the right place to vent frustrations, but can we all do our bit? Not let these twelve games pass us by in a haze of fury and impending disaster and simply support those shirts to safety and the rest will sort itself out when our goal is achieved..

This sums up entirely my view. I do not think I could survive (in a footballing sense) another relegation. With that in mind, difficult though it might be, and God knows at times today I was screaming at certain players, as a fan all I can do is try to get behind the team and ignore my prejudices about certain individuals. As a fan it is all I can do and barring (further) ill health I'll be at every one of those remaining 12 games...UTFM
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 18, 2018, 11:34am; Reply: 22
800 of us in Cambridge clearly shows we care. Yes a large amount of that number (myself included) attended due to the bald one being sacked and expecting some kind of change!

19 mins in we conceded a rather simple goal and that was that unfortunately. We knew that this team has no fight in them. Their heads dropped and unfortunately did ours. And at full time how many of the 800 was left?

Worried for our clubs future. Really cannot imagine non league again, yeh we had a few laughs but do we really need to be in that mess again!?

Depressed and deflated but as always GTID
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 18, 2018, 12:30pm; Reply: 23
Mental strength will certainly play a part, and I do wonder if some of the players are up for the fight. I noticed that Sam Jones isn't featuring much at Shrewsbury due to his fitness levels, so whilst technically we aren't very good anyway, I do wonder about whether our fitness levels are at the level they should be. We seem to be folding very tamely in games, and very really are able to get back into matches if the other teams score first. Whilst we're still 9 points off relegation the home games against Port Vale, Barnet and Chesterfield are crucial, and we need to be a leaner, meaner team, that's prepared to fight if we are going to start winning games again...UTM.
Posted by: Mallyner, February 18, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 24
I can't copy and paste on this cheap tablet but apart from Jones and Jamie Osborne who only played the last 4 minutes and neither scored, we still have the team who beat Swindon 3-2. If Dembele is fit, why not try that against Exeter. We could replace Jones with one of Wilks or Jackson.  :)
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 24, 2018, 6:30pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Grimbiggs
[b]Mental strength will certainly play a part, and I do wonder if some of the players are up for the fight.[/b] I noticed that Sam Jones isn't featuring much at Shrewsbury due to his fitness levels, so whilst technically we aren't very good anyway, I do wonder about whether our fitness levels are at the level they should be. We seem to be folding very tamely in games, and very really are able to get back into matches if the other teams score first. Whilst we're still 9 points off relegation the home games against Port Vale, Barnet and Chesterfield are crucial, and we need to be a leaner, meaner team, that's prepared to fight if we are going to start winning games again...UTM.

We seem to be posting the same remarks every week, it's getting so frustrating!

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 24, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 26
York got in the Div 2 playoffs.  Then had 2 consecutive relegations (the first with Berrett and Summerfield in CM).  

They also spent 10 years plus trying to get a new ground.  Also have had the same Chairman for many years who repeatedly showed bad judgement in appointing bad managers, who then brought in generally poor players.  

The Chairman has been tight with funding but has kept the club going; but he wants control of all the shares. He conflicts with the Trust and the fans. Many fans have lost trust and hope for any future success.

These factors were significant in their fall from grace.

Good job Town have a different business model for failure.  :(

Posted by: moosey_club, February 24, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 27
pretty sure the club have waved the white flag on 12 games or 11 games....did i hear Wilko single out the three games against  Port Vale/ Chestrfield/ Barnet as now being important ?
Posted by: TAGG, February 24, 2018, 8:18pm; Reply: 28
If you buy a Ticket on the day or have a season ticket (like me) you are then supporting the club and players and if you pay your money you can complain in whatever way you wish (I just urine off to the club when it's excrement. I'm now a alcoholic)if that's with banners or changing Fenty out then so be it.
A lot on here go on about the way people should support the club and they never go to the games themselves FFS
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:43am